Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Navy time frame
SMUfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
Navy time frame
Is Navy invited indefinitely or is there a timeframe for evaluation?
07-27-2015 05:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
Navy time frame
Permanent football member
07-27-2015 05:27 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
RE: Navy time frame
Permanent.
07-27-2015 05:28 PM
Advertisement

True Bearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Permanent football member. Hope they don't pull an Army, and leave in a few years.
07-27-2015 08:02 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: RE: Navy time frame
(07-27-2015 05:22 PM)SMUfan Wrote:  Is Navy invited indefinitely or is there a timeframe for evaluation?

No but smu is still in the probationary period so settle down
07-27-2015 08:13 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(07-27-2015 08:02 PM)True Bearcat Wrote:  Permanent football member. Hope they don't pull an Army, and leave in a few years.
Army joined C-USA 1.0 back in 1998 as a football-only member. I think they joined in good faith, but it turned out that Army just didn't have the athletes to compete in that league. They went 9-41 (conference games only) over seven seasons and withdrew after 2004. No one in C-USA felt cheated or anything like that.

Since C-USA has had so much turnover since then, it's worth pointing out the list of teams in C-USA in those days:

1998-2004
1. Army
2. Cincinnati
3. East Carolina
4. Houston
5. Louisville
6. Memphis
7. Southern Miss
8. Tulane
9. UAB (joined 1999)
10. TCU (joined 2001)
11. South Florida (joined 2003)
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2015 07:57 AM by Native Georgian.)
07-28-2015 07:55 AM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
(07-27-2015 08:02 PM)True Bearcat Wrote:  Permanent football member. Hope they don't pull an Army, and leave in a few years.

I would not be upset about that is thy did, but Navy has proven to be in a much better situation football-wise than Army
07-28-2015 08:17 AM
Advertisement

FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
There is so much that could happen, but I still think Navy is a piece in a larger contingency plan for the American. Hold for now, to see how any possible expansion plays out, maybe the American loses a team or four, maybe they inherit a team or three from a defunct Big12. If things remain as is Navy could be the first piece in attempting to lure the remaining academies on board.
07-28-2015 08:22 AM
NavyHusker Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Navy
There is a significant difference between Army's C-USA decisions & Navy's AAC decisions.

When Army joined C-USA, conference membership was optional, thus going back to being independent wasn't a huge risk. They simply went back to being independent & scheduling out games.

Navy has/had never been in a conference & is joining/joined the AAC because of the changes in the NCAA landscape. With the growing conferences wanting more conference games for TV contracts, it was becoming more and more difficult for Navy to schedule a full slate of games as an independent since most teams had fewer OOC games to schedule.

BYU is facing similar issues.
Quote:However, even with the flexibility to schedule any opponent it wants and an exclusive contract with ESPN, Director of Athletics Tom Holmoe admitted the Cougars have hard a time getting teams to play against them when the calendar shifts to November.
I'm not sure how long Army will be able to remain an independent. I really doubt Navy will be leaving the AAC unless there are additional radical changes to the NCAA landscape like what conference expansion caused.
07-29-2015 11:22 AM
Advertisement

Gaetano01 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Navy
A good comparison of Navy's decision to join the AAC vs Army's CUSA experience ... Very different context behind the 2 moves.

http://thebirddogblog.com/2015/06/10/wha...-american/
07-29-2015 12:06 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
Nice to see Navy fans making their way over to these boards! Would love more insight into the Academies that currently isn't present.
07-29-2015 12:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.