Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT-FCC approved AT&T buying Direct TV
Bookmark and Share
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
OT-FCC approved AT&T buying Direct TV
I know a lot of posters on here use Direct TV, curious to know what this means for us DIrect TV customers? I hope prices will not go up because of this....

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireSto...c-32669192
07-24-2015 02:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rojogrande Offline
1st String

RE: OT-FCC approved AT&T buying Direct TV
I work for the largest marketing and advertising company in the U.S. that sales direct tv. It should not increase your prices at all from what I have heard. In fact it should drive them down. I know my sales office is excited because it means that we will able to bundle cell phone, home phone, and Internet, with Direct TV to combat these cable companies like Comcast, Charter, and TWC (soon to be bought out by charter) that constantly increase prices on customers and gouge their rates. The whole point of this merger is to be able to bundle the direct tv television with the other AT&T services. Direct TV will still keep its own board of governors from my understanding. AT&T will just become the parent company.
07-24-2015 03:13 PM
Migser31 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UTSA
How does it affect AT&T's U-Verse service is what I want to know. Where they offer U-Verse will they kill DirecTV or, visa versa, since they have DirecTV will they not deploy U-Verse? I had U-Verse for many years but their prices kept going up and their service went the opposite direction. I moved to DirecTV to get away from them.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
07-24-2015 05:01 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
One condition of approval was they had to eliminate broadband data caps.

They also had to agree to expand their fiber network. If history tells us anything, they will do the first anyway and not do the second and receive no punishment.
07-24-2015 05:31 PM
HarborPointe Online
North American Champion

I Root For: Southern Miss
As a long-time customer of both AT&T and DirecTV, I wanted AT&T to stay as far the heck away from DirecTV as possible. This is like hearing Santa's workshop is being taken over by the IRS.
07-24-2015 07:46 PM
Rojogrande Offline
1st String

(07-24-2015 05:01 PM)Migser31 Wrote:  How does it affect AT&T's U-Verse service is what I want to know. Where they offer U-Verse will they kill DirecTV or, visa versa, since they have DirecTV will they not deploy U-Verse? I had U-Verse for many years but their prices kept going up and their service went the opposite direction. I moved to DirecTV to get away from them.

Part of the reason AT&T is acquiring Direct is because of the U-verse product not being as successful as they had hoped. My understanding is they will still offer U-verse, but they will push Direct more. AT&T's own CEO came out and said that U-verse was an inferior product to what Direct had to offer. AT&T stores are already pushing Direct and their techs are already being trained to install Direct as well.

AT&T will continue to push its fiber network to combat the cable company monopolies in areas to give people options for service. Here in Bowling Green, Time Warner has a virtual monopoly on Internet for this area.

I can offer some advice to all of you though that may think of switching to Direct TV from your current provider. Buy it from a sales rep in either a Sam's Club, Best Buy, Costco, Menards, Walmart or Fred Meijer's. You can get better deals through those reps then you can calling Direct yourself or going through AT&T.
07-24-2015 07:52 PM
Advertisement

NTTHOR Offline
1st String

I Root For: NORTH TEXAS
Give me uverse over directv anyday...in storms it doesn't go out...snow accumulation o the dish doesn't have to be ckeaned...I've been damn happy with uverse for almost a 7 years
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2015 09:28 PM by NTTHOR.)
07-24-2015 09:28 PM
SATXBOSSMAN Offline
Special Teams

I hate satellite dishes. Especially on my house. Uverse has been good to me.
07-24-2015 09:40 PM
Migser31 Offline
2nd String

(07-24-2015 09:28 PM)NTTHOR Wrote:  Give me uverse over directv anyday...in storms it doesn't go out...snow accumulation o the dish doesn't have to be ckeaned...I've been damn happy with uverse for almost a 7 years
Snow, please explain this thing called snow. In San Antonio we barely understand storms. A couple times every couple years I lose my signal because of storms. I had U-Verse for many years, the pixalated screen whenever there was fast movement the terrible HD quality. I'm much happier with DirecTV.

07-24-2015 10:33 PM
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall
Love Directv. Hate anything AT&T.
07-24-2015 11:14 PM
NTTHOR Offline
1st String

Re: RE: OT-FCC approved AT&T buying Direct TV
(07-24-2015 10:33 PM)Migser31 Wrote:  
(07-24-2015 09:28 PM)NTTHOR Wrote:  Give me uverse over directv anyday...in storms it doesn't go out...snow accumulation o the dish doesn't have to be ckeaned...I've been damn happy with uverse for almost a 7 years
Snow, please explain this thing called snow. In San Antonio we barely understand storms. A couple times every couple years I lose my signal because of storms. I had U-Verse for many years, the pixalated screen whenever there was fast movement the terrible HD quality. I'm much happier with DirecTV.

Different strokes for different folks...never had any issues with uverse.. don't want to deal with a satellite signal...too many things can interrupt it...guess I've been lucky with uverse...now, it's not perfect, but it's what I need

I grew up in corpus...ya, snow is a rarity in south texas...but denton...we get plenty every year
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2015 11:23 PM by NTTHOR.)
07-24-2015 11:22 PM
Advertisement

BlueRaiderBoy Offline
All American

I Root For: MTSU
Lord:

Please don't let AT&T screw up my Direct TV, or raise my rates, or discontinue my college football sports package. And, let every CUSA Game be on every subscriber's TV (and break their remotes if they even attempt to change the channel) during Prime Time! And Finally, Lord because we know you love AT&T better than any other company in the world, make them extend their Fiber optic magic throughout the land.

Amen01-ncaabbs
07-25-2015 10:00 AM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(07-24-2015 11:22 PM)NTTHOR Wrote:  

Different strokes for different folks...never had any issues with uverse.. don't want to deal with a satellite signal...too many things can interrupt it...guess I've been lucky with uverse...now, it's not perfect, but it's what I need

I grew up in corpus...ya, snow is a rarity in south texas...but denton...we get plenty every year

Denton, Texas? the couple inches we get a year is not a issue with satellite dishes maybe freezing rain but I have never had an issue with that either.
07-25-2015 12:16 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(07-24-2015 07:46 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  As a long-time customer of both AT&T and DirecTV, I wanted AT&T to stay as far the heck away from DirecTV as possible. This is like hearing Santa's workshop is being taken over by the IRS.

Or by the postal service.03-lmfao
07-25-2015 12:43 PM
ECMAN79 Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
(07-24-2015 07:52 PM)Rojogrande Wrote:  
(07-24-2015 05:01 PM)Migser31 Wrote:  How does it affect AT&T's U-Verse service is what I want to know. Where they offer U-Verse will they kill DirecTV or, visa versa, since they have DirecTV will they not deploy U-Verse? I had U-Verse for many years but their prices kept going up and their service went the opposite direction. I moved to DirecTV to get away from them.

Part of the reason AT&T is acquiring Direct is because of the U-verse product not being as successful as they had hoped. My understanding is they will still offer U-verse, but they will push Direct more. AT&T's own CEO came out and said that U-verse was an inferior product to what Direct had to offer. AT&T stores are already pushing Direct and their techs are already being trained to install Direct as well.

AT&T will continue to push its fiber network to combat the cable company monopolies in areas to give people options for service. Here in Bowling Green, Time Warner has a virtual monopoly on Internet for this area.

I can offer some advice to all of you though that may think of switching to Direct TV from your current provider. Buy it from a sales rep in either a Sam's Club, Best Buy, Costco, Menards, Walmart or Fred Meijer's. You can get better deals through those reps then you can calling Direct yourself or going through AT&T.

i've been a 10 year subscriber to Direct TV now. My NFL Sunday ticket just got renewed a few days ago. 41.99 per month for 6 months. I called customer service today, and asked to be transferred to "retention department". Spoke to the girl for a bit and ended up getting the NFL Sunday Ticket completely free for 6 months, 3 months free hbo/showtime/cinemax, and my sports pak free. so....my bill dropped to like 82 bucks a month. i have the choice package at 70.99/month plus 10 for the hd receiver. those 2 prices plus tax/fees is what i'm gonna be paying. i also happen to have AT*T and just got a whole new deal with them today. If i can get internet through Direct in the future and do a bundle of all 3 for like 150 bucks a month, i'll be sold.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2015 11:54 PM by ECMAN79.)
07-25-2015 11:53 PM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
Quite likely that the Pac 12 Network finally now makes it to DirecTV. AT&T has been a long time Pac 12 marketing partner.
07-26-2015 09:44 AM
Advertisement

Rojogrande Offline
1st String

(07-25-2015 11:53 PM)ECMAN79 Wrote:  
(07-24-2015 07:52 PM)Rojogrande Wrote:  

i've been a 10 year subscriber to Direct TV now. My NFL Sunday ticket just got renewed a few days ago. 41.99 per month for 6 months. I called customer service today, and asked to be transferred to "retention department". Spoke to the girl for a bit and ended up getting the NFL Sunday Ticket completely free for 6 months, 3 months free hbo/showtime/cinemax, and my sports pak free. so....my bill dropped to like 82 bucks a month. i have the choice package at 70.99/month plus 10 for the hd receiver. those 2 prices plus tax/fees is what i'm gonna be paying. i also happen to have AT*T and just got a whole new deal with them today. If i can get internet through Direct in the future and do a bundle of all 3 for like 150 bucks a month, i'll be sold.

Nice! I tell existing customers all the time about the retention department. A lot of people don't know to ask for it. But they will give existing customers some sweet deals sometimes and upgrade their service and equipment. NFL Sunday ticket is free for all new customers right now on Choice package or higher. I have the Xtra package and it gets me every WKU game that I can't attend. The HD quality is second to none.

As someone who not only sales Direct, but also who is a subscriber. I am excited about the merger as long as AT&T doesn't screw it up. And from what I have heard they don't want to fix something that isn't broke.
07-26-2015 02:33 PM
Tintin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
Direct TV is a much superior product that Uverse. I just switched to Uverse, but am saving $60 a month.
07-26-2015 02:56 PM
NTTHOR Offline
1st String

Re: RE: OT-FCC approved AT&T buying Direct TV
(07-25-2015 12:16 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  
(07-24-2015 11:22 PM)NTTHOR Wrote:  

Denton, Texas? the couple inches we get a year is not a issue with satellite dishes maybe freezing rain but I have never had an issue with that either.

Ya...when I had a dish, I always had to sweep off the snow from the dish...ot jacked with the transmission of signals...
07-26-2015 04:04 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
DirecTV is wonderful - had it for years and years after being almost one of their original subscribers (or at least one of the earlier ones). But viewing habits change over time and I switched to ala carte TV with Amazon Fire recently. Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime are plenty for me now plus watching a lot of my sports online. I did add Sling for the summer for the kids but once school starts back up again, I'll probably stop that service too.

Bottom line is things change over time and I think DirecTV needs to change its service a bit. If they offered more Alacarte selections, maybe I'd go back to them. But it does seem very silly to pay for 150 channels a month when you only watch 10-20 tops for the most part.
07-26-2015 10:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.