Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Do we still fire him if ...
Bookmark and Share
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
MyBB Do we still fire him if ...
Do we still fire Josh Pastner if he makes the NIT? Don't get me wrong, I'm not excited about the NIT...but at the beginning of the year that is what most fans/media expected out of this team. If we "meet expectations" for this year, do we still spend $10.6M to fire him? I think MOST agree that if not for the money, he'd be all but done. But $10.6M is a lot of cash to essentially waste - cash we aren't even sure we have. So, if he makes the NIT...does that buy him another year? I'm not asking SHOULD it...I'm asking WILL it?

Thoughts...
02-08-2016 03:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

RE: Do we still fire him if ...
2 McD's AA's and an NIT is meeting expectations?
02-08-2016 03:37 PM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
The only reasons those were the expectations for this years team is because Pastner had proven himself to get less out of more.

Think of it this way: He's 7 years into his tenure, the program is stable following the NCAA investigation in 2008, he had several recruiting classes run their life cycle and we're facing recruiting that is drying up, fan apathy and back to back NITs.

Yeah, we fire him still.
02-08-2016 03:39 PM
tiger68 Away
Special Teams

Since you are a BlackBear fan; what difference does it make to you?
02-08-2016 03:39 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
it is just best for all parties if we split ways.
02-08-2016 03:40 PM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-08-2016 03:37 PM)RekeHavoc Wrote:  2 McD's AA's and an NIT is meeting expectations?

Despite all that, MOST said they thought this was an NIT team. So, if we make the NIT...we met the expectations most people had for this team. Now, we can discuss how sad that is all day long...
02-08-2016 03:42 PM
Advertisement

HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-08-2016 03:39 PM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  The only reasons those were the expectations for this years team is because Pastner had proven himself to get less out of more.

Think of it this way: He's 7 years into his tenure, the program is stable following the NCAA investigation in 2008, he had several recruiting classes run their life cycle and we're facing recruiting that is drying up, fan apathy and back to back NITs.

Yeah, we fire him still.

Great way of looking at it. And I agree...FWIW

(02-08-2016 03:40 PM)fsquid Wrote:  it is just best for all parties if we split ways.

Agreed.
02-08-2016 03:43 PM
holyterror Online
Hall of Famer

(02-08-2016 03:40 PM)fsquid Wrote:  it is just best for all parties if we split ways.

This. It aint the end of the world.
02-08-2016 03:46 PM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-08-2016 03:39 PM)tiger68 Wrote:  Since you are a BlackBear fan; what difference does it make to you?

One day your brain will fully develop & you'll understand that someone can indeed be a fan of 2 different universities. Especially in different sports...
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-08-2016 03:35 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  Do we still fire Josh Pastner if he makes the NIT? Don't get me wrong, I'm not excited about the NIT...but at the beginning of the year that is what most fans/media expected out of this team. If we "meet expectations" for this year, do we still spend $10.6M to fire him? I think MOST agree that if not for the money, he'd be all but done. But $10.6M is a lot of cash to essentially waste - cash we aren't even sure we have. So, if he makes the NIT...does that buy him another year? I'm not asking SHOULD it...I'm asking WILL it?

Thoughts...

Still Rudd, Bowen and a handful of money guys will make the decision. Fans are out of the discussion at this point. that side has spoken.
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-08-2016 03:46 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  
(02-08-2016 03:35 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  Do we still fire Josh Pastner if he makes the NIT? Don't get me wrong, I'm not excited about the NIT...but at the beginning of the year that is what most fans/media expected out of this team. If we "meet expectations" for this year, do we still spend $10.6M to fire him? I think MOST agree that if not for the money, he'd be all but done. But $10.6M is a lot of cash to essentially waste - cash we aren't even sure we have. So, if he makes the NIT...does that buy him another year? I'm not asking SHOULD it...I'm asking WILL it?

Thoughts...

Still Rudd, Bowen and a handful of money guys will make the decision. Fans are out of the discussion at this point. that side has spoken.

Agreed. That shouldn't make the anti-Pastner crowd feel too optimistic, IMHO. Assuming he makes the NIT. It's my opinion that the school will try to spin that into another year. Not what I would do, but I don't know the financial situation, so...who knows.
02-08-2016 03:48 PM
Advertisement

mempho_to_diego Offline
2 legit 2 quit

we didn't make the NIT last year. Hell, we didn't make the CBI or the 4th thru 6th post-season tournies either ...
02-08-2016 03:48 PM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-08-2016 03:48 PM)mempho_to_diego Wrote:  we didn't make the NIT last year. Hell, we didn't make the CBI or the 4th thru 6th post-season tournies either ...

Not that it matters, your point is overall valid - but I thought we turned down the CBI...or made it known that we would if invited.
02-08-2016 03:51 PM
mempho_to_diego Offline
2 legit 2 quit

(02-08-2016 03:51 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  
(02-08-2016 03:48 PM)mempho_to_diego Wrote:  we didn't make the NIT last year. Hell, we didn't make the CBI or the 4th thru 6th post-season tournies either ...

Not that it matters, your point is overall valid - but I thought we turned down the CBI...or made it known that we would if invited.

yes, I believe we did turn down the CBI.
02-08-2016 03:55 PM
Seller545 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Memphis!
I don't think that we make the NIT. The NIT is not controlled by ESPN anymore. NCAA now has control. There are automatic qualifiers and a coach's committee that makes the selections.
02-08-2016 04:00 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Memphis will never play in a pay to play tourney.
02-08-2016 04:02 PM
Advertisement

Crazier Offline
All American

Give CJP a break. Even the great Calipari wasn't too good to accept a nit bid and his job is safe.
02-08-2016 04:23 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(02-08-2016 03:39 PM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  The only reasons those were the expectations for this years team is because Pastner had proven himself to get less out of more.

Yeah, we fire him still.

absolutely.
02-08-2016 04:24 PM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-08-2016 04:23 PM)Crazier Wrote:  Give CJP a break. Even the great Calipari wasn't too good to accept a nit bid and his job is safe.

Turning down the CBI is one thing. Turning down the NIT is absolutely ridiculous for a school like Memphis.
02-08-2016 04:24 PM
New Breid Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I would hope that we are looking at the future. Obviously the money is a big issue but as far as his job performance, I think it's done. Recruiting has died. How far do we let the program sink? We use to look at a guy like Charile Moore as a 3rd or 4th piece, now he is suppose to be the saving grace next season? He is a slightly above average 5'9 PG. Now Josh is hoping he get 5th year senior transfers or JuCo's to fill out his roster.

Like Tommy West once said, "Give the next guy a fighting chance". Let's not slip further into obscurity.
02-08-2016 04:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.