Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Texas opening shop in Houston
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
Looks like a money grab to me and unnecessary. Rice and Houston have more than enough capacity to serve this. This will have an affect on Houston if it comes to fruition and needs to be stopped. Instead of duplicating dollars, just fund Houston and other schools more.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/sta...m-referral

The University of Texas System’s plan to establish a campus in Houston is prompting questions about the need for such a venture, its cost and the inevitable competition with the University of Houston and other schools for students, faculty and philanthropic dollars.

UT Chancellor Bill McRaven, who came up with the plan, envisions an intellectual hub for education and research capitalizing on the energy, medical and other strengths of the state’s largest city. The system’s Board of Regents has authorized McRaven and his staff to purchase 332 acres of mostly undeveloped land in the southwestern part of the city.

“We know that there is broad support for UT in Houston,” said Paul Foster, chairman of the regents. “For UT-Austin alone, we have more alumni and more student applicants hailing from Houston than anywhere else in the state.”
- See more at: http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/sta...Luvl3.dpuf
11-11-2015 07:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Puckhead48E Offline
Special Teams

RE: OT: Texas opening shop in Houston
Sounds like UT's response to the UH president trying to pressure their way into Big 12.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
11-11-2015 07:44 PM
Pony94 Online

They are maxed out in Austin and have been sending kids to UTSA campus for the first year or two I don't see why they can't just expand that
11-11-2015 07:49 PM
CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
In the DFW area, we have two UT institutions (UTD and UTA), a large public university not affiliated with UT (UNT), a small public university not affiliated with UT (TWU), TCU, SMU, DBU, University of Dallas, not to mention the smaller universities no one knew about until Doh scheduled them in basketball.

I think Houston can easily handle a new UT institution without any major effects on UH or Rice.
11-11-2015 07:51 PM
UHDC Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Houston
I'm not worried. It will either be apart of another branch or it will be a hybrid campus. Won't be a school many kids are dying to attend. I also don't think it will be pulling any research funding from UH. Consider it another UH-Sugarland but has the name UT in front of it.
11-11-2015 07:58 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Re: RE: OT: Texas opening shop in Houston
(11-11-2015 07:51 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  In the DFW area, we have two UT institutions (UTD and UTA), a large public university not affiliated with UT (UNT), a small public university not affiliated with UT (TWU), TCU, SMU, DBU, University of Dallas, not to mention the smaller universities no one knew about until Doh scheduled them in basketball.

I think Houston can easily handle a new UT institution without any major effects on UH or Rice.

It won't affect Rice, because Rice is an elite university, sandwiched between Vanderbilt and Notre Dame in the US News rankings.

But this is a big threat to Houston, no question about it. This satellite will compete for precisely the kinds of working and middle-class kids who don't have the academic credentials to go UT-Austin that Houston attracts.

Big threat to UH, no sugar-coating it.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2015 08:04 PM by quo vadis.)
11-11-2015 08:01 PM
Advertisement

PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU, AAC
(11-11-2015 07:44 PM)Puckhead48E Wrote:  Sounds like UT's response to the UH president trying to pressure their way into Big 12.

Yeah, they want into our athletics conference, so we'll spend a billion dollars to put an entire CAMPUS in their city. Makes sense 07-coffee3
11-11-2015 08:12 PM
Pony94 Online

(11-11-2015 07:44 PM)Puckhead48E Wrote:  Sounds like UT's response to the UH president trying to pressure their way into Big 12.

This has been in the works long before that
11-11-2015 08:12 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(11-11-2015 07:51 PM)CalallenStang Wrote:  In the DFW area, we have two UT institutions (UTD and UTA), a large public university not affiliated with UT (UNT), a small public university not affiliated with UT (TWU), TCU, SMU, DBU, University of Dallas, not to mention the smaller universities no one knew about until Doh scheduled them in basketball.

the dallas dynamics dont translate.. and it will have major effects on houston.
private schools are completely different and it has no affect on rice but it will on houston

the people that give us our money are the same people (the state)

Houston has dramatically gotten more funding the last few years on the premise of "the city of houston deserves to have a public university that has .... "
and the state is pushing Houston to have a top university in the country

UT-houston and the texas system can say "we can be that school for Houston, we should be the ones getting the funding" notice how of all the schools you named only 1 public school is highly regard (UTD) the rest arent ..the state/ city arent going to be double spend

this wont be a big deal if houston is still viewed as the prized cattle, but this could be bad if UTH takes that role from us

the board lady brought up a great point. the UT and UH system are different but the one paying for it is the same entity. why is there a need for 2
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2015 08:16 PM by pesik.)
11-11-2015 08:13 PM
Puckhead48E Offline
Special Teams

(11-11-2015 08:12 PM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  

Yeah, they want into our athletics conference, so we'll spend a billion dollars to put an entire CAMPUS in their city. Makes sense 07-coffee3
Should have started it better. This is not a direct response, but instead a statement by UT leadership that they believe UH is small time and their history has created an educational vacuum in Houston that can best be filled by a new UT campus vice more Texas funding for UH. That statement, even indirectly, is a shot across the bow of UH regarding funding and is a very big deal.

11-11-2015 08:20 PM
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

Neither universities will feel any adverse effects. Each of these 3 schools are going after completely different caliber of student. There is a chance that the UT institution could rival UH at some point, but it won't be for decades after it opens.
11-11-2015 08:23 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(11-11-2015 08:01 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

It won't affect Rice, because Rice is an elite university, sandwiched between Vanderbilt and Notre Dame in the US News rankings.

But this is a big threat to Houston, no question about it. This satellite will compete for precisely the kinds of working and middle-class kids who don't have the academic credentials to go UT-Austin that Houston attracts.

Big threat to UH, no sugar-coating it.

it is a threat to houston but not for that reason. Houston has one of te lowest acceptance rates for a public school, simply because Houston is so big and we are the only public school that was repeatable locally

people like to make it seem that UH is a school that anyone can get into because of our not horrible not great rankings (180-200 range on usnews) when that isnt the case ...it's not easy to get into UH, the problem that kills UH's rankings is the 4 and 6 graduation rate (which is very bad). the commuter school culture plays into that, which the school is trying to break with the heavy amount of dorm additions and trying to get people to stay on campus.

i had a debate with some people in the college ranking thread about why graduation rate is a ranking criteria for a schools academic quality. theoretically a school with a hard curriculum where most kids cant pass and few graduate should be higher ranked (not saying that is Houston)

but back to point, we have more than enough students in Houston to be fine, the reason itll hurt Houston is state funding not students
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2015 08:45 PM by pesik.)
11-11-2015 08:29 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(11-11-2015 08:23 PM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  Neither universities will feel any adverse effects. Each of these 3 schools are going after completely different caliber of student. There is a chance that the UT institution could rival UH at some point, but it won't be for decades after it opens.

I agree but you have to think long term on situations like this
11-11-2015 08:30 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: OT: Texas opening shop in Houston
So are they gonna rename houston
UT - Houston
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2015 08:35 PM by shere khan.)
11-11-2015 08:35 PM
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

(11-11-2015 08:30 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 08:23 PM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  Neither universities will feel any adverse effects. Each of these 3 schools are going after completely different caliber of student. There is a chance that the UT institution could rival UH at some point, but it won't be for decades after it opens.

I just don't see Houston, as a research university, even caring. I mean, what I should say is if this situation were to negatively affect anyone, it would end up being the UT campus, not UH.
11-11-2015 08:35 PM
Pony94 Online

(11-11-2015 08:35 PM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 08:30 PM)pesik Wrote:  

I just don't see Houston, as a research university, even caring. I mean, what I should say is if this situation were to negatively affect anyone, it would end up being the UT campus, not UH.

Why, they are maxed out on campus so now they are setting up farms. UTSA came up from nowhere with full support from Austin
11-11-2015 08:40 PM
Advertisement

CornellCoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH and Cornell
This isn't going to cause problems for undergraduate studies at UH. It MIGHT cause problems with UH's pursuit of a medical school.

Kids in Houston who dream of going off to UT aren't going to be immediately going to UT-Houston. They'll likely do what they've been doing since the top 10% rule came to pass; go to St Edwards or ACC and party with their Longhorn friends, slum it at Texas State, or head off to TCU and hang out with other rich underachievers.
11-11-2015 08:43 PM
Pony94 Online

(11-11-2015 08:43 PM)CornellCoog Wrote:  This isn't going to cause problems for undergraduate studies at UH. It MIGHT cause problems with UH's pursuit of a medical school.

Kids in Houston who dream of going off to UT aren't going to be immediately going to UT-Houston. They'll likely do what they've been doing since the top 10% rule came to pass; go to St Edwards or ACC and party with their Longhorn friends, slum it at Texas State, or head off to TCU and hang out with other rich underachievers.

Hey, I started out at Almost College College
11-11-2015 08:44 PM
OldCoog Offline
1st String

CrappiesCrappies
(11-11-2015 08:35 PM)shere khan Wrote:  So are they gonna rename houston
UT - Houston

Bet my life savings hell will freeze over before that happens.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2015 11:14 PM by OldCoog.)
11-11-2015 08:44 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: RE: OT: Texas opening shop in Houston
(11-11-2015 08:43 PM)CornellCoog Wrote:  This isn't going to cause problems for undergraduate studies at UH. It MIGHT cause problems with UH's pursuit of a medical school.

There's always ole miss if they are really really really dumb
11-11-2015 08:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.