Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

For someone who posts on GSUFans
Bookmark and Share
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I've got other things to do than wait to get activated.

I can rather quickly resolve some things brought up in the Cure Bowl thread.

1. CBS Sports is "available" in 96 million homes, that just means there are 96 million homes with cable or satellite connections that contract with CBS. Not all of them subscribe to CBS Sports. In fact based on the last numbers I've seen, a bit over 40 million homes can tune in CBS Sports right now without having to call their provider and order additional service.

2. Revenue share. It's two parts. A check and tickets sold. Check is payable to the conference. The tickets, you get to keep 50% of what you sell. The other 50% goes into a pool. First use of the pool is to insure that all other Sun Belt teams break even vs. a reasonable budget (determined by the league office, if they think you should spend $500,000 on the trip and you spend $600,000 they will make sure you hit $500,000 in revenue by supplementing what you sell). If anything is left in the pool, it goes into the Sun Belt revenue distribution and you get 1/11th.

3. Payout. As noted above it is a check and tickets. The announced NOLA payout is based on selling 3,500 tickets. The more common number is 10,000 for our level bowls. Most of the BIG bowls are based on 17,500 tickets except for the Rose which is based on 25,000 tickets.

Most games don't sell out the tickets they have in inventory, and will gladly give you more to sell on a reasonable deal.

A quick example of the magic. Three bowls with tickets priced at $50 (easier math). Bowl A assumes 3,500 tickets in payout $175,000 of announced payout is tickets. Bowl B makes 10,000 tickets part of the payout so tickets are $500,000 of payout. Bowl C makes 17,500 part of the payout so $875,000.

Team 1 let's say is going to sell 5,000 tickets regardless of which three bowls it goes to. In every case their real American cash money is $500,000 of which the Sun Belt skims $250,000 and may give all, part or none of it back to Team 1, but the uninformed believe Bowl C is paying out huge bucks.

Finally, about that check. It is fairly common to pay a bowl a marketing fee or some such label. So the conference may tender a check to the bowl in the spring or winter in the amount of $400,000. Come time for the game, the bowl cuts a check to the conference in the amount of $500,000. Then a short time later the conference writes another $400,000 check. Why does that happen? First it boosts the payout and makes the uniformed more impressed, second it helps make sure the bowl has operating funds to get to the next year.
11-24-2015 04:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SBEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: For someone who posts on GSUFans
You don't know the secret hand shake?
11-24-2015 04:50 PM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

Make checks payable to "Eagle22".

I posted it there for ya until you get approval.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2015 04:59 PM by bullitt_60.)
11-24-2015 04:53 PM
Advertisement

TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
One of our posters put in the thread. Eagle22 is pretty good about activation, so give it a minute.
11-24-2015 05:00 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(11-24-2015 04:50 PM)SBEagle Wrote:  You don't know the secret hand shake?

He's worried about catching a communicable disease
11-24-2015 05:37 PM
Advertisement

Eagle22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GA Southern
(11-24-2015 04:30 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I've got other things to do than wait to get activated.

1. CBS Sports is "available" in 96 million homes, that just means there are 96 million homes with cable or satellite connections that contract with CBS. Not all of them subscribe to CBS Sports. In fact based on the last numbers I've seen, a bit over 40 million homes can tune in CBS Sports right now without having to call their provider and order additional service.

2. Revenue share. It's two parts. A check and tickets sold. Check is payable to the conference. The tickets, you get to keep 50% of what you sell. The other 50% goes into a pool. First use of the pool is to insure that all other Sun Belt teams break even vs. a reasonable budget (determined by the league office, if they think you should spend $500,000 on the trip and you spend $600,000 they will make sure you hit $500,000 in revenue by supplementing what you sell). If anything is left in the pool, it goes into the Sun Belt revenue distribution and you get 1/11th.

3. Payout. As noted above it is a check and tickets. The announced NOLA payout is based on selling 3,500 tickets. The more common number is 10,000 for our level bowls. Most of the BIG bowls are based on 17,500 tickets except for the Rose which is based on 25,000 tickets.

Most games don't sell out the tickets they have in inventory, and will gladly give you more to sell on a reasonable deal.

A quick example of the magic. Three bowls with tickets priced at $50 (easier math). Bowl A assumes 3,500 tickets in payout $175,000 of announced payout is tickets. Bowl B makes 10,000 tickets part of the payout so tickets are $500,000 of payout. Bowl C makes 17,500 part of the payout so $875,000.

Team 1 let's say is going to sell 5,000 tickets regardless of which three bowls it goes to. In every case their real American cash money is $500,000 of which the Sun Belt skims $250,000 and may give all, part or none of it back to Team 1, but the uninformed believe Bowl C is paying out huge bucks.

Finally, about that check. It is fairly common to pay a bowl a marketing fee or some such label. So the conference may tender a check to the bowl in the spring or winter in the amount of $400,000. Come time for the game, the bowl cuts a check to the conference in the amount of $500,000. Then a short time later the conference writes another $400,000 check. Why does that happen? First it boosts the payout and makes the uniformed more impressed, second it helps make sure the bowl has operating funds to get to the next year.

You should be good to go.

Sorry, was tied up in a meeting giving a presentation.
11-24-2015 06:11 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(11-24-2015 06:11 PM)Eagle22 Wrote:  
(11-24-2015 04:30 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I've got other things to do than wait to get activated.

And I was tied up when your email came in. Damned making money crap interferes with the important stuff.
11-24-2015 10:03 PM
Advertisement

SBEagle Offline
1st String

Re: RE: For someone who posts on GSUFans

How dare you make him wait a few hours.
11-24-2015 10:20 PM
indianE Offline
2nd String

I Root For: stAte
Why is there an activation period on a sports message board?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
11-25-2015 09:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagle22 Offline
Special Teams

(11-25-2015 09:53 AM)indianE Wrote:  Why is there an activation period on a sports message board?

Unfortunately the captcha setup on my site is jacked up, and I get several thousand spam accounts each week.

I'd rather go that route, than have to spend my free time deleting the spam from the board.

Hoping to fix/correct this issue once football season is over and I'm upgrading the software.
11-25-2015 10:01 AM
Eagle22 Offline
Special Teams

(11-24-2015 10:03 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

And I was tied up when your email came in. Damned making money crap interferes with the important stuff.

Agreed !
11-25-2015 10:04 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(11-25-2015 10:01 AM)Eagle22 Wrote:  
(11-25-2015 09:53 AM)indianE Wrote:  Why is there an activation period on a sports message board?

Unfortunately the captcha setup on my site is jacked up, and I get several thousand spam accounts each week.

I'd rather go that route, than have to spend my free time deleting the spam from the board.

Hoping to fix/correct this issue once football season is over and I'm upgrading the software.

I used Simple Machine for years, had very few issues.
http://www.simplemachines.org/

Harry over at GoMeanGreen is big fan of Invision which I nearly switched to before moving to Scout.
https://www.invisionpower.com/
11-25-2015 10:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.