Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Anyone up for talking CUSA Baseball?
Bookmark and Share
EagNBran Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
I know some of you are still excited about conference basketball play, but some others of us have been waiting for baseball season since football ended. So I'd like to hear about expectations and what teams are going to look like this Fall.
01-16-2016 02:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
RE: Anyone up for talking CUSA Baseball?
(01-16-2016 02:23 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  I know some of you are still excited about conference basketball play, but some others of us have been waiting for baseball season since football ended. So I'd like to hear about expectations and what teams are going to look like this Fall.

As crappy as our football season was, and as crappy as has been our basketball team to this point, count me amongst those looking forward to baseball. LOL

Here's a few links to some baseball reading material.04-cheers

D1Baseball Preseason Top 25

Perfect Game Preseason Top 25

Collegiate Baseball Preseason Top 25

D1Baseball Top 25 Recruiting Classes for 2015

C-USA finished last year a very respectable 8th in RPI with Rice, Florida Atlantic and Southern Miss being the class of the conference. FIU sort of came out of nowhere to win the conference tournament and with that C-USA had 3 teams in the post season.

Don't know how things would have shaken out if FIU had not won the auto-bid, but I could still have imagined C-USA getting 3 teams in the playoff field.

I haven't looked at this year's lineups as compared to last year's but believe Rice will be the team to beat.

Good luck to the Eagles.04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2016 08:47 AM by CajunFanatico.)
01-16-2016 08:45 AM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

Ours will be more of the same. 4th year in a row left at home....I can't understand how our administration can let this continue. Hope I am wrong...
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2016 10:01 AM by nastybunch.)
01-16-2016 10:00 AM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
more than half of Tech's baseball team is new and it looks like one of Tech's QBs, J'Mar Smith, is playing baseball as well
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2016 12:39 PM by techdawg88.)
01-16-2016 12:38 PM
MasMack Offline
1st String

I expect another 30 win season and missing regional play for my eagles. Hope I'm wrong, but I simply don't hear a lot of things to be overly excited about.

If we do make a regional or win the conference, in my opinion, we will have over achieved.

Hate how our baseball team has gone down hill after a string of 10 strong years, including a World Series appearance.
01-16-2016 03:27 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
This is the first year in recent memory that Rice has been left off two major preseason polls.
We're "o-fer-2" on this so far as I have never given much/any credence to "CB". Would like to see if we make the Baseball America preseason rankings.

That said, I think there's plenty of upside to this year's Rice Owls. I still think we're going to be favored to win conference, but far from a given. I think CUSA should be strong again with at least 2 or 3 teams with a legitimate shot at making an Omaha trip.
01-16-2016 03:48 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(01-16-2016 03:27 PM)MasMack Wrote:  I expect another 30 win season and missing regional play for my eagles. Hope I'm wrong, but I simply don't hear a lot of things to be overly excited about.

If we do make a regional or win the conference, in my opinion, we will have over achieved.

Hate how our baseball team has gone down hill after a string of 10 strong years, including a World Series appearance.

that's the interesting caveat.....which one does the fan want to see?.....more years of mediocrity with a smattering of success or developing another game plan through losing and changes.....

it's not close to the Elllllllllllloss debacle......reminds me quite a bit of Turk's and Bower's end run....

I'm going wait and watch the talent/game planning on the field.....shouldn't take long to make up my mind....
01-16-2016 03:49 PM
MasMack Offline
1st String

(01-16-2016 03:49 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(01-16-2016 03:27 PM)MasMack Wrote:  I expect another 30 win season and missing regional play for my eagles. Hope I'm wrong, but I simply don't hear a lot of things to be overly excited about.

that's the interesting caveat.....which one does the fan want to see?.....more years of mediocrity with a smattering of success or developing another game plan through losing and changes.....

it's not close to the Elllllllllllloss debacle......reminds me quite a bit of Turk's and Bower's end run....

I'm going wait and watch the talent/game planning on the field.....shouldn't take long to make up my mind....

This is year 5 for Berry. He made a regional in year 1. Has missed the last three. He had seniors last year that were part of the #3 recruiting class in the nation. Last year they showed flashes of being a better coached team, but still lost some games that were head scratchers.

In my opinion, Berry will never get us to where we want to be. Which is a consistent top 25 team, making regionals every year, with legitimate shots at hosting regionals and making it to supers and CWS. We were there when he took over. But not today. 30 win seasons with no championships or regional appearances is not acceptable at USM.
01-16-2016 04:22 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

(01-16-2016 04:22 PM)MasMack Wrote:  
(01-16-2016 03:49 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

This is year 5 for Berry. He made a regional in year 1. Has missed the last three. He had seniors last year that were part of the #3 recruiting class in the nation. Last year they showed flashes of being a better coached team, but still lost some games that were head scratchers.

In my opinion, Berry will never get us to where we want to be. Which is a consistent top 25 team, making regionals every year, with legitimate shots at hosting regionals and making it to supers and CWS. We were there when he took over. But not today. 30 win seasons with no championships or regional appearances is not acceptable at USM.

Actually, Berry made regionals his first two years. Hasn't been since, 4 years in a row. This is his 7th year as head coach.
01-16-2016 07:58 PM
eagle04 Offline
All American

(01-16-2016 12:38 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  more than half of Tech's baseball team is new and it looks like one of Tech's QBs, J'Mar Smith, is playing baseball as well

Hearing anything about some of the transfers? I coached one of them when he was in High School. Very talented.
01-18-2016 09:59 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
Alas...If only we had a stadium.
01-18-2016 10:01 AM
Advertisement

eagle04 Offline
All American

I am, again, cautiously optimistic about our squad this year. There is a lot of talent coming in and some veteran leadership coming back. I hope we start to see some progression from our players this year. Several talented guys on this team and many coming in. One of the biggest knocks on Berry has been the somewhat regression of talented players.

If we don't make post season this year, I believe Scott is gone.
01-18-2016 10:03 AM
eagle04 Offline
All American

(01-18-2016 10:01 AM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  Alas...If only we had a stadium.

Don't you guys travel something like an hour to your home stadium?

Also, thought there was an on campus or close to campus stadium in the works?
01-18-2016 10:05 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(01-18-2016 10:05 AM)eagle04 Wrote:  
(01-18-2016 10:01 AM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  Alas...If only we had a stadium.

Don't you guys travel something like an hour to your home stadium?

Also, thought there was an on campus or close to campus stadium in the works?

Our home stadium is Appalachian Power Park in downtown Charleston (about an hour). It's home of the single A farm team WV Power.

There was talk of a stadium being located on the ACF grounds (a defunct rail car manufacturing company), but I have heard that the EPA would force a buyer to dig down something like 10-20 feet or so to excavate contaminants. I have no idea of knowing how much truth there is to that. Probably some considering the factory had operated for decades and there is probably a lot of oil and grease in the ground.

The second site is property across from ACF (its parking lot) and an adjacent lot. I've heard that the seller wants an exorbitant amount of money for it. It would be nice if Marshall could claim eminent domain.

HerdZoned or Coach MacLid probably have more information on this than me. Or at least more accurate.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2016 10:33 AM by THUNDERStruck73.)
01-18-2016 10:30 AM
BlueRaiderBoy Offline
All American

I Root For: MTSU
Believe Blue Raider Baseball Team conducts annual Ground Hog Day Luncheon at Murphy Center on February 2. Think they have been doing this Kick-off lunch for about 50 years. And it is never too early to start talking about the National Pastime!
01-18-2016 12:46 PM
Mr. Bojangles Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CHARLOTTE
This is a big year for Charlotte. Our 1st C-USA level recruiting class will be JRs this season and we lose almost nothing to graduation/draft from last year's team.

Our full weekend rotation returns on the mound and we add a Maryland transfer who may compete for a weekend spot.
In the line-up we only lose 1 starter, and get our senior starting 3B back after a medical RS last year. We have brought in a JUCO behind the plate to help improve one of our weak spots from last season. Freshman class is talented and may have 2 starters in the OF.

At the very least, this team should take the next step up into finishing in the top 8 and making the C-USA tournament. With the off the field issues from last year behind us, I think we can finish in the 5-8 range in the conference.

Also, we have added a new synthetic turf infield this season. Should help out with some of the early season rain/ snow that we've had cancelling games over the past few seasons.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2016 04:21 PM by Mr. Bojangles.)
01-18-2016 04:19 PM
Advertisement

Norm DaNiner Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Charlotte
(01-18-2016 04:19 PM)Mr. Bojangles Wrote:  This is a big year for Charlotte. Our 1st C-USA level recruiting class will be JRs this season and we lose almost nothing to graduation/draft from last year's team.

Our full weekend rotation returns on the mound and we add a Maryland transfer who may compete for a weekend spot.
In the line-up we only lose 1 starter, and get our senior starting 3B back after a medical RS last year. We have brought in a JUCO behind the plate to help improve one of our weak spots from last season. Freshman class is talented and may have 2 starters in the OF.

At the very least, this team should take the next step up into finishing in the top 8 and making the C-USA tournament. With the off the field issues from last year behind us, I think we can finish in the 5-8 range in the conference.

Also, we have added a new synthetic turf infield this season. Should help out with some of the early season rain/ snow that we've had cancelling games over the past few seasons.

Really cautiously optimistic about this years squad Mr. Bo. It has been too long since we have been a player. I really hope Coach Hibbs has a good year. He is a class act and deserves it. Our pitching should be a real strength.
01-18-2016 05:35 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(01-18-2016 09:59 AM)eagle04 Wrote:  
(01-16-2016 12:38 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  more than half of Tech's baseball team is new and it looks like one of Tech's QBs, J'Mar Smith, is playing baseball as well

Hearing anything about some of the transfers? I coached one of them when he was in High School. Very talented.

which transfer?
01-18-2016 06:44 PM
49erAlumnus Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(01-18-2016 05:35 PM)Norm DaNiner Wrote:  
(01-18-2016 04:19 PM)Mr. Bojangles Wrote:  This is a big year for Charlotte. Our 1st C-USA level recruiting class will be JRs this season and we lose almost nothing to graduation/draft from last year's team.

Really cautiously optimistic about this years squad Mr. Bo. It has been too long since we have been a player. I really hope Coach Hibbs has a good year. He is a class act and deserves it. Our pitching should be a real strength.

I think cautiously optimistic is a good way to put it. The last two years have been a struggle, but we knew that coming into C-USA. On paper, it appears that the staff addressed our shortcomings in the off-season. We really needed a catcher and a center fielder. Hope the new guys pan out. I'd be pretty leased with our progress if we finished in the 5-8 range.
01-19-2016 10:25 AM
PaulDel2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Sothern Miss
(01-16-2016 03:48 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  This is the first year in recent memory that Rice has been left off two major preseason polls.
We're "o-fer-2" on this so far as I have never given much/any credence to "CB". Would like to see if we make the Baseball America preseason rankings.

That said, I think there's plenty of upside to this year's Rice Owls. I still think we're going to be favored to win conference, but far from a given. I think CUSA should be strong again with at least 2 or 3 teams with a legitimate shot at making an Omaha trip.

Based on what I have seen over the years, i am confident that Rice will again be the bell cow. Just a really good solid program.
01-19-2016 10:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.