How much CUSA Football Coaches make
10-08-2015 04:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
RE: How much CUSA Football Coaches make
Bobby Wilder would get a huge bonus if he'd stop going for it on 4th downs.. 05-stirthepot
10-08-2015 08:19 PM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
So Larry Cockers raise bumped him up from lowest paid CUSA coach to.....lowest paid CUSA coach.
10-08-2015 08:39 PM
winston70 Offline
All American

I Root For: La Tech
Skip makes a lot less than Dykes did when he was at Tech.
10-08-2015 08:43 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(10-08-2015 08:39 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  So Larry Cockers raise bumped him up from lowest paid CUSA coach to.....lowest paid CUSA coach.

Heyzeus you guys are ruthless... Lol
10-08-2015 08:43 PM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

(10-08-2015 08:43 PM)winston70 Wrote:  Skip makes a lot less than Dykes did when he was at Tech.

But not less than Dykes' first contract. Plus Skip is getting another 500k/yr from south Florida. I'm sure his raise will come when that runs out. That's a nice max bonus though.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 08:51 PM by Saint Greg.)
10-08-2015 08:50 PM
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
In my opinion David Bailiff at Rice is overpaid compared to the rest of the league for his middling results built almost entirely on beating the very worst teams in college football. $800,000+ per for what we're getting does not look like a very good return after 9 seasons of the only Div I coach still with a losing record at the same school for that many years.
10-09-2015 08:54 AM
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
I was high on bailiff, but i was shocked, and said as much, about how over rated Rice was this season. Everyone was talking about them competing for the west division. And i cant even see a bowl game. 5-7 was my prediction
10-09-2015 09:42 AM
HellBlazer Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB!
(10-09-2015 08:54 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  In my opinion David Bailiff at Rice is overpaid compared to the rest of the league for his middling results built almost entirely on beating the very worst teams in college football. $800,000+ per for what we're getting does not look like a very good return after 9 seasons of the only Div I coach still with a losing record at the same school for that many years.

Rice has plenty of money
10-09-2015 10:18 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(10-09-2015 10:18 AM)HellBlazer Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 08:54 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  In my opinion David Bailiff at Rice is overpaid compared to the rest of the league for his middling results built almost entirely on beating the very worst teams in college football. $800,000+ per for what we're getting does not look like a very good return after 9 seasons of the only Div I coach still with a losing record at the same school for that many years.

Rice has plenty of money

But we have heretofore been mostly unwilling to invest it in sports to leverage our investment. To the extent this hurts our university's reputation, I disagree with this strategy.

(10-09-2015 09:42 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  I was high on bailiff, but i was shocked, and said as much, about how over rated Rice was this season. Everyone was talking about them competing for the west division. And i cant even see a bowl game. 5-7 was my prediction

If you take a peek at our board, there is a sizable and unfortunately, vocally stifling contingent who apparently still think Bailiff is the cat's meow, and regularly engage in shouting down the few who are willing to suggest the Emperor has no clothes after 9 seasons. That is the same myopia apparently afflicting some decision makers at Rice from going further all in on sports. While there have been baby steps taken (the new EZF facility, hiring of new AD Joe Karlgaard, and Mike Rhoades in basketball), there is such a long way to go, and baby steps appear to leave us slowly slipping further behind even the newer programs (we've been around over 100 years as a school.)

I am more hopeful of Men's Basketball season at this point and following the progress of the more-recently hired Mike Rhoades. I have tried to organize out-of market football watch parties in my area and out of more than 600+ alumns (I'm not in Texas) could only get 1 other to show up each week. That tells me the level of interest is at its nadir with what the current football head coach is doing. While I hope for a change, the current coach has an onerous contract which seems at the moment likely to keep him here much longer than a decade. The thought of more of the same is currently distasteful to me, but that may be the reality.

We'll have to see how we do this weekend in our "huge game" (not my characterization) against FAU at their place. Perhaps we can right the ship enough to make some noise this season. However, if I were Southern Miss and LA Tech, I'd be licking my chops at the prospect of playing Rice in football this season. Overrated is putting things mildly for us, in my opinion, but thank you for being so charitable.
10-09-2015 10:51 AM
pilot172000 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tech/ Bama
I like Bailiff. It think he has made Rice legitimate year in and year out. This season is a bit of a downer and he hasn't fared well out of conference but for the most part no other coach has matched his success. He accounts for a third of the bowl games in Rice's History. Only Jess Neely is better.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2015 11:34 AM by pilot172000.)
10-09-2015 11:32 AM
Advertisement

westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(10-09-2015 11:32 AM)pilot172000 Wrote:  I like Bailiff. It think he has made Rice legitimate year in and year out. This season is a bit of a downer and he hasn't fared well out of conference but for the most part no other coach has matched his success. He accounts for a third of the bowl games in Rice's History. Only Jess Neely is better.

Bowl games today mean nothing compared to the bowl games of the Jess Neely era. They are participation trophies at this point.
10-09-2015 11:38 AM
RougeDawg Offline
Special Teams

(10-08-2015 08:39 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  So Larry Cockers raise bumped him up from lowest paid CUSA coach to.....lowest paid CUSA coach.

He eats for free at KFC though.
10-09-2015 04:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice

GoodOwl and I disagree a little. I look at the 2nd link and see that Bailiff is 79th best paid coach in FBS (more likely 86th, since I think USC, BYU, Wake, Vandy, Tulsa, Pitt, and SMU all pay their coaches more). Rice's final ranking in Massey/Sagarin have been around that spot (or better) since 2011: 2011(92/89), 2012 (79/83), 2013 (57/69), and 2014 (69/69). So to me, Rice is getting almost exactly what it pays for, arguably slightly more than it pays for.

Things look roughly the same when you compare Bailiff to the rest of CUSA. He's gone 13-4 against CUSA since the start of 2013 (including the 2013 CUSA championship game), or 17-8 if you want to go back to the start of 2012. However, if you look at the quality of the wins/losses, things look less rosy. In 3 of the 4 losses since 2013, Rice was destroyed and Bailiff has a number of narrow wins against not-great CUSA teams. Marshall is 15-3 and LaTech 9-8 since the start of 2013, for reference.

I think there is a very strong argument that Rice needs to get more bang-for-the buck than it does with Bailiff. I also agree with anyone who would say that our new AD would probably do a great job choosing a new coach. However, I think GoodOwl's characterization of Bailiff is incorrect. I don't see any support for the argument that, within CUSA, Coach Bailiff and Rice have achieved "middling results." He's basically earning close to what his results the last 3-4 years suggest he should be earning. He's not great, but he's not terrible (because as GoodOwl noted, he typically beats the terrible teams).

(10-09-2015 10:51 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 09:42 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  I was high on bailiff, but i was shocked, and said as much, about how over rated Rice was this season. Everyone was talking about them competing for the west division. And i cant even see a bowl game. 5-7 was my prediction

If you take a peek at our board, there is a sizable and unfortunately, vocally stifling contingent who apparently still think Bailiff is the cat's meow, and regularly engage in shouting down the few who are willing to suggest the Emperor has no clothes after 9 seasons. That is the same myopia apparently afflicting some decision makers at Rice from going further all in on sports.

I completely disagree with GoodOwl's characterization on this as well. GoodOwl and a few other posters are so virulently anti-Bailiff, that they can't see him for what he is ... a perfectly average football coach. He turns below-average resources (relative to the rest of FBS) into averagish results. There are a few folks on our board who are strongly pro-Bailiff who think Bailiff is "the cat's meow." There are a few others like GoodOwl that think he's basically the worst football coach in FBS (though a decent human being). There is a vocal group like myself who think the anti-Bailiff folks are wrong, because basically all empirical evidence shows that Bailiff is an average coach, but also think the pro-Bailiff folks are wrong, because again, basically all empirical evidence shows that he's pretty average. And there is a huge majority of posters that mostly stay out of the fray (who probably exist between the extremes).
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2015 04:39 PM by mrbig.)
10-09-2015 04:37 PM
goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
FAU's Charlie Partridge has the lowest potential yearly income of any coach in the league... And, for now, we're getting the bang that we deserve.
10-09-2015 05:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WEARE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall, TOSU
Is that North Texas salary bonus in the MTSU article a typo? If not, their coach should be willing to do anything to win. His bonus is larger than his salary. He could make close to two-million!
10-09-2015 11:07 PM
Advertisement

HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

I Root For: Southern Miss
I'm most surprised by Wilder's base pay. I really thought the ODU salary would be higher considering their overall athletic budget.
10-10-2015 11:37 AM
Noodles Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Monken is worth about $27.00.
10-10-2015 11:38 AM
SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
(10-09-2015 04:07 PM)RougeDawg Wrote:  

IMO LC deserves more money but what we really need is a new basketball area.
10-10-2015 11:40 AM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

(10-10-2015 11:40 AM)SApuro Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 04:07 PM)RougeDawg Wrote:  

IMO LC deserves more money but what we really need is a new basketball area.

Agreed. Are you building one? I hadn't heard about it.
10-10-2015 11:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.