Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Tubby Smith’s decision on Lawson could have major impact on program
Bookmark and Share
TigerTimmy Offline
Outsider

I Root For: Tigers & Titans
"So what happens now?" Chuck Lawson wrote Saturday. "Does Tubby give in and say, 'Coach Lawson you're my 3rd guy for this year,' or does he say, 'Coach it's been real?' Does he go ahead and make the hire of Saul (Smith), his son who played under him at Kentucky? What's kind of funny, he's trying to replace the father of kids with his son who played for him, kind of ironic."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/t...63471.html
04-24-2016 01:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

John44932 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Tubby Smith’s decision on Lawson could have major impact on program
Jeez this is getting out of hand.

Maybe I'm just sensitive, because we just got the program back out of Josh's control. I hate to see us not let Tubby put together his own staff and do his thing. I'd rather see a down year than tying Tubby's hands over (potentially) 4 players. I don't care how good they are - it's not worth it.
04-24-2016 03:22 AM
tigerpride96 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
NO ONE holds the program hostage for any reason, whatsoever. IF that means Dedric and future Lawsons go someplace else, then so be it.
04-24-2016 05:29 AM
ctowntiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(04-24-2016 05:29 AM)tigerpride96 Wrote:  NO ONE holds the program hostage for any reason, whatsoever. IF that means Dedric and future Lawsons go someplace else, then so be it.

Agree. You don't try to pull a power play on a future hall of fame coach with a national championship under his belt. That may work on a clown like Josh but needs to end here. Tubby can weather one bad year cleaning up Josh's mess. If we keep Lawson now, what if his demands increase yearly? Maybe he'll want a bigger salary or lead assistant job. If you can't get the job based on your own merit then too bad. At this point I hope they all go. Maybe they can follow Josh to GaTech. Keelon can be his X'S and O's guy. I always put my kids first. Incredibly lame to see a father put his kids at a disadvantage for his own gain. His sons could have benefitted from real coaching under Tubby.
04-24-2016 07:37 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(04-24-2016 05:29 AM)tigerpride96 Wrote:  NO ONE holds the program hostage for any reason, whatsoever. IF that means Dedric and future Lawsons go someplace else, then so be it.

Would Tubby not be holding the program hostage if he hires his son Saul who brings much less to the table than Keelon.

Wouldn't it be Tubby putting his sons future ahead of Memphis' because he is under contract and we cant get rid of him...
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2016 07:42 AM by macgar32.)
04-24-2016 07:41 AM
camdentiger Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: memphis tigers
LOOK what he can bring from just Memphis we can only WINhttp://csnbbs.com/images/smilies/cogs.gif

Would Tubby not be holding the program hostage if he hires his son Saul who brings much less to the table than Keelon.

Wouldn't it be Tubby putting his sons future ahead of Memphis' because he is under contract and we cant get rid of him...
[/quote]
04-24-2016 07:57 AM
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2016 07:41 AM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Keelon's value is his sons, period. There seems to be some evidence he doesn't have the skills to coach at the D-1 level, lacks skills to run a practice, can't scout, can't otherwise recruit. And I'm not putting all this on Keelon. His previous head coach lacked those coaching skills so he had little exposure to learn & hone those skills. Keelon would do well to find a way to stay on Tubby's staff, learn some skills & become a better coach. And there's no comparison between the experience of Saul Smith & Keelon, Saul has been a college coach since 2007 & not the entire period under his dad. So if Keelon's current value are his talented sons, then he needs to either learn some D-1 skills under Tubby or understand as soon as one of his sons goes elsewhere, his college coaching career is over - or severely limit school choices & career choices for his sons.
04-24-2016 07:58 AM
CoachJammer Offline
Bench Warmer

I'm leaning to this side of the argument. I just wish it wasn't playing out so publicly not only locally, but nationally.
04-24-2016 08:00 AM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

This board is something else. After a max of about 4 days of relative peace after dumping Pastner and hiring Tubby, it seems back to its usual self.

Maybe it's just the usual sports doldrums for this time of year.
04-24-2016 08:01 AM
NigelTufnel Offline
Spelling Bee Champiun

I Root For: Ribs and Beer!
At a previous job, there was another manager who everyone knew was banging the boss ... she otherwise was unqualified for her job. She said stupid things at meetings that made it clear that she did not have a clue.

No one liked her, but several people had to work closely with her. It did not lead to a successful team or environment.

The same could be true here, if the other assistants know that the only reason Keelon is there is b/c of his sons, they will have no respect for him and it will lead to a toxic environment that will trickle down to the team. Now, I'm sure one might come to the conclusion that bringing Saul on board is the same thing ... daddy just hiring his son; but, the staff has worked together for a long while, so it's fairly clear that it works.

With Josh, the whole thing was a clown show anyway, so it didn't really matter. If Tubby isn't going to respect Keelon, and the other staff members aren't going to respect him, then it's probably not worth it, even if it means losing some players. As for Keelon himself, do you really want to work in an environment where you are not respected?

I still don't get how they think that a waiver is automatic ... if they can't get a waiver, then the whole thing is irrelevant.
04-24-2016 08:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
papajohn Offline
1st String

I have lost all respect for the Lawson clan (adults, not kids) for handling this in such a classless, public manner and for putting Tubby in this no-win situation so early in his tenure. I don't know what Tubby should do, and I would hate to lose the Lawson boys, but I am upset at the way the Lawson adults have chosen to approach this.
04-24-2016 09:20 AM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(04-24-2016 08:01 AM)cotton1991 Wrote:  This board is something else. After a max of about 4 days of relative peace after dumping Pastner and hiring Tubby, it seems back to its usual self.

Is it this boards fault when people who are supposedly good businessmen make rash decisions on hiring a coach without weighing all the options? Someone lied to Keelon and this is news. This message board isn't the reason Josh Pastner was a bad coach nor is it the reason the UofM is in this current soap opera.

Good grief smh
04-24-2016 09:22 AM
dfwtxtiger Offline
All American

Dad needs to suck it up and be grateful that he can still have a position at Memphis. Most parents I know, would do anything for their kids, if it helps the child succeed.
A rational parent could see the benefits of staying on, even in a different position.
The sons will get much better coaching this year, and both have an opportunity to improve and help their draft status.

If I was in that position, my kids come first. I would move down the totem pole, so my kids could have better teachers, coaches, etc.
But this idea that he thinks he is better than the program, and possibly hampering his kids' career, is childish and immature.
He should be saying "what can I do to get better and help this program, as well as my sons", instead of having family members put Tubby and the school in a spot.
04-24-2016 09:23 AM
tiger1016 Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2016 09:23 AM)dfwtxtiger Wrote:  Dad needs to suck it up and be grateful that he can still have a position at Memphis. Most parents I know, would do anything for their kids, if it helps the child succeed.
A rational parent could see the benefits of staying on, even in a different position.
The sons will get much better coaching this year, and both have an opportunity to improve and help their draft status.

If I was in that position, my kids come first. I would move down the totem pole, so my kids could have better teachers, coaches, etc.
But this idea that he thinks he is better than the program, and possibly hampering his kids' career, is childish and immature.
He should be saying "what can I do to get better and help this program, as well as my sons", instead of having family members put Tubby and the school in a spot.

+1
04-24-2016 09:45 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
Keep Lawson for next year; reevaluate then. There's nothing difficult about it.
04-24-2016 09:48 AM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

(04-24-2016 09:22 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  
(04-24-2016 08:01 AM)cotton1991 Wrote:  This board is something else. After a max of about 4 days of relative peace after dumping Pastner and hiring Tubby, it seems back to its usual self.

Is it this boards fault when people who are supposedly good businessmen make rash decisions on hiring a coach without weighing all the options? Someone lied to Keelon and this is news. This message board isn't the reason Josh Pastner was a bad coach nor is it the reason the UofM is in this current soap opera.

Good grief smh

Don't tie me into the pro-Josh crowd.

Your position that "supposedly good businessmen make rash decisions on hiring a coach without weighing all the options" ten days into the hiring is what I was critiquing.
04-24-2016 09:51 AM
Advertisement

TigerSeth Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Send the Lawson's packing....all of them.
04-24-2016 09:55 AM
MemTiger90 Offline
All American

You scorn Keelon, then you don't get his current sons, but more importantly, you don't get his future 5 star top 10 younger sons. You also don't get any other future star player that Keelon is connected with. Same thing if you scorn Penny..

Doing these things would be huge mistakes. The only 5 stars you're going to get here are kids that are from here. (Unless you're calipari, of course)
04-24-2016 10:01 AM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(04-24-2016 10:01 AM)MemTiger90 Wrote:  You scorn Keelon, then you don't get his current sons, but more importantly, you don't get his future 5 star top 10 younger sons. You also don't get any other future star player that Keelon is connected with. Same thing if you scorn Penny..

Doing these things would be huge mistakes. The only 5 stars you're going to get here are kids that are from here. (Unless you're calipari, of course)
04-24-2016 10:02 AM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
Keelon ain't to blame dumbazzes
04-24-2016 10:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.