WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Phil Steele Forecast
Doo Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
Phil Steele Forecast
Magazines of course can only guess. But as magazines go most know Phil Steele's is generally the most "respected".

Has the Broncos 3rd in the West. Playing in the Bahamas Bowl v WKU.

In short...Hard to see an improvement in record with that schedule, but the upward trend in quality continues.
07-01-2015 10:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
RE: Phil Steele Forecast
(07-01-2015 10:17 AM)Doo Wrote:  Magazines of course can only guess. But as magazines go most know Phil Steele's is generally the most "respected".

Has the Broncos 3rd in the West. Playing in the Bahamas Bowl v WKU.

In short...Hard to see an improvement in record with that schedule, but the upward trend in quality continues.

Steele's Going Down(greater than an 84% chance of a weaker or same record):
#1 Washington
#2 WMU
#3 CMU
#4 ECU
#5 Miss State
#5 Duke

Going Up: No MAC teams
07-01-2015 10:54 AM
ColinApocalypse Offline

If we go less than 7-5 in regular season, I'll eat my hat.
07-01-2015 10:56 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(07-01-2015 10:56 AM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  If we go less than 7-5 in regular season, I'll eat my hat.

A few key injuries can change of season, but then that goes both ways. The opponents can have key injuries as well, as we saw with UT A FEW KEY INJURIES CAN CHANGE OF SEASON, BUT THEN THAT GOES BOTH WAYS. THE OPPONENTS CAN HAVE KEY INJURIES AS WELL
07-01-2015 11:22 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(07-01-2015 11:22 AM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 10:56 AM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  If we go less than 7-5 in regular season, I'll eat my hat.

A few key injuries can change of season, but then that goes both ways. The opponents can have key injuries as well, as we saw with UT A FEW KEY INJURIES CAN CHANGE OF SEASON, BUT THEN THAT GOES BOTH WAYS. THE OPPONENTS CAN HAVE KEY INJURIES AS WELL

UT losing 4 starters(QB, 1 DL, 2 DB's) for the season, starting RB and 1 OL(MAC POY) for several games only effected the final outcomes of the Iowa State and NIU games.Speaks to the depth of the team going 9-4.Back ups Swanson and Woodside were responsible for about 3,100 Yds of Offense.
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 12:13 PM by Boca Rocket.)
07-01-2015 12:12 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:If we go less than 7-5 in regular season, I'll eat my hat.

REALLY? I would be HAPPY AS HECK if we went 7-5. If we made 8-4, I wouldn't just eat my hat. I'd eat my condom!

@Ohio State
MSU
@NIU
@Toledo
@GA-Southern
[1-4 HIGH; 0-5 LOW]

BGSU [On their way Up with Johnson back at QB + HC's 2nd year]
@Ohio [Will be better; their better QB will be settled in]
BSU [They're on their way Up; thankfull at home]
[3-0 HIGH; 1-2 LOW]

Others: CMU, Miami, @EMU, Murray State [4-0]

HIGH: 8-4
LOW: 5-7
MOST LIKELY: 6-6
POSSIBLE: 7-5
07-01-2015 10:55 PM
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

My god todd... 03-puke
07-02-2015 08:49 AM
bostonbronco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-02-2015 08:49 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  My god todd... 03-puke

Todd's predictions are realistic.

What we as Broncos often suffer from is the emotional drop when our high expectations are not met.
07-02-2015 09:46 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
Why does everybody think Ball State this on the way up? They lost their best receiver and running back, And their quarterback got worse as the year went on.

Lembo can coach, but has struggled recruiting against WMU and Miami. They lack depth and have an unfavorable MAC schedule.

As for Ohio have they been in the East they would have finished no better than fifth
07-02-2015 10:12 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(07-02-2015 09:46 AM)bostonbronco Wrote:  
(07-02-2015 08:49 AM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  My god todd... 03-puke

Todd's predictions are realistic.

What we as Broncos often suffer from is the emotional drop when our high expectations are not met.

I wasn't referring to todd's predictions.... more along the lines of the "consequences" of his predictions.
07-02-2015 10:15 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(07-02-2015 09:46 AM)bostonbronco Wrote:  Todd's predictions are realistic.

Fleck in Athlon Sports CFB magazine: "We've done all the work to earn expectations."

We won five away games last season. In his third year we should be at the point where we can go on the road and beat Georgia Southern, NIU, or Toledo.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2015 10:42 AM by MajorHoople.)
07-02-2015 10:37 AM
Advertisement

goldsworth Offline
1st String

(07-02-2015 10:37 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  

Fleck in Athlon Sports CFB magazine: "We've done all the work to earn expectations."

We won five away games last season. In his third year we should be at the point where we can go on the road and beat Georgia Southern, NIU, or Toledo.

I believe WMU should win 2 of those three. I'm thinking Toledo will be the biggest challenge
07-02-2015 11:39 AM
GSUsTALON Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ga.Southern
(07-02-2015 10:37 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  

I hope WMU has a great year in the MAC beats Toledo & NIU on the road. With a GS win in Statesboro your mastery of the MAC will strengthen GSUs schedule & move use higher in the final rankings............. ;-)
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2015 12:18 PM by GSUsTALON.)
07-02-2015 12:15 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Steele's Top Non-Power 5 Teams for 2015:
1 Boise State
2 Marshall
3 San Diego State
4 Toledo Rockets
5 Louisiana Tech
6 UCinn
7 UCF
8 Temple
9 Memphis
10 NIU

Steele's 2015
Most Improved:
1 U Miami
2 Akron
3 Michigan
4 Pitt
5 Indiana
6 Temple
7 Texas
8 Northwestern
9 Ball State
10 Colorado
11 Ohio
12 CAL
13 MTSU
14 UMass
15 UNC
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2015 02:42 PM by Boca Rocket.)
07-02-2015 02:42 PM
The Colonel Offline
1st String

(07-01-2015 12:12 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  UT losing 4 starters(QB, 1 DL, 2 DB's) for the season, starting RB and 1 OL(MAC POY) for several games only effected the final outcomes of the Iowa State and NIU games.Speaks to the depth of the team going 9-4.Back ups Swanson and Woodside were responsible for about 3,100 Yds of Offense.

I'm a Phil Steele fan as well, but like any other preseason predictor, he gets some right and some wrong. For example, numerous times under Cubit he predicted WMU to win or tie for the MAC West title. Obviously - and unfortunately - we never achieved it.

Suppose Toledo fails to win the MAC West this season. At what point does Campbell begin to feel some heat from Rocket fans? I agree that WMU's 2013 season probably shouldn't have been as bad as it turned out, but at best that WMU team wouldn't have won more than a few games. Campbell, by comparison, inherited a program trending up thanks to Beckman's work and, at least in conference play, has yet to take Toledo to the next level (MACC appearance and MAC title).
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 12:21 AM by The Colonel.)
07-06-2015 12:19 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(07-06-2015 12:19 AM)The Colonel Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 12:12 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  UT losing 4 starters(QB, 1 DL, 2 DB's) for the season, starting RB and 1 OL(MAC POY) for several games only effected the final outcomes of the Iowa State and NIU games.Speaks to the depth of the team going 9-4.Back ups Swanson and Woodside were responsible for about 3,100 Yds of Offense.

I'm a Phil Steele fan as well, but like any other preseason predictor, he gets some right and some wrong. For example, numerous times under Cubit he predicted WMU to win or tie for the MAC West title. Obviously - and unfortunately - we never achieved it.

Suppose Toledo fails to win the MAC West this season. At what point does Campbell begin to feel some heat from Rocket fans? I agree that WMU's 2013 season probably shouldn't have been as bad as it turned out, but at best that WMU team wouldn't have won more than a few games. Campbell, by comparison, inherited a program trending up thanks to Beckman's work and, at least in conference play, has yet to take Toledo to the next level (MACC appearance and MAC title).

9+(including beating rival BGSU) wins,Co-MAC West title,Bowl wins, a winning % comparable to Pinkel's (best in school's history), along with better academics-I'm not seeing a lot of heat. First of all, Beckman inherited a decent QB and Eric Page. That was big. Rockets were a dink and dunk Offense under Beckman with a really bad defense. Campbell has changed that. Toledo's running game is inside the tackles with a bigger RB. The Defense was very good against the run last season. Passing game allowed yardage playing way off the receivers because of inexperienced personnel due to injury.You should see a big improvement in Jon Heacock's 2nd year as DC. This is Campbell's team now, most of the Beckman players are gone.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 04:14 AM by Boca Rocket.)
07-06-2015 04:14 AM
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:At what point does Campbell begin to feel some heat from Rocket fans?

If I'm a Toledo fan, I'd say last year was a bit of a pass -- injuries and whatnot while NIU regrouping -- but OK, that happens. But having WMU & NIU at home and this set to be a Good Year? I'd be giving Campbell some heat -- and telling him he better pick up an oar!

Toledo Fan Expectations:
Iowa State - W (If Iowa State ends up 5-7 or less this year; blew that game @Iowa State last year)
Arkansas State - W (This is at home; Good/decent Sun Belt team, but it's Sun Belt; like a run-of-mill bowl game but at home!)
@BSU - W (BSU's improved; this is a good marker to see how well they are)
@UMass - W (UMass is going to be Well Improved; Down to wire last year; Better Win)
NIU, WMU, @BGSU - 2W, 1L (3 Big Toughest Games -- Win 2 out of 3)

And Among the rest, (FCS, @Arkansas, Kent, EMU, @CMU): 4-1

So Altogether, I'm expecting to go 10-2. Given the Smooth schedule, I would say it'd take a 10-2 Toledo team to win the MAC West. A team that can beat a sub-.500 Iowa State team at home and upper-tier Sun Belt team at home + only 1 MAC Loss.

Quote:Campbell, by comparison, inherited a program trending up thanks to Beckman's work and, at least in conference play, has yet to take Toledo to the next level (MACC appearance and MAC title)

I agree. Last year was understandable with all their key injuries. So it's a "no excuses" time for them. Speaking of Beckman, I am rooting for Illinois this year. Beckman has had them improve from 2W-4W-6W, each of his years.

I want Beckman to have them at 7-5 this year for Illinois to let him at Least ride out his last year for next year. That way it'll be PJ vs Cubit in 2016. I am SOOOOO wanting that game.
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 07:01 AM by toddjnsn.)
07-06-2015 07:00 AM
The Colonel Offline
1st String

(07-06-2015 04:14 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  9+(including beating rival BGSU) wins,Co-MAC West title,Bowl wins, a winning % comparable to Pinkel's (best in school's history), along with better academics-I'm not seeing a lot of heat. First of all, Beckman inherited a decent QB and Eric Page. That was big. Rockets were a dink and dunk Offense under Beckman with a really bad defense. Campbell has changed that. Toledo's running game is inside the tackles with a bigger RB. The Defense was very good against the run last season. Passing game allowed yardage playing way off the receivers because of inexperienced personnel due to injury.You should see a big improvement in Jon Heacock's 2nd year as DC. This is Campbell's team now, most of the Beckman players are gone.

Fair enough. The bowl wins and the BG winning streak are certainly positives. I'm not saying Campbell should be feeling heat yet (nor do I think he's doing a bad job by any means) - just wondering if he'll start to feel some should Toledo come up short of their ultimate goals again this season.
07-06-2015 01:49 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Marshall will take a step back without Cato and Shuler. I don't see them being the 2nd best G5 team. And if Toledo is better than NIU this year it will be just barely - looking at the list he has Toledo several places higher. And Temple's always over-rated.
07-06-2015 02:08 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(07-06-2015 02:08 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Marshall will take a step back without Cato and Shuler. I don't see them being the 2nd best G5 team. And if Toledo is better than NIU this year it will be just barely - looking at the list he has Toledo several places higher. And Temple's always over-rated.

Don't underestimate Ely at QB.
07-06-2015 03:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.