Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

ESPN 30 for 30 suggestion — Memphis Madness: The Rise and Fall of Memphis State
Bookmark and Share
displacedTiger Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Memphis
ESPN 30 for 30 suggestion — Memphis Madness: The Rise and Fall of Memphis State
First let me preface this by saying this was written for a general audience. Many of the items I mention and reference are well known to you all but I wrote this a few days ago and posted it on another forum where the story wasn't as well known. It is my hope that perhaps an ESPN 30 for 30 film can be made about this topic...perhaps, someday.

While I have lived in Columbus, Ohio since 1999, I grew up in Memphis, Tennessee. And a sizable part of my heart still belongs there, particularly to Memphis Tiger basketball.

I'm not a filmmaker but I wish I had pursued that line of work when I was younger. It was my passion. One of the stories I would have love to have told would have been a documentary about my hometown Memphis State Tigers in the early-to-mid 1980s (and into the 1990s). The 1980s are a very far removed from 2015, I know, but the story of those teams on the court and particularly after the lights went out on their basketball careers makes for some harrowing drama, in my opinion.

Having grown up there, I of course have a connection to the place. I'm very sentimental about it. My dad was of course a huge Tiger fan. It's his zealousness watching Tiger basketball that got me interested in it to begin with. He died when in 1987, shortly before my 11th birthday. Tiger basketball was what I cared about most during those years that followed. In Memphis, back then (and still today, of course), the basketball team is a representation of the city as a whole. It is probably hard to believe anywhere outside of Indiana caring that much about basketball but, especially in the early-to-mid 1980s Memphis idolized this team. Perhaps too much.

The early-to-mid 1980s Memphis State Tigers were among the most talented basketball teams in the country. They made the Sweet Sixteen 4 years in a row and finally reached the Final Four in 1985 only to lose to eventual National Champion, Villanova. Even during that broadcast I remember being annoyed how much time was devoted to Rollie Massimino Villanova's dream season. Even in their own Final Four game, Memphis State was considered an afterthought by the CBS crew, it seemed. The week of the Final Four, the Sports Illustrated cover had the title "Big East Feast". Guess which interloper was missing from the cover?

Memphis State continued on in 1986 entering the NCAA tournament in good position to make a run. Their 2nd round game was against LSU, in Baton Rouge no less (a rule that has since been fixed, no home court). Dale Brown, LSU's coach, famously ran around like a crazy person after the final buzzer went off and LSU had beaten Memphis State on a last second basket. All I remember is Memphis State center William Bedford taking the ball and shot putting it into the rafters. And with that, the Dana Kirk era ended at Memphis State. That summer, he was fired and Memphis State was put on probation due to violations. They also had to vacate their Final Four appearance. LSU went on to the Final Four that year as an 11 seed. I think they are still the highest seed to reach the Final Four.

But that's still not what sets this story apart. It's what happened after Bill Bedford threw the ball into the rafters. Guard Andre Turner was drafted and ended up played for nearly 2 decades in Europe. Center Bill Bedford had a middling NBA career that ended way too early due to cocaine abuse. He unfortunately spent many years in prison due to various drug related charges. The most recent bio about him mentions he is coaching basketball in Memphis, presumably in high school. Forward Vincent Askew had a decent NBA career. Baskerville Holmes died in a horrible murder-suicide. Coach Kirk never coached again. One of his assistants, Lee Fowler spent many years as the AD for NC State. Keith Lee, who had graduated a year earlier and was a first team All American and had so much promise as a pro, never really was able to cut it in the NBA. Moved back to Memphis and disappeared into obscurity for many, many years. Aaron Price was shot and killed in a carjacking gone wrong. Larry Finch, former Kirk assistant and later Head Coach (and Tiger basketball star that led Memphis State to their first NC game in 1973 against UCLA & Bill Walton) had a massive stroke in 2002 and was left basically debilitated. He died a few years ago.

I'm not sure where the story begins or when ends. I think it all revolves around Coach Finch though. From the 1973 team through his years as an assistant to Coach Kirk and then head coach until 1998. At his funeral in 2011, Andre Tuner, Elliot Perry and Anfernee Hardaway (all of whom had played for Coach Finch) eulogized him. It is an extremely moving piece of video.

Memphis State was a family. That's something that is lost now in big time college athletics. Those teams back then were virtually (and I mean like 9 guys out of 10) ALL from Memphis high schools. They knew each other since grade school and had played against each other, knew each others strengths and weaknesses. But also cared deeply for each other.

I failed to mention one other tragedy that befell a former Memphis State/Memphis player. One of my favorites, Lorenzen Wright (nickname Zen) played in the mid 1990s on some great Memphis Tiger teams. Was drafted and played in the NBA for a number of years. Died in a bizarre murder that has still not been solved, in 2010.

Why the ESPN 30 for 30 suggestion? Selfishness, I suppose. There seems to be so many of these films devoted to subjects we probably already know anyway. Most of them are done very well though and presented in a easy to digest way. Each one is very thoughtful about their subject. I would just like to see this story told and documented. I feel the players deserve that and the fans should have that sort of legitimacy that other subjects have been given.

Jackson Sun Story from 2015

USA Today Story from 2008

ESPN Outside the Lines Multi-part from 2001
10-11-2015 07:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smith Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
RE: ESPN 30 for 30 suggestion — Memphis Madness: The Rise and Fall of Memphis State
"While I have lived in Columbus, Ohio since 1999"

You should move
10-11-2015 07:12 PM
displacedTiger Offline
Water Engineer

RE: ESPN 30 for 30 suggestion — Memphis Madness: The Rise and Fall of Memphis State
(10-11-2015 07:12 PM)Smith Wrote:  "While I have lived in Columbus, Ohio since 1999"

You should move

Why? I'm very happy here. That's all you have to say though is "move"?

Sheesh.
10-11-2015 07:28 PM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Nope. Too negative and not true. JMO.
10-11-2015 07:36 PM
displacedTiger Offline
Water Engineer

(10-11-2015 07:36 PM)tigerlands Wrote:  Nope. Too negative and not true. JMO.

I appreciate the feedback. What did you find not true?
10-11-2015 07:52 PM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

Would it be smart to put something negative out about the athletic department when we are in the middle of trying to get to get in a better conference
10-11-2015 08:15 PM
Advertisement

80sTiger Offline
Why Am I Stuck on 'Water Engineer' ?

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Have they ever done a '30 for 30' on WWW ?
10-11-2015 10:08 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

Truth:
To say Keith Lee didn't cut it in the NBA is disingenuous. His knees were shot by the time he finished his college career. Choice of words reveals a lot about the intentions of the author.
10-11-2015 10:23 PM
uofmcamaro Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Consistency
I would love to see a 30 for 30 on Rick Ankiel
10-11-2015 10:29 PM
Smith Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
"His knees were shot by the time he finished his college career"

You think that is what it was? I could never figure why Keith didn't do better in the NBA. He was awesome his freshmen year. The best freshmen I ever saw.
10-11-2015 10:46 PM
MGR Offline
1st String

The 80's were such a special time. Folks that didn't experience it will never really understand.

It's a very good thing though that team was not around in the twitter era.
10-11-2015 11:24 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: ESPN 30 for 30 suggestion — Memphis Madness: The Rise and Fall of Memphis State
Just retitled it

Basketball.: what a worthless pain in the ass, how to destroy am athletic department and a university's image
10-12-2015 01:03 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Fall?

Bit dramatic- but we see what you did there.
10-12-2015 07:43 AM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
There is no rise and fall
10-12-2015 08:45 AM
displacedTiger Offline
Water Engineer

(10-11-2015 10:23 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  Truth:
To say Keith Lee didn't cut it in the NBA is disingenuous. His knees were shot by the time he finished his college career. Choice of words reveals a lot about the intentions of the author.

Believe me my intentions are on the upmost to pay tribute to a glorious era. Keith did not pan out in the NBA long term. Better? You are reading WAAAYYY too much about my "intentions". You dont' even know me.

(10-11-2015 11:24 PM)MGR Wrote:  The 80's were such a special time. Folks that didn't experience it will never really understand.

It's a very good thing though that team was not around in the twitter era.

Yes it was. I hold my memories of that era very dearly to my heart. I associate my childhood memories in many ways with MSU Tiger basketball. Nothing but good vibes and feelings on this end.

(10-12-2015 01:03 AM)shere khan Wrote:  Just retitled it

Basketball.: what a worthless pain in the ass

Thanks.

(10-12-2015 07:43 AM)Mimi Wrote:  Fall?

Bit dramatic- but we see what you did there.

"we see what you did there". Not sure I follow you. If we are harping solely on the title then goodness...I don't know what to say. It was taken directly from the Outside the Lines multipart link I posted.

---

Folks, I didn't post this to start a row. My idea was that after all of these years of ESPN 30 for 30's they have seemingly covered every topic imaginable. Some schools have been covered and some parts of their history have been documented, perhaps it doesn't make the school look like a shiny wonderland but where on earth is that place to start with?

The intent, I would hope, would be to tell a story arc that shows a through line of the Memphis State era that ended in about 1994. The closeness of these guys and the love of the school and Tiger Basketball that through all of the tribulations these guys persevered, while some of their brothers fell as casualties to the trappings of life. I think it's an uplifting story honestly.

Feel free to close the thread. Didn't mean to cause a disturbance. Carry on!
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 09:25 AM by displacedTiger.)
10-12-2015 09:23 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Actually- the DWash miss and its aftermath would make a good 30 at 30.

Could build up to it with the earlier 1950s history- Larry Finch, the 1980s, Penny, then the downturn, then the frustrating and disappointing half decade under Narcissist- then with that team having a chance at redemption, the free throws.

Then the aftermath of four very strong years which, in an effort to build on the prior decade, resulted in probation. Followed by the (and this is where they will all get really mad) last half decade of good, but certainly not great, success.
10-12-2015 10:37 AM
Advertisement

anothertigerfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: T.I.G.E.R.S
When did we fall?
10-12-2015 11:30 AM
MTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

(10-11-2015 07:28 PM)displacedTiger Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 07:12 PM)Smith Wrote:  "While I have lived in Columbus, Ohio since 1999"

You should move

Why? I'm very happy here. That's all you have to say though is "move"?

Sheesh.

Don't worry about him -- he has an identity crisis. I've probably visited Columbus 20-something times, and it's a very nice city with a great university that enjoys huge fan support.

About the suggestion, though, most people, myself included, who are lifelong Tiger fans would rather remember the good stuff that happened during the Kirk era. There was a lot of it, just like during the Bartow era. Why dwell on tragedy? It's been covered multiple times, and most of us would like to see it put to rest.

But to each his own. If you like the story and want to float it to a network, that's your choice. Tragedy has been selling well for at least the last 2500 years or so.
10-12-2015 04:48 PM
OneShiningMoment Away
MT.org's Smartass and Dumbass

I Root For: OnCampusStadium

Donators
30 for 30: The Day Calipari Stole the SnoCone Machine
10-12-2015 09:18 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(10-12-2015 11:30 AM)anothertigerfan Wrote:  When did we fall?

Slowly in the last six years
10-13-2015 01:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.