Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USM gets ANOTHER transfer (6'4 235 DE from Ok. St/Miami)
Bookmark and Share
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
USM gets ANOTHER transfer (6'4 235 DE from Ok. St/Miami)
Naim Mustafaa, 6'4 235 DE/OLB, originally signed with Miami-FL out of HS. Transferred to Oklahoma St. Now transferring to Southern Miss. Eligible IMMEDIATELY. I'm telling ya...with all the JUCO guys we've acquired as well as the Auburn LB/DE...we're gonna shock some teams this year.
07-23-2015 10:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: USM gets ANOTHER transfer (6'4 235 DE from Ok. St/Miami)
dont expect this one to contribute THIS year. If he does its a bonus.
07-23-2015 10:45 PM
USMSTUD Offline
Banned

(07-23-2015 10:26 PM)TTT Wrote:  Naim Mustafaa, 6'4 235 DE/OLB, originally signed with Miami-FL out of HS. Transferred to Oklahoma St. Now transferring to Southern Miss. Eligible IMMEDIATELY. I'm telling ya...with all the JUCO guys we've acquired as well as the Auburn LB/DE...we're gonna shock some teams this year.

You have it backwards. Signed with OSU and then transferred to Miami. Didn't stick around long at either one and was out of football last year.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 11:08 PM by USMSTUD.)
07-23-2015 11:07 PM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-23-2015 10:26 PM)TTT Wrote:  Naim Mustafaa, 6'4 235 DE/OLB, originally signed with Miami-FL out of HS. Transferred to Oklahoma St. Now transferring to Southern Miss. Eligible IMMEDIATELY. I'm telling ya...with all the JUCO guys we've acquired as well as the Auburn LB/DE...we're gonna shock some teams this year.

USM did not establish its tradition of winning seasons by bringing in transfers. We can use anyone out there that is available now but must soon wean ourselves from this practice.
07-24-2015 07:45 AM
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

(07-24-2015 07:45 AM)eager eagle Wrote:  

USM did not establish its tradition of winning seasons by bringing in transfers. We can use anyone out there that is available now but must soon wean ourselves from this practice.

The staff knows we lack talent on defense. We need players.
07-24-2015 08:27 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I don't know if this guy is good like the other transfer is, but worst case he is depth.

Looking forward to seeing USM play this year. Glad I get to see your program play in person this season, even if you are coming into Charlotte during/coming off of one of your worst periods in team history.
07-24-2015 08:37 AM
NueDaeEagle Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: USM

He was also a 4 star recruit. We will have several new players that will contribute significantly this year both on O and D. It has not been since our 12-2 team since we have had this kind of depth. We are turning the corner. SMTTT
07-24-2015 10:34 AM
Advertisement

Eagleholic Offline
1st String

I am cautiously optimistic about this guy. I hope it works out for him and he becomes a great player at Southern Miss, but his track record is not very good when it comes to staying around very long.
07-24-2015 10:48 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
I know y'all like to blame the last 3 years on Ellis Johnson, but he was only there for a few months. It seems to me that Fedora dropped the ball recruiting for your future? Ellis only had 1 class didn't he?
07-24-2015 10:53 AM
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

(07-24-2015 10:53 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  I know y'all like to blame the last 3 years on Ellis Johnson, but he was only there for a few months. It seems to me that Fedora dropped the ball recruiting for your future? Ellis only had 1 class didn't he?

He only had one recruiting class, but he ran off a good number of Fedora's players, and the others regressed ALOT under his coaching and the S&C coach that he brought in. He demoralized and basically ruined quite a few players college football experience and killed their desire to play the game.

Things are finally getting back to way they should be. This will be Monken's first season with close to 85 scholarship players available. We were not much above FCS scholarship level his 1st season and played approximately 20 true frosh that year with many of those starting. It's gonna be nice to finally get out of that hole!
07-24-2015 11:01 AM
Advertisement

TTT Offline
#SMTTT

(07-24-2015 10:53 AM)T_Won1 Wrote:  I know y'all like to blame the last 3 years on Ellis Johnson, but he was only there for a few months. It seems to me that Fedora dropped the ball recruiting for your future? Ellis only had 1 class didn't he?

You're absolutely wrong on this. Fedora did not drop the ball. Fedora did not leave the cupboard bare. Elloss Johnson was just a horrible coach who made horrible decisions in EVERY aspect of his job as HC. When Fedora (a young energetic rah-rah in your face coach) left we hired a 90 year old DINOSAUR of a coach who (when first meeting the team) said "No walkman's allowed in the locker room"<---literally, I'm not making that up, he really said that....so half of the team/recruits/commits said "ummm...no thanks" and either transferred/de-committed. And we had some GOOD commits and some GOOD players who transferred. Lots of people claim or tend to think that L-Fed left the cupboard dry but let em remind you of how "dry" that cupboard was and who it included: Jamie Collins (now w/ Patriots), Khyri Thornton (now with Packers) Rakeem Nunez now with the Chiefs), Daz McCullum (now praciticing w/ the Redskins)<----this just re-enforces the notion of how HORRIBLE of a coach and staff we had under Elloss Johnson.

In summation, Elloss Johnson ran off almost every decent player on the team.....meanwhile, hired a HORRIBLE staff who didn't know how to coach and MOST IMPORTANTLY HIRED A STRENGTH COACH who hadn't been involved w/ D1 athletics since the 80's.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2015 11:39 AM by TTT.)
07-24-2015 11:37 AM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

(07-24-2015 07:45 AM)eager eagle Wrote:  

Have you ever heard of the phrase "stop the bleeding".

We are STILL feeling the affects of Elloss Johnson. Essentially, we were put on the death penalty with the hire of that incompetent dinosaur.
07-24-2015 11:40 AM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

Recruiting wasn't the problem, attrition was. First off, a good few of Fedora's last class never made it to campus because they either followed him to UNC or bailed to go elsewhere after Johnson was hired.

Then, as Eagleholic & TTT already covered, Johnson caused a lot of guys to say, "F*** this noise," and they either quit and left or stayed and quit anyway. There are stories that at Johnson's first team meeting, he told them what they had accomplished in 2011 wasn't worth anything because they weren't playing the game correctly (i.e., like the SEC circa 1983). A group of seniors even approached the then-AD at mid-season begging for something to be done about the staff's sheer incompetence.

Then, you follow all that up with firing Johnson after one season and hiring another coach. Now most of Johnson's guys don't fit in, either.

Losing players here and there goes with the territory of making a coaching change. Our dumb asses went through 3 different coaches in as many years with each HC being the polar opposite in terms of philosophy of the guy before and with very little stability among the assistants to boot.

Sometimes I wonder if we'd have been better off just letting Johnson ride out another year or 2 of his contract and do his thing with his players--however bad that may have been--instead of making the correction that suddenly and leaving a decimated roster in its wake. 0-12 really didn't allow that to be an option, though.
07-24-2015 11:52 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Thanks for the info guys. I didn't know about the attrition. I expect USM to turn it around very quickly.
07-24-2015 12:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.