WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Spring game recap
ColinApocalypse Offline

I Root For: WMU
Spring game recap
I'm just gonna post my thoughts from the spring game here, and others are encouraged to do the same.

As usual, this was a pretty ho-hum spring game. No tackling, but they went at it in the trenches and there were a few big hits in the game.

It was hard to get a read on a lot of things. Most of the big-name players didn't play or barely played at all (Davis, Bogan, Terrell, Phillips, Bellamy, etc...), meaning most of the game was 2nd and 3rd stringers. It was nice to get a look at our depth though and see some guys that would normally not see the field.

They were also constantly switching out personnel in the trenches, so I have no idea what the depth chart is going into the fall. At one point, I saw the starting O-line as Okorafor at LT, Day at LG, Keenoy at C, Juriga at RG and Moton at RT, but again...they were switching guys around all day. It was also hard to keep track because there were no names on the jerseys and they didn't hand out programs...so I was going off of memory.

POSITIVES:

- Butch Hampton looked GREAT. He was nailing 50-yarders and performed very well throughout the day. I expect him to be a polished kicker by the fall. Impressive to see out of a true frosh.

- Carrington Thompson looked really good and he'll make a nice compliment to Davis. Michael Henry also played well, working out of the slot.

- Quarterbacks. They all looked very much improved. Tom Flacco looked better as a passer, but still remains more of a threat with his legs. He had TDs both on the ground and through the air. Jon Wassink looked good, more accurate than before. Matt Little was shaky at first, but settled in to make a couple nice throws. He still has work to do, as expected.

- RBs. Bogan and Franklin looked decent in limited action. Tucker and Ekwoge looked pretty good, but they were running behind 2nd and 3rd string O-lines so it's hard to get a read. Ekwoge doubles as a receiving threat.

- Trevor Sweeney lined up in the slot and had a good day, catching several passes.

- D-line looked good all day, including the backups. Keion Adams is clearly turning into a leader both on and off the field. Daniel Jackson and Andre Turner played well.

- No injuries! Fleck played things very safe to keep everyone healthy for the fall.

- Malik Rucker played very well. Had one PI call, but he also picked off Terrell and had a couple PBUs.

- Walk-on WR Jimmy Kepouros had a nice pitch-and-catch from Little with YAC. Looked fast.

- Wassink threw a bomb to Keishawn Watson. Both looked great on the play.

- Derrick Mitchell looked solid on kick-offs and punts.

- Beautiful weather and decent crowd today. Looked like there were upwards of 500 people there.

NEGATIVES:

- Not a lot of negatives

- Depth is a concern for the linebackers and secondary. Rucker played well, but that's about it. Again, it's hard to tell without the starters playing today, but I wasn't impressed with our depth in the defensive back seven.

- Where is Kadeem Goulbourne? Had a couple of targets from Matt Little, no catches. Didn't make any noise today. He was a highly-touted guy coming out of HS and he has good size. I have no idea what the deal is.

- Others that I didn't see at all (might have just been me): Giovanni Ricci, Tony Balabani, tight ends doing anything other than blocking, Justin Ferguson.

Other observations:

- For punt and kick return duties, I saw Carrington Thompson and Anton Curtis getting reps. Keishawn Watson too I think.

- Spring "change your best" awards: offense - Carrington Thompson, defense - Caleb Bailey, leadership - Zach Terrell

- After today, I think we'll be seeing true freshmen get playing time in the linebackers and secondary. Especially the linebackers.

All in all, it's hard to make many judgements based on a glorified practice like this. No tackling, conservative play-call, few starters on the field, etc...
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2016 02:11 PM by ColinApocalypse.)
04-16-2016 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

RE: Spring game recap
WOTS is that Nick Matich is out with a torn ACL. Wasn't wearing pads at the spring game.
04-16-2016 01:53 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

(04-16-2016 01:53 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  WOTS is that Nick Matich is out with a torn ACL. Wasn't wearing pads at the spring game.

Welp...that sucks
04-16-2016 01:55 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

"official" spring game stats:

http://www.wmubroncos.com/pdf9/4744007.pdf
04-16-2016 01:57 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
http://www.wmubroncos.com/pdf9/4744007.pdf

Stat girl just handed these to me.
04-16-2016 02:48 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

Beat me by 1 minute ^^
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2016 02:50 PM by Chipdip2.)
04-16-2016 02:49 PM
Advertisement

ColinApocalypse Offline

(04-16-2016 02:49 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  Beat me by 1 minute ^^

04-cheers
04-16-2016 02:56 PM
Broncos83 Offline
All American

Yes, Matich was on the sideline with what looks like a serious knee injury. I saw several other guys that I presume were injured and sitting out: Balabani, Beal (arm in a sling), Tranquill and Spillane. Looked like Davis and Bellamy just sat it out. Other random observations: Okafor is absolutely massive, love Wassink's and Little's arms, Keporous incredibly quick (not sure where he fits in), love our QB personnel (all 4 of them), I predict 1 of the 4 will move on at some point due to playing time considerations, love our RBs, OL looks deeps, no clue on Dline, LBs or DBs. Kicking and punting looked really solid. On the down side...several dropped passes, many, many poor snaps (to both QBs and FG holders)...gotta get that fixed. Also, not really sure how the WRs will shake out.

Loved the atmosphere overall. The Bronco Production videos shown at the half on all the video boards were awesome. Somebody (partially PJ and others as well) finally really knows how to market things in certain respects. The videos are first class and it was a great setting/time to show them. Got me pumped up I gotta say.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2016 03:01 PM by Broncos83.)
04-16-2016 02:59 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

Ah okay. I didn't see the injured guys. I was sitting on the other side of the field and didn't bother to walk over to the student section.
04-16-2016 03:27 PM
Stampede your face!! Offline
All American

(04-16-2016 12:28 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  I'm just gonna post my thoughts from the spring game here, and others are encouraged to do the same.

As usual, this was a pretty ho-hum spring game. No tackling, but they went at it in the trenches and there were a few big hits in the game.

It was hard to get a read on a lot of things. Most of the big-name players didn't play or barely played at all (Davis, Bogan, Terrell, Phillips, Bellamy, etc...), meaning most of the game was 2nd and 3rd stringers. It was nice to get a look at our depth though and see some guys that would normally not see the field.

They were also constantly switching out personnel in the trenches, so I have no idea what the depth chart is going into the fall. At one point, I saw the starting O-line as Okorafor at LT, Day at LG, Keenoy at C, Juriga at RG and Moton at RT, but again...they were switching guys around all day. It was also hard to keep track because there were no names on the jerseys and they didn't hand out programs...so I was going off of memory.

POSITIVES:

- Butch Hampton looked GREAT. He was nailing 50-yarders and performed very well throughout the day. I expect him to be a polished kicker by the fall. Impressive to see out of a true frosh.

- Carrington Thompson looked really good and he'll make a nice compliment to Davis. Michael Henry also played well, working out of the slot.

- Quarterbacks. They all looked very much improved. Tom Flacco looked better as a passer, but still remains more of a threat with his legs. He had TDs both on the ground and through the air. Jon Wassink looked good, more accurate than before. Matt Little was shaky at first, but settled in to make a couple nice throws. He still has work to do, as expected.

- RBs. Bogan and Franklin looked decent in limited action. Tucker and Ekwoge looked pretty good, but they were running behind 2nd and 3rd string O-lines so it's hard to get a read. Ekwoge doubles as a receiving threat.

- Trevor Sweeney lined up in the slot and had a good day, catching several passes.

- D-line looked good all day, including the backups. Keion Adams is clearly turning into a leader both on and off the field. Daniel Jackson and Andre Turner played well.

- No injuries! Fleck played things very safe to keep everyone healthy for the fall.

- Malik Rucker played very well. Had one PI call, but he also picked off Terrell and had a couple PBUs.

- Walk-on WR Jimmy Kepouros had a nice pitch-and-catch from Little with YAC. Looked fast.

- Beautiful weather and decent crowd today. Looked like there were upwards of 500 people there.

NEGATIVES:

- Not a lot of negatives

- Depth is a concern for the linebackers and secondary. Rucker played well, but that's about it. Again, it's hard to tell without the starters playing today, but I wasn't impressed with our depth in the defensive back seven.

- Where is Kadeem Goulbourne? Had a couple of targets from Matt Little, no catches. Didn't make any noise today. He was a highly-touted guy coming out of HS and he has good size. I have no idea what the deal is.

- Others that I didn't see at all (might have just been me): Giovanni Ricci, Tony Balabani, tight ends doing anything other than blocking, Justin Ferguson.

Other observations:

- For punt and kick return duties, I saw Carrington Thompson and Anton Curtis getting reps. Keishawn Watson too I think.

- Spring "change your best" awards: offense - Carrington Thompson, defense - Caleb Bailey, leadership - Zach Terrell

- After today, I think we'll be seeing true freshmen get playing time in the linebackers and secondary. Especially the linebackers.

All in all, it's hard to make many judgements based on a glorified practice like this. No tackling, conservative play-call, few starters on the field, etc...

Looks like this class of 16' better come in ready to play. Didn't hear a peep out of Tristian Pipp. Did he play? Jakevin Jackson didn't record a tackle. I know they are resting Spillane. Nothing out of Engram that I heard. LB's are a concern. Spillane has to be healthy.

If you add Phillips, Beal and Tranquill to Rucker, Brown, O. Jackson, Davison and Ginwright, the depth back there looks pretty good. Especially considering three of the best 16' recruits are Boyd, Spears, and Claiborne.

If Matich is seriously hurt. Like miss 2016 hurt, that is a tremendous blow to DT depth. Down to Curle, Finley, Jackson, Simpkins and incoming freshmen pretty much. I take it back...Simpkins doesn't look to be on the roster anymore either.

This team needs to win at least 9 games this year to keep going forward. Looking at the roster, yeah there is some talent, but in a few spots, they are lacking. And it could hurt them.

PJ needs to figure it out.
04-16-2016 05:33 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

Wtf, Simpkins is gone now too? Crazy.

Yeah, secondary has the potential to be good if they stay healthy. I really hope Tranquill is 100% ready to go.

My more immediate concern is the linebackers though. It seems like this program cannot build LB depth to save its life. Didn't see Tristian Pipp, Jakevin Jackson or Paul Engram play. Robert Spillane was on the sideline. Austin Lewis and Jason Sylva are gone. We had walk-ons Cherocci and Carson playing most of the game. Rolle and Grace also played. My guess is that the incoming LBs will need to fill holes immediately. There are only 8 LBs and 10 DL on our roster at the moment, and that includes the injured guys.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2016 05:45 PM by ColinApocalypse.)
04-16-2016 05:44 PM
Advertisement

All American

(04-16-2016 05:44 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  Wtf, Simpkins is gone now too? Crazy.

Yeah, secondary has the potential to be good if they stay healthy. I really hope Tranquill is 100% ready to go.

My more immediate concern is the linebackers though. It seems like this program cannot build LB depth to save its life. Didn't see Tristian Pipp, Jakevin Jackson or Paul Engram play. Robert Spillane was on the sideline. Austin Lewis and Jason Sylva are gone. We had walk-ons Cherocci and Carson playing most of the game. Rolle and Grace also played. My guess is that the incoming LBs will need to fill holes immediately. There are only 8 LBs and 10 DL on our roster at the moment, and that includes the injured guys.

Yeah, having Carson and Cherocci as part of the plan probably isn't a good plan. The good thing is beyond Pipp, we have George, Culp, and Rogers coming in. Problem is, Rogers is coming off an ACL last summer, and George is a bit small and could use a red shirt year in the weight room. Culp looks ready to go thankfully, and they do have Mitch Heimbuch as well, who I think they would just be better served to play at LB instead of TE. They don't use their TE's anyway. Which means, they could use Jaylon Moore on the defensive line as well.

Jakevin Jackson is the invisible man here. If he was as advertised, I wouldn't be worried.
04-16-2016 07:09 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

What do you mean, "To keep going forward?"

He better win it all, no excuses. Simpsons was never going to see much PT, can't use that as an excuse.

(04-16-2016 05:33 PM)Stampede your face!! Wrote:  
(04-16-2016 12:28 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  I'm just gonna post my thoughts from the spring game here, and others are encouraged to do the same.

POSITIVES:

NEGATIVES:

- Not a lot of negatives

Other observations:

Looks like this class of 16' better come in ready to play. Didn't hear a peep out of Tristian Pipp. Did he play? Jakevin Jackson didn't record a tackle. I know they are resting Spillane. Nothing out of Engram that I heard. LB's are a concern. Spillane has to be healthy.

If you add Phillips, Beal and Tranquill to Rucker, Brown, O. Jackson, Davison and Ginwright, the depth back there looks pretty good. Especially considering three of the best 16' recruits are Boyd, Spears, and Claiborne.

If Matich is seriously hurt. Like miss 2016 hurt, that is a tremendous blow to DT depth. Down to Curle, Finley, Jackson, Simpkins and incoming freshmen pretty much. I take it back...Simpkins doesn't look to be on the roster anymore either.

This team needs to win at least 9 games this year to keep going forward. Looking at the roster, yeah there is some talent, but in a few spots, they are lacking. And it could hurt them.

04-16-2016 07:12 PM
All American

(04-16-2016 07:12 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  What do you mean, "To keep going forward?"

He better win it all, no excuses. Simpsons was never going to see much PT, can't use that as an excuse.

(04-16-2016 05:33 PM)Stampede your face!! Wrote:  [quote='ColinApocalypse' pid='13203362' dateline='1460827732']
I'm just gonna post my thoughts from the spring game here, and others are encouraged to do the same.

POSITIVES:

NEGATIVES:

- Not a lot of negatives

Other observations:

[/quote

I don't think I made an excuse. And by going forward, I mean win more games than the previous year, do better, or as PJ would say, keep "changing their best".

If he doesn't win it all this year? Are you going to pull your support of him? haha.
04-16-2016 09:05 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

Last years best was 8 wins with BG OSU and MSU on the schedule. Illini, NW and the crossover is much easier. UT is has a lot of talent to replace. Any way you slice it they should flat out win 9 games and win the league.
04-16-2016 09:39 PM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

I'm bummed I couldn't go. Looked like it was a gorgeous day yesterday. Any other observations??
04-17-2016 09:16 AM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(04-16-2016 09:39 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  Last years best was 8 wins with BG OSU and MSU on the schedule. Illini, NW and the crossover is much easier. UT is has a lot of talent to replace. Any way you slice it they should flat out win 9 games and win the league.

Toledo will be very good this season, maybe better than last.
Candle will not be as conservative as Campbell. IMO, Rockets upgraded at DC when Heacock went to ISU and the Rockets got Kent State's DC.
The transfers on Defense(Jhonny Williams DE/LB ND, Jeremi Powell OLB UF, and Earl Moore DT/NG U of Miami) help the Rockets with additional depth and experience. The UT Offense is loaded at the skill positions and only lose one starter off an OL unit that was a Joe Moore Semi-finalist (nation's Top 20 OL's). Logan Woodside replaces Phillip Ely at QB. Woodside went 8-2 as a starter in 2014(7-0 in MAC starts and a win in the
GoDaddy.com Bowl). Woodside's QB rating in 2014 was 142.6 compared
to Ely's 131.7 in 2015. Rising Star? Freshman RB Nevone McCrimmon's
40 yd TD run in the Spring Scrimmage raised a few eyebrows.
04-17-2016 09:27 AM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Sounds like things are unraveling in Kalamazoo or is it just the intelligentsia panicking?

LB, DL and WR depth all are reportedly questionable. Counting on #15? He isn't remotely close to Braverman. By committee? That is only done out of necessity and points to a drop off. Maybe utilizing the TE for more than an extra tackle would come into play?

Where is Swan Valley's Alex Grace? Why is Ja.... Jackson being counted on in his senior year when up to this point his contribution has been nil?
I sense "grabbing at straws". A little desperation.

I read repeatedly, maybe from the same poster, that Justin Tranquil is desperately needed. If healthy, yes. But isn't the reason he is at WMU was he blew out a knee in HS and all the bigs went away? Then last year he unfortunately too ripped a knee up. Why would anyone be leaning on him to make a difference?

What am I missing?
04-17-2016 09:48 AM
Dci007 Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-17-2016 09:48 AM)gobaseline Wrote:  Sounds like things are unraveling in Kalamazoo or is it just the intelligentsia panicking?

LB, DL and WR depth all are reportedly questionable. Counting on #15? He isn't remotely close to Braverman. By committee? That is only done out of necessity and points to a drop off. Maybe utilizing the TE for more than an extra tackle would come into play?

Where is Swan Valley's Alex Grace? Why is Ja.... Jackson being counted on in his senior year when up to this point his contribution has been nil?
I sense "grabbing at straws". A little desperation.

I read repeatedly, maybe from the same poster, that Justin Tranquil is desperately needed. If healthy, yes. But isn't the reason he is at WMU was he blew out a knee in HS and all the bigs went away? Then last year he unfortunately too ripped a knee up. Why would anyone be leaning on him to make a difference?

What am I missing?
Obviously you have lost your oar.... So many were held out because of injuries or simply small nicks. The secondary especially. Some of the 3 stars that have come in are finding out there is real competition for the position and the 3 stars they were given means squat. We finally have some depth and they better be improving their best every day or there is a guy or two behind them that will be. PJ is holding his cards very close not in the least desperate. As PJ has said "only the best will see the field" a privilege earned not given.
04-17-2016 07:16 PM
ru4wmu Offline
2nd String

Super fun day. Great atmosphere. More than 2,000 people there. WMU website something like 2,950. There were 250 people upstairs in Gary Fund area. I thought the team looked really good. Davis and Bellamy did not play. Davis was for precaution, not sure about Bellamy. Someone told me that Matich tore his ACL and will not play in 2016. I didn't notice that Simpkins was not on roster. Too bad. That will hurt. He was listed a week ago. Rucker looked really good. Hampton was impressive for a freshman! Only postions that I am worried about are DT and LB. If Bellamy is OK, we have 5 pretty good RB. Wassink has a strong arm and was pretty accurate on Sat. We have never been deeper at OL.
04-17-2016 08:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.