Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

G5 income and Commisioner Compensation Comparison--CBS-Sports
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
G5 income and Commisioner Compensation Comparison--CBS-Sports
Lol.....Quo won't be pleased.....Seriously though---lots of good information on AAC income in this article along with an interesting peek at commissioners salaries.

The AAC's revenue is more than double the amount reported for the 2013-14 fiscal year by Conference USA, whose $45.3 million was the next-highest total for a conference outside the Power Five.

Altogether, the five FBS conferences outside the Power Five reported a combined total of about $182 million in revenue in 2013-14 — an amount that includes roughly $15 million in TV, Bowl Championship Series and NCAA tournament money that the Mountain West doesn't show on its tax return because, according to spokesman Javan Hedlund, the conference considers it pass-through money that simply goes to the member schools. The 10-member Big 12 reported $227.7 million alone in 2013-14 and recently announced it will have $252 million 2014-15.

In 2012-13, the AAC's revenue total included nearly $40 million in entrance or exit fees. Revenue of that type fell to less than $8 million in 2013-14, but because of long-term payment arrangements, the conference will be continuing to collect these fees through 2020.

The conference's television and radio rights revenue fell from $38.1 million 2012-13 to $21.1 million 2013-14 as its membership changed — and the number is likely to decline a little bit more in 2014-15, the first year of a six-year television deal built entirely around the AAC.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/col.../28432885/
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2015 09:02 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-03-2015 07:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
RE: G5 income and Commisioner Compensation Comparison--CBS-Sports
(06-03-2015 07:05 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Lol.....Quo won't be pleased.....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/col.../28432885/

No one gives a sh-t what quo thinks. He hates this conference.
06-03-2015 07:24 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
Quote:That means Aresco's base salary for 2013 was more than triple the amount paid to his predecessor, John Marinatto, in 2011 — Marinatto's last full calendar year as commissioner of the former iteration of the Big East Conference. It was within about $200,000 of Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby's base salary in 2013. And it was triple that of any Bowl Subdivision commissioner outside a Power Five conference that year.

Quote:—Conference USA's Britton Banowsky was credited with $863,951 ($487,500 in base pay), although the C-USA return said $151,000 of that amount has been reported on prior years' returns.

—The Mountain West's Craig Thompson was credited with $603,602 (just more than $525,000 base).

—The Sun Belt's Karl Benson was credited with $506,000 ($440,000 base).

—The Mid-American's Jon Steinbrecher was credited with just under $500,000 (just under $375,000 base) and had the benefit of a $250,000 loan.

Well deserved imo. Especially in comparison to the other G5 commishes. Just think of the legacy of each of those...

-Steinbrecher - Just signed the MAC's soul away for a combined $10 mill per year, to be stuck on Tuesday and Wednesday night football.
-BB - Couldn't pay a legitimate sports network to broadcast their games.
-Karl Benson - Invited Idaho and New Mexico State... on purpose.
-Craig Thompson - Legacy of sore knees on blue turf.
06-03-2015 07:44 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
great...we are better than the other G5's....SUPER!
06-03-2015 08:28 PM
AirRaid Offline
1st String

I Root For: H-TownTakeover
Quo would be right. I could do what Aresco has done.
06-03-2015 08:30 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(06-03-2015 08:30 PM)AirRaid Wrote:  Quo would be right. I could do what Aresco has done.

for once I agree with you
06-03-2015 08:32 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
My God ... we are paying Aresco $1.6 million not $1.3m as i thought. What astonishing waste of money for the peanut TV and bowl deals he negotiated.

We surely could have gotten the same awful deals for 1/3 the price. As i have said, the only indisputably good deal Aresco has ever negotiated was his own contract with us. Sad.
06-03-2015 09:39 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(06-03-2015 09:39 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  My God ... we are paying Aresco $1.6 million not $1.3m as i thought. What astonishing waste of money for the peanut TV and bowl deals he negotiated.

We surely could have gotten the same awful deals for 1/3 the price. As i have said, the only indisputably good deal Aresco has ever negotiated was his own contract with us. Sad.

You hate this conference. You've never had one positive post about this conference or the Big East before this.

Let me give you the advice my father gave me when I was 12 ... "If you don't have anything good to say, then STFU".
06-03-2015 09:46 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(06-03-2015 09:39 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  My God ... we are paying Aresco $1.6 million not $1.3m as i thought. What astonishing waste of money for the peanut TV and bowl deals he negotiated.

And we probably should credit his agent for that one. 03-wink No, look, I think he's done what he can with what he has --- CUSA warmed up and served again. Got us on the ESPN network --- I'll take it and forget about the money - his or ours.
06-03-2015 09:50 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
...it could actually be worse than what it is.

Aresco isn't worth $1.6m, but he's certainly above the other G5 commissioners in terms of "body of work".
06-03-2015 09:50 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

Re: RE: G5 income and Commisioner Compensation Comparison--CBS-Sports
(06-03-2015 09:46 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  

You hate this conference.

How does correctly noting how badly Aresco is overpaid mean that i hate the AAC? The reason it bothers me that Aresco is overpaid is because i don't like seeing bad things happening to our conference, like overpaying our commish.
06-03-2015 10:04 PM
Advertisement

VirginiaPirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
Highest revenue of the G5. Was surprised CUSA was second but more than half of the AAC.
06-03-2015 10:17 PM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
When Aresco's pay was negotiated this was a BCS conference with different membership. The compensation probably didn't look so out of place then. Of course now we compare to the other G5s and it does.
06-04-2015 07:42 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
i find it funny everyone thinks they can do aresco's job.......

mike silve the most power sec commish, with basically this same line up when he was the c-usa commish couldn't get anywhere remotely close to deal like this for us
but im sure csnbbs member could have 07-coffee3
06-04-2015 08:12 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Not my money. 07-coffee3
06-04-2015 08:39 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Man, I long for the days when we cared more about how our teams would look come fall than conference payouts or commissioner salaries. <sigh>

Anywho, it's easy to look at Aresco through 2015 eyes and say he's overpaid. But if you look at it through 2012 eyes, it's not that surprising at all.

Quote:Let's put this in perspective. A top executive of perhaps the most powerful over-the-air sports operation in North America just left for a conference on life support.

Aresco, a TV power broker, brought expertise to a league that needs nothing but TV expertise.

Quote:The Big East is sending an obvious message. Aresco is now the only FBS commissioner who comes from strictly a TV background. The league presidents wanted “another Larry Scott”, but the Pac-12 commissioner's background was in marketing and sponsorship with the Women's Tennis Association. Aresco will be paid more than $1 million per year, perhaps way more, to “fix” the waddling league.

Quote:The SEC is the middle of trying to create a Big Ten-like network, three years after signing a landmark deal with CBS and ESPN.

Aresco helped negotiate the CBS portion of that deal --15 years, $3 billion (at a bargain price for the CBS part of it, it should be noted.) CBS continues to get first choice of the league's best game each Saturday. Aresco has negotiated basketball deals with the ACC, Pac-10, Big Ten, Big 12 – and Big East.

Quote:ESPN has first dibs in an exclusive negotiating window beginning on Sept. 1, but NBC is known to have a craving for college football content to pair with Notre Dame.

Optimistic Big East sources are hoping a new contract with ESPN or NBC could go north of the ACC, $17 million per school. A more sensible number might be $70 million-$100 million for everything – at least 21 schools by 2015.

Quotes taken from: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...cbs-aresco

Aresco took a chance by leaving a stable situation for a volatile one. It costs money to get someone to do that. Unfortunately, things only became more unstable for the Big East in the following months and Aresco wasn't able to get that $70-100 million deal the league was banking on. **** happens.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 08:49 AM by Chappy.)
06-04-2015 08:47 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(06-04-2015 07:42 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  When Aresco's pay was negotiated this was a BCS conference with different membership. The compensation probably didn't look so out of place then. Of course now we compare to the other G5s and it does.

We should have had a clause in the contract that tied his pay to things like signing deals with a major bowl and value of media deal.

If so, he'd be making what he deserves, about $200k a year.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 09:55 AM by quo vadis.)
06-04-2015 08:55 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans

Is that you John Marinatto???
06-04-2015 08:58 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(06-03-2015 09:50 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  ...it could actually be worse than what it is.

Aresco isn't worth $1.6m, but he's certainly above the other G5 commissioners in terms of "body of work".

Seriously, in what sense does he have any kind of positive 'body of work'?

1) Our TV deal pays us $2m a year, best in the G5 but just barely. Given our lineup of schools - three holdovers from the AQ Big East, plus the most marketable schools from C-USA - how could it be any lower? It beggars belief that any of the far-lower paid G5 execs couldn't have negotiated the same deal.

2) Our bowl lineup is awful. It's barely better than C-USA, whom we stole many teams from. Again, given our lineup of schools, how could our bowl situation be any worse?

Now, it may very well be true that, given our school lineup, even God himself couldn't have done any better than Aresco has either. But, that still doesn't add up to a positive "body of work".

All it means is that given our circumstances, the commissioner's position at the AAC simply wasn't a position to invest money in because who our commissioner is just doesn't matter much right now, outside forces are essentially dictating our critical outcomes.

And that adds up to Aresco being hugely over-paid.

One other big flaw in Aresco's hiring was over-reliance on his TV background. The Big East presidents who hired him wrongly believed that negotiating a TV deal was THE giant issue facing our conference, when in fact the entire structure of college football - the transition from the BCS to the CFP - was being negotiated and was critical as well. So we dumbly hired a guy with a TV background but zero background in the politics of intercollegiate athletics.

The result? Aresco was clueless when negotiating our place in the CFP, which was being hammered out in the fall of 2012. He pushed strongly for the creation of a "7th bowl" that would have improved our access chances, but failed. Just look at this clueless quote from 10/26/12. ESPN had reported that the notion of a 7th bowl was in jeopardy, but not according to Aresco:

"ESPN.com reported earlier this week that the chances were decreasing for a seventh game to be added. Aresco told The Associated Press on Friday:

"None of us had heard anything about the game being in any jeopardy."

"We're trying to put the game together. We think there will be significant interest from TV entities, but it's premature. We haven't gone that far."

Of course, just two weeks later, the "7th Bowl" concept was killed, BECAUSE there was little TV interest in it! But our TV guy couldn't figure that out.

Aresco also pushed to get a larger share of the CFP revenue devoted to the G5 (he failed), and then to get the AAC a larger share of the money devoted to the G5 (he failed there, too).

And then of course we had to negotiate our bowl tie-ins, and Aresco failed utterly there as well.

Bottom line: We screwed up by hiring a purely TV guy when we faced critical issues that required experience and skills in NCAA and inter-conference politics. Aresco had none of that and the results were predictably bad.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 09:53 AM by quo vadis.)
06-04-2015 09:06 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
I wonder how many calzones and how much cappellini Marinatto bought with that severance package. Gourmet pasta for days in his house.
06-04-2015 09:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.