Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So, ODU...
Bookmark and Share
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
So, ODU...
Your AD says the school will not pay CoA for the upcoming academic year.

First and foremost, I find this to be an extremely bizarre stance to take. While, I understand that CoA wasn't much on the radar when you guys put forth the plan to go I-A, unexpected expenses had to be wrapped in the decision-making process.

Second, this is an extremely risky decision. There is absolutely no doubt that a) just about every other C-USA school (and likely all 13) will pay it; therefore, b) this is going to tie a hand behind the backs of your coaches in recruiting at least for one year.

Lastly, I understand the reasoning that no current student-athletes were recruited with that on the table and the cost is signficant but I believe it could be used against you even if coaches tell recruits "you'll get it next year." It will be curious if any kids elect to transfer because of this. A lot of low income families are looking at this as a life line.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2015 12:23 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
08-03-2015 12:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Re: So, ODU...
Seriously? I haven't read anything about this. Have a link?
08-03-2015 12:27 PM
bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
RE: So, ODU...
Someone else posted, and I tend to agree, that it may have been determined that the extra money can't come at the expense of students or other sports. Tickets were already sold for this season so next season raise prices on tickets by 5 bucks and that covers the full expense of CoA.
08-03-2015 12:34 PM
Eagle Lurker Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Southern Miss
Last I was told, nobody in C-USA was paying it for this year.
08-03-2015 12:41 PM
FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
FIU is doing it this fall, MTSU coaches postponed raises to ensure that they can begin this fall. FAU AD Chun, in January, said they would begin in fall. Those are the ones that came to mind immediately, others may be doing so as well.
08-03-2015 12:56 PM
Advertisement

FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
(08-03-2015 12:41 PM)Eagle Lurker Wrote:  Last I was told, nobody in C-USA was paying it for this year.

Seems even USM will begin in fall as well ...
Quote:Every scholarship Southern Miss awards to any student-athlete from now on will be based on cost of attendance.

That article is dated Aug 1 2015.

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story.../31006037/
08-03-2015 01:02 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

We also have a state legislature that has tied our hands on raising fees. We actually have to lessen the amount our teams are supported by fees. So the only way to pay COA is through fundraising and ticket prices. That takes time and the COA thing came about quickly. I've heard our AD say out of his own mouth that we are committed to doing it, so I was a little surprised they're waiting a year. My guess is they are looking for a way to do all sports at once. ODU has always been committed to treating womens sports equitably, so I guess the last women's lacrosse player has to get the same as the starting QB. Thats just a guess.
08-03-2015 01:11 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Re: RE: So, ODU...
(08-03-2015 12:41 PM)Eagle Lurker Wrote:  Last I was told, nobody in C-USA was paying it for this year.

We are.
08-03-2015 01:17 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee

Well, that's news to me. In addition to Stockstill taking giving back the raise, we're also playing two guarantees this year for $2.45 million to help pay for it. First time in a while we have done that. It was the primary reason we schedule Bama after already having Illinois on the schedule.
08-03-2015 01:18 PM
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
WKU will not start COA till fall 2016.A large number of schools nationwide are holding off one year.
08-03-2015 02:24 PM
USMSTUD Offline
Banned

(08-03-2015 12:27 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  Seriously? I haven't read anything about this. Have a link?

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/08/unlike-m...g-stipends
08-03-2015 03:12 PM
theboro Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(08-03-2015 12:23 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Your AD says the school will not pay CoA for the upcoming academic year.

First and foremost, I find this to be an extremely bizarre stance to take. While, I understand that CoA wasn't much on the radar when you guys put forth the plan to go I-A, unexpected expenses had to be wrapped in the decision-making process.

Second, this is an extremely risky decision. There is absolutely no doubt that a) just about every other C-USA school (and likely all 13) will pay it; therefore, b) this is going to tie a hand behind the backs of your coaches in recruiting at least for one year.

Lastly, I understand the reasoning that no current student-athletes were recruited with that on the table and the cost is signficant but I believe it could be used against you even if coaches tell recruits "you'll get it next year." It will be curious if any kids elect to transfer because of this. A lot of low income families are looking at this as a life line.

Sounds like ODU doesn't want to do what it takes.

Maybe they should start putting forth the effort to help elevate this conference.
08-03-2015 03:41 PM
TruBlu Offline
2nd String

I Root For: MT, C-USA
Maybe ODU is employing the East Division's Little Brother Rule.

Rule: Whatever MT does, WKU will do the same thing the following year.
04-cheers
08-03-2015 03:53 PM
Advertisement

Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
(08-03-2015 03:41 PM)theboro Wrote:  
(08-03-2015 12:23 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Your AD says the school will not pay CoA for the upcoming academic year.

Sounds like ODU doesn't want to do what it takes.

Maybe they should start putting forth the effort to help elevate this conference.

Oh, you.
08-03-2015 04:05 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I don't think Charlotte starts paying them until next year either.
08-03-2015 04:23 PM
ECBrad Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
It's just a year, they'll live
08-03-2015 04:26 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
As I posted on the ODU board, I don't think the delay is a big deal so long as we're committed to pay it in the future but I hope they figure out what they're going to do next year and announce it sooner rather than later so there's no or little detriment to recruiting.
08-03-2015 04:29 PM
Advertisement

Eagle Lurker Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-03-2015 01:02 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  

Seems even USM will begin in fall as well ...
Quote:Every scholarship Southern Miss awards to any student-athlete from now on will be based on cost of attendance.

That article is dated Aug 1 2015.

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story.../31006037/

Yes, every scholarship awarded beginning this fall. But the ones they are PAYING this fall will not include it. If you read the rest of the article, they have not yet even determined the amounts to pay.
08-03-2015 04:35 PM
Beans N Cornbread Offline
2nd String

So, ODU...
ODU will get it done next year, relax. It wasn't planned for or budgeted ... but it's coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-03-2015 05:07 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(08-03-2015 03:53 PM)TruBlu Wrote:  Maybe ODU is employing the East Division's Little Brother Rule.

Rule: Whatever MT does, WKU will do the same thing the following year.
04-cheers

i hope that's not true.

if so we'll have to stop going to bowl games. and i was counting on one this year. 04-cheers
08-03-2015 11:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.