Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why is New Mexico State playing Ole Miss -- or anyone else?
Bookmark and Share
Eagleditka Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS Eagles
Why is New Mexico State playing Ole Miss -- or anyone else?
http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...iss-rebels

Quote:Few teams in the history of sports have lost more, for longer, than New Mexico State football. The rest of this paragraph is rated PG-13 for disturbing images. The Aggies haven't been to a bowl game since 1960. They haven't won eight games in a season since 1965. Over the past 40 years, they have four winning seasons; in that same span, they have 16 seasons in which they won two or fewer games. They have arrived in Gainesville on a 10-game losing streak. Which is not as bad as their 18-game losing streak in 2012 and 2013. Which was not as bad as their 27-game losing streak from 1988 to 1990. They are currently in the Sun Belt and have changed conferences three times since 2000, with one year as an independent.
10-07-2015 10:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
RE: Why is New Mexico State playing Ole Miss -- or anyone else?
Not a bad article. Tells our situation like it is.
10-07-2015 11:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
(10-07-2015 11:04 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  Not a bad article. Tells our situation like it is.

The facts may be true but why write an article like this?
Idaho gets this same treatment random stories for no reason except a slow news week.
Idaho has had decent years when our conference situation was stable
My guess is NMSU would be similar .
How many teams won their money games not many.
Idaho and NMSU seem to have a target on them after the independent year.
I don't know an exact figure but Idaho has invested forty five million in facilities.
My guess is NMSU has done the same.
Both have long histories of being in the top level for football.

Somehow we don't get much sympathy and a bunch of negative stories.
Contrast that to the UAB situation where everyone is pulling for them.
I am also pulling for UAB to turn it around and make Alabama look stupid.
UAB just started a program because they had an available stadium.
No real investment no FOH or nice practice fields or stadium upgrades.
I am sure USA and GSU have nice weight rooms and practice fields.
They also have better stadiums to rent so less of a need for investment.
Both are brand new and are looking into getting their own stadiums.

NMSU and Idaho could have winning years next year and still be without a conference home.
The MWC doesn't need NMSU because they have UNM C-USA because of UTEP.
The area and the state are too small for two teams in one conference.
Same problem for Idaho and the MWC came down to USU/SJSU or Idaho.
Even if the dome wasn't found to be a fire hazard and twenty seven million spent on it.
That twenty seven million could have been used to remove the roof and expand to an even number of seats as USU.
Utah is still a bigger state that the MWC wanted into.
SJSU had the lowest attendance in FBS the year before joining the MWC.
They are in a huge market in the biggest state.

I know Idaho's situation better than NMSU so I included it.
Somehow it is ok to try to push NMSU and Idaho out of FBS.
I don't really get it and kind of look at NMSU as family because of it.
Give us their stadium and them our bowl wins nothing changes.
Both programs have done a lot more to be FBS than some FBS programs.
10-08-2015 07:24 AM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(10-08-2015 07:24 AM)MJG Wrote:  
(10-07-2015 11:04 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  Not a bad article. Tells our situation like it is.

The facts may be true but why write an article like this?
Idaho gets this same treatment random stories for no reason except a slow news week.
Idaho has had decent years when our conference situation was stable
My guess is NMSU would be similar .
How many teams won their money games not many.
Idaho and NMSU seem to have a target on them after the independent year.
I don't know an exact figure but Idaho has invested forty five million in facilities.
My guess is NMSU has done the same.
Both have long histories of being in the top level for football.

Somehow we don't get much sympathy and a bunch of negative stories.
Contrast that to the UAB situation where everyone is pulling for them.
I am also pulling for UAB to turn it around and make Alabama look stupid.
UAB just started a program because they had an available stadium.
No real investment no FOH or nice practice fields or stadium upgrades.
I am sure USA and GSU have nice weight rooms and practice fields.
They also have better stadiums to rent so less of a need for investment.
Both are brand new and are looking into getting their own stadiums.

NMSU and Idaho could have winning years next year and still be without a conference home.
The MWC doesn't need NMSU because they have UNM C-USA because of UTEP.
The area and the state are too small for two teams in one conference.
Same problem for Idaho and the MWC came down to USU/SJSU or Idaho.
Even if the dome wasn't found to be a fire hazard and twenty seven million spent on it.
That twenty seven million could have been used to remove the roof and expand to an even number of seats as USU.
Utah is still a bigger state that the MWC wanted into.
SJSU had the lowest attendance in FBS the year before joining the MWC.
They are in a huge market in the biggest state.

I know Idaho's situation better than NMSU so I included it.
Somehow it is ok to try to push NMSU and Idaho out of FBS.
I don't really get it and kind of look at NMSU as family because of it.
Give us their stadium and them our bowl wins nothing changes.
Both programs have done a lot more to be FBS than some FBS programs.

they have not been successful at football but they are a state flagship school and feel the need to field a team as a necessity. they are not in a populous state with a large class of rabid sports fans with money and motivation to support them so they struggle.
10-08-2015 07:44 AM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(10-08-2015 07:44 AM)runamuck Wrote:  they have not been successful at football but they are a state flagship school and feel the need to field a team as a necessity. they are not in a populous state with a large class of rabid sports fans with money and motivation to support them so they struggle.

In my opinion, if those were the only reasons for their poor performance then Boise State wouldn't do as well as they do year after year. Something else is at work there, don't know what. As for the issue of fans with money, they come out of the woodwork when a team wins consistently.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 08:26 AM by CajunFanatico.)
10-08-2015 08:26 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
They were 7-5 in 2002 but since the Sunbelt at the time only had a bowl for the conference champ, they didn't get to go to a bowl game. They finished 2nd in the conference with a 5-1 record.
Sad they didn't get an invite to another bowl.
10-08-2015 10:22 AM
Advertisement

OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
With that kind of history their attendance is amazing.
10-08-2015 10:25 AM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
Having to recruit so heavily out of state is probably the biggest hurdle in being a winning college football. Give Wyoming all the money in the world if you have to search the entire country for players you are always going to be ten steps behind similar team in Ohio, Cali, Florida, Georgia or TX 99 times out of 100.
10-08-2015 10:59 AM
DoubleAggie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(10-08-2015 10:59 AM)JCGSU Wrote:  Having to recruit so heavily out of state is probably the biggest hurdle in being a winning college football. Give Wyoming all the money in the world if you have to search the entire country for players you are always going to be ten steps behind similar team in Ohio, Cali, Florida, Georgia or TX 99 times out of 100.

Yes, I didn't realize what the article cites: only 4 total FBS football recruits from New Mexico.

It's kinda strange, because Las Cruces has, until just recently, dominated the state high school football championships.

But obviously, NMSU has to recruit outside the state.

Gives me some hope going forward though, reflecting that in
Martin's 1st year: 62 scholarship players
Martin's 2nd year: still around 60 scholarship players
This year: 85 scholarship players, though 70 are Freshmen or Sophomores and many are redshirting.

So, we were playing with FCS comparable depth.

It takes time to rebuild, especially given the hole we were in, but if you're going to rebuild you try to develop.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 11:46 AM by DoubleAggie.)
10-08-2015 11:30 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
Montana has a good portion of their players come out of Missoula. No one knows how they would compete at the FBS level because they don't play those money games, however, if the transitive property in football were at play here we could assume they would be middle of the road.

How different is New Mexico and Montana?
10-08-2015 11:58 AM
rbostic218 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GaSouthern
But with FBS caliber players I hope.
10-08-2015 12:00 PM
Advertisement

DoubletapWolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Red Wolves and SBC
The Aggies were competitive in SBC Football last time they were in the conference . . the games between stAte and NMSU were fun to watch. Granted SBC Football has changed for the better since those early days, but I think NMSU can and will be competitive once again in SBC Football.

Football is only one sport of many that each of our schools offer . . my school is generally pretty good in Football but we suck in BB. NMSU is generally pretty good in BB and they currently suck in Football.

Stop ragging on NMSU Football unless you want them ragging on your lousy BB team in the very near future . . . 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao
10-08-2015 12:04 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

(10-08-2015 11:58 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  Montana has a good portion of their players come out of Missoula. No one knows how they would compete at the FBS level because they don't play those money games, however, if the transitive property in football were at play here we could assume they would be middle of the road.

How different is New Mexico and Montana?

Idaho is 55-27 vs Montana both were in the PCAA and Big Sky together.
They have won thirteen of their conference championships after Idaho,Nevada and Boise left the Big Sky.
I would think NMSU would have an advantage being close to Texas.
Montana does have a strong athletic program though just at a different level.
Seems like they have the right AD coach and president I'm not sure .
When you get all three pulling in the right direction magic can happen.
Having a period of success takes all three and changes a program going forward.
10-08-2015 12:30 PM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
The culture around Montana demands success. Some other universities i've visited just think of their teams as lovable losers and change will likely happen in spite of themselves.
10-08-2015 12:36 PM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
(10-08-2015 12:04 PM)DoubletapWolf Wrote:  The Aggies were competitive in SBC Football last time they were in the conference . . the games between stAte and NMSU were fun to watch. Granted SBC Football has changed for the better since those early days, but I think NMSU can and will be competitive once again in SBC Football.

Football is only one sport of many that each of our schools offer . . my school is generally pretty good in Football but we suck in BB. NMSU is generally pretty good in BB and they currently suck in Football.

Stop ragging on NMSU Football unless you want them ragging on your lousy BB team in the very near future . . . 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao

Good post. 04-cheers
10-08-2015 01:34 PM
NuMexAg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU
Several thoughts on above posts.

- I think if NMSU could win, the fan base and financial support would dramatically increase. As someone said - its amazing our support has been this good - given our history. But... chicken and egg thing. We won't win until we get more support - and we won't get the support until we can win.

- The situation in Boise is NOTHING like Las Cruces. It might be comparable to Albuquerque, but Boise State has far more corporate and population resources to tap than NMSU.

- Montana would struggle in FBS in my opinion (not struggle like NMSU maybe, but still have a tough time winning). My reasoning is recruiting. In FBS you are going head to head against all the major schools, and you (Montana) have very few FBS level recruits in your local market. No longer can you attract the FBS caliber players who are trapped on the second string of a major FB school, and just want to play or who have difficulty qualifying for a particular FBS school. The money games will not offset the damage to the team's psyque or health from getting hammered by a more physical team.

- Losing begats losing. Winning begats winning. Very hard to overcome the losing once it gets ingrained. And the changes to college football ($$) in the past few years have made changing even harder.

- NMSU has not done itself any favors over the decades. Some administrations have provided very lukearm support to football. That uncertaintly - and near constant up and down has to have hurt NMSU's football fortunes.

- 4 FBS recruits in the entire state. That says A LOT.
10-08-2015 02:01 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(10-08-2015 02:01 PM)NuMexAg Wrote:  Several thoughts on above posts.

- I think if NMSU could win, the fan base and financial support would dramatically increase. As someone said - its amazing our support has been this good - given our history. But... chicken and egg thing. We won't win until we get more support - and we won't get the support until we can win.

- The situation in Boise is NOTHING like Las Cruces. It might be comparable to Albuquerque, but Boise State has far more corporate and population resources to tap than NMSU.

- Montana would struggle in FBS in my opinion (not struggle like NMSU maybe, but still have a tough time winning). My reasoning is recruiting. In FBS you are going head to head against all the major schools, and you (Montana) have very few FBS level recruits in your local market. No longer can you attract the FBS caliber players who are trapped on the second string of a major FB school, and just want to play or who have difficulty qualifying for a particular FBS school. The money games will not offset the damage to the team's psyque or health from getting hammered by a more physical team.

- Losing begats losing. Winning begats winning. Very hard to overcome the losing once it gets ingrained. And the changes to college football ($$) in the past few years have made changing even harder.

- NMSU has not done itself any favors over the decades. Some administrations have provided very lukearm support to football. That uncertaintly - and near constant up and down has to have hurt NMSU's football fortunes.

- 4 FBS recruits in the entire state. That says A LOT.

At least you AD Moccia seems to be getting his hand dirty and getting that support from the community. Being able to fly into Las Cruces now is a big deal for NMSU and Las Cruces. I know the airport still needs some upgrades, but this is a good start.
Add the skybox is another good step the AD is completing and if he can get the master plan executed (which look really sweet by the way), the Aggies will have the ship righted and looking at a brighter future either in the current Sunbelt, CUSA or perhaps even the MW.
10-08-2015 02:30 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(10-07-2015 10:22 PM)Eagleditka Wrote:  http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...iss-rebels

Quote:Few teams in the history of sports have lost more, for longer, than New Mexico State football. The rest of this paragraph is rated PG-13 for disturbing images. The Aggies haven't been to a bowl game since 1960. They haven't won eight games in a season since 1965. Over the past 40 years, they have four winning seasons; in that same span, they have 16 seasons in which they won two or fewer games. They have arrived in Gainesville on a 10-game losing streak. Which is not as bad as their 18-game losing streak in 2012 and 2013. Which was not as bad as their 27-game losing streak from 1988 to 1990. They are currently in the Sun Belt and have changed conferences three times since 2000, with one year as an independent.

College football, ya gotta love it. Hang in there, Aggies. Shake the streak!
10-08-2015 06:55 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

(10-08-2015 12:36 PM)GaSouthern Wrote:  The culture around Montana demands success. Some other universities i've visited just think of their teams as lovable losers and change will likely happen in spite of themselves.

They sucked for a long time.
Had a run of success and capitalized on it.
10-09-2015 02:53 AM
MJG Offline
1st String

It was 1970 for Louisiana's last bowl game before their current streak and coach was hired.
They have more FCS losses than any program.

Contrast that with today looking strong overall with great facilities.
It takes the right coach and you have to aggressively capitalize on it.
10-09-2015 03:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.