Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If there were an all-inclusive 16 team playoff...
UHRedcat96 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH Cougars
If every conference winner in FBS was included in the CFP, as well as 5 wild-cards, what would happen to the conferences?

Would the G5 teams be able to better recruit?
Would the P5 want to realign to make their chance for the CFP better?
Would the G5 teams get better TV contracts?
Would the G5 teams automatically become more relevant?
Or would everything remain unchanged?
06-06-2015 11:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

colohank Online
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
RE: If there were an all-inclusive 16 team playoff...
(06-06-2015 11:52 PM)UHRedcat96 Wrote:  If every conference winner in FBS was included in the CFP, as well as 5 wild-cards, what would happen to the conferences?

That scenario would require that the two finalists ultimately would have to play four playoff games to determine the national championship, and the other contenders from one to three post-season games. That's a lot of extra wear and tear on young bodies, and a lot of extra time away from the classroom for student athletes. I doubt it will happen.
06-07-2015 12:07 AM
UHRedcat96 Offline
Special Teams

(06-07-2015 12:07 AM)colohank Wrote:  
(06-06-2015 11:52 PM)UHRedcat96 Wrote:  If every conference winner in FBS was included in the CFP, as well as 5 wild-cards, what would happen to the conferences?

That scenario would require that the two finalists ultimately would have to play four playoff games to determine the national championship, and the other contenders from one to three post-season games. That's a lot of extra wear and tear on young bodies, and a lot of extra time away from the classroom for student athletes. I doubt it will happen.

The premise was, "if it did happen" what would change or not change.
06-07-2015 12:15 AM
Tiger Greg Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
It'll never happen, so why even consider it.
06-07-2015 01:33 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(06-07-2015 01:33 AM)Tiger Greg Wrote:  It'll never happen, so why even consider it.

Hey fans on here talk about the AAC becoming the 6th access conference all the time. It'll never happen either but it's considered every single day here. Cheers!
06-07-2015 07:56 AM
Advertisement

USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

I Root For: South Florida

That's funny because for some strange reason the FCS can do a 24 teams playoff. Shocking I know, right! 04-jawdrop
06-07-2015 08:29 AM
colohank Online
1st String

(06-07-2015 12:15 AM)UHRedcat96 Wrote:  

OK, then consider this equally silly proposition: There are 128 Division I college football programs. Instead of conference play, let's just throw them all into one big pot and begin a single-elimination playoff instead of a regular season. Games during week 1 would pare the group down to 64 winning teams, and the 64 losing teams would be eliminated and done for the year. Week 2 would yield 32 winning teams, and another 32 teams would be done for the year. After week 3, there'd be only 16 contenders left, and so on through week 6.

After seven weeks, the only undefeated team would be unambiguously crowned the national champion, and the players on most other teams, the ones eliminated earlier in the process, would have long since returned to their studies. Wouldn't that be fun?

All games would be played at neutral sites. Like March Madness, everyone in the playoff would have a chance to reach the pinnacle, at least theoretically, and there'd certainly be upsets. Unlike March Madness, the brackets would be determined by lottery rather than assumptions about past or future performance. So, a perennial powerhouse like Ohio State might end up playing Alabama or Oregon in the first game, or it might play Yakumpuckie State Teachers College. It would all be determined by the luck of the draw. And God forbid if Yakumpuckie upset Ohio State (the prospect almost makes me salivate).

The existing system has its flaws, and there'll no doubt be changes made to address them. I hope they don't include either a sixteen- team playoff or the scenario I just put forth above.
06-07-2015 08:41 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU

1. FCS does it.

2. NFL plays AT LEAST 20 games not including playoffs. NCAA plays at least 12 not including CGs and postseason. I think they can handle 1-4 more games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
06-07-2015 08:58 AM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
Football Championship Subdivision:

11 Conferences
122 Schools
4 Non Conference games
8 Conference games

24 Playoff Spots
- 11 Auto bids (conference champ)
- 13 At Large bids (selection committee, entirely athletic directors)
- Top 8 teams get first round bye

Certainly with some reasonable modifications FBS could come up with their own playoff structure that provides a direct path to a championship for all of its members too.
06-07-2015 09:09 AM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
if we could have a playoff that featured every conference winner (like in hoops) so at least every FBS team had a 'chance' to win the national title (like in hoops) then the whole p5/g5 thing isn't such a big deal (other than the conference payouts). At least it would give everybody some hope.
06-07-2015 09:44 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

Just have it as 16

10 auto bids
6 at large

Indy teams not somehow affiliated with a conference via full membership or a scheduling agreement are not allowed at large bids.
Conferences are only allowed to have 20% of members entered. (Ex 14 = 2.8 which would mean 3 schools max)

06-07-2015 09:55 AM
UHRedcat96 Offline
Special Teams

Would this system make all of the G5 teams happy?
Would the G5 teams instantly become better commodities for TV since they have a stake in the NC?
Or would the money stay pretty much how it is with the gap ever widening?
Would the recruiting level out to some degree or not?
It is one of the biggest arguments the P5 take to recruits...play in the AAC and you will never play for a NC.

And yes, it could be done...
The football athletes play far less games than the BBall teams, and let's be honest, how many SEC players are being recruited for their academics (or any conference for that matter).
06-07-2015 01:02 PM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

(06-07-2015 08:41 AM)colohank Wrote:  

OK, then consider this equally silly proposition: There are 128 Division I college football programs. Instead of conference play, let's just throw them all into one big pot and begin a single-elimination playoff instead of a regular season. Games during week 1 would pare the group down to 64 winning teams, and the 64 losing teams would be eliminated and done for the year. Week 2 would yield 32 winning teams, and another 32 teams would be done for the year. After week 3, there'd be only 16 contenders left, and so on through week 6.

After seven weeks, the only undefeated team would be unambiguously crowned the national champion, and the players on most other teams, the ones eliminated earlier in the process, would have long since returned to their studies. Wouldn't that be fun?

All games would be played at neutral sites. Like March Madness, everyone in the playoff would have a chance to reach the pinnacle, at least theoretically, and there'd certainly be upsets. Unlike March Madness, the brackets would be determined by lottery rather than assumptions about past or future performance. So, a perennial powerhouse like Ohio State might end up playing Alabama or Oregon in the first game, or it might play Yakumpuckie State Teachers College. It would all be determined by the luck of the draw. And God forbid if Yakumpuckie upset Ohio State (the prospect almost makes me salivate).

The existing system has its flaws, and there'll no doubt be changes made to address them. I hope they don't include either a sixteen- team playoff or the scenario I just put forth above.
Typical cincy fan
06-07-2015 02:46 PM
Advertisement

colohank Online
1st String

(06-07-2015 02:46 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  

Typical cincy fan

Ho hum...another ad hominem attack.
06-07-2015 03:41 PM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

(06-07-2015 03:41 PM)colohank Wrote:  
(06-07-2015 12:07 AM)colohank Wrote:  That scenario would require that the two finalists ultimately would have to play four playoff games to determine the national championship, and the other contenders from one to three post-season games. That's a lot of extra wear and tear on young bodies, and a lot of extra time away from the classroom for student athletes. I doubt it will happen.

Typical cincy fan

No I'm simply stating that your post is consistent with the typical "whatever your idea is stupid, or (not in this post) cincy rules and we are doomed because of everyone else in this conference" response typically given by ~75% of Cincy fans on this board. The other 25% are really cool dudes, but they usually don't venture into the jungle known as the AAC board
06-07-2015 06:13 PM
UHRedcat96 Offline
Special Teams

Thread hijacked.
06-07-2015 08:03 PM
colohank Online
1st String

(06-07-2015 06:13 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  
(06-07-2015 12:15 AM)UHRedcat96 Wrote:  The premise was, "if it did happen" what would change or not change.

Typical cincy fan

No I'm simply stating that your post is consistent with the typical "whatever your idea is stupid, or (not in this post) cincy rules and we are doomed because of everyone else in this conference" response typically given by ~75% of Cincy fans on this board. The other 25% are really cool dudes, but they usually don't venture into the jungle known as the AAC board

Go back and read my first post on this thread. I think you'll find that I offered a perfectly cogent explanation as to why there should not be a sixteen team playoff. Too many extra games in a season pose an unreasonable risk of injury and intrude unduly on academics. My second post was a tongue-in-cheek and equally unrealistic alternative, which I discredited myself in that post's last sentence.

If you have a problem with either of them, well...that's your problem.

Please don't read more into my posts than I wrote.
06-07-2015 10:41 PM
Advertisement

DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

(06-07-2015 10:41 PM)colohank Wrote:  
(06-07-2015 06:13 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  
(06-07-2015 08:41 AM)colohank Wrote:  OK, then consider this equally silly proposition: There are 128 Division I college football programs. Instead of conference play, let's just throw them all into one big pot and begin a single-elimination playoff instead of a regular season. Games during week 1 would pare the group down to 64 winning teams, and the 64 losing teams would be eliminated and done for the year. Week 2 would yield 32 winning teams, and another 32 teams would be done for the year. After week 3, there'd be only 16 contenders left, and so on through week 6.

Typical cincy fan

Go back and read my first post on this thread. I think you'll find that I offered a perfectly cogent explanation as to why there should not be a sixteen team playoff. Too many extra games in a season pose an unreasonable risk of injury and intrude unduly on academics. My second post was a tongue-in-cheek and equally unrealistic alternative, which I discredited myself in that post's last sentence.

If you have a problem with either of them, well...that's your problem.

Please don't read more into my posts than I wrote.
And he gave you a perfectly cogent reason as to why it would, and already works. So you come up with a stupid idea to try and belittle his.
06-08-2015 06:52 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU

The G5 teams would become more relevant because of the Cinderella factor - just think of March Madness. If there were ever a serious upset - like 7-5 Sun Belt Champ beats #1 or #2 SEC or B1G champ, it would mean instant and enormous prestige bump for the Sun Belt champ.

This Cinderella factor would lead to more casual interest in G5 teams and conferences. This would likely increase G5 TV contracts and the ability to recruit. Overall, it would be marginal increase, but it could be earth-shattering improvement for a G5 team that pulls off some playoff upsets and sees some playoff success.

Ultimately, I do think you COULD see some P5 teams realign with lower conferences, to improve their competitive ability for the playoff.

These factors prove why a 16-team FBS playoff will never happen.

When the CFP expands to 8 teams, I will be surprised if there is even ONE spot reserved for any G5 champ. Remember, in 2014 #4 Ohio St. knocked off #1 Alabama and #20 Boise St. knocked off #10 Arizona. I don't think the powers suits want to ever risk a scenario where #20 have-not could even have the chance to beat #1.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2015 06:19 PM by YNot.)
06-08-2015 12:33 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

Image Duke and Wake in the AAC or Duke and UVA or Duke and WVU a 16 team playoff would distribute the conferences more evening and maybe even have regional conferences again.

06-08-2015 03:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.