Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Riding the pine
Bookmark and Share
Springboromark Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Riding the pine
What I don't understand is HS players who think they are good enough to start at least in their soph season playing for someone in the Big 10 (the football SEC in basketball), who are one of the premier leagues in the country. Unless you are a player like Marc Loving who have had a excellent career playing for the Bucks, players like Maverick Morgan, 6-10, 245 from Springboro, OH who UT offered, goes to Illinois and is his junior season playing limited minutes. If he was in the MAC playing for UT or anybody else , he would be a starter, or the first player off the bench logging a lot of minutes.

Another player comes to mind is center Mark Donnal of UM. Junior season playing only 16 minutes a game, averaging 7.1. In the MAC, He definitely is a starter by now. If Morgan or Donnal, thought by playing in the Big 10, they would get a chance in the PROS, they are in la la land. If they went to these respective schools for excellent education, so be it. They could have attain the same going to a MAC school as well. Well boys continue to ride the pine.
02-01-2016 11:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Riding the pine
Loving spent quite a bit of time, "riding the pine." You think Loving wouldn't have gotten booted off the team if he'd come to Toledo? Had a better career here? He's on track to be an also ran in Columbus, not on any "all-time" list but does that diminish his career there when he maybe could have been THE star here? No, of course not. Ohio St. has some good recruiting but they're not breaking records turning out pros anymore than any other school. Did Loving choose Ohio St because he thought that was his best route to the pros and he'd receive adulation and be the "star" or because that's where he wanted to be, get his education and the opportunity was there?

Contrary to your argument, Loving is not a statistical star and Donnal is having a great career, playing steady and having his education paid for at one of the top universities in the country. First year of playing, Loving averaged 4.4 ppg and Donnal 3.4, Second year, 9.4 compared to 7.4. Those point differences do not make one player a star and the other disappointing. Same Morgan.

Maybe there's more to the decision than going somewhere to be "the star." Is that really who you want UT to recruit? There's more teammates than there are court positions so there are always going to be those "riding the pine," be it Kentucky or Toledo.
02-02-2016 03:01 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Young players generally want to play the best competition they can. Want to experience March Madness? Go to the Big Number. Want to get a pro career- much better chance out of Michigan (and Donnal will almost certainly have pro opportunities if he chooses to pursue them). OTOH, there are examples that make your case- the BG guy who was the main offensive threat for BG and transferred to OSU where he did well but wasn't the go to guy and, the classic, Boothe's HS teammate Paul, who ended up a total washout at Illinois after one of the best freshman seasons in recent MAC history. The MAC is basketball wasteland- you have, at best, a 1 in 3 shot of playing in the NCAA and nearly no shot at a he NBA (one player from the league last year).
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 04:05 AM by H2Oville Rocket.)
02-02-2016 04:04 AM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

1 in 3 seems generous. If a kid is choosing a school for the main reason of making a name for themselves, then they're only choosing a mid-major and certainly most MAC schools to say they raised the program to that level. If their goal is to go to the NCAA, they are choosing the best b-ball school that will accept them regardless pine time. I don't think that's even in the thinking process of most recruits. Most are probably just looking for a coach and a set of players where they feel they'll fit in.
02-02-2016 06:27 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(02-02-2016 06:27 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  1 in 3 seems generous. If a kid is choosing a school for the main reason of making a name for themselves, then they're only choosing a mid-major and certainly most MAC schools to say they raised the program to that level. If their goal is to go to the NCAA, they are choosing the best b-ball school that will accept them regardless pine time. I don't think that's even in the thinking process of most recruits. Most are probably just looking for a coach and a set of players where they feel they'll fit in.

Twelve MAC teams, player plays four years- at most four different teams make the NCAA. 1-3 chance his team will be one of them.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 06:40 AM by H2Oville Rocket.)
02-02-2016 06:36 AM
Advertisement

adunifon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Riding the pine
(02-02-2016 06:36 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 06:27 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  1 in 3 seems generous. If a kid is choosing a school for the main reason of making a name for themselves, then they're only choosing a mid-major and certainly most MAC schools to say they raised the program to that level. If their goal is to go to the NCAA, they are choosing the best b-ball school that will accept them regardless pine time. I don't think that's even in the thinking process of most recruits. Most are probably just looking for a coach and a set of players where they feel they'll fit in.

Twelve MAC teams, player plays four years- at most four different teams make the NCAA. 1-3 chance his team will be one of them.

We are due to go like 10 straight years now!!!
02-02-2016 06:58 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

So then a recruit's best strategy is to find the smallest conference possible! Find an 8 team conference and then over 4 years you have a 50% chance to dance, Find yourself a four team conference and your chances of dancing are 1 out of 1!

Step away from the abacus.
02-02-2016 06:32 PM
Advertisement

Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
(02-02-2016 06:32 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

So then a recruit's best strategy is to find the smallest conference possible! Find an 8 team conference and then over 4 years you have a 50% chance to dance, Find yourself a four team conference and your chances of dancing are 1 out of 1!

Actually....... YES!!!!!!!
02-02-2016 06:36 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(02-02-2016 06:36 PM)Terry Wrote:  
(02-02-2016 06:32 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

Actually....... YES!!!!!!!

Or you can play in a conference of twelve that gets 6 or so bids annually, play fewer minutes but play in 3or4 NCAA Tourns over your career, be seen on national TV and make lots of contacts for a pro career in hoops or whatever other career you choose.
02-02-2016 07:05 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

I'd recommend recruits look for a school that offers a class on how to properly calculate probabilities maybe? 03-razz 03-nerd
02-02-2016 07:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.