WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Slappies are slappy
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
Slappies are slappy
One pointing out that they will win out and be nationally ranked.

Several predicting lopsided win.

Many saying our defense is terrible, and Pooper will have a field day.

Several view Franklin as "okay, or serviceable"

Let's examine- Ok St. QB Mason Rudolf making his first start passed for 266 and completed 80% of his passes. But even in that game OSU was clearly not trying to get it done through the air, they were just breaking the kid in gently. Against Syracuse they faced a true freshmen QB and a walk on freshmen QB. And in the end they couldn't stop either of them. Now Connor Cook didn't light them up, but he hasn't lit anyone up other than Oregon. Why? Because they want to establish a run game first.

Point being is this a great CMU defense? I contend that it isn't. Syracuse QBs, awful. OKSt QB his first start ever. Connor Cook was never the focus of the MSU game plan, they wanted to establish the run. Drew Hare, just plain sucks in the passing game.

CMU has entered every game with the same mind set that they did last year, and that was to stop the run. They run a typical 4-3 with their linebackers crowding the line. It works great on stopping the run, but leaves a nice hole for crossing routes, which Davis and Braverman exploited for big numbers last year.

As for our defense being terrible. It's pretty much on par with the defense that beat Davis &Co. last year. Same two deep DEs that were in Rushs face last year. Better linebackers, and I can safely say there has been little change in the caliber of the DBs. Do we miss Ash at DT? Do they miss Walton?

For all intents we are the same team that beat them in Mt. Pleasant last year, and you'll never convince me that losing Walton, Chirroci, Davis, Rawls, and Phillips is an upgrade simply because there's a new coach. You'll never convince me that an Oline that can't establish any sort of a run game is "new and improved." You'll never convince me that a 4th string RB with no explosion is going to be a factor.

My biggest fear with them is their red zone D. It was the one thing that kept them in games against OSU and Cuse, and it took 10 points off the board for NIU, and changed momentum. Stuff us inside the redzone and make FGs a priority..........I don't like our chances. I think we'll be in the redzone a lot, but we have to come out with 7.

In spite of the perceived amazing NIU win I think the final standing will mirror the preseason prediction. Rush will have a few amazing passing games, but QB stats don't always mean Ws. They often mask an unbalanced offense, that over the course of a season teams learn to defend.
10-05-2015 01:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goldsworth Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
RE: Slappies are slappy
(10-05-2015 01:48 AM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  One pointing out that they will win out and be nationally ranked.

Let's examine- Ok St. QB Mason Rudolf making his first start passed for 266 and completed 80% of his passes. But even in that game OSU was clearly not trying to get it done through the air, they were just breaking the kid in gently. Against Syracuse they faced a true freshmen QB and a walk on freshmen QB. And in the end they couldn't stop either of them. Now Connor Cook didn't light them up, but he hasn't lit anyone up other than Oregon. Why? Because they want to establish a run game first.

Point being is this a great CMU defense? I contend that it isn't. Syracuse QBs, awful. OKSt QB his first start ever. Connor Cook was never the focus of the MSU game plan, they wanted to establish the run. Drew Hare, just plain sucks in the passing game.

CMU has entered every game with the same mind set that they did last year, and that was to stop the run. They run a typical 4-3 with their linebackers crowding the line. It works great on stopping the run, but leaves a nice hole for crossing routes, which Davis and Braverman exploited for big numbers last year.

As for our defense being terrible. It's pretty much on par with the defense that beat Davis &Co. last year. Same two deep DEs that were in Rushs face last year. Better linebackers, and I can safely say there has been little change in the caliber of the DBs. Do we miss Ash at DT? Do they miss Walton?

For all intents we are the same team that beat them in Mt. Pleasant last year, and you'll never convince me that losing Walton, Chirroci, Davis, Rawls, and Phillips is an upgrade simply because there's a new coach. You'll never convince me that an Oline that can't establish any sort of a run game is "new and improved." You'll never convince me that a 4th string RB with no explosion is going to be a factor.

My biggest fear with them is their red zone D. It was the one thing that kept them in games against OSU and Cuse, and it took 10 points off the board for NIU, and changed momentum. Stuff us inside the redzone and make FGs a priority..........I don't like our chances. I think we'll be in the redzone a lot, but we have to come out with 7.

In spite of the perceived amazing NIU win I think the final standing will mirror the preseason prediction. Rush will have a few amazing passing games, but QB stats don't always mean Ws. They often mask an unbalanced offense, that over the course of a season teams learn to defend.
Bono as coach brings his perspective as a former cmu player and knowledge of this rivalry and that should help his chimps get all emotional and dare I say fired up. I still like WMU in this game but I agree if it comes down to a battle between kicking games all bets are off.
10-05-2015 05:48 AM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(10-05-2015 05:48 AM)goldsworth Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 01:48 AM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  One pointing out that they will win out and be nationally ranked.

Bono as coach brings his perspective as a former cmu player and knowledge of this rivalry and that should help his chimps get all emotional and dare I say fired up. I still like WMU in this game but I agree if it comes down to a battle between kicking games all bets are off.

Bono brings a clear upgrade to CMU in coaching and also understands the importance of this rivalry game, unlike Enos. Frankly, it is hard to cheer against Bono given his genuine love the the Mid-American Conference (he is not a Big Ten slappy) and what he has endured health-wise. I have a lot of respect for the man.

But that won't mean much, Saturday after the first possession or two when superior talent and superior systems gradually take over.

Enos left a squalid mess in Mount Pleasant (on and off the field) and it will take Bono a while to repair.
10-05-2015 07:58 AM
uclabruin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Against USC
A while to repair? They just beat Northern Illinois... and have looked very tough and consistent in all games. I do not see this spread of "superior talent and systems" you speak of, at least on the Monday of Saturday's game.
10-05-2015 09:50 AM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-05-2015 09:50 AM)uclabruin Wrote:  A while to repair? They just beat Northern Illinois... and have looked very tough and consistent in all games. I do not see this spread of "superior talent and systems" you speak of, at least on the Monday of Saturday's game.

I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning discussing with Chris Carter what is going wrong in Texas... and they made a point about how Harbaugh has somehow coached up the talent left behind and is having success while Strong in Texas is having trouble with the talent...

It got me thinking about what Enos left behind for Coach Bono at CMU... and honestly I think Bono is doing a terrific job of coaching these kids up... I hate to say it... but he's coaching up a team with lesser talent to do the same things in year one... that Fleck has done so far in two+ years with better talent... It will be interesting to see how things shake out this game Saturday... I for one hope that our week off got us healed up and ready to pound the chips into the ground... A nice blowout home victory would go a LONG ways to keeping the angry villagers at bay...
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 10:19 AM by flushtheherd.)
10-05-2015 10:06 AM
eich41 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CMU

CMU ran a 4-2-5 under Enos. This is the first year we've ran a 4-3 in some time. I think this will be a close game (I predicted 27-24 CMU on our site) with the edge going to the team who has a coach who truly knows this rivalry and what it means.

As for your comments regarding this team not being better just because of a new coach, that simply leads me to believe you haven't watched any of our games yet. We did lose a lot from last year, but I think you fail to account for how terrible of a coach Dan Enos was. CMU has had a legitimate shot at winning every game they've played in the fourth quarter. Obviously three of those games didn't work out, but if you don't think this team is better than ANY team under Enos you're either uninformed or insane. Should be a good one Saturday!
10-05-2015 10:11 AM
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

This whole notion of Enos and Fleck "not understanding the rivalry" like Bonamengo does... is kind of overrated IMO.

Fleck isn't a stranger to the rivalry. He played and coached in the MAC (West) for 7 years. He's been in the midst of the rivalry now for 3 years, and dedicated a trophy room in our facility to it. I think it's safe to assume that he understands the magnitude of it now.

As for Enos, he was born in this state and coached at Western for 3 seasons. He was quite familiar with the rivalry even before he took the HC position at CMU.

Bonamengo is the only person who can claim he "played" in the rivalry, but that's about it. That's not to take anything away from him because that's obviously pretty significant.

But at the end of the day, it comes down to the players on the field. We fought them pretty hard (during a terrible season) two years ago, and went into their house and spanked them last year. I like our chances again this year.
10-05-2015 10:22 AM
GullLake Offline

(10-05-2015 09:50 AM)uclabruin Wrote:  A while to repair? They just beat Northern Illinois... and have looked very tough and consistent in all games. I do not see this spread of "superior talent and systems" you speak of, at least on the Monday of Saturday's game.

WMU has superior QB, RBs, receivers, kick return teams, and defensive secondary. It also does not run a 20th Century offense in the 21st Century and our offensive coordinator isn't checking the MSU score during the game like Mo Watts is.

NIU lost that game on Saturday with unforced turnovers, CMU did not win it (see the WMU-CMU game from 2013 in Kalamazoo).

And CMU will not win this Saturday because WMU is a superior team, program and overall institution.
10-05-2015 10:25 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(10-05-2015 10:11 AM)eich41 Wrote:  

CMU ran a 4-2-5 under Enos. This is the first year we've ran a 4-3 in some time. I think this will be a close game (I predicted 27-24 CMU on our site) with the edge going to the team who has a coach who truly knows this rivalry and what it means.

As for your comments regarding this team not being better just because of a new coach, that simply leads me to believe you haven't watched any of our games yet. We did lose a lot from last year, but I think you fail to account for how terrible of a coach Dan Enos was. CMU has had a legitimate shot at winning every game they've played in the fourth quarter. Obviously three of those games didn't work out, but if you don't think this team is better than ANY team under Enos you're either uninformed or insane. Should be a good one Saturday!

Actually I've watched all of your games.

You can't count on goal line stands every week. You can't count on winning with absolutely no running game. Moral victories in ooc translate to nothing. That formula will not carry you for a season. If you remember you were feeling invincible last year coming off the Purdue and NIU wins. But then you lost your run game and teams exploited that.

Make Terrell, Davis and Franklin look pedestrian and you win. I don't think you have the horses to do that.
10-05-2015 10:33 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(10-05-2015 10:33 AM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  Moral victories in ooc translate to nothing. That formula will not carry you for a season.

re: @ MSU '13
10-05-2015 10:36 AM
eich41 Offline
Special Teams

(10-05-2015 10:33 AM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 10:11 AM)eich41 Wrote:  

Actually I've watched all of your games.

You can't count on goal line stands every week. You can't count on winning with absolutely no running game. Moral victories in ooc translate to nothing. That formula will not carry you for a season. If you remember you were feeling invincible last year coming off the Purdue and NIU wins. But then you lost your run game and teams exploited that.

Make Terrell, Davis and Franklin look pedestrian and you win. I don't think you have the horses to do that.

I never felt invincible at any point under Enos. OOC moral victories mean nothing, I agree. However, watching any game (W or L) will give you a gauge of how good a team is. This team is light years better than any team under Enos despite Enos having more talent on some of those rosters. I like our DL, which is IMO the best in the MAC when healthy. I also like our secondary. It should be an interesting game on Saturday. As someone said elsewhere, rivalries are more fun when both teams are good.
10-05-2015 10:48 AM
Advertisement

george14 Offline
1st String

(10-05-2015 10:25 AM)GullLake Wrote:  

WMU has superior QB, RBs, receivers, kick return teams, and defensive secondary. It also does not run a 20th Century offense in the 21st Century and our offensive coordinator isn't checking the MSU score during the game like Mo Watts is.

NIU lost that game on Saturday with unforced turnovers, CMU did not win it (see the WMU-CMU game from 2013 in Kalamazoo).

And CMU will not win this Saturday because WMU is a superior team, program and overall institution.

Superior QB? I really don't know about that. Against FBS opponents this year he has as many TD and he does INT. And yes we have also played a very tough schedule. And really with the "NIU lost". Both teams played in the same weather and CMU won rather handily.

Don't take credit away. We just beat the returning MAC champs and all you can say is "NIU lost it". Right on.
10-05-2015 10:48 AM
eich41 Offline
Special Teams

(10-05-2015 10:22 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  This whole notion of Enos and Fleck "not understanding the rivalry" like Bonamengo does... is kind of overrated IMO.

Fleck isn't a stranger to the rivalry. He played and coached in the MAC (West) for 7 years. He's been in the midst of the rivalry now for 3 years, and dedicated a trophy room in our facility to it. I think it's safe to assume that he understands the magnitude of it now.

As for Enos, he was born in this state and coached at Western for 3 seasons. He was quite familiar with the rivalry even before he took the HC position at CMU.

Bonamengo is the only person who can claim he "played" in the rivalry, but that's about it. That's not to take anything away from him because that's obviously pretty significant.

But at the end of the day, it comes down to the players on the field. We fought them pretty hard (during a terrible season) two years ago, and went into their house and spanked them last year. I like our chances again this year.

Knowing about a rivalry and being a part of it are two different things. An outsider like Fleck and especially Enos may have known that WMU and CMU are rivals. And I'm sure they know that it's a big game on their schedule as a coach, but it's not the same as being a part of it IMO.

Upon graduating from CMU, Bonamego applied to every single D-I school to coach except for 2, EMU and WMU.
10-05-2015 10:51 AM
broncofan1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Broncos
(10-05-2015 10:25 AM)GullLake Wrote:  NIU lost that game on Saturday with unforced turnovers, CMU did not win it (see the WMU-CMU game from 2013 in Kalamazoo).

I don't believe in "unforced turnovers". They all count.

We should have a better team. We have - without question - a better institution.

Go Broncos!
10-05-2015 10:51 AM
GullLake Offline

(10-05-2015 10:48 AM)george14 Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 10:25 AM)GullLake Wrote:  

Superior QB? I really don't know about that. Against FBS opponents this year he has as many TD and he does INT. And yes we have also played a very tough schedule. And really with the "NIU lost". Both teams played in the same weather and CMU won rather handily.

Don't take credit away. We just beat the returning MAC champs and all you can say is "NIU lost it". Right on.

Georgie -

You've had five years of Dan Enos led football in Mount Pleasant. You've had enough players arrested and jailed in that time to start on either side of the ball.

You run the f-ing "Pro-set" offense.

Your offensive coordinator is almost 80.

Alumni and community support for your program is almost non-existent (thank you Mr. Enos and Mr. Heeke).

You are playing a team that returns almost EVERYBODY from a squad that easily beat you by two scores last year, in your half-empty stadium, when you actually had play makers on your roster.

Bono is taking your program the right direction, but will be over-his-head against a superior WMU program the next few years.

Get ready for a Brown-Town-Beat-Down.

Oh, and be sure to spend lots of your $ on our campus and in our community! 04-cheers
10-05-2015 10:59 AM
GullLake Offline

(10-05-2015 10:51 AM)eich41 Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 10:22 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  This whole notion of Enos and Fleck "not understanding the rivalry" like Bonamengo does... is kind of overrated IMO.

Knowing about a rivalry and being a part of it are two different things. An outsider like Fleck and especially Enos may have known that WMU and CMU are rivals. And I'm sure they know that it's a big game on their schedule as a coach, but it's not the same as being a part of it IMO.

Upon graduating from CMU, Bonamego applied to every single D-I school to coach except for 2, EMU and WMU.

Fleck is a MAC graduate. He understands the conference and its rivalries.

Last year's game in half-empty Kelly-Shorts (Enos and Heeke have run-off your alumni and community support) is proof of that.

Bono, however, is a significant step-up from Enos. I genuinely like and respect him and look forward to CMU eventually becoming a program that its alumni don't have to be ashamed of.
10-05-2015 11:03 AM
Advertisement

eich41 Offline
Special Teams

(10-05-2015 11:03 AM)GullLake Wrote:  

Last year's game in half-empty Kelly-Shorts (Enos and Heeke have run-off your alumni and community support) is proof of that.

Bono, however, is a significant step-up from Enos. I genuinely like and respect him and look forward to CMU eventually becoming a program that its alumni don't have to be ashamed of.

When was the last time Waldo was full without half the stadium wearing Green and White?

As for the rivalry thing... I know about the Akron/Kent rivalry, I know about the Toledo/BG rivalry, and all the others but I don't know any of those rivalries like I do the CMU/WMU rivalry. Do you really think an NIU/Toledo/BSU/etc. grad knows this rivalry better than you do? Knowing it and experiencing/being a part of it are two different things.
10-05-2015 11:10 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(10-05-2015 11:10 AM)eich41 Wrote:  When was the last time Waldo was full without half the stadium wearing Green and White?

Our next home game against FCS Murray State, we had 20,000+ in attendance. You didn't even get that against your home opener against a P5 opponent.

I could ask the same question in reverse to cMU?

Pretty sure we crush you in attendance numbers, and have been for a while.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 11:17 AM by Hoekjeness.)
10-05-2015 11:15 AM
eich41 Offline
Special Teams

(10-05-2015 11:15 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 11:10 AM)eich41 Wrote:  When was the last time Waldo was full without half the stadium wearing Green and White?

Our next home game against FCS Murray State, we had 20,000+ in attendance. You didn't even get that against your home opener against a P5 opponent.

I could ask the same question in reverse to cMU?

Pretty sure we crush you in attendance numbers, and have been for a while.

I didn't realize Waldo only held 20k! My point is that neither of us are coming close to selling out the stadium. I also think you have a very liberal definition of "crushing". Again, I don't think either of us have anything to brag about regarding attendance, which was why I pointed out that Gull Lake may not want to throw stones from his glass house.

I don't have the time or desire to look up the attendance numbers for the two schools in the past few years, but I imagine if you did, neither is outdrawing the other by more than a couple thousand.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 11:21 AM by eich41.)
10-05-2015 11:19 AM
GullLake Offline

(10-05-2015 11:10 AM)eich41 Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 11:03 AM)GullLake Wrote:  

When was the last time Waldo was full without half the stadium wearing Green and White?

As for the rivalry thing... I know about the Akron/Kent rivalry, I know about the Toledo/BG rivalry, and all the others but I don't know any of those rivalries like I do the CMU/WMU rivalry. Do you really think an NIU/Toledo/BSU/etc. grad knows this rivalry better than you do? Knowing it and experiencing/being a part of it are two different things.

Well,based on last year, Fleck "Gets it" better than current CMU students, CMU alumni and the Mount Pleasant community.

Pretty convincing win in your half-empty stadium. Those that were there, were indifferent. WMU fans were louder and support their school and program more passionately. I suppose there is a reason for that, huh?

http://www.wmubroncos.com/ViewArticle.db...=209778692

Also, CMU only had 70 yards rushing last year, WITH RAWLS (an NFL caliber RB) in the line-up.

What do you think is gonna happen this year without him? Your current RB's could not beat George Ross in a 40-yard-sprint?
10-05-2015 11:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.