Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Toledo subsidizes sports less than all other Ohio MAC schools
Bookmark and Share
Sleepy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Toledo subsidizes sports less than all other Ohio MAC schools
But for 2013-14, "the subsidy averaged out to $687 a year for every student on campus." Tough stuff to explain to a struggling student who is working full time and taking out loans to pay for a college education and maybe trying to support a family also.

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/ind...cart_river
07-25-2015 04:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Toledo subsidizes sports less than all other Ohio MAC schools
You explain it this way:
"Gets the name out there."
__% of our programs are sports management or medicine related.
You'd use it to get drunk. Miss class. Fail, wasting the entire tuition dollar.
You had a free ticket to come socialize with your potential future professional connections, spouse and friends. Not interested in traditions and socializing? Go here University of I Don't Need People

Not every University or university type is for everyone. Someone coming in to a university should know what they're paying and if it's important, what they're paying for. If a university finds its sports programs cost more than they gain, they will become a different university or they will die.

It's fair enough for the student population to complain and even try to do something about "fees" and it behooves a GOOD administration to be clear on these things, lay out the benefits.
07-25-2015 08:10 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
I probably spent $687 a year at the Stein N Pitcher alone.
07-26-2015 12:23 AM
Advertisement

Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

This article will be the ammunition the academic side of several universities in the MAC will need to make cuts. In all reality the most subsidized programs are taking money from the academic side and there is intense pressure to keep tuition low. Any MAC school that has more than 16 sports programs and is heavily subsidized will be making cuts just like Akron is doing now and that is everyone except UT and Ohio.
07-26-2015 11:31 AM
toledobigmike Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
My first quarter at UT cost $690 for FT (12hrs).
07-26-2015 11:53 AM
Advertisement

Rocket_Tree Offline
2nd String

Um, isn't admission to the home games still free to students at UT? Many other schools charge students to attend games. Consider it as a season pass, $687 for a season pass to 16 - D1 sports, good price. It's a bargain.
07-28-2015 03:35 PM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
(07-28-2015 03:35 PM)Rocket_Tree Wrote:  Um, isn't admission to the home games still free to students at UT? Many other schools charge students to attend games. Consider it as a season pass, $687 for a season pass to 16 - D1 sports, good price. It's a bargain.

Student fees that go towards sports are an exchange for free tickets.

Student fees also go to the use of the Rec Center, Library, etc.
07-28-2015 04:54 PM
Advertisement

northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-26-2015 11:31 AM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  This article will be the ammunition the academic side of several universities in the MAC will need to make cuts. In all reality the most subsidized programs are taking money from the academic side and there is intense pressure to keep tuition low. Any MAC school that has more than 16 sports programs and is heavily subsidized will be making cuts just like Akron is doing now and that is everyone except UT and Ohio.

That assumes that any reduction in athletic subsidies would be reprogrammed to academic programs, but there's no evidence that would happen. More likely the money would just be cut from the budget all together. Since intercollegiate sports are the biggest source of advertising most schools have, reduction in that could turn into lower enrollments and less revenue overall, not to mention the potential reduction in donations. It's not a simple one-for-one trade.

In fact I came across this article recently:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-mac-es...story.html
which talks about athletic subsidies by conference. It's interesting to note that the conferences with the highest athletic subsidies are the smallest conferences.
07-28-2015 06:21 PM
Rocket_Tree Offline
2nd String

(07-28-2015 04:54 PM)Terry Wrote:  Student fees that go towards sports are an exchange for free tickets.

Good point, considering the services you get in exchange at Toledo, it is really a nominal fee. They provide top notch facilities for all students out of these fees.
07-29-2015 09:08 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(07-29-2015 09:08 AM)Rocket_Tree Wrote:  
(07-28-2015 04:54 PM)Terry Wrote:  Student fees that go towards sports are an exchange for free tickets.

Good point, considering the services you get in exchange at Toledo, it is really a nominal fee. They provide top notch facilities for all students out of these fees.

Student Health Services was also a bargain. I use to pick up my health insurance through UT, which was a much lower rate.
07-29-2015 09:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.