Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

University of Toledo Master Plan
Bookmark and Share
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
The university is in a master plan process and has started a website to solicit input. You have an opportunity to comment on specific items in the Participate portion. You can also provide an email address for updates

http://utoledomasterplan.org/
From the page....

The University of Toledo Multiple Campus Master Plan will take a comprehensive look at our many campuses and facilities, establish a long-term vision, and guide decision-making for the next 10 years. We will take an integrated approach that addresses our academic, clinical, physical, functional, and financial realities. The master plan will look at the university in a way that has not been done before.

Your voice is important and we want to hear from you! This is the site to directly participate in the preparation of UT's campus master plan. React to posted questions and plans, ask us your own questions, and sign-up for project updates. Come back often for new questions and surveys, new ideas, and opportunities for your input.

Whether you are a current student, alum, neighbor, faculty, staff, city resident or just plain interested in UT, this is the place for you to interact!
01-07-2016 12:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
RE: University of Toledo Master Plan
Thanks for posting. Great things are happening at UT!
01-07-2016 03:34 PM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
Did anyone notice where the hockey practice arena is planned being built???
01-07-2016 05:50 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Always good to consider facilities when trying to improve but I've seen some pretty ugly duck campuses known for their academic rep.

First priority has to be educational opportunity (relationships between students and Professors, instructional quality, class size, research opportunity, experiential learning beyond co-op).. Do SOMETHING in those regards that others are not. It's that and that alone that will move the university up the quickest.

Second priority is connecting students and graduates to potential employers and further educational experience, even if you have to pay a company to come to campus to interview your graduates (which would be a fairly unique approach I believe). Colleges tend to be pipelines to certain places of employment. When kids ask my advice on college, I suggest they find out, which employers interview on campus. A recent college graduate sending a resume in response to an advertisement has a better chance winning this next lottery. You want face time with the type of employer you hope to spend your life. You want an on-campus interview with the most exciting places to work, if only to get a peek.

Third priority is connecting Professors to grants and funding.

These will have the biggest return on investment.

The more expensive priorities will only gain a university inches in the rankings. New infrastructures are important but not as important as maintaining the structures in place. Student environments must be kept clean, maintained and safe (which they generally seem to be).

Campus is too spread out. It rarely looks "lived in." Classroom and lecture halls on the main quad should be full from morning to afternoon. This is one reason I would support Rocket Hall being turned into an evening Student Union/banquet facility/secondary administrative office building)

24 hr doughnut shop within spitting distance of the dorms and get the hell rid of that plasma center. Zone so that all new developments and small businesses are either organically grown from the Dorr St neighborhood using the housing in place or of the style of Barnes and Noble. No strip malls. Time to build a little town with a variety of architecture, not a suburb.
01-07-2016 06:58 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

Re: RE: University of Toledo Master Plan
(01-07-2016 06:58 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Always good to consider facilities when trying to improve but I've seen some pretty ugly duck campuses known for their academic rep.

First priority has to be educational opportunity (relationships between students and Professors, instructional quality, class size, research opportunity, experiential learning beyond co-op).. Do SOMETHING in those regards that others are not. It's that and that alone that will move the university up the quickest.

Second priority is connecting students and graduates to potential employers and further educational experience, even if you have to pay a company to come to campus to interview your graduates (which would be a fairly unique approach I believe). Colleges tend to be pipelines to certain places of employment. When kids ask my advice on college, I suggest they find out, which employers interview on campus. A recent college graduate sending a resume in response to an advertisement has a better chance winning this next lottery. You want face time with the type of employer you hope to spend your life. You want an on-campus interview with the most exciting places to work, if only to get a peek.

Third priority is connecting Professors to grants and funding.

These will have the biggest return on investment.

The more expensive priorities will only gain a university inches in the rankings. New infrastructures are important but not as important as maintaining the structures in place. Student environments must be kept clean, maintained and safe (which they generally seem to be).

Campus is too spread out. It rarely looks "lived in." Classroom and lecture halls on the main quad should be full from morning to afternoon. This is one reason I would support Rocket Hall being turned into an evening Student Union/banquet facility/secondary administrative office building)

24 hr doughnut shop within spitting distance of the dorms and get the hell rid of that plasma center. Zone so that all new developments and small businesses are either organically grown from the Dorr St neighborhood using the housing in place or of the style of Barnes and Noble. No strip malls. Time to build a little town with a variety of architecture, not a suburb.

Put this on the website. Good feedback

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
01-07-2016 09:19 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Thanks but some things are better done by people who understand grammar, clarity and brevity, lol.
01-07-2016 09:51 PM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(01-07-2016 05:50 PM)Terry Wrote:  Did anyone notice where the hockey practice arena is planned being built???

Again, the Field House would have been perfect for that.
01-07-2016 10:09 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

The Field House is perfect for what was done with it and has more value added. Ice house would be nice. Just not there.
01-07-2016 10:38 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(01-07-2016 10:38 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  The Field House is perfect for what was done with it and has more value added. Ice house would be nice. Just not there.

Would have rather seen a nice new structure for the classrooms, offices, and auditorium. And certainly a ice facility is not a must.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2016 01:16 AM by Boca Rocket.)
01-08-2016 01:14 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

Puck would be great. Men's and women's teams. But that is a whole lot of scholarships

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-08-2016 06:35 AM
Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

(01-08-2016 06:35 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  Puck would be great. Men's and women's teams. But that is a whole lot of scholarships

Thanks for sharing, I just signed up for updates. My sense is that over time Scott Park will be shuttered because that campus has little to no synergies with the main campus or the health science campus. I also know that the new President wants those sports on the main campus to create more energy and enthusiasm for the students, etc. Soccer for example could be played inside the track facility, many schools do that now.
01-08-2016 08:27 AM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-08-2016 08:27 AM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  
(01-08-2016 06:35 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  Puck would be great. Men's and women's teams. But that is a whole lot of scholarships

Thanks for sharing, I just signed up for updates. My sense is that over time Scott Park will be shuttered because that campus has little to no synergies with the main campus or the health science campus. I also know that the new President wants those sports on the main campus to create more energy and enthusiasm for the students, etc. Soccer for example could be played inside the track facility, many schools do that now.

There has been talk on campus about shutting down buildings because they are no longer needed.
01-08-2016 08:41 AM
1st String

(01-08-2016 08:41 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(01-08-2016 08:27 AM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  

There has been talk on campus about shutting down buildings because they are no longer needed.

I think you are right. From what I recall UT wants to right size itself and eliminate about 1 million square feet and then concentrate the resources on the buildings we need. Sounds like common sense and glad we are doing it.
01-08-2016 10:22 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2016 01:14 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 10:38 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  The Field House is perfect for what was done with it and has more value added. Ice house would be nice. Just not there.

Would have rather seen a nice new structure for the classrooms, offices, and auditorium. And certainly a ice facility is not a must.

Rocket Hall IS new, and award winning. I've not seen a built from scratch building that serves the function better and has anywhere near the architectural character. It's used every day by a significant part of the student and faculty body, not just a few on a few days. Choice between what they did and an Ice House? No brainer. They made the right one.

Now, where SHOULD the ice rink go? There's that big emptry field between Student Union and Biology but it makes more sense doesn't it to keep athletic training facilities as proximent as possible. Is that what the new study is about? Efficient use?
01-08-2016 10:35 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-08-2016 10:35 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  

Rocket Hall IS new, and award winning. I've not seen a built from scratch building that serves the function better and has anywhere near the architectural character. It's used every day by a significant part of the student and faculty body, not just a few on a few days. Choice between what they did and an Ice House? No brainer. They made the right one.

Now, where SHOULD the ice rink go? There's that big emptry field between Student Union and Biology but it makes more sense doesn't it to keep athletic training facilities as proximent as possible. Is that what the new study is about? Efficient use?

That "field" isn't empty. It was landscaped with hundreds of trees and bushes a few years ago.

UT does own a large piece of open land at Dorr and Richards that would hold an ice arena nicely.
01-08-2016 10:59 AM
1st String

(01-08-2016 10:59 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  

That "field" isn't empty. It was landscaped with hundreds of trees and bushes a few years ago.

UT does own a large piece of open land at Dorr and Richards that would hold an ice arena nicely.

The Scott Park facilities are average at best so my sense is those get moved to the main campus and upgraded before we build anything of this degree.
01-08-2016 11:24 AM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2016 10:59 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  

Where ROTC used to be? I don't know what you're looking at but there's not "hundreds" of trees there. There's a few trees and some man-made bumps. Maybe there are and I didn't notice. I'll be driving by this weekend, I'll check it out. It's certainly not "park-like," wonder what their goal was?

Ok, so that's out. Ice rink needs to go somewhere close to the tracks I guess.
01-08-2016 11:42 AM
1st String

I thought Rocket Hall was the renovated shopping center? No? Anyone have a picture of it?
01-08-2016 02:06 PM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
(01-08-2016 02:06 PM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  

I thought Rocket Hall was the renovated shopping center? No? Anyone have a picture of it?

Yes. I think they used the part where the "State Liquor Store" was........

Diamonds Men's Warehouse was on one end, and Foodtown was on the end closest to Dorr Street.
01-08-2016 02:25 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(01-08-2016 02:25 PM)Terry Wrote:  
(01-08-2016 02:06 PM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  

Yes. I think they used the part where the "State Liquor Store" was........

Diamonds Men's Warehouse was on one end, and Foodtown was on the end closest to Dorr Street.

The Paladium was on the demolished west wing. My wife was the hostess there.
01-08-2016 02:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.