Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2015 Charlotte Preview
Bookmark and Share
keebler645 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
2015 Charlotte Preview
2015 Charlotte Preview

A preview I wrote about the 49ers from a Marshall perspective. Feel free to let me know if there's any wrong info or anything I missed.
08-06-2015 04:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: 2015 Charlotte Preview
Seems fair.

Wouldn't necessarily pen Johnson in as the starting qb though. My money would be on him, but coaches seem pleased with McNeils performance last year too.
08-06-2015 05:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tintin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
(08-06-2015 04:07 PM)keebler645 Wrote:  2015 Charlotte Preview

A preview I wrote about the 49ers from a Marshall perspective. Feel free to let me know if there's any wrong info or anything I missed.

The only thing I disagree with is that it's going to be a lot of fun.
08-06-2015 05:59 PM
Advertisement

wh49er Offline
All American

Decent write up. The only thing I see missing is mentioning the amount of FBS talent that was redshirted the first 2 years. It shouldn't be a surprise to see some current starters lose their spot.
08-06-2015 07:53 PM
Norm DaNiner Offline
2nd String

(08-06-2015 05:11 PM)Niner National Wrote:  Seems fair.

Wouldn't necessarily pen Johnson in as the starting qb though. My money would be on him, but coaches seem pleased with McNeils performance last year too.

Agree, I wouldn't count out McNeil or Barden. It definitely seems like a three way battle for QB. Matt can throw a nice deep ball but struggles with the intermediate throws, Lee is more of a game manager and Barden is the highly recruited red-shirt that hasn't shown his talent yet. Should be an interesting couple of weeks. Philips and Duke are legit DI talents. Our defense can only go one direction. I hope! It was painful last year watching us get picked apart.

But overall one of the better previews of the team that I have seen.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2015 07:57 PM by Norm DaNiner.)
08-06-2015 07:55 PM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

Thanks for the write up. However, I think 52-10 pretty much equates to a 100% chance of victory. 04-cheers
08-07-2015 08:29 AM
919R Offline
Special Teams

(08-06-2015 07:53 PM)wh49er Wrote:  Decent write up. The only thing I see missing is mentioning the amount of FBS talent that was redshirted the first 2 years. It shouldn't be a surprise to see some current starters lose their spot.

This and the multiple FBS transfers who will be playing this year. Many of these guys (under normal circumstances) would have been playing and certainly our record would have improved (ie; you read too much into our record vs. "lesser opponents" as the reason we will struggle so much). We used the "sit out and get old" strategy much more than UTSA and ODU did I think. We will probably only win 2-3 games yes, but most of that is because of the stronger opponents. The quality of our team will be MUCH stronger than a "typical" 5-6 FCS squad.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2015 09:20 AM by 919R.)
08-07-2015 09:19 AM
Advertisement

benny_t Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
(08-07-2015 09:19 AM)919R Wrote:  
(08-06-2015 07:53 PM)wh49er Wrote:  Decent write up. The only thing I see missing is mentioning the amount of FBS talent that was redshirted the first 2 years. It shouldn't be a surprise to see some current starters lose their spot.

This and the multiple FBS transfers who will be playing this year. Many of these guys (under normal circumstances) would have been playing and certainly our record would have improved (ie; you read too much into our record vs. "lesser opponents" as the reason we will struggle so much). We used the "sit out and get old" strategy much more than UTSA and ODU did I think. We will probably only win 2-3 games yes, but most of that is because of the stronger opponents. The quality of our team will be MUCH stronger than a "typical" 5-6 FCS squad.

Yeah we redshirted something like 20 players last season and we lacked in depth because of it but we will be better this year because of it as well. So we pretty much employed the sit out and get old strategy as well but we banked on a 4 year starting QB to carry the team and keep games close, a luxury ya'll do not have.
08-07-2015 09:36 AM
919R Offline
Special Teams

(08-07-2015 09:36 AM)benny_t Wrote:  
(08-07-2015 09:19 AM)919R Wrote:  

Yeah we redshirted something like 20 players last season and we lacked in depth because of it but we will be better this year because of it as well. So we pretty much employed the sit out and get old strategy as well but we banked on a 4 year starting QB to carry the team and keep games close, a luxury ya'll do not have.

ODU also had 3-4 extra years in FCS to "build" as well. We are going FBS in year 3, ODU did that in what year 5 or 6? UTSA did it in year 2 I think, but did not use near as many red-shirts (classes weren't staggered as well) as we did, hence the TON of guys they lost after last season.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2015 12:53 PM by 919R.)
08-07-2015 12:50 PM
NovaNiner Offline
Water Engineer

Will you give me 42 points so we can make a bet?
08-08-2015 08:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.