Bookmark and Share
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Exclamation Southern Miss Poised for Breakout Year per Grantland.Com
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-c...hern-miss/

"This Year: Bowl game?

Southern Miss, on the other hand, has the most obvious line of demarcation: Before 2012, the Golden Eagles delivered 18 consecutive winning seasons and five C-USA championships, including a 12-2 triumph in 2011 that stands among the best seasons in school history. Since 2012, the Eagles have languished at the bottom of the sport by all conceivable measures, victims of an abrupt, unforeseen nosedive that still cannot be explained. Entering his third season, coach Todd Monken isn’t facing any ultimatums — the crater he inherited from his one-and-done predecessor, Ellis Johnson, is still emitting toxic fumes — but he isn’t waiting around for the homegrown talent to pay dividends, either.

When preseason camp kicked off earlier this month, Southern Miss’s depth chart featured a staggering 22 players who began their careers at other schools, at least half of whom have either cracked the starting lineup already or have a legitimate chance to do so. That number includes junior-college transfers4 as well as refugees from Michigan (RB Justice Hayes), Auburn (DE Ricky Parks and LB Anthony Swain), Oklahoma (DT Quincy Russell), Kansas (DT Andrew Bolton), Arkansas (OL Drew Peterson), Houston (WR Casey Martin), and TCU (QB Tyler Matthews) — in other words, just about any healthy, eligible body who can upgrade the talent level long enough to get Monken’s rebuilding project off the ground. “I don’t know how many [transfers] will start, but they’ll all play,” Monken said earlier this month. “Would be foolish if they didn’t play for us. To use a scholarship and not have them play, that’d be foolish.”

Again, Monken has some time if every short-term scholarship doesn’t come to full fruition. But given that six wins this fall would qualify as dramatic progress, and given a 2015 schedule that includes exceedingly winnable dates with Austin Peay, Texas State, North Texas, UT–San Antonio, Charlotte, UTEP, and Old Dominion, if it’s not right now, the outlook for two or three years from now isn’t going to look much better."

I am fond of So Miss and wish them best of success (except when playing Memphis, of course).
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2015 09:26 AM by Tiger1983.)
08-28-2015 09:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

It's The Talons Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM/GSU
RE: Southern Miss Poised for Breakout Year per Grantland.Com
I feel a great year coming! Thanks for the post and kind words!
08-28-2015 11:02 AM
NueDaeEagle Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: USM
(08-28-2015 09:25 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-c...hern-miss/

Southern Miss, on the other hand, has the most obvious line of demarcation: Before 2012, the Golden Eagles delivered 18 consecutive winning seasons and five C-USA championships, including a 12-2 triumph in 2011 that stands among the best seasons in school history. Since 2012, the Eagles have languished at the bottom of the sport by all conceivable measures, victims of an abrupt, unforeseen nosedive that still cannot be explained. Entering his third season, coach Todd Monken isn’t facing any ultimatums — the crater he inherited from his one-and-done predecessor, Ellis Johnson, is still emitting toxic fumes — but he isn’t waiting around for the homegrown talent to pay dividends, either.

When preseason camp kicked off earlier this month, Southern Miss’s depth chart featured a staggering 22 players who began their careers at other schools, at least half of whom have either cracked the starting lineup already or have a legitimate chance to do so. That number includes junior-college transfers4 as well as refugees from Michigan (RB Justice Hayes), Auburn (DE Ricky Parks and LB Anthony Swain), Oklahoma (DT Quincy Russell), Kansas (DT Andrew Bolton), Arkansas (OL Drew Peterson), Houston (WR Casey Martin), and TCU (QB Tyler Matthews) — in other words, just about any healthy, eligible body who can upgrade the talent level long enough to get Monken’s rebuilding project off the ground. “I don’t know how many [transfers] will start, but they’ll all play,” Monken said earlier this month. “Would be foolish if they didn’t play for us. To use a scholarship and not have them play, that’d be foolish.”

Again, Monken has some time if every short-term scholarship doesn’t come to full fruition. But given that six wins this fall would qualify as dramatic progress, and given a 2015 schedule that includes exceedingly winnable dates with Austin Peay, Texas State, North Texas, UT–San Antonio, Charlotte, UTEP, and Old Dominion, if it’s not right now, the outlook for two or three years from now isn’t going to look much better."

I am fond of So Miss and wish them best of success (except when playing Memphis, of course).

Thanks for the find. The Black and Blue game with Memphis used to be fun. Wish we could renew. He only got one thing wrong - the reason for the nose dive was Ellis Johnson destroyed our program. Plain and simple.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2015 11:08 AM by NueDaeEagle.)
08-28-2015 11:07 AM
HeadsetGuy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU
I saw this this morning and thought it was a good write-up for USM and CUSA
08-28-2015 11:24 AM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Ellis Johnson was just part of the reason...
08-28-2015 01:50 PM
SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

(08-28-2015 01:50 PM)nastybunch Wrote:  Ellis Johnson was just part of the reason...

Larry Fedora not recruiting well his last season before he left... you know because he probably had a feeling he was going to jump ship...

Ellis Johnson... and his lack of recruiting... and coaching hires... and coaching style...

Jeff Hammond... (people forget he lasted only one year as AD too)

Dust left from Martha Saunders... and the whole administration flops and shortcomings of the 2000s...

Basically just a perfect storm of debauchery and desolation that lead to a culmination of bad decisions, administration hiccups, and a frustrated fan base...

Nevertheless I like what Bill McGillis and Todd Monken (and Doc Sadler for that matter-- but that's a whole other story) have done to rebuild the athletics programs from the ground up. I know a lot of people are frustrated, but this year should have most of those frustrations relieved, especially if we get a bowl game close to home that the fan base can easily travel to.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2015 02:04 PM by SouthernMissSNu.)
08-28-2015 02:03 PM
Advertisement

nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I can agree with that, plus the firing of Bower started this although Fedora managed to hold it together with Bower recruits and some of his own....Johnson popped the bubble....
08-28-2015 02:18 PM
SouthernMissSNu Offline
1st String

(08-28-2015 02:18 PM)nastybunch Wrote:  I can agree with that, plus the firing of Bower started this although Fedora managed to hold it together with Bower recruits and some of his own....Johnson popped the bubble....

It was as if the bad kept piling and piling and piling until people became frustrated and blamed it on Bower- thus firing him. Fedora was like getting a quick fix on the situation. And then Hammond and Johnson were the catalyst for the reaction and downturn of athletics at Southern Miss.

Honestly, Dr. Bennett, Bill McGillis, and the rest of the administration have done a great job to right the sinking ship over the past three years in all aspects. People don't realize how slow this recovery will be. But, I think a good year and a bowl game (and as I have said- I have a weird feeling about the MS State game) will be the springboard to boost the morale of the fan base, the administration, the student body, and the pine belt area. This could be most definitely our "breakout year"
08-28-2015 02:52 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

(08-28-2015 02:03 PM)SouthernMissSNu Wrote:  
(08-28-2015 01:50 PM)nastybunch Wrote:  Ellis Johnson was just part of the reason...

Larry Fedora not recruiting well his last season before he left... you know because he probably had a feeling he was going to jump ship...

Ellis Johnson... and his lack of recruiting... and coaching hires... and coaching style...

Jeff Hammond... (people forget he lasted only one year as AD too)

Dust left from Martha Saunders... and the whole administration flops and shortcomings of the 2000s...

Basically just a perfect storm of debauchery and desolation that lead to a culmination of bad decisions, administration hiccups, and a frustrated fan base...

Nevertheless I like what Bill McGillis and Todd Monken (and Doc Sadler for that matter-- but that's a whole other story) have done to rebuild the athletics programs from the ground up. I know a lot of people are frustrated, but this year should have most of those frustrations relieved, especially if we get a bowl game close to home that the fan base can easily travel to.

If LFed had a recruiting dip it was because he lost his best in state guy to mullet in starkganistan. That was tony hughes.
But when you have a defense that went 0-12 and 4 guys are on nfl rosters right now, its hard to point a finger at anything other than one particular coach.
08-28-2015 06:05 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

Some of you are delusional. Fedora had a phenomenal recruiting class coming together before he left. When he did, most of those great players switched commitments. Those recruits are now starting at places like Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, etc. He didn't "leave us out to dry." He left and Johnson didn't even try to hold on to them.

And please don't blame Hammond. He can hold some blame for being part of the hiring of Johnson, but let's not say this was his fault. He only lasted one year as AD for a reason, and it wasn't performance.
08-28-2015 06:42 PM
LR Eagle Offline
Special Teams

(08-28-2015 06:42 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  Some of you are delusional. Fedora had a phenomenal recruiting class coming together before he left. When he did, most of those great players switched commitments. Those recruits are now starting at places like Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, etc. He didn't "leave us out to dry." He left and Johnson didn't even try to hold on to them.

And please don't blame Hammond. He can hold some blame for being part of the hiring of Johnson, but let's not say this was his fault. He only lasted one year as AD for a reason, and it wasn't performance.

He was on the committee that hired EJ. He let Tyndall commit major NCAA infractions right under his clueless nose. He got the athletic department sued over his treatment of employees. He accused a shadowy cabal of boosters and former administrators of corruption, ordered an audit to investigate said corruption, only for it to come up empty.

Yeah, his performance was outstanding.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2015 07:58 PM by LR Eagle.)
08-28-2015 07:46 PM
Advertisement

winston70 Offline
All American

I Root For: La Tech
I think USM will be much better this year
08-28-2015 10:05 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

(08-28-2015 07:46 PM)LR Eagle Wrote:  
(08-28-2015 06:42 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  Some of you are delusional. Fedora had a phenomenal recruiting class coming together before he left. When he did, most of those great players switched commitments. Those recruits are now starting at places like Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, etc. He didn't "leave us out to dry." He left and Johnson didn't even try to hold on to them.

He was on the committee that hired EJ. He let Tyndall commit major NCAA infractions right under his clueless nose. He got the athletic department sued over his treatment of employees. He accused a shadowy cabal of boosters and former administrators of corruption, ordered an audit to investigate said corruption, only for it to come up empty.

You know very little from what you say. I'll leave it at that.
08-28-2015 10:19 PM
Shrack Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
7 opponents rated 95th or worse with 5 of those games being at home. USM should at least go 5-7 this year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
08-29-2015 03:55 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(08-29-2015 03:55 AM)Shrack Wrote:  7 opponents rated 95th or worse with 5 of those games being at home. USM should at least go 5-7 this year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah their schedule sets up well to go to a Bowl this year. I hope we don't make it easy on them but drawing Charlotte and ODU from the East is definitely in their favor.
08-29-2015 07:36 AM
AndreWhere Offline
Banned

What's scary is that this is apparently the sort of behavior the US Army rewards: manufacture a problem, create hysteria, "solve" the problem, get promoted.

I'm not quite sold on the whole breakout season thing. Todd and company have won, what, 4 games? These guys will have to learn how to win. They will have every opportunity to do so, with this charade of a schedule we're playing. But after the UTSA and UAB games, I'm not expecting much. This team finished last season in an atrocious manner
08-29-2015 08:01 AM
Advertisement

southernmiss4ever Offline
All American

(08-28-2015 10:19 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  

And this is why USM should never hire/promote from within when it comes to "higher up" positions.....too many fans let their personal feelings get in the way.
08-29-2015 08:17 AM
LR Eagle Offline
Special Teams

Cool story bro. Did you cry when Hammond was fired?
08-29-2015 01:29 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(08-28-2015 09:25 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-c...hern-miss/

We'll have to see about that one, won't we? It's in our house and we have a ton of the same players we had in 2013. Our true freshman QB (brought in after this game) is now a junior and we have the same backfield (less 1). We have way more FBS depth, talent and have a good line. It won't be an easy game for anyone. Far from "exceedingly winnable"
08-29-2015 02:17 PM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

And on cue, there's the claim of the existence of some double-top-secret truth us lowly people outside of the exclusive Church of Hammondtology just aren't privy to.

That Hammond at the very least didn't stand up to Saunders in regard to the Johnson hire is fact. The extent of his involvement otherwise is debatable, but at the bare minimum, he, as acting AD at the time, failed to stop it.

That he hired Tyndall is fact, period.

That his behavior toward an employee resulted in a lawsuit is fact. Whether said employee "had it coming" or not is a matter of opinion, but the lawsuit happening is fact.

That the state auditor's report did not back Hammond's claims is fact, period.

If you care to produce evidence disputing these facts, please do.
08-29-2015 03:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.