(09-12-2015 10:50 PM)PezkingGL Wrote:  Same ole Broncos

But, but, but, you were rowing so hard this week. What happened? 03-weeping
09-12-2015 10:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rtletterman Offline
Banned

I Root For: LawyersGuns n $
RE: S.O.B.
That's the part that just grinds me, when they're rowing and you even counter with a dose of, oh say an Evinrude, they go ballistic on you.

One bad game and they're walking the plank and not even Fleckapologizimg. 03-hissyfit
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2015 11:02 PM by rtletterman.)
09-12-2015 11:02 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(09-12-2015 11:02 PM)rtletterman Wrote:  That's the part that just grinds me, when they're rowing and you even counter with a dose of, oh say an Evinrude, they go ballistic on you.

One bad game and they're walking the plank and not even Fleckapologizimg. 03-hissyfit

It's disappointing to see this mutiny
09-12-2015 11:04 PM
rtletterman Offline
Banned

(09-12-2015 11:04 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 11:02 PM)rtletterman Wrote:  That's the part that just grinds me, when they're rowing and you even counter with a dose of, oh say an Evinrude, they go ballistic on you.

It's disappointing to see this mutiny

Now is when the believers should stay the course. Head towards the thousand points of light. Not bail at the first sign of a list.
09-12-2015 11:06 PM
wmutkelaw Offline

I Root For: WMU and VALPO
Slaughter me if you must, but I am going to take the wait and see approach. This was 1 ugly game. If we stink up the joint in the MAC then I will reassess. Seems a bit premature to walk the plank.

On another note, I started the day in Nashville, surrounded by UGA fans. They are a rabid bunch. The 'dores got their butts kicked.

Great games by Toledo, Ohio, and BGSU.
09-12-2015 11:18 PM
Advertisement

wmutkelaw Offline

I Root For: WMU and VALPO
I still think we will get 7 wins. Likely play in some odd ball bowl. Perhaps we will win our first bowl game.
09-12-2015 11:21 PM
rtletterman Offline
Banned

(09-12-2015 11:18 PM)wmutkelaw Wrote:  Slaughter me if you must, but I am going to take the wait and see approach. This was 1 ugly game. If we stink up the joint in the MAC then I will reassess. Seems a bit premature to walk the plank.

On another note, I started the day in Nashville, surrounded by UGA fans. They are a rabid bunch. The 'dores got their butts kicked.

Now THAT is the way I would expect a die hard cocksman to be!!!
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Maybe so but I'll disagree.

I think tonight was a bit of an aberration. Once it started to unwind it sped up quickly getting out of hand.

This squad has more quality depth on both sides of the ball than in recent years.

But like many games when you get behind and can't get a running game untracked the Defense sees the field way too long and fatigue comes into play.

The O for this program is designed to be more capable at running. The OL is pretty good and experienced. No one can argue the backs now are not better than in recent memory? I liked what I saw out of Bogan who has a high motor. Franklin is proven. The OL and the game plan has to be committed to establish the run. Even if it is based first on throwing the ball to loosen up the "box".

As someone mentioned it looked like the DL was moving one way and the OL kept moving them that direction and the QB simply chose the option that went counter. That's the players doing what they're told. Later it may have gotten out of hand with fatigue and frustration but I think the die was set early on.

I'll admit I didn't catch every snap but I didn't see much adjustment on D. I could have missed it but I don't recall seeing anything jump out. Kind of reminded me of Hawk with the EMU zone. In the last couple years he has gotten better at attacking it but it is seen every now and then so prepping for it doesn't come naturally. WMU still struggles with it some but you'd think after a full class graduates that you'd have mastered it some seeing it 8x. Maybe the type of O GSU ran fits that "foreign mold"?
rtletterman Offline
Banned

(09-12-2015 11:21 PM)wmutkelaw Wrote:  I still think we will get 7 wins. Likely play in some odd ball bowl. Perhaps we will win our first bowl game.

Show me those 7!

Our survey says!!!
09-12-2015 11:22 PM
rtletterman Offline
Banned

(09-12-2015 11:21 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  

Maybe so but I'll disagree.

I think tonight was a bit of an aberration. Once it started to unwind it sped up quickly getting out of hand.

This squad has more quality depth on both sides of the ball than in recent years.

But like many games when you get behind and can't get a running game untracked the Defense sees the field way too long and fatigue comes into play.

The O for this program is designed to be more capable at running. The OL is pretty good and experienced. No one can argue the backs now are not better than in recent memory? I liked what I saw out of Bogan who has a high motor. Franklin is proven. The OL and the game plan has to be committed to establish the run. Even if it is based first on throwing the ball to loosen up the "box".

As someone mentioned it looked like the DL was moving one way and the OL kept moving them that direction and the QB simply chose the option that went counter. That's the players doing what they're told. Later it may have gotten out of hand with fatigue and frustration but I think the die was set early on.

I'll admit I didn't catch every snap but I didn't see much adjustment on D. I could have missed it but I don't recall seeing anything jump out. Kind of reminded me of Hawk with the EMU zone. In the last couple years he has gotten better at attacking it but it is seen every now and then so prepping for it doesn't come naturally. WMU still struggles with it some but you'd think after a full class graduates that you'd have mastered it some seeing it 8x. Maybe the type of O GSU ran fits that "foreign mold"?

This did remind me of Hawk and the EMU zone.

They had it clicking, bombing threes and running Wyoming out of the gym tonight! 04-cheers
09-12-2015 11:24 PM
Advertisement

huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
What did Fleck say after the game?
09-12-2015 11:30 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(09-12-2015 11:21 PM)rtletterman Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 11:18 PM)wmutkelaw Wrote:  Slaughter me if you must, but I am going to take the wait and see approach. This was 1 ugly game. If we stink up the joint in the MAC then I will reassess. Seems a bit premature to walk the plank.

It's "coxswain" you idiot!
09-12-2015 11:30 PM
rtletterman Offline
Banned

(09-12-2015 11:30 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 11:21 PM)rtletterman Wrote:  

It's "coxswain" you idiot!

Damn, all this time. 03-melodramatic
09-12-2015 11:35 PM
rtletterman Offline
Banned

(09-12-2015 11:30 PM)huskie1stdown Wrote:  What did Fleck say after the game?

I'm wanting to catch that myself.
09-12-2015 11:35 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

He said I take the blame for everything. Then pointed out every players errors but paraphrased it that it was his fault. He was rowing in circles.

Reality: team was totally unprepared for the spread option. Might have been the worst coaching performance since Jack Harbaugh.
09-12-2015 11:36 PM
Advertisement

rtletterman Offline
Banned

(09-12-2015 11:36 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  

He said I take the blame for everything. Then pointed out every players errors but paraphrased it that it was his fault. He was rowing in circles.

Reality: team was totally unprepared for the spread option. Might have been the worst coaching performance since Jack Harbaugh.

That is saying something.
09-12-2015 11:38 PM
The Colonel Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(09-12-2015 11:18 PM)wmutkelaw Wrote:  I am going to take the wait and see approach. This was 1 ugly game. If we stink up the joint in the MAC then I will reassess.

I'm with you on this. A few random thoughts after an old-fashioned butt-kicking:

- The kickoff return game was dreadful tonight. Whether that was due to field conditions, poor decisions, or a combination of both, we never got on track and consistently put ourselves in poor field position.

- I thought we had very good run/pass balance on the first series. Didn't like the third down call that caused us to settle for a FG.

- Outside of GSU's TD drive, the D wasn't too bad in the first quarter, although GSU running at will on their TD drive certainly proved to be an omen of things to come.

- Question for Major, the ghost of Kimbo, or any other football coaches: have you ever seen a long snapper snap the ball to the punter diagonally? I noticed we did this last week against MSU as well. I get that we rugby punt, but I don't ever recall seeing anyone else do this. It seems to me that this would make the already difficult job of a long-snapper even more difficult.

- After the safety, run defense was nonexistent the rest of the night, about as bad as I can ever recall, right up there with the NIU QBs running through us at will a few years ago.

- The biggest disappointment of the night to me was seeing our O-line lose the battle in the trenches. A big part of what made our offense effective last season was our run/pass balance. I felt like we abandoned the run far too early tonight, and I believe we will continue to struggle offensively until we become more balanced.

- For the second straight week, too many dropped passes by the WRs

As bad as we looked tonight (and we looked plenty bad), all of our goals are still in front of us. The biggest setback after tonight is that getting back to a bowl game will be much more difficult now, considering we will most likely head into MAC play at 1-3 and also considering how well many other MAC teams looked today. It's going to be hard to re-evaluate this team over the next month or so until MAC play begins.

If this team improves, though, and stays healthy, there's no reason this team can't get off to a strong start in MAC play. If nothing else, we won't see anyone else offensively like Georgia Southern the rest of the way. This team can still prevent this season from spiraling out of control, but there's no question this team - starting with the coaching staff - has an awful lot of improving to do in a hurry.

- If there was one rash decision I'd make following this game, I'd remove Haldeman from kicking PATs. No FBS kicker should average a missed PAT every 2-3 games the way Haldeman has over a season-plus.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2015 11:42 PM by The Colonel.)
09-12-2015 11:41 PM
Doo Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
Directional snapping isn't as hard as you might think. But also the shortest ie quickest distance is a straight line.
09-13-2015 07:24 AM
schwebbs84 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
Haldeman's got to go. Open tryouts. We can't afford those misses.
09-13-2015 08:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.