WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Akron Attendance Woes
BCBronco Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
Akron Attendance Woes
http://www.ohio.com/news/local/universit...n-1.603992

Worst attendance in the nation, hard to imagine that emu is better. Been to an emu game, there were more people playing the game than watching the game.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2015 09:10 AM by BCBronco.)
06-29-2015 09:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SilentStryk09 Offline
Heisman

RE: Akron Attendance Woes
That's because the thousands of seats pepsi buys every game count as "paid attendance"
06-29-2015 10:18 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
Akron had three Tuesday night games with awful weather. This is what you get when you have a Mickey Mouse commissioner selling out to ESPN who is pandering to a Las Vegas sports betting crowd
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2015 10:24 AM by Chipdip2.)
06-29-2015 10:22 AM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Yeah, don't get me started on EMU's "Pepsi fans". Yes, after their remodeling on their opening game, there were some fans there. A LOT for EMU, or what would be a cold-weather mid-week game of Kent @WMU or something. But besides that, clicking into their games @EMU during the season? Hardly anyone. Pepsi faux-seats.

At least Akron's being honest. With their NICE stadium and big-name coach -- you'd expect fans to come in! That stadium's way better than the Rubber Bowl (I went there once in 99 or 00 right around Halloween; I ticked off a couple with their kid with my suave heckling aloud).
06-29-2015 10:27 AM
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

How much does WMU spend subsidizing the football program?

Such a sad column and so many parallels to WMU. Case in point: Posted something about this online today, friend from WMU replies, ironically "this is because everyone who grows up in Ohio is obsessed with OSU!" This same dude graduated from WMU yet considers himself a MSU fan, the exact same type of person he just ripped.

THAT right there is the never-ending problem for all us true MAC fans.
06-29-2015 09:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BCBronco Offline
All American

(06-29-2015 09:23 PM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  How much does WMU spend subsidizing the football program?

Such a sad column and so many parallels to WMU. Case in point: Posted something about this online today, friend from WMU replies, ironically "this is because everyone who grows up in Ohio is obsessed with OSU!" This same dude graduated from WMU yet considers himself a MSU fan, the exact same type of person he just ripped.

THAT right there is the never-ending problem for all us true MAC fans.

Was in Florida a few months ago watching my daughter playing softball. While walking to dinner one night I saw a couple with MSU shirts on, being a faculty at MSU I asked how they liked attending MSU. Sheepishly they admitted that they both attend CMU. Whatta you gonna do? 01-lauramac2
06-29-2015 09:50 PM
Advertisement

perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
(06-29-2015 10:22 AM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  Akron had three Tuesday night games with awful weather. This is what you get when you have a Mickey Mouse commissioner selling out to ESPN who is pandering to a Las Vegas sports betting crowd

only 2 of those 3 Tuesday games were home games and one of those was the 2nd largest crowd of the year. The net impact was -605, hardly a game a changer.

but don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.
06-30-2015 01:31 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(06-30-2015 01:31 AM)perimeterpost Wrote:  
(06-29-2015 10:22 AM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  Akron had three Tuesday night games with awful weather. This is what you get when you have a Mickey Mouse commissioner selling out to ESPN who is pandering to a Las Vegas sports betting crowd

only 2 of those 3 Tuesday games were home games and one of those was the 2nd largest crowd of the year. The net impact was -605, hardly a game a changer.

but don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

Oh snap, ya got me. I was just going by what they said in the article, but by all means give yourself a gold star for digging up this "valuable piece of information" 03-lmfao and laying the smack down on me 01-france
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2015 03:50 PM by Chipdip2.)
06-30-2015 09:21 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
So Akron's Saturday attendance was so bad it resembled a bad weather Tuesday night.
06-30-2015 11:03 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Obviously the Zips need a PJ Fleck.

Oh wait - our attendance was DOWN last year despite the great turnaround.

Never mind.
06-30-2015 11:19 AM
Tommyboy Offline
1st String

Re: RE: Akron Attendance Woes
(06-30-2015 11:19 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Obviously the Zips need a PJ Fleck.

Oh wait - our attendance was DOWN last year despite the great turnaround.

Never mind.

That it was down last year probably has as much to do with the year before as any thing else. I boldly predict that attendance will be up next year.
07-01-2015 07:50 AM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Not so bold when we have both MSU and CMU at home this season.

Weather is a factor, too.
07-01-2015 07:53 AM
Tommyboy Offline
1st String

Re: RE: Akron Attendance Woes
(07-01-2015 07:53 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  Not so bold when we have both MSU and CMU at home this season.

Weather is a factor, too.

The weather piece is very important, last year by the time it was clear that the team was greatly improved, it was late and cold. And the weather for the showdown with NIU could not have been much worse.
07-05-2015 11:49 AM
BCBronco Offline
All American

Akron cutting their baseball program.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/upda...s-1.607079
07-10-2015 05:25 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:While walking to dinner one night I saw a couple with MSU shirts on, being a faculty at MSU I asked how they liked attending MSU. Sheepishly they admitted that they both attend CMU. Whatta you gonna do?

Nothing wrong with wearing that -- as long as it's followed with a "I'm a [CMU/WMU/Akron/Ohio] fan, first and foremost," and it's not within any timeframe of an MSU game vs their team. I have a Wisconsin shirt and an MSU shirt. I time it when I wear them.
07-10-2015 11:14 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

From that article they've got bigger troubles than football attendance, although that's a part of it.

Always hate to see programs cut and people lose their jobs.
07-11-2015 08:16 AM
Advertisement

BCBronco Offline
All American

(07-11-2015 08:16 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  From that article they've got bigger troubles than football attendance, although that's a part of it.

Always hate to see programs cut and people lose their jobs.

http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf...rt_m-rpt-1

Bunch of pissed people, remember WMU track?
07-11-2015 08:48 AM
BCBronco Offline
All American

(07-10-2015 11:14 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:While walking to dinner one night I saw a couple with MSU shirts on, being a faculty at MSU I asked how they liked attending MSU. Sheepishly they admitted that they both attend CMU. Whatta you gonna do?

Nothing wrong with wearing that -- as long as it's followed with a "I'm a [CMU/WMU/Akron/Ohio] fan, first and foremost," and it's not within any timeframe of an MSU game vs their team. I have a Wisconsin shirt and an MSU shirt. I time it when I wear them.

Let me put it this way: I've never seen an MSU student sheepishly wearing a CMU/WMU shirt.
07-11-2015 08:50 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Even at a university the size of Akron (or WMU), 215 is a LOT of jobs - and human beings.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2015 09:07 AM by MajorHoople.)
07-11-2015 09:07 AM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:Let me put it this way: I've never seen an MSU student sheepishly wearing a CMU/WMU shirt.

The times I've seen a P5 student/former-student wear a mid-major shirt was when their family member or close friend went to said G5 school -- usually centered around a game.

The reason you won't see on any given Wednesday a P5 student (or former) wearing a G5 shirt is because:

When you carry a mid-major shirt around, that Means More than carrying a P5 shirt around. A P5 shirt around is just general -- they're sold everywhere and it's for college sports fans in general in that state. One doesn't have to go to a particular P5 school in their state to be a mild fan in a good season when they didn't go to any school or any P5 school.

G5 shirts aren't so available in non-sports stores that aren't within in the city of the college. It means more, and holds more value. It says more if you're not at a game and it's just a given Wednesday.

A P5 shirt of a school in that state or a popularly known one that isn't a rival or disliked in said state -- that can be the same as people wearing shirts for some club, European team, liquor, or whatever -- worn because it looks good on them; not because they're some hardcore fan of it... but it was a shirt at TJ Max on sale that looks good or since it's of a sport carries that style, while that popular (P5) team is A-OK in their book.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2015 01:45 PM by toddjnsn.)
07-11-2015 01:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.