Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Its Never Too Early To Talk Bowls--AAC Website
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Nothing really new, but its a nice recap of our bowl destinations for this year and the opponents.

Aside from the opportunity with the New Year's Bowls, teams from The American will have contracted slots with seven bowl games in 2015. The formula for the conference when setting these matchups is to create as many quality matchups as possible and to do so in desirable locations that are easily accessible for fans.

With that in mind, The American will face opponents from the SEC, ACC, Mountain West, Conference USA, MAC and Sun Belt in the 2015 postseason. And the games will be played in such locales as Honolulu, Boca Raton, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg, among others. OK, Hawaii, doesn't quite fit into the "easily accessible" category, but do we really need to be sold on a trip to Honolulu in late December?

http://theamerican.org/news/2015/7/3/FB_0703152541.aspx
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2015 01:53 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-03-2015 01:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
RE: Its Never Too Early To Talk Bowls--AAC Website
So in theory:

#1 - G5 Access Bowl
#2/#3 divide Birmingham (SEC) and Military (ACC) based off geography
#4 (or honorable mention) gets a trip to Hawai'i to face the MWC

Is that really so bad for our top 4 teams? (Assuming we earn it)
07-03-2015 02:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(07-03-2015 01:52 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Nothing really new, but its a nice recap of our bowl destinations for this year and the opponents.

Aside from the opportunity with the New Year's Bowls, teams from The American will have contracted slots with seven bowl games in 2015. The formula for the conference when setting these matchups is to create as many quality matchups as possible and to do so in desirable locations that are easily accessible for fans.

With that in mind, The American will face opponents from the SEC, ACC, Mountain West, Conference USA, MAC and Sun Belt in the 2015 postseason. And the games will be played in such locales as Honolulu, Boca Raton, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg, among others. OK, Hawaii, doesn't quite fit into the "easily accessible" category, but do we really need to be sold on a trip to Honolulu in late December?

"The formula for the conference when setting these match ups is to create as many quality match ups as possible and to do so in desirable locations that are easily accessible for fans."
Your quote begs an answer or two:
1. Is there a conference where this doesn't apply?(Quality match ups in quality locations)
2. Did the conference (Aresco) achieve this? (Quality match ups in quality locations)

My answer to both questions is No. What's yours?
07-03-2015 03:15 PM
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(07-03-2015 02:08 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  So in theory:

#1 - G5 Access Bowl
#2/#3 divide Birmingham (SEC) and Military (ACC) based off geography
#4 (or honorable mention) gets a trip to Hawai'i to face the MWC

Is that really so bad for our top 4 teams? (Assuming we earn it)

Hawaii bowl has 50% chance of having BYU.
Miami Beach bowl has (IMO) a 50% or greater chance of having an ACC team.
07-03-2015 06:03 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(07-03-2015 03:15 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(07-03-2015 01:52 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Nothing really new, but its a nice recap of our bowl destinations for this year and the opponents.

"The formula for the conference when setting these match ups is to create as many quality match ups as possible and to do so in desirable locations that are easily accessible for fans."
1. Is there a conference where this doesn't apply?(Quality match ups in quality locations)
2. Did the conference (Aresco) achieve this? (Quality match ups in quality locations)

The bowl line up sucks if that's what you are asking. It sucks less than the other G5's---but it sucks none the less. Ive said it many times, but it bears repeating. If we REALLY are concerned about having the conference perceived as a "P6" conference, the easiest way to make it true is to simply create your own major bowl. You do that by investing enough money in a bowl so that the pay out is sufficient to attract a tie to a significant P5 opponent. If winning a conference means you play in the same level of bowl as the 5th place team in your conference---then winning your conference doesn't mean very much. Why should the general public care who wins your conference if it doesn't really mean anything? The hallmark of a major conference is a guaranteed major bowl destination for its champ. It really doesn't even need to be an access bowl---it just has to be against a #2-4 finisher in a traditional power conference to give it gravitas. That's going to generally be a ranked team. That's a quality bowl destination. That's something for the general public to actually care a bit about.

Its going to cost about 3 million a year. In reality, it will be much less than that because the better P5 opponent will generate increased income from the TV rights, ticket sales, and sponsorship agreements. That income should at least offset most of the cost. In fact, if the bowl is handled efficiently, there is no reason such a bowl wouldn't be profitable (all the other major bowls make money---why wouldn't this one?). When we do something like that, then I'll believe the schools of the AAC are really serious about building the AAC into a P6 league---or at least a "tweener" league. Until then, fans can gritch all they want, but inaction by their own school (in conjunction with all the other members including my own school) is part of the problem.

Rant complete. Shutting down and preparing to restart in "happy mode" for 4th of July.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2015 07:43 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-03-2015 07:08 PM
Advertisement

mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
I just want the Cure Bowl... nothing would end my season better then to be up in UCF territory waiving my USF banner and grabbing a drink at Caseys on 5th before stumbling over to the game.
07-03-2015 07:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(07-03-2015 07:08 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(07-03-2015 03:15 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

The bowl line up sucks if that's what you are asking. It sucks less than the other G5's---but it sucks none the less. Ive said it many times, but it bears repeating. If we REALLY are concerned about having the conference perceived as a "P6" conference, the easiest way to make it true is to simply create your own major bowl. You do that by investing enough money in a bowl so that the pay out is sufficient to attract a tie to a significant P5 opponent. If winning a conference means you play in the same level of bowl as the 5th place team in your conference---then winning your conference doesn't mean very much. Why should the general public care who wins your conference if it doesn't really mean anything? The hallmark of a major conference is a guaranteed major bowl destination for its champ. It really doesn't even need to be an access bowl---it just has to be against a #2-4 finisher in a traditional power conference to give it gravitas. That's going to generally be a ranked team. That's a quality bowl destination. That's something for the general public to actually care a bit about.

Its going to cost about 3 million a year. In reality, it will be much less than that because the better P5 opponent will generate increased income from the TV rights, ticket sales, and sponsorship agreements. That income should at least offset most of the cost. In fact, if the bowl is handled efficiently, there is no reason such a bowl wouldn't be profitable (all the other major bowls make money---why wouldn't this one?). When we do something like that, then I'll believe the schools of the AAC are really serious about building the AAC into a P6 league---or at least a "tweener" league. Until then, fans can gritch all they want, but inaction by their own school (in conjunction with all the other members including my own school) is part of the problem.

Rant complete. Shutting down and preparing to restart in "happy mode" for 4th of July.

me too brother...happy mode is best right now.i LL give it a break on my complaining about the bowl lineup. Happy 4th of July friend. Cheers!
07-03-2015 08:21 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
FWIW, I really hope an American team gets the Access slot this year while the Peach Bowl is still in play... next year the Peach and Fiesta host the playoffs so the G5 champ automatically goes to the Cotton bowl...

...come to think of it, I guess that wouldn't be so bad for some of you guys!
07-04-2015 08:02 AM
mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
(07-04-2015 08:02 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  FWIW, I really hope an American team gets the Access slot this year while the Peach Bowl is still in play... next year the Peach and Fiesta host the playoffs so the G5 champ automatically goes to the Cotton bowl...

...come to think of it, I guess that wouldn't be so bad for some of you guys!

I am kinda Pulling for Cinci or Houston/Memphis this year. We need a team to go basically undefeated. We just need to represent well in order to get a better contract in 2019.

For all the expansion talk, I still think there is a good chance were all still here when the new contract happens. We need at least 2 more Access bowl wins to really stake our claim.
07-04-2015 10:43 AM
Advertisement

NestaKnight1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(07-03-2015 07:25 PM)mtmedlin Wrote:  I just want the Cure Bowl... nothing would end my season better then to be up in UCF territory waiving my USF banner and grabbing a drink at Caseys on 5th before stumbling over to the game.

Yeah.........ummmm............good luck with that.
07-05-2015 07:32 AM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Article in Austin paper today about Austin Bowl

Is the Austin Bowl P5 versus P5?

It doesn't have to be. Id love to give the American Athletic Conference a shot to knock someone off. Tulsa, Houston's pretty good. The naval academy and Memphis beat a power five team.
07-05-2015 09:49 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(07-05-2015 09:49 AM)Pony94 Wrote:  Article in Austin paper today about Austin Bowl

Is the Austin Bowl P5 versus P5?

It doesn't have to be. Id love to give the American Athletic Conference a shot to knock someone off. Tulsa, Houston's pretty good. The naval academy and Memphis beat a power five team.

No it doesn't have to be...one could say its unlikely to get another P5 vs P5 in this bowl cycle. They'd have to get out of an existing bowl contract to make it happen. I say that's not possible. A deal is a deal. BUT, as fans on here have posted ad nauseam, there are provisions to get a "better" conference opponent for our bowl match ups that are already agreed on. (all the talk on dumping a G5 school for a P5 in Miami etc) I guess if we truly believe its possible for us to dump inferior opponents in our signed bowls, the P5 conferences can theoretically do the same to us. Cheers!
07-05-2015 05:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.