Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

G5 Blogger Proposes Merger between C-USA and Sun Belt
Bookmark and Share
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
G5 Blogger Proposes Merger between C-USA and Sun Belt
I subscribe to, and enjoy -- for the most part -- the G5 Conference News Blog. But one of the posts this morning baffles me as it offers a suggestion -- seemingly recommended for serious consideration and discussion -- for the new C-USA Commissioner to enter into negotiations with the Sun Belt to merge.

See http://g5conferencenews.blogspot.com/201...nd+Talk%29

Sure, I've seen the idea of more regional conferences come up in the past, but not in this way. The blogger proposes that this is one of 4 "agenda items that the new Commissioner should begin to address on day 1."

I'm not sure that I agree with discussing a merger/consolidation of the two conferences. Yes, there are similar footprints, but I think what is most needed is stability in both conferences and giving our schools a chance to grow into their potential. For C-USA, can you imagine how solid this conference would be if schools like FIU, UTSA, ODU (to name only three of several) grow into their full potential.

With only one way game per year with a member of the West Division (or vice-versa) our structure is already regionalized to a great extent. And our basketball structure would also take a hit. We have strong BB talent on both sides of the Conference. I wouldn't want to change it.

Thoughts?
07-21-2015 07:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
RE: G5 Blogger Proposes Merger between C-USA and Sun Belt
(07-21-2015 07:07 AM)Cnelson203 Wrote:  I subscribe to, and enjoy -- for the most part -- the G5 Conference News Blog. But one of the posts this morning baffles me as it offers a suggestion -- seemingly recommended for serious consideration and discussion -- for the new C-USA Commissioner to enter into negotiations with the Sun Belt to merge.

See http://g5conferencenews.blogspot.com/201...nd+Talk%29

Sure, I've seen the idea of more regional conferences come up in the past, but not in this way. The blogger proposes that this is one of 4 "agenda items that the new Commissioner should begin to address on day 1."

I'm not sure that I agree with discussing a merger/consolidation of the two conferences. Yes, there are similar footprints, but I think what is most needed is stability in both conferences and giving our schools a chance to grow into their potential. For C-USA, can you imagine how solid this conference would be if schools like FIU, UTSA, ODU (to name only three of several) grow into their full potential.

With only one way game per year with a member of the West Division (or vice-versa) our structure is already regionalized to a great extent. And our basketball structure would also take a hit. We have strong BB talent on both sides of the Conference. I wouldn't want to change it.

Thoughts?

First, I'll go out on a limb and say the blogger is likely a fan of the AAC. A number of them are constantly harping on this idea.

Second, it would be a good idea to take the best schools from the SBC eventually but not merge the two entirely.
07-21-2015 07:24 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
It would be better for CUSA to merge with the AAC than the Sun Belt. But I don't think a merger with either will happen, or will even be part of an agenda. Too many schools.
07-21-2015 07:25 AM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
Ugh. Doing so would further dilute and diminish CUSA. Merging with the Sun Belt would be a disaster for the conference in almost every sport, and would see a further decline in our conference RPI.
07-21-2015 07:25 AM
topper1296 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
I might be willing to pick a few of the stronger programs if they would add value in terms of competition and financially, but a complete merger . . . .
[Image: shark.jpg]
07-21-2015 07:29 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
This is an idea that should die a slow, painful death -- OK, a fast, painful death.
07-21-2015 07:39 AM
Advertisement

OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
From a geographic and adding to our marketplace point of view the 2 programs I would want would be:

1. stAte
2. Ga Southern/Ga State

Both get us into states that we do not have a presence in. If only only one was an option I would pick stAte because they are the only other FBS team in that state other then Arkansas, and I like what they have done with thier program.
07-21-2015 07:40 AM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(07-21-2015 07:40 AM)OwlFamily Wrote:  From a geographic and adding to our marketplace point of view the 2 programs I would want would be:

1. stAte
2. Ga Southern/Ga State

Both get us into states that we do not have a presence in. If only only one was an option I would pick stAte because they are the only other FBS team in that state other then Arkansas, and I like what they have done with thier program.

Ugh. Kill me now. 03-banghead
07-21-2015 07:44 AM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
(07-21-2015 07:44 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(07-21-2015 07:40 AM)OwlFamily Wrote:  From a geographic and adding to our marketplace point of view the 2 programs I would want would be:

1. stAte
2. Ga Southern/Ga State

Ugh. Kill me now. 03-banghead

I dont want to do it, but if it was decided by CUSA leadership then those 2 I think provide the most upside across all fronts. stAte has had some good success and a unique brand IMHO. I am undecidedon whether GASO or GAState would be better. GAstate would probably help with TV for being in the Atlanta TV market, but GASouth is clearly the stronger program for the moment.
07-21-2015 07:48 AM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
We need to have patience on this one. For all we know, the BIG12 could expand to 14 by taking Cincy, Memphis, UCF, and UH. That would leave the AAC with 8 members, possibly making it more practical to merge with what's left. You never know.

I will say that there are some good programs in the Sun Belt, and I do agree that some merging will need to happen within the G5 at some point. We can't afford to be as dispersed as we are right now. It doesn't make any sense in the long term.
07-21-2015 07:55 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
As an AAC fan, I see no good for CUSA or the Belt in this idea.
07-21-2015 08:10 AM
Advertisement

USMSTUD Offline
Banned

I Root For: Southern Miss
It will never happen and the main reason is money.
07-21-2015 08:35 AM
Noodles Offline
All American

Our per-team payments would plummet, wouldn't they? How would we make more money per team by adding schools that are being paid a tiny fraction of what we are currently getting. Even if our TV contract takes a nosedive, we'd still be far ahead of the Belt. A merger would do what for us, exactly, financially speaking?
07-21-2015 09:32 AM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
There's no benefit to C-USA teams either as a conference or individually to do this; nor is there any advantage to the Sun Belt as a group to do this. One less G5 conference voting in the NCAA, one less chance for a G5 conference championship. No thanks.
07-21-2015 10:03 AM
HoustonCajun Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana
(07-21-2015 09:32 AM)Noodles Wrote:  Our per-team payments would plummet, wouldn't they? How would we make more money per team by adding schools that are being paid a tiny fraction of what we are currently getting. Even if our TV contract takes a nosedive, we'd still be far ahead of the Belt. A merger would do what for us, exactly, financially speaking?

I agree. A complete merger makes no sense. Too many teams. But, a split of the two conferences along geographic lines does make sense from a rivalry, travel, expense, attendance, fan and network appeal standpoint.

Western Conference

Rice, UTEP, NMSU, UTSA, Texas State, N. Texas, LA Tech, Ark State, USA, Louisiana, USM

Eastern Conference

Marshall, Charlotte, ODU, GA Southern, App State, GA State, FIU, FAU, MT, WKU, Troy, UAB
07-21-2015 10:08 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Or throw the AAC in too....

Conference 1

SMU - North Texas
Houston - Rice
UTSA - Texas St
Tulsa - Arkansas St
La Tech - ULM
ULL - Tulane

Conference 2

USF - UCF
FIU - FAU
Ga Southern - Ga State
UAB - Southern Miss
MTSU - Memphis
S. Alabama - Troy

Conference 3

Uconn - Temple
ECU - ODU
Navy - Cincinnati
Charlotte - App St
WKU - Marshall

* UTEP, NM State, and Idaho to MWC.

Or just leave everyone alone. It doesn't really matter.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2015 10:22 AM by T_Won1.)
07-21-2015 10:19 AM
Advertisement

Artifice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Beer
That blog is run by an AAC fan and periodically makes ridiculous criticisms or suggestions about CUSA.

Same writer has also gleefully predicted doom for the CUSA TV contract.

It's drivel.
07-21-2015 10:23 AM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
No.
07-21-2015 10:53 AM
NueDaeEagle Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: USM
(07-21-2015 10:23 AM)Artifice Wrote:  That blog is run by an AAC fan and periodically makes ridiculous criticisms or suggestions about CUSA.

Same writer has also gleefully predicted doom for the CUSA TV contract.

It's drivel.

Yep, it's obvious it comes from an AAC fan who is scared that CUSA has overtaken the AAC. The AAC is going downhill. The only thing they have is the past and some good bowl affiliations.04-chairshot
07-21-2015 11:12 AM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

I'd be all for lifting all exit and entrance fees within the G5 and giving everyone a year to shuffle and congregate however they care to without penalty, but merging would be ridiculous. 14 members is pushing the limits of what can legitimately be called a conference. 16 amounts to just 2 groups of 8 that have each other's phone numbers. 20+ would essentially be a new subdivision.
07-21-2015 11:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.