Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What knives do you use in the kitchen?
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
I've been a pretty regular home cook for like 6 years now. Always trying to learn more. Been using an 8 inch Wusthof chef's knife and a 5 inch Wusthof Santoku. I've always been happy with them, but lately I decided the chef's knife was making me do too much work. So I did some research and decided to switch to Japanese knives. Couple days ago I got a Tojiro gyuto 210mm and man is it sharp. Puts the German knives to shame. What are you guys rockin'?
03-03-2016 06:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: What knives do you use in the kitchen?
Sharp ones... although dull ones are great for killing.
03-03-2016 07:40 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(03-03-2016 07:40 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Sharp ones... although dull ones are great for killing.

all relative
03-03-2016 07:50 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
(03-03-2016 06:00 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  I've been a pretty regular home cook for like 6 years now. Always trying to learn more. Been using an 8 inch Wusthof chef's knife and a 5 inch Wusthof Santoku. I've always been happy with them, but lately I decided the chef's knife was making me do too much work. So I did some research and decided to switch to Japanese knives. Couple days ago I got a Tojiro gyuto 210mm and man is it sharp. Puts the German knives to shame. What are you guys rockin'?

My workhorse is a 7" Zwilling Henckels Santoku. I love the weight and balance and it holds its edge reasonably well. But to your point about Japanese knives, I recently opened a box of Global knives we received as an anniversary gift a couple of years ago. Holy crap are they fantastic. They're one piece construction, and the handle is hollowed out so they are strangely light. But after getting the hang of it, I'm sold. It's harder steel than the Henckels so the edge holds much longer. Catch is, they're more of a pain to sharpen.

Speaking of which, do you use a steel and/or sharpener on your knives? I have to use the steel for pretty much every use of the Henckels, but it's noticeable how much that helps. And it's nice to have your own sharpener. A decent one will pay for itself after about 10 or so sessions.
03-04-2016 02:59 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-03-2016 07:50 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 07:40 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  Sharp ones... although dull ones are great for killing.

all relative

spears or harpoons.....capt'n caveman
03-04-2016 03:47 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(03-04-2016 03:47 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 07:50 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

all relative

spears or harpoons.....capt'n caveman

Bro' Capt'n Caveman had a club! Although, he had stuffed inside that club all kinds of goodies.
03-04-2016 04:03 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(03-04-2016 02:59 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 06:00 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  I've been a pretty regular home cook for like 6 years now. Always trying to learn more. Been using an 8 inch Wusthof chef's knife and a 5 inch Wusthof Santoku. I've always been happy with them, but lately I decided the chef's knife was making me do too much work. So I did some research and decided to switch to Japanese knives. Couple days ago I got a Tojiro gyuto 210mm and man is it sharp. Puts the German knives to shame. What are you guys rockin'?

My workhorse is a 7" Zwilling Henckels Santoku. I love the weight and balance and it holds its edge reasonably well. But to your point about Japanese knives, I recently opened a box of Global knives we received as an anniversary gift a couple of years ago. Holy crap are they fantastic. They're one piece construction, and the handle is hollowed out so they are strangely light. But after getting the hang of it, I'm sold. It's harder steel than the Henckels so the edge holds much longer. Catch is, they're more of a pain to sharpen.

Speaking of which, do you use a steel and/or sharpener on your knives? I have to use the steel for pretty much every use of the Henckels, but it's noticeable how much that helps. And it's nice to have your own sharpener. A decent one will pay for itself after about 10 or so sessions.

gotta love a good santoku. The flat belly makes it so accommodating for push or tap chopping.

I have two different honing rods, a steel one that isn't smooth and a ceramic one that is. I prefer the ceramic because it also takes off a tiny bit of metal, acting as a sort of ersatz sharpener. I'll also strop my knives, but I don't sharpen them. The only good way to truly sharpen a knife (at least for a normal, home cook) is by using stones, but it's just too time consuming for me. I found a local guy who does a really good job and it's $6 per knife. I love to cook and use my knives, but learning all the ins and outs of sharpening is a bit too much for me
03-04-2016 06:06 PM
Advertisement

Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
(03-04-2016 06:06 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

gotta love a good santoku. The flat belly makes it so accommodating for push or tap chopping.

I have two different honing rods, a steel one that isn't smooth and a ceramic one that is. I prefer the ceramic because it also takes off a tiny bit of metal, acting as a sort of ersatz sharpener. I'll also strop my knives, but I don't sharpen them. The only good way to truly sharpen a knife (at least for a normal, home cook) is by using stones, but it's just too time consuming for me. I found a local guy who does a really good job and it's $6 per knife. I love to cook and use my knives, but learning all the ins and outs of sharpening is a bit too much for me

I have a Chef's Choice sharpener (but I think I exaggerated the payoff in my post above - it was a bit more expensive). It was easy to learn how to use, it's simple, doesn't take much time, and it does a great job. Have to admit, though, that I'm not set up for the Globals - I don't think I can use the Chef's Choice because the harder Japanese steel requires a different angle. Gonna have to do something about that soon.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2016 06:39 PM by Brookes Owl.)
03-04-2016 06:38 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(03-04-2016 06:38 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 06:06 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

I have a Chef's Choice sharpener (but I think I exaggerated the payoff in my post above - it was a bit more expensive). It was easy to learn how to use, it's simple, doesn't take much time, and it does a great job. Have to admit, though, that I'm not set up for the Globals - I don't think I can use the Chef's Choice because the harder Japanese steel requires a different angle. Gonna have to do something about that soon.

i'm really skeptical about anything that's just stripping off a ton of metal. I know that's essentially what sharpening is, but I'm worried that those home sharpeners just take off a bunch of metal to achieve something that can be done by removing less metal, thus giving the blade a longer life
03-05-2016 11:10 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Global G-series. (site) Moderate priced. Well balanced.

We also use the mino-sharp (link) sharpener.
03-05-2016 07:02 PM
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
this thread has always stuck with me. i'll think about it occasionally a few times a year for whatever reason. it was most recently brought to my attention when my sister visited for a dinner or something. she was most likely gonna to make a salad. when she asked for a knife i handed her my only functioning knife. sure i've other knives but they all dull. i have a knife sharpener i bought second hand but i'll probably never use it. she said it was a steak knife. i was a bit dumbfounded. i rarely eat steak. then it occured to me that i'm using the wrong type of knife and i'd like to learn more about knives. i cook a lot
06-12-2018 09:03 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(06-12-2018 09:03 PM)Lush Wrote:  this thread has always stuck with me. i'll think about it occasionally a few times a year for whatever reason. it was most recently brought to my attention when my sister visited for a dinner or something. she was most likely gonna to make a salad. when she asked for a knife i handed her my only functioning knife. sure i've other knives but they all dull. i have a knife sharpener i bought second hand but i'll probably never use it. she said it was a steak knife. i was a bit dumbfounded. i rarely eat steak. then it occured to me that i'm using the wrong type of knife and i'd like to learn more about knives. i cook a lot

Go with this for your chef's knife: https://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-DP-Gyutou-...B000UAPQGS

This for a cheap serrated knife: https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Chefs-...ated+knife

Paring knife: https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culinary-G...ring+knife

Ceramic honing rod: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KLGSP3M/ref...95784&sr=1

Those 3 are pretty much all you'll need to do 99% of kitchen tasks. Get the Tojiro sharpened once a year and use the honing rod to hone it at least a few times a week.
06-13-2018 08:16 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
A set of Old Hickory knives we got when we got married almost 24 years ago. Every now and then (maybe twice a year) I'll hit them with a whetstone and a little olive oil on the handles to protect the wood but other than that they are good to go. Sturdy as a cinderblock and if you put a good edge on them it'll hold it for months. We do everything from normal everyday cooking to processing wild game with them. Still have the entire set, although the steak knives are starting to show their age.

I even carry a modified Old Hickory 7" butcher knife in a custom leather sheath in my hunting pack. I've used it for everything from skinning game to serving as a pack hook in the treestand when I forgot my screw in hooks to an impromptu machete and it's still as solid as when I bought it. There's numerous videos on Youtube concerning using Old Hickory knives for bushcraft so that in itself is a testament to their durability.
06-13-2018 09:49 PM
Advertisement

JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
I’ve got the full range of everything Wusthoff that I’ve used professionally and now personally since ‘92.

Hit em on a steel once in a while when needed, otherwise I use (gently) a chefs choice (circa about 1982) about twice a year, also as needed.

I guess it’s like most things, you get used to things you like, if you didn’t like it, why use it enough to get used to it?
I esp like the workhorse 8” in chefs knife and the 6” cleaver.

I’ve got the Classic line, probably the most widely used knives on the market, least used to be.

Good luck. Main point is use what you like. If you spend anytime with them at all, don’t put up with schit you don’t like.
06-24-2018 09:04 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(06-24-2018 09:04 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  I’ve got the full range of everything Wusthoff that I’ve used professionally and now personally since ‘92.

Hit em on a steel once in a while when needed, otherwise I use (gently) a chefs choice (circa about 1982) about twice a year, also as needed.

I guess it’s like most things, you get used to things you like, if you didn’t like it, why use it enough to get used to it?
I esp like the workhorse 8” in chefs knife and the 6” cleaver.

I’ve got the Classic line, probably the most widely used knives on the market, least used to be.

Good luck. Main point is use what you like. If you spend anytime with them at all, don’t put up with schit you don’t like.

I have an 8in Wusthof chef's knife that I use for bigger jobs that require less precision. For ones that require a finer edged blade I use the Tojiro. And then to crack some skulls (er I mean bones) i break out a giant cleaver I got from a restaurant supply store.
06-25-2018 12:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.