Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FIU achieves top rank in Carnegie research classification
Bookmark and Share
FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
FIU achieves top rank in Carnegie research classification
Quote:The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching announced today the newest edition of the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. FIU moved into the top category—R1: Doctoral Universities – Highest Research Activity.

Quote:FIU joins the top tier of research universities in the U.S., including four others in the Florida State University System – the University of Florida, Florida State University, University of South Florida and the University of Central Florida.

Quote:From the last Carnegie Classification in 2010 to 2014, FIU has grown in all the key indicator areas, including a 31 percent increase in research expenditures, 56 percent increase in research doctorate production, a 19 percent increase in faculty per-capita research and development production, a 44 percent increase in the proportion of faculty with external research funding, and a 176 percent increase in research personnel supported by external research grants.

04-cheers

Read more http://news.fiu.edu/2016/02/fiu-achieves...tion/96872
02-02-2016 06:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bladhmadh Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
RE: FIU achieves top rank in Carnegie research classification
welcome to the club
02-02-2016 07:07 PM
FIU4Ever Offline

(02-02-2016 07:07 PM)bladhmadh Wrote:  welcome to the club

Where do I find the beer cooler? 03-drunk 03-lmfao

Congrats to UNT as well. 01-ncaabbs
02-02-2016 07:20 PM
loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
There goes the neighborhood.
02-02-2016 07:23 PM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Great accomplishment for FIU as well!
02-02-2016 08:24 PM
NTTHOR Offline
1st String

I Root For: NORTH TEXAS
North texas joins rice in the group of 8 schools in texas with this designation
02-02-2016 08:36 PM
Advertisement

MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
All the cool kids are regional masters 03-razz
02-02-2016 10:31 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
these are not rankings they are classifications and the Carnegie Foundation specifically disavows the use of their classifications as rankings and they make that very clear

http://carnegieclassifications.iu.edu/re...s/faqs.php

Where are the Carnegie rankings?

The Carnegie Foundation does not rank colleges and universities. Our classifications identify meaningful similarities and differences among institutions, but they do not imply quality differences.

Why did the Carnegie Foundation move away from its original single classification system?

A single classification cannot do justice to the complex nature of higher education today. When the Carnegie Classification was created in 1970, there were about 2,800 U.S. colleges and universities. Today there are more than 4,500.

Colleges and universities are complex organizations, and a single classification masks the range of ways they can resemble or differ from one another. As valuable as it has been, the basic framework has blind spots. For example, it says nothing about undergraduate education for institutions that award more than a minimum number of graduate degrees. Yet most of these institutions enroll more undergraduates than graduate or professional students.

Another motivation for these changes has to do with the persistent confusion of classification and ranking. For years, both the Carnegie Foundation and others in the higher education community have been concerned about the extent to which the Carnegie Classification dominates considerations of institutional differences, and especially the extent to which it is misinterpreted as an assessment of quality, thereby establishing aspirational targets. This phenomenon has been most pronounced among doctorate-granting institutions, where it is not uncommon to find explicit strategic ambitions to “move up” the perceived hierarchy. By introducing a new set of classifications we hope to call attention to the range of ways that institutions resemble and differ from one another and also to de-emphasize the improper use of the classification as informal quality touchstone.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 10:35 PM by TodgeRodge.)
02-02-2016 10:34 PM
FIU4Ever Offline

Tell that to the NSF program directors 03-nutkick
(02-02-2016 10:34 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  these are not rankings they are classifications and the Carnegie Foundation specifically disavows the use of their classifications as rankings and they make that very clear

http://carnegieclassifications.iu.edu/re...s/faqs.php

Where are the Carnegie rankings?

The Carnegie Foundation does not rank colleges and universities. Our classifications identify meaningful similarities and differences among institutions, but they do not imply quality differences.

Why did the Carnegie Foundation move away from its original single classification system?

A single classification cannot do justice to the complex nature of higher education today. When the Carnegie Classification was created in 1970, there were about 2,800 U.S. colleges and universities. Today there are more than 4,500.

Colleges and universities are complex organizations, and a single classification masks the range of ways they can resemble or differ from one another. As valuable as it has been, the basic framework has blind spots. For example, it says nothing about undergraduate education for institutions that award more than a minimum number of graduate degrees. Yet most of these institutions enroll more undergraduates than graduate or professional students.

Another motivation for these changes has to do with the persistent confusion of classification and ranking. For years, both the Carnegie Foundation and others in the higher education community have been concerned about the extent to which the Carnegie Classification dominates considerations of institutional differences, and especially the extent to which it is misinterpreted as an assessment of quality, thereby establishing aspirational targets. This phenomenon has been most pronounced among doctorate-granting institutions, where it is not uncommon to find explicit strategic ambitions to “move up” the perceived hierarchy. By introducing a new set of classifications we hope to call attention to the range of ways that institutions resemble and differ from one another and also to de-emphasize the improper use of the classification as informal quality touchstone.
02-02-2016 10:42 PM
Green Menace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I'm sure ToddRodge, aka dickhead, is taking a shot at North Texas.
02-02-2016 10:47 PM
FIU4Ever Offline

(02-02-2016 10:47 PM)Green Menace Wrote:  I'm sure ToddRodge, aka dickhead, is taking a shot at North Texas.

His full time job? 03-lmfao
02-02-2016 10:51 PM
Advertisement

TodgeRodge Offline
All American

(02-02-2016 10:42 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  Tell that to the NSF program directors 03-nutkick[quote='TodgeRodge' pid='12962208' dateline='1454470495']

what do NSF program directors have to do with anything

The Carnegie Classifications have no importance or meaning to them

(02-02-2016 10:47 PM)Green Menace Wrote:  I'm sure ToddRodge, aka dickhead, is taking a shot at North Texas.

north Texas state takes their own shots at themselves with their pathetic athletic and academic performance
02-02-2016 11:00 PM
MeanGreenFan123 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(02-02-2016 11:00 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 10:42 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  Tell that to the NSF program directors 03-nutkick[quote='TodgeRodge' pid='12962208' dateline='1454470495']

north Texas state takes their own shots at themselves with their pathetic athletic and academic performance

This is why no one takes you seriously. You write about 50 slanted paragraphs trying to discredit something that's actually credible. Then, as soon as someone accurately calls you out on your BS, you can't even come up with a decent response. I realize it's probably a school night for you little buddy, but give it a rest already.
02-03-2016 12:22 AM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

(02-03-2016 12:22 AM)MeanGreenFan123 Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 11:00 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  

This is why no one takes you seriously. You write about 50 slanted paragraphs trying to discredit something that's actually credible. Then, as soon as someone accurately calls you out on your BS, you can't even come up with a decent response. I realize it's probably a school night for you little buddy, but give it a rest already.

I provided direct quotes from the organization that makes the classifications explaining why they are not rankings and why they are not to be used as rankings and the efforts they have taken over the years to not have them used as rankings

only a moron would ignore that or try and still pretend they are rankings

it has nothing to do with "me" it is directly from the organization in charge of the classifications you dunce cap
02-03-2016 12:50 AM
Von-Bek Offline
1st String

Congrats FIU, helluv' an accomplishment.
02-03-2016 12:58 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

But what about your press box? 05-stirthepot
02-03-2016 06:54 AM
Advertisement

FIU4Ever Offline

(02-03-2016 06:54 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  But what about your press box? 05-stirthepot

Highest research as well, we want to see the effects of heavy rains on press types 05-stirthepot
02-03-2016 07:37 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(02-02-2016 07:23 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  There goes the neighborhood.

we (rice not included) know the hood 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 07:39 AM by stinkfist.)
02-03-2016 07:38 AM
Nugget49er Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Congratulations, this is a big deal. It is good for the conference. Charlotte is R2, and there is a major fundraising effort underway that I hope will position us to join you in the near future.
02-03-2016 09:56 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(02-02-2016 07:23 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  There goes the neighborhood.

03-lmfao
02-03-2016 10:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.