Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question for my fellow USM fans or CUSA mates
Bookmark and Share
Jayesseagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern Miss
Please compare and share your thoughts:

Todd Monken's offense vs Larry Fedora's offense ?

Which is more productive ? I have always been a Fedora fan but Monken is showing he has a high octane offense as well. What do y'all think ?
09-30-2015 03:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
RE: Question for my fellow USM fans or CUSA mates
(09-30-2015 03:23 PM)Jayesseagle Wrote:  Please compare and share your thoughts:

Todd Monken's offense vs Larry Fedora's offense ?

Which is more productive ? I have always been a Fedora fan but Monken is showing he has a high octane offense as well. What do y'all think ?

To be determined for me.
09-30-2015 03:35 PM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

Not enough info to judge yet.

I watched UNC a couple of weeks ago. I'm far from a football expert (as you've probably told me 03-lmfao ) but I really enjoy watching Fedora's offense. Seems like there's more going on in the backfield, more trickery. If I had to guess, I'd say Fedora's offense could get more out of less talented "system" players (the Danny Wuerffels of the world). Monken runs a quicker-developing offense that seems to rely more on plain old out-talenting / out-executing one's opponent.
09-30-2015 03:36 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I think one difference is where lf had a multi purpose back in lamp and lined him up all over the place to get touches or decoy, this offense is built more for talent. WE have better true backs and more dept at wr now than in lf's time.

I remimber lf's offenses having red zone issues but this one seems to be getting better. I think a year from now when Mullen is a sr will be a better time to compare the two.
09-30-2015 03:40 PM
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
I would say go back and dig up some footage of both from Ok St. They both had plenty of talent there and that offense was hot.
09-30-2015 03:53 PM
born in the burg Offline
2nd String

Personally, I like Monken's offense better. I still watch Fedora at North Carolina whenever I can. I do not see any evolution in his offense. Monken seems to evolve with the times. For example, we are running the plays that have become so popular with the run/pass option (like Ole Miss and Texas State). This is a new wrinkle in stretching the field vertically and we have done it with success. Offenses are becoming nearly impossible to stop.

We are on the cusp of a great offense. I think that we are turning the corner. I think that Monken is the man. That being said, I don't expect him to be here very long.
09-30-2015 03:57 PM
Advertisement

SethManKA1 Offline
2nd String

I admire Monken's offense because he stays dedicated to the run. I just don't remember Fedora running it much. I mean yeah he would throw pass-runs on the corners but not much hand off from QB. I think passing schemes Fedora wins slightly but if you look at total offensive schemes I pick Monken.

SMTTT
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2015 04:29 PM by SethManKA1.)
09-30-2015 04:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
usm99 Offline
Heisman

IN MY OPINION, the biggest difference is in Monken's offense there is no QB sneaks for plays of 1-2 yards or less. With Fedora, you would see Austin Davis go from under center in situation where he could get a yard or 2 for the first down. I'm not sure if I've ever seen this current offense/QB go under center
09-30-2015 04:29 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(09-30-2015 03:57 PM)born in the burg Wrote:  Personally, I like Monken's offense better. I still watch Fedora at North Carolina whenever I can. I do not see any evolution in his offense. Monken seems to evolve with the times. For example, we are running the plays that have become so popular with the run/pass option (like Ole Miss and Texas State). This is a new wrinkle in stretching the field vertically and we have done it with success. Offenses are becoming nearly impossible to stop.

We are on the cusp of a great offense. I think that we are turning the corner. I think that Monken is the man. That being said, I don't expect him to be here very long.

Considering the situation here was worse than the general public was aware of, if he does get a call from a bigger name he has well earned it.
09-30-2015 04:40 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(09-30-2015 03:53 PM)EagleFWB Wrote:  I would say go back and dig up some footage of both from Ok St. They both had plenty of talent there and that offense was hot.

This... when Monken has the talent (which he finally seems to have here).. his teams could light up the scoreboard on anyone.

The only thing I hate from The Monk's offense is the hand off from a shotgun... Never understood why teams do that. let your RB's build up some steam on that first step or two before they even get the ball.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2015 04:45 PM by DaSaintFan.)
09-30-2015 04:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
TBD
09-30-2015 04:46 PM
Advertisement

Jayesseagle Offline
Special Teams

(09-30-2015 03:36 PM)AndreWhere Wrote:  Not enough info to judge yet.

I watched UNC a couple of weeks ago. I'm far from a football expert (as you've probably told me 03-lmfao ) but I really enjoy watching Fedora's offense. Seems like there's more going on in the backfield, more trickery. If I had to guess, I'd say Fedora's offense could get more out of less talented "system" players (the Danny Wuerffels of the world). Monken runs a quicker-developing offense that seems to rely more on plain old out-talenting / out-executing one's opponent.

Yea, I agree. I really enjoy watching Fedora's offenses but I'm really impressed with Monken's also.
09-30-2015 07:59 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
loved fedhat and what he did while he was here....

and have stated too many times I trust in Monken...it's starting to play out...

'nuf said....not going to compare/contrast.....

the one thing I will say is people have been shittin' on Monk since he got here.....

mor0ns.....
09-30-2015 08:33 PM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I like Monken also, Stink, but it took me awhile to get over the way he played the last of that UTSA game last year to lose it. Then I remembered some of the questionable things Bower and Fedora did in their early years. Can you remember the UAB game at home during Fedora's tenure when he was on the Blazers three yard line right before halftime with third down and no timeouts with 10 seconds left? He ran the ball and was stopped short and didn't get another play...not even a try at a field goal. We lost that game in overtime.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2015 08:49 PM by nastybunch.)
09-30-2015 08:47 PM
Jayesseagle Offline
Special Teams

Same here, I think Monken is still on the learning curve as a Head Coach, just as Bower and Fedora was in their first couple of years. But ya gotta remember, look at what Monken inherited as compared to the other two. Yea. I believe he has made some mistakes, but look at what he's been able to do since his first year..he's gotten better and he's obviously done a pretty good job at getting some talent in here when things were looking bleak. Monken is going to be fine . I have a better feeling that we picked the right guy, just wish it would have been succeed Fedora.
09-30-2015 09:18 PM
LR Eagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
While Fedora inherited a team without the kind of offensive talent he wanted, he made a lot of progress in his first year. He finally put it together in 2011 (minus that choke job versus UAB) with the right mix of talent, schedule, and learning how to be a HC. Monken came into a much worse situation with talent and fan support. He still makes some questionable decisions, but his team has been so overmatched until this year that he's just now learning how to actually game plan as a HC.

Let's compare Monken's team next year (I doubt he's going to do enough to get a better offer this year) to Fedora's and see how they compare.

It really makes you sad to think what might have been had we hired Monken or Anderson after Fedora left instead of Ellis "Failure" Johnson.
09-30-2015 09:56 PM
Advertisement

Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(09-30-2015 09:56 PM)LR Eagle Wrote:  While Fedora inherited a team without the kind of offensive talent he wanted, he made a lot of progress in his first year. He finally put it together in 2011 (minus that choke job versus UAB) with the right mix of talent, schedule, and learning how to be a HC. Monken came into a much worse situation with talent and fan support. He still makes some questionable decisions, but his team has been so overmatched until this year that he's just now learning how to actually game plan as a HC.

Let's compare Monken's team next year (I doubt he's going to do enough to get a better offer this year) to Fedora's and see how they compare.

It really makes you sad to think what might have been had we hired Monken or Anderson after Fedora left instead of Ellis "Failure" Johnson.

Yes LF inhereted a better situation it was still simular. We were almost 20 s/s players short when Bower left. More to work with yes but still a very simular situation.
09-30-2015 10:45 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
you guys are all making great points....I think most of us are seeing the same thing in Monken as time moves forward....

there are so many things I could say about how far we have come since '12....

only winning 4 games over the last three years has been a tough pill to swallow....our fan base has never gone through that....

I think it's fair to say this is the first year that fans have a right to begin critiquing Monk as a coach...as long as it is put in relative perspective...

IMO, Monken has done one helluva job as a leader to get us to the point of optimism....from picking up the pieces of e12Loss to the post game rant after the Austin Peay game....the man is driven with a high expectation level across the board - including himself

I like that.

some may not agree with his tactics or straight shooter personality style.....but that man is a fighter, he's driven to succeed, and has the type of flair I respect and want coaching southern miss football.

like many of you guys, I'm still waiting for Monk to take the training wheels off the offense for all four quarters...it's coming (I hope)....also hoping Monken learned a few things from the NEB game...those two halves were as jekyll/hyde as it gets....

I'm with LR about waiting until next year if one wants to compare/contrast or be critical....I'm giving him a free pass for rookie mistakes this year.....in my mind, this is his first year to coach based on overall talent and depth...hell, just getting talent to come to this school after the last three years is a monumental feat all by itself...

my plan this year is to sit back and watch how Monken matures as a head coach....right now, he is exceeding my expectations (even with the 4 runs at the goal line before the half against state and the conservative game plan in the first half/chicanery in the second against NEB ( to mention a couple of questionable decisions)

one caveat that I haven't seen mentioned (or maybe I missed it)....not only is Monken trying to resurrect a program that has never witnessed 3 consecutive years of absolute failure, but he's also doing it after realignment showed how little our football history matters to the gods of tv and conferences that were picking teams on the playground......toss in the the new FBS schools that are in our recruiting area AND the lack of budgeting dollars that has always plagued our school.....collectively, these are monumental hurdles to overcome and be competitive at the FBS level...it's something to think about when grading Monken as a coach ....collins, carmody, hallman, bower, and fedora didn't have that scenario in totality...

have said all that, it's nice to be able to think about positive expectations once again....pride is about all we have left in the current schema of today's version of college football and is what southern miss football has represented over the 40 yrs I've been watching it evolve....

it is that, that matters the most to me as a fan...
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015 09:46 AM by stinkfist.)
10-01-2015 09:43 AM
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

(10-01-2015 09:43 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  you guys are all making great points....I think most of us are seeing the same thing in Monken as time moves forward....

there are so many things I could say about how far we have come since '12....

only winning 4 games over the last three years has been a tough pill to swallow....our fan base has never gone through that....

I think it's fair to say this is the first year that fans have a right to begin critiquing Monk as a coach...as long as it is put in relative perspective...

IMO, Monken has done one helluva job as a leader to get us to the point of optimism....from picking up the pieces of e12Loss to the post game rant after the Austin Peay game....the man is driven with a high expectation level across the board - including himself

I like that.

some may not agree with his tactics or straight shooter personality style.....but that man is a fighter, he's driven to succeed, and has the type of flair I respect and want coaching southern miss football.

like many of you guys, I'm still waiting for Monk to take the training wheels off the offense for all four quarters...it's coming (I hope)....also hoping Monken learned a few things from the NEB game...those two halves were as jekyll/hyde as it gets....

I'm with LR about waiting until next year if one wants to compare/contrast or be critical....I'm giving him a free pass for rookie mistakes this year.....in my mind, this is his first year to coach based on overall talent and depth...hell, just getting talent to come to this school after the last three years is a monumental feat all by itself...

my plan this year is to sit back and watch how Monken matures as a head coach....right now, he is exceeding my expectations (even with the 4 runs at the goal line before the half against state and the conservative game plan in the first half/chicanery in the second against NEB ( to mention a couple of questionable decisions)

one caveat that I haven't seen mentioned (or maybe I missed it)....not only is Monken trying to resurrect a program that has never witnessed 3 consecutive years of absolute failure, but he's also doing it after realignment showed how little our football history matters to the gods of tv and conferences that were picking teams on the playground......toss in the the new FBS schools that are in our recruiting area AND the lack of budgeting dollars that has always plagued our school.....collectively, these are monumental hurdles to overcome and be competitive at the FBS level...it's something to think about when grading Monken as a coach ....collins, carmody, hallman, bower, and fedora didn't have that scenario in totality...

have said all that, it's nice to be able to think about positive expectations once again....pride is about all we have left in the current schema of today's version of college football and is what southern miss football has represented over the 40 yrs I've been watching it evolve....

it is that, that matters the most to me as a fan...

Good stuff right there, stink! And some good thoughts from others also.

In my mind the biggest difference is that Monken likes to throw the ball down the field more, and has more of a power running game.

Fedora ran lots of wide short passes to wear down the DL by getting them to run sideline to sideline on consecutive plays, and force them into lots of running during the game.
10-01-2015 10:34 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Fedora ran the ball better, but he also had better players overall. Not to say there isn't some talent in the current offense.

Play calling is a push. Both struggled a bit in the red zone, but did really well in between the 20's.

Biggest difference between Fedora and Monken is that Fedora had talent on defense. Despite the disaster that was Todd Bradford, the defense was still good enough to post a winning record every year because there was talent. In 2012, everything came together and we had a "good" defense with a whole lot of talent.

This year's defense may be marginally better than the past 3 years, but we still are in dire need of players at linebacker. Concerned at how we will fare against the better spread offenses in the league.
10-01-2015 11:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.