Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Most Overrated and Most Underrated pre-2015 Season
Bookmark and Share
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Most Overrated and Most Underrated pre-2015 Season
With most of the preseason ranking and analysis out, we know where every teams stand in the eyes of the media, the coaches, and the fans on this board. We know how well everyone did last year, what players they return, and their schedules.

Based on the above, who is the most overrated and underrated?
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2015 09:44 PM by DrGonzo.)
07-28-2015 09:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

StillGotIt Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: Most Overrated and Most Underrated pre-2015 Season
(07-28-2015 09:22 PM)DrGonzo Wrote:  With pretty most of the preseason ranking and analysis out, we know where every teams stand in the eyes of the media, the coaches, and the fans on this board. We know how well everyone did last year, what players they return, and their schedules.

Not including my team, I would say

Over Georgia Southern
Under Georgia St.
07-28-2015 09:39 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(07-28-2015 09:22 PM)DrGonzo Wrote:  With pretty most of the preseason ranking and analysis out, we know where every teams stand in the eyes of the media, the coaches, and the fans on this board. We know how well everyone did last year, what players they return, and their schedules.

That's easy, the Cajuns. None of you guys should even bother practicing for them.
07-28-2015 09:39 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
Under: TXST
Over: App
07-28-2015 09:40 PM
DrGonzo Offline
1st String

Most Overrated: Cliche as it might be for an App fan to go the Stink, Georgia Southern is my pick. (1) While retaining Ellison, Georgia Southern lost 10 players that started at least six games. (2) The momentum that saw the Eagles run through the start of their season with ease was waning at end, demonstrated by a blown out loss to Navy and a near miss against ULM. (3) Much like the Mountaineers, SBC coaches now have a game in the books against the new FBS member, more film, and they sure as hell will see the Eagles coming.

Georgia Southern has been picked by the coaches and many media outlets to win the league. Now they've landed just outside the top 25 on the preseason countdown. I think the Eagles will be a great team this year but it's going to take last year's season or better to live up to the hype.

Nothing personal, but I think GaSo is the no brainer pick for most overrated.

Most Underrated: I'm going to have to go with USA. I saw this team fire on all cylinders as they dominated App State at the Rock. Now, they've lost a few players including that stud QB, but a lot of those holes will be filled with experienced transfers from UAB.

USA is getting absolutely 0 respect in these preseason polls and write ups. I don't expect them to go out and win the conference, but they're going to win some games, maybe even spoil it for my team.
07-28-2015 09:41 PM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Overrated: No one.

Underrated: Jags, just because some people are picking them to be in the cellar.
07-28-2015 09:47 PM
Advertisement

SBEagle Offline
1st String

Re: Most Overrated and Most Underrated pre-2015 Season
Overrated- App. Satterfield is credited with changing everything up m id stream last season and turning things around. My question is what took so long? Does he have trouble judging talent, had to lose to Liberty to make changes. Didn't he have the same problem the prior season? Can he coach a complete season?

I actually don't believe any of the above but had to counter gonzos obvious attempt to start a thread that would put Southern as the most overrated on the same day the Orlando paper finally ranked us.

Now my serious thoughts are as follows: overrated- Ga Southern. Gonzo, your correct. Southern is the no brainer pick. 4 starting o lineman is hard to replace. Plus a defense that was suspect against the pass. Won't sneak up on anyone this season.

Underrated- 1a Texas State. I think they are a sleeping giant.
1b-ULL. I know they are getting some hype but it is not enough. With there schedule they have a shot at going undefeated. They don't play the defending champs. There running game should be a nightmare for Ark State. Kentucky is certainly beatable. App on the road will be tough. Basically they have one game- App to get up for. If they lose opening weekend to Kentucky, so what. Plenty of season left to rebound.
07-28-2015 10:01 PM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

Overrated: App
Underrated: ECU
07-28-2015 10:05 PM
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
Overrated: Can't really say any team is overrated

Underrated: USA and TxSt. I know our players have seen the ratings and know they are getting zero respect. They've heard the "team chemistry" concerns and the lack of experience ("5 returning starters" rhetoric). They are fired up and ready to play.

I could also toss Troy and Ga State in as underrated.
07-28-2015 10:13 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

don't know what to think about GS, I agree with Gonzo that they really weren't the same dominate team in the second half of the season, looked like teams finally gathered enough film on them, and came up a great game plans to defend them, and losing all those linemen is going to hurt, atleast early in the season, but, they still have a great coach, who is very good at finding ways to win, and probably the most dangerous player in the SBC with their qb, the guy doesn't scare anyone throwing the ball, but every time he breaks containment he is a threat to score. Most underrated has to be TX State, glad we don't have them on the schedule, GS better be real careful with them when they come to Statesboro.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2015 11:10 PM by moehler.)
07-28-2015 10:15 PM
APPrising Offline
1st String

(07-28-2015 10:05 PM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  Overrated: App
Underrated: ECU

Good one!
07-29-2015 08:05 AM
Advertisement

Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
Over: GS
Under: GSU
07-29-2015 08:06 AM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

(07-28-2015 10:15 PM)moehler Wrote:  don't know what to think about GS, I agree with Gonzo that they really weren't the same dominate team in the second half of the season, looked like teams finally gathered enough film on them, and came up a great game plans to defend them, and losing all those linemen is going to hurt, atleast early in the season, but, they still have a great coach, who is very good at finding ways to win, and probably the most dangerous player in the SBC with their qb, the guy doesn't scare anyone throwing the ball, but every time he breaks containment he is a threat to score. Most underrated has to be TX State, glad we don't have them on the schedule, GS better be real careful with them when they come to Statesboro.

I would say in the last three games we were not the team we were in the rest of the season.

Part of it was our injuries at the H-back position. That's a position we use a good bit on most plays and towards the end of the Troy game we were down to the third-string guy.

Also, just from watching Ellison in those final games I could tell that his throwing shoulder was really aggravating him. Anyone who watched us all year can see Ellison was not throwing in those last games like he was in September. In the Texas State game he missed Matt Breida who was wide open on a wheel route.

One more comment: I think our fans are overestimating our defense and our OL but I'm not sure I would say we are overrated because I don't think we're really that highly rated as some here are suggesting. Most of the preseason mags have us somewhere from 60-90, we got only 6 of 11 first-place votes in the coaches poll and one coach voted us 4th.

App State is hardly generating any hype so I'm not sure what people are thinking voting them overrated as well. I wonder if some out there that seem to think it's some kind of fluke that the newcomers led the pack and that this year that will somehow be corrected.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2015 08:14 AM by EigenEagle.)
07-29-2015 08:10 AM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
GS fans are comical... This year it's " cajuns don't have to play the defending champs" last year when you avoided play the champions of the previous 4 years it was "we can only play the schedule we were given"
07-29-2015 08:27 AM
Hail Southern Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Eagles
(07-29-2015 08:27 AM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  GS fans are comical... This year it's " cajuns don't have to play the defending champs" last year when you avoided play the champions of the previous 4 years it was "we can only play the schedule we were given"

...or could it be we're just going with your line to flip the script and poke fun at you?
07-29-2015 08:33 AM
kb325 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: stAte
Overrated has to be Georgia Southern for 2 reasons 1) lost a bunch on the O line from what I have read and 2) they are ranked #31 which seems a bit high ...

Underrated I say stAte or Txst...yes I'm a homer and I think Txst is going to have a good year
07-29-2015 08:33 AM
Advertisement

sidslidkid Offline
1st String

(07-29-2015 08:27 AM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  GS fans are comical... This year it's " cajuns don't have to play the defending champs" last year when you avoided play the champions of the previous 4 years it was "we can only play the schedule we were given"

Who exactly are you quoting? The same person said both of those things?
07-29-2015 08:34 AM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
Overrated is us. I hope we live up to the hype and I'm proved wrong, but I'd rather we got another chance to prove everybody else wrong.

Underrated. I think it's tie between Ga. State and Texas State.
07-29-2015 08:39 AM
StanMolsonMan Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
Might just be a concern that GSU might be the most overrated underrated team. I hope this is a break out year, but other than season 1, football has always come up short of expectations. Hopefully this is the year that breaks that streak.
07-29-2015 08:43 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

Are we going on the coaches preseason poll, the Orlando rankings?

Either way I laugh at GS fan claiming App is the most overrated at 4th in the SBC coaches poll and 40 spots lower than them in the Orlando poll.

I'm going to need some further context...
07-29-2015 08:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.