Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Mid South Coliseum
Bookmark and Share
bengltgrs Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Mid South Coliseum
What would it cost to refurbish the Coliseum?
02-14-2016 08:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Penny Lane Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers &Tigers
RE: Mid South Coliseum
(02-14-2016 08:07 PM)bengltgrs Wrote:  What would it cost to refurbish the Coliseum?

wth?
02-14-2016 08:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(02-14-2016 08:07 PM)bengltgrs Wrote:  What would it cost to refurbish the Coliseum?

$10.6 million
02-14-2016 08:26 PM
danny1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Forget about it - not an option. Period.
02-14-2016 08:38 PM
ChapelHillTiger Offline
2nd String

OCS convocation center NOW!
02-14-2016 08:56 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

We haven't been able to raise the balance of the $40,000,000 campaign for the South campus facilities. Not sure why anyone wants to spend another $25,000,000 to renovate a crumbling facility to gain a nightmare of maintence vs at worst playing in the FEF for free.

People, we are going through a rough spot. We have before and recovered and we will again. Don't completely give up and lose your minds. Grow a pair and get through this. Be part of the solution not the problem.
02-14-2016 10:03 PM
Advertisement

BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
Maybe we could just play in basement of the bass pro pyramid.
02-14-2016 10:19 PM
Easterwood Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
We can't fill it
02-14-2016 10:20 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

Would certainly create more of that college feel --- w/ that college size. Closer to campus and at the same location as football. And it would be "ours" in essence. Not under the thumb of another. I think it's an idea worth a look.
02-14-2016 10:30 PM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
Need a nice on campus arena, capacity about 5,900.
02-14-2016 10:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
It's not crumbling, far from it.

It would cost more to tear it down than renovate and repair it.

With a new Mayor in place and Lipscomb gone, I think it's safe to say the TDZ plan is gone, and the whole issue will be revisited in a new light.

I'm not saying I think it's an option for the U. of M sports, and I am definitely saying I don't think the U. of M should be saddled with the cost of fixing it up. I guess we shall see what the City cooks up. I do know the two Coliseum restoration groups are still very active and adamant it be re-used.
02-15-2016 12:35 AM
Advertisement

Tgrrfan Offline
Which way is she turning?

I Root For: Memphis & ND
We have the fieldhouse ya know. I'm sure the ladies don't mind sharing.
02-15-2016 02:32 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

The MSC is prime example of why the city should not be in the large facilities business. The city actually created the problem of a vacant MSC when it built the Pyramid. There is no pinch in Memphis for venues for performing arts, concerts etc. Why should the city spend taxpayer monies to renovate or build facilities to host commercial events or those of institutions that should build their own? Especially when the city has crumbling infrastructure long neglected, public parks once the best in the country now run down & havens for crime & a multitude of real city issues to make Memphis a great place to live & work - and in my mind that makes what to do with the MSC, even the LB (related to long term viability) & other facilities used exclusively or primarily by private commerce activities way down the list of what should be city investments of money & time. If renovation of the MSC is important to private,commercial activities or those of separate institutions like our university, then let those organizations take the initiative, make the proposals & finance the work required to meet their needs because they aren't city of Memphis needs.
02-15-2016 09:21 AM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(02-15-2016 09:21 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  The MSC is prime example of why the city should not be in the large facilities business. The city actually created the problem of a vacant MSC when it built the Pyramid. There is no pinch in Memphis for venues for performing arts, concerts etc. Why should the city spend taxpayer monies to renovate or build facilities to host commercial events or those of institutions that should build their own? Especially when the city has crumbling infrastructure long neglected, public parks once the best in the country now run down & havens for crime & a multitude of real city issues to make Memphis a great place to live & work - and in my mind that makes what to do with the MSC, even the LB (related to long term viability) & other facilities used exclusively or primarily by private commerce activities way down the list of what should be city investments of money & time. If renovation of the MSC is important to private,commercial activities or those of separate institutions like our university, then let those organizations take the initiative, make the proposals & finance the work required to meet their needs because they aren't city of Memphis needs.

"when the city has crumbling infrastructure long neglected, public parks"

where would that be? I sure don't see it.
02-15-2016 09:27 AM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-15-2016 09:27 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(02-15-2016 09:21 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  The MSC is prime example of why the city should not be in the large facilities business. The city actually created the problem of a vacant MSC when it built the Pyramid. There is no pinch in Memphis for venues for performing arts, concerts etc. Why should the city spend taxpayer monies to renovate or build facilities to host commercial events or those of institutions that should build their own? Especially when the city has crumbling infrastructure long neglected, public parks once the best in the country now run down & havens for crime & a multitude of real city issues to make Memphis a great place to live & work - and in my mind that makes what to do with the MSC, even the LB (related to long term viability) & other facilities used exclusively or primarily by private commerce activities way down the list of what should be city investments of money & time. If renovation of the MSC is important to private,commercial activities or those of separate institutions like our university, then let those organizations take the initiative, make the proposals & finance the work required to meet their needs because they aren't city of Memphis needs.

lol...Willie refused to mow grass at most public parks in order to save money. They are falling apart. Wharton did make an attempt to bring them back and did make progress.
02-15-2016 09:30 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(02-15-2016 09:30 AM)tigerlands Wrote:  

lol...Willie refused to mow grass at most public parks in order to save money. They are falling apart. Wharton did make an attempt to bring them back and did make progress.

you know Willie hasn't been Mayor in 7-8 years, right?

welcome to 2016...last I looked TVA is building a billion dollar power facility...TDOT is building a 100 million plus roadway addition...and St Jude is expanding to the tune of 1 billion.

that's State and Local Public projects...and Private projects...that's just off the top of my head...there are many others.

can't wait to see Crosstown, Chisca, and TN Brewery when they're finished.
02-15-2016 09:36 AM
Advertisement

Mtyler Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Mid South Coliseum
Too much. Tear it down.
02-15-2016 09:38 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

Then you aren't looking. Surely you drive the streets of Memphis, are you satisfied with how the streets are maintained? When I come to Memphis these days from Atlanta I drive Lamar, Crump, Perkins, Bellevue, 3rd St and virtually any street between Main and the Crosstown area - and those areas look like abandoned areas of Detroit. Even the condition of the streets seems more akin to some I've experienced south of the US border. Much of Orange Mound, even though it was never a area where folks had money, they did have pride in what they had & many great families I know personally were raised there. Where is the city to fight the crime element that dominates many of the poor areas of town? Such concerns should be a priority & make decisions on something like the MSC such a low priority it isn't even mentioned. Don't want to get started on the schools, shameful - and each of these schools used to have wonderful & safe summer programs led by talented Park Commission summer staff - where is that now?
02-15-2016 09:48 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
"I drive Lamar, Crump, Perkins, Bellevue, 3rd St and virtually any street between Main and the Crosstown area - and those areas look like abandoned areas of Detroit."

03-lmfao

I live by Central and Lamar and you're so full of it....

250 million has been allocated to completely re-do Lamar.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/gov...14491.html

Cleveland St was just being leveled and repaved from Lamar past Union in anticipation of that project...

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/clev...id=4184295

the Harahan Boardwalk should be finished by the end of this year.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/har...62731.html

and as I also pointed out you have private projects like Crosstown, Chisca, TN Brewery, One Beale, etc.
02-15-2016 09:58 AM
FUB Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis tigers
Is this a joke? The MSC just needs to be torn down, no reason to ever sink one dime of renovation money into it. This is absurd, it would do no good whatsoever . It is absolute irrational thinking to invest in this. We would lose every dime we sunk into it.
02-15-2016 10:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.