Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
James Madison - Game Thread
[Image: James-Madison.gif]
James Madison Dukes

Record vs. D-I: 15-5 (6-2)
RPI: 89
SOS: 138
Best wins: @ Hofstra (# 73), @ Northeastern (# 124), @ Elon (# 127), @ Richmond (# 131)
Bad loss: vs. Tennessee-Martin (# 235)

Something has to give here. Both the Seahawks and Dukes enter Thursday's matchup in Harrisonburg riding 5-game win streaks, and the winner will make it 6 straight while the loser, of course, sees their streak get snapped. This crucial matchup could see the winner in 1st place in the CAA all on their own IF Elon pulls an upset over Hofstra (also 6-2).

Last season, UNCW swept JMU, and neither game was particularly close. In those contests, it was mostly the Ron Curry show, as he accounted for 44 of the 119 points scored by JMU (37 %). And while Curry has had a superb Senior Season, ranking 5th in scoring (17.1 ppg) in CAA-only contests, he has a lot more help this time around. Junior swingman Shakir Brown (9.9 ppg) and Junior sharpshooter Kent Jackson have been capable sidekicks in the backcourt for Curry.

In the frontcourt, Junior Yohanny Dalembert has been a force in the post for the Dukes, as he in CAA-only games he is 5th in rebounding (7.3 rpg) and 6th in blocks (1.1 bpg). Fellow Juniors Tom Vodanovich, Paulius Satkus and Dimitrije Cabarkapa join Dalembert in wreaking havoc underneath the hoop. Seemingly endless depth is available for Matt Brady, including Sophomore distributor Joey McLean.

Where this game may be won or lost for the Seahawks is with perimeter shooting. It is imperative that bad shots are not forced up. The Seahawks are the top 3-point shooting team in the league (.396 in CAA-only games), but James Madison is the # 1 team in 3-pt defense (.231 opponent 3-pt %), using primarily man-to-man while mixing in 1-3-1 zone defense. Again, something has to give here. The Seahawks will need to get points at the rim when the perimeter shot isn't there.

The Dukes are also one of the top rebounding teams in the league (3.0 rebounding margin, ranked 3rd), but they don't create a lot of turnovers or block a ton of shots. Their strength is simply not giving teams good looks or 2nd chances. Offensively, the Dukes can beat you in a lot of ways, but it's their defense that has made them special.

In short, JMU is dangerous. They have a +9.0 scoring margin, tops in the league, despite playing a very challenging schedule to adate. Their winning streak has included victories @ Hofstra, @ Northeastern, and home against Towson (Strangely, they're at their best on the road). It is very clear that they are a top contender to win the Regular Season title and claim the tournament title in Baltimore. Don't expect the same JMU team as last season.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2016 10:08 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
01-26-2016 03:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
James Madison
Thanks. Those classy folks over on the JMU boards have already started some smack talk and are giving Coach some heat. Hope our guys take it to them on their home court where they've sucked it up this season. Continue the JMU domination we started last year.
01-26-2016 06:06 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
James Madison
(01-26-2016 06:06 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  Thanks. Those classy folks over on the JMU boards have already started some smack talk and are giving Coach some heat. Hope our guys take it to them on their home court where they've sucked it up this season. Continue the JMU domination we started last year.

Tell the truth. It's one poster (singular), not folks (plural). I even opened the door for you to shut him down!
01-27-2016 04:07 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: James Madison
(01-27-2016 04:07 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(01-26-2016 06:06 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  Thanks. Those classy folks over on the JMU boards have already started some smack talk and are giving Coach some heat. Hope our guys take it to them on their home court where they've sucked it up this season. Continue the JMU domination we started last year.

Tell the truth. It's one poster (singular), not folks (plural). I even opened the door for you to shut him down!
Fair enough Hyper. Good luck tomorrow! Maybe coach will take the boys to the strip club with a nice road W tomorrow. LOL
01-27-2016 08:51 AM
Tribal Offline

I Root For: William & Mary
That's pretty weak smack from Hart Foundation. I expect both sides to ramp it up or schedule tea time together. Your choice.

This should be a good game. Just a gut feeling but I think refs get too involved in this game and that decides it.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2016 09:14 AM by Tribal.)
01-27-2016 09:12 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

James Madison
(01-27-2016 08:51 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Fair enough Hyper. Good luck tomorrow! Maybe coach will take the boys to the strip club with a nice road W tomorrow. LOL

Yes, that's the spirit!
01-27-2016 09:51 AM
Advertisement

Alpha Hawk Offline
Water Engineer

Don't touch me I'm a real live wire

Matt Brady

Qu'est ce que c'est

Attached File(s)
.jpg  MATTBYRNE.jpg (Size: 5.98 KB / Downloads: 21)
01-27-2016 10:33 AM
JMUDukes20 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-27-2016 09:12 AM)Tribal Wrote:  That's pretty weak smack from Hart Foundation. I expect both sides to ramp it up or schedule tea time together. Your choice.

This should be a good game. Just a gut feeling but I think refs get too involved in this game and that decides it.

This is a Thursday night game, which means it will have quality refs. If it were on Saturday I would agree with you and say the refs would have a major impact.

I posted a thread about a week ago on the JMU boards showing the difference between Thursday night games and Saturday games with regards to who refs them, how much D1 experience they have and how many ACC games they do.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=767032
01-27-2016 11:59 AM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

Les Jones will be one of the refs. I like him. Sure beats Jerry Heater, who we last Thursday. Heater was whistle happy before all the rule changes. And he has the knack of snatching victory away from either team on the floor down the stretch.
01-27-2016 12:28 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(01-27-2016 12:28 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  Les Jones will be one of the refs. I like him. Sure beats Jerry Heater, who we last Thursday. Heater was whistle happy before all the rule changes. And he has the knack of snatching victory away from either team on the floor down the stretch.

I hate it when the refs screw games up ...for either team. I think these guys are trying to overcompensate in CAA games for checking their manhood at the door when confronted with the likes of the Coach K's of the world in higher profile games.
01-27-2016 05:20 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

James Madison
(01-27-2016 04:07 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  

Fair enough. On account of the allegations that we are giving improper benefits to student athletes we have no history of such things nor are there any concerns.

I won't speak to the allegations that Coach knew or didn't know about what allegedly took place at Louisville. Doesn't matter. He's at UNCW now.

I didn't feel the necessity to get into a pissing match on your board. I just thought it was humorous. I'll take JMU more seriously once they prove they can beat us.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2016 07:14 PM by B_Hawk06.)
01-27-2016 07:13 PM
Advertisement

Proff Offline
1st String

We are 5 point dogs.
01-27-2016 07:38 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(01-27-2016 07:38 PM)Proff Wrote:  We are 5 point dogs.

That's probably about right. I think UNCW can definitely win. But it's on their floor and JMU has been on a roll.

As Rik Flair says:

[Image: 05b235f539ae5a5acc15c73ee86acc3e.jpg]
01-27-2016 07:50 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

James Madison
JMU definitely needs to get the home court respect even though they've had most of their success on the road. Teams who do well away from home tend to simply be really good teams, period. Their lack of home success is probably due for "regression to the mean".

Scary game for sure.
01-27-2016 08:04 PM
Hall of Famer

RE: James Madison - Game Thread
http://uncwsports.com/news/2016/1/26/JMU_preview.aspx

[Image: passthru_imagecredit_gamedayjmu012816.jpg]

CAA Leaders Collide At The Convo

WILMINGTON, North Carolina – The UNCW men's basketball team shoots for its longest winning streak of the season when the Seahawks carry their five-game string to Harrisonburg, Va., Thursday night to face James Madison's Dukes in a matchup of two of the Colonial Athletic Association's three first-place teams.

The Seahawks, 14-5 overall and 6-2 in the CAA, take on the Dukes at 7 p.m. at the JMU Convocation Center in Harrisonburg, Va. JMU stands 16-5 and 6-2 as the CAA race heats up, with fellow frontrunner Hofstra playing host to Elon.

"JMU is playing the best basketball of anybody in the league right now," said Kevin Keatts, UNCW's second-year head coach. "It's a big challenge for us because they can score at four different positions, and they're playing very good basketball.

"Ron Curry can score, but he's doing a good job of getting everyone else involved. We'll have to do a good job of staying composed and sharing the basketball. We're playing a very good basketball team on Thursday."

The talented Curry, a 6-3, 200-pounder out of Pennsauken, N.J., is one of the CAA's most versatile performers. He averaged 13.0 points and 5.5 rebounds last week in wins over Drexel and Elon and has reached double digits in a league-high 13 straight games.

The Seahawks have won five in the row for the second time this year and can top that string with a win Thursday night. UNCW opened the campaign by reeling off five consecutive non-conference victories, cranked out a four-game streak in late December, and is now on another five-game roll.

Featuring a well-balanced offensive attack, UNCW is coming off a 77-71 road win over Drexel on Sunday in snowy Philadelphia. Chris Flemmings, Denzel Ingram and C.J. Bryce combined for 59 points and fueled a second-half comeback as UNCW fought off the Dragons, 77-71. Flemmings and Ingram scored 21 points each and Bryce chipped in 17 for the Seahawks, who overcame a 37-32 halftime deficit by shooting 50 percent in the second half.

On Monday, Bryce landed CAA Rookie-of-the-Week honors for the third time this season. The Charlotte product averaged 16.5 points and 7.0 rebounds while shooting an impressive 63.6 percent as the Seahawks completed regular season sweeps of Delaware and Drexel. For the week, he drained 14-of-22 shots and made his only three-point field goal attempt.

JMU, meanwhile, extended its winning streak to five games by breaking away from Elon, 82-64, in the second half last Saturday in Elon, N.C. Curry, Joey McLean and Paulius Satkus each scored 14 points for the Dukes, who limited the Phoenix to just 25 percent shooting in the final period.

In the last matchup of the two teams, senior guard Addison Spruill of UNCW poured in 18 points in his final home game and UNCW had 15 assists on 27 baskets in a 74-54 manhandling of James Madison on Feb. 25, 2015, in the regular season home finale at Trask Coliseum. Spruill anchored a balanced attack that featured six players with at least eight points for UNCW, which finished with a 10-2 home record. Junior guard Ron Curry had a game-high 23 points for JMU.

Senior guard Freddie Jackson erupted for a game-high 26 points, including 19 in the first half, to power UNCW past JMU, 77-65, in the last game between the two teams at the JMU Convocation Center on Feb. 4, 2015. The Seahawks won for the first time in Harrisonburg since 2006 by making 9-of-15 behind the arc and committing a season-low six turnovers. Addison Spruill and Craig Ponder added 18 points apiece, while Ron Curry had 21 for the Dukes, who trailed by as many as 19 points in the contest.

UNCW owns a slim 35-33 edge in the 68-game series. The Seahawks have won two in a row over the Dukes, but JMU has taken six of the last 10 meetings. UNCW's Kevin Keatts is 2-0 against the Dukes after his club took both games last year by an average of 16.0 ppg.

UNCW is making its 30th appearance at the purple and gold JMU Convocation Center. The Seahawks stand 11-18 at the Convo and have split their last 10 games in Harrisonburg.

The Seahawks, tackling four road games in five outings, return to the Port City on Saturday to entertain the College of Charleston in the annual Homecoming Game at Trask Coliseum.

All of UNCW's games are carried live on the Seahawk Digital Network (SDN). Fans can visit UNCWsports.com, click the Live Events button, and select the game for a free audio feed of the contest. Seahawk basketball may also be heard over the radio airwaves on The Beach 94.1 FM/WLSG 1340 AM in Wilmington and New Hanover County and Freedom 97.1 FM/WSME 1120 AM in Jacksonville and Onslow County.

For more information on the Seahawks, like the team on Facebook (UNCW Men's Basketball) or follow the team on Twitter (@UNCWMensHoops).
01-28-2016 10:09 AM
Hall of Famer

CAA Schedule this week:

Thursday

7 PM - UNCW (6-2) @ JMU (6-2)
Elon (3-5) @ Hofstra (6-2)
Towson (5-3) @ Drexel (1-7)
W&M (5-3) @ Delaware (0-8)
7:30 - Northeastern (4-4) @ Charleston (4-4)

Saturday

2 PM - Delaware @ Towson
4 PM - Hofstra @ Drexel
7 PM - Charleston @ UNCW
Elon @ Northeastern

Sunday

7 PM - JMU @ W&M
01-28-2016 10:15 AM
Advertisement

Proff Offline
1st String

We are now 4.5 dogs.
01-28-2016 10:16 AM
Alpha Hawk Offline
Water Engineer

01-28-2016 10:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Won't be able to watch the first half of the game, unfortunately. Let's get the W!
01-28-2016 05:47 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

Flemmings does Flemmings things on his first shot of the night from 3!
01-28-2016 07:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.