Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Big O to be a Pot Kingpin?
Bookmark and Share
namrag Offline
All American

I Root For:
The Big O to be a Pot Kingpin?
Haven't seen mention of this anywhere on here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle...story.html

On Facebook I have seen this story featuring Nick Lachey in a Danny Fortsen UC jersey...

According to the story, Oscar Robertson stands to make a lot of money if pot is legalized in Ohio.

11-02-2015 01:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcat Otto Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: The Big O to be a Pot Kingpin?
Every investor will hope to make money. That is what happens in a capitalist society. The people who take the risk and invest hope to receive a solid ROI.

Same as in any industry. No big deal.

11-02-2015 04:01 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(11-02-2015 04:01 PM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  Every investor will hope to make money. That is what happens in a capitalist society. The people who take the risk and invest hope to receive a solid ROI.

This isn't a risk...these people KNOW they'll be rolling in it. I think the biggest problem some people are having with the legislation (do not count me among them, because I don't care either way as I don't, and won't partake) is that it restricts to only these people and does not allow for a true "free market" for the weed industry in Ohio.

11-02-2015 04:06 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(11-02-2015 04:01 PM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  Every investor will hope to make money. That is what happens in a capitalist society. The people who take the risk and invest hope to receive a solid ROI.

Which is great although the law designates that only 10 farms are allowed to sell the weed and the weed shops must buy weed from those farms.

11-02-2015 04:11 PM
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM
10 farms.

Do you have a choice of more than 10 telephone companies to buy from?
Do you have a choice of more than 10 IPS's to buy from?
Do you have a choice of more than 10 power companies to buy from?
Do you have a choice of more than 10 grocery store chains to buy from? (possibly if you count mom & pop places)
Do you have a choice of more than 10 pharmacies to buy from? (possibly if you count mom & pop places)

The bottom line is that we engage in commerce everyday where there are a limited number of sellers and we live to tell the tale.

11-02-2015 05:08 PM
Bearcat Otto Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(11-02-2015 04:11 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Which is great although the law designates that only 10 farms are allowed to sell the weed and the weed shops must buy weed from those farms.

10 growers to supply how many retail stores?

How does each retail store determine which supplier they purchase from? I am sure that each supplier is not limited or told which retail outlets stores they can service.

What happens when you have competition? Each supplier will need to set themselves apart from the others. Is that a better product? Is that better customer service? Is that a better price? Sounds an awful like the free market to me.

11-02-2015 05:44 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(11-02-2015 05:44 PM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  

How does each retail store determine which supplier they purchase from? I am sure that each supplier is not limited or told which retail outlets stores they can service.

What happens when you have competition? Each supplier will need to set themselves apart from the others. Is that a better product? Is that better customer service? Is that a better price? Sounds an awful like the free market to me.

The 10 farms suppliers, if approved, will make it illegal for you or me to start our own farm.
A weed shop can't sell weed manufactured anywhere but 1 of these farms. Imagine if there were only 10 brewers/distillers and every bar and retailer in Ohio had to buy from them.

A selection of guys with money crafted a monopoly law and got it on the ballot.

11-03-2015 07:46 AM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs

I believe the law would allow 1100 retail stores.

11-03-2015 08:23 AM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Speaking of the Big O, I found it hilarious that last night I saw a commercial with him supporting issue 3. He said he was supporting it because of the health issues he has from his playing career. He conveniently left out the fact that he is one of the investors and will be wiping his ass with $100 bills if it passes.

11-03-2015 08:25 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(11-03-2015 08:25 AM)subflea Wrote:  Speaking of the Big O, I found it hilarious that last night I saw a commercial with him supporting issue 3. He said he was supporting it because of the health issues he has from his playing career. He conveniently left out the fact that he is one of the investors and will be wiping his ass with $100 bills if it passes.

Yeah it is really nice of them to allow the rest us to grow a few plants for consumption ........ but it is illegal to start our own farm.

11-03-2015 08:32 AM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
(11-03-2015 07:46 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

The 10 farms suppliers, if approved, will make it illegal for you or me to start our own farm.
A weed shop can't sell weed manufactured anywhere but 1 of these farms. Imagine if there were only 10 brewers/distillers and every bar and retailer in Ohio had to buy from them.

That's the problem I have with it. I think marijuana shod be legalized but if Joe from down the street wants to start his own farm and sell the legal stuff he grows then he should certainly be allowed to do that.

11-03-2015 08:33 AM
Advertisement

subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I am torn and still not sure which way I am voting. I am all for decriminalizing marijuana, but I hate how this law is set up. Problem is, the only reason this issue has even got this much steam is because of the investors who put up their money to campaign for it. If this fails we go back to a group with limited funds like NORML being the only ones pushing for legalization, and they just don't have the money or the resources to even get the signatures to get it on the ballot.

11-03-2015 08:39 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(11-03-2015 08:39 AM)subflea Wrote:  I am torn and still not sure which way I am voting. I am all for decriminalizing marijuana, but I hate how this law is set up. Problem is, the only reason this issue has even got this much steam is because of the investors who put up their money to campaign for it. If this fails we go back to a group with limited funds like NORML being the only ones pushing for legalization, and they just don't have the money or the resources to even get the signatures to get it on the ballot.

My sentiments as well.

On a positive note, maybe if this law goes into effect Oscar can give more $$$ to UC. :)

11-03-2015 08:43 AM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(11-02-2015 05:08 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  10 farms.

Do you have a choice of more than 10 grocery store chains to buy from? (possibly if you count mom & pop places)
Do you have a choice of more than 10 pharmacies to buy from? (possibly if you count mom & pop places)

The bottom line is that we engage in commerce everyday where there are a limited number of sellers and we live to tell the tale.

The difference is that in this case you have it in the constitution who those sellers can be. If I wanted to start a grocery store or a pharmacy and try to build it to be the next Kroger or CVS I have the right to try and do that. However, in this case I can't even get into the game.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2015 08:45 AM by subflea.)
11-03-2015 08:44 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(11-03-2015 08:44 AM)subflea Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 05:08 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  10 farms.

The difference is that in this case you have it in the constitution who those sellers can be. If I wanted to start a grocery store or a pharmacy and try to build it to be the next Kroger or CVS I have the right to try and do that. However, in this case I can't even get into the game.

Bingo...maybe I'm more free market / pro competition than most, but I don't think a Constitutional amendment should limit the free market that dramatically. It's a Constitutional Amendment written to be a financial windfall for a few people and prevent competition from others who would like to invest... seems too much to me.

11-03-2015 12:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcat Otto Offline
1st String

I Root For:
If it doesn't work out then you change the constitution down the road to reflect a better option.

11-03-2015 01:25 PM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(11-03-2015 01:25 PM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  If it doesn't work out then you change the constitution down the road to reflect a better option.

It's not about working out. I think the legalizing of weed will work out fine. My problem is using a Constitutional Amendment to create a huge financial windfall for a few select people. I don't believe that is what the Constitution is for.

11-03-2015 01:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(11-03-2015 01:41 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(11-03-2015 01:25 PM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  If it doesn't work out then you change the constitution down the road to reflect a better option.

It's not about working out. I think the legalizing of weed will work out fine. My problem is using a Constitutional Amendment to create a huge financial windfall for a few select people. I don't believe that is what the Constitution is for.

By then they will already own the politicians and the also have union backing as the ballot language clearly states the 10 farms are open to unionization. It is crazy to cut out thousands of current Ohio farm operators, or anyone who wants in the game, including any and all retailers.

11-03-2015 01:58 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
Thanks for the detailed arguments, gentlemen. I was torn on this one, but decided "No" on issue 3 was probably the right way to go.

11-03-2015 02:16 PM
OneUChoopsfan Away
I'm Black & White

I Root For: U. C. I LOVE

Donators
(11-03-2015 07:46 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  

Yes.

We have unlimited manufacturers of beer and alcohol, and they can sell to unlimited numbers of sellers of beer and alcohol.

We have unlimited growers of grains, vegetables, pork, beef and farm goods, and they sell to wholesalers and manufacturers, who in turn sell to unlimited numbers of retailers.

This reeks of cronyism, and many of those who favor this amendment are willing to hold their noses in order to see it pass.

Re-write the amendment, and I might vote for it.

11-03-2015 02:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.