Cursed system...
05-22-2015 06:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
RE: New Navy article on being access bowl rep
summary for those who don't like to read :

navy says theyd choose army/navy game on solo day over a chance at an access bowl but hope it doesn't come to that

aresco talking to the playoff about a solution ...according to the committee "things are looking positive" ...

so its unlikely the game will be moved or forced elimination from the acess
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2015 07:57 PM by pesik.)
05-22-2015 07:55 PM
Xbones Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: East Carolina
There's something missing with this. The solution is too simple... Tell Navy they have to win out over Army and have a contingency plan for the next ranked team as suggested. How will the Greedy P5 benefit by pushing this game back out of the lime-light? Are they trying milk the last ounce of exposure advantage out of the G5? Does ESPN want all eyes focused on the playoff and the P5 after the announcement?
05-22-2015 08:36 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(05-22-2015 08:36 PM)Xbones Wrote:  There's something missing with this. The solution is too simple... Tell Navy they have to win out over Army and have a contingency plan for the next ranked team as suggested. How will the Greedy P5 benefit by pushing this game back out of the lime-light? Are they trying milk the last ounce of exposure advantage out of the G5? Does ESPN want all eyes focused on the playoff and the P5 after the announcement?

p5 have zero problem with this...the MWC are pushing for the change and garnered the support of the MAC
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2015 08:50 PM by pesik.)
05-22-2015 08:49 PM
Advertisement

Xbones Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: East Carolina
(05-22-2015 08:49 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(05-22-2015 08:36 PM)Xbones Wrote:  There's something missing with this. The solution is too simple... Tell Navy they have to win out over Army and have a contingency plan for the next ranked team as suggested. How will the Greedy P5 benefit by pushing this game back out of the lime-light? Are they trying milk the last ounce of exposure advantage out of the G5? Does ESPN want all eyes focused on the playoff and the P5 after the announcement?

p5 have zero problem with this...the MWC are pushing for the change and garnered the support of the MAC

Thanks for the answer. But what are the motives of the MWC and MAC?
05-22-2015 09:05 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(05-22-2015 09:05 PM)Xbones Wrote:  
(05-22-2015 08:49 PM)pesik Wrote:  

Thanks for the answer. But what are the motives of the MWC and MAC?

the motives they "say" is because its not fair that navy can get selected for the access but end up losing the game before the bowl and still go, that they have 1 less game to be judged on...

my opinion of what i think is the "real" reason is too devalue the aac, navy will be valued a lot less if they moved the game, and they are going the aac a rival to there conference
05-22-2015 09:28 PM
BullsFanInTX Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
P5 doesn't care either way. It's the mwc that is fighting this. Anything to devalue navy and/or aac.
05-22-2015 11:20 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(05-22-2015 11:20 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  P5 doesn't care either way. It's the mwc that is fighting this. Anything to devalue navy and/or aac.

Chet Gladchuk was who bravely didn't give in to the Boise demands.... Boise could be pushing this, I'm thinking.
05-26-2015 06:31 PM
BullsFanInTX Online
Hall of Famer

(05-26-2015 06:31 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  
(05-22-2015 11:20 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  P5 doesn't care either way. It's the mwc that is fighting this. Anything to devalue navy and/or aac.

Chet Gladchuk was who bravely didn't give in to the Boise demands.... Boise could be pushing this, I'm thinking.

Bingo. You hit the nail on the head. MWC commish Thompson and boise (imo) are spearheading effort to get Navy out of deal. The "P5" don't care either way...harms them none.
05-26-2015 10:39 PM
Advertisement

Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
This game (Army-Navy) and its timing are part of the fabric of American sports. There must be a way to preserve the integrity and timing of this game AND permit Navy access to the big payoff should they be 12-0 or 11-1 and conference champion/ranked in top 4.

I already think the system is broken but if the P5 schools, who make these decisions in reality, can't see that, they are more pond scum than I currently think they are.

This isn't an AAC issue to me, at all...it's an American (the Country, not the Conference) issue. If Navy earns it, then they deserve it.
05-27-2015 07:02 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
Its kind of ironic that some at Navy are complaining how they might be handicapped by playing their game vs Army a week after Championship Weekend, which might keep them out of the Access Bowls and heaven forbid, National Playoff (and all the $$$ that comes with it), all because they want to keep their most valuable game of the season, vs Army, which is why both of those programs get paid millions per year in TV $$$ (almost exclusively due to that one game).

So which is it?

Want all the Millions to come from the Army/Navy game since its the only game on TV that day...or move the Army/Navy game to Sept/Oct/Nov...where it won't be the only game on that day...which will hurt their TV contract for that game...but might help them gain access to top bowl games and maybe even a National Playoff?
05-27-2015 07:30 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

Not simple...as you won't ever get a P5 Conf to approve to "wait" another week on making bowl trip plans, let alone more importantly, bowl ticket SALES.

Teams sell majority of their bowl tix in the days immediately following their bowl invite...and now way will a P5 team wait till almost mid-Dec to find out where they are going.
05-27-2015 07:33 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
Hopefully adding Navy to this conference will give it some balls.
05-27-2015 07:39 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(05-27-2015 07:30 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  Its kind of ironic that some at Navy are complaining how they might be handicapped by playing their game vs Army a week after Championship Weekend, which might keep them out of the Access Bowls and heaven forbid, National Playoff (and all the $$$ that comes with it), all because they want to keep their most valuable game of the season, vs Army, which is why both of those programs get paid millions per year in TV $$$ (almost exclusively due to that one game).

So which is it?

Want all the Millions to come from the Army/Navy game since its the only game on TV that day...or move the Army/Navy game to Sept/Oct/Nov...where it won't be the only game on that day...which will hurt their TV contract for that game...but might help them gain access to top bowl games and maybe even a National Playoff?

you have it all wrong, th army/navy game isnt about tv money, but that they want a day just for the service players and that the significance of that game is wooven in american tradition. thy know its unrealistic to think it can compete with power programs of today as they cant recruit like they did in the past...accordding to report after the current contract is inished navy will give up the revenue from the game to be added to the rest of the AAC contract

and second the access has absolutely nothing to do with money ...first off the aac isnt the MWC, getting the "access bowl" means nothing crazy as it split evenly amoung all members. if Cincy gets it over navy, navy will still get the same amount of money...your statement is like saying ucf competes for the access fro the access money. which is completely false, ucf competes for it to be great, make history and grow its national brand, ucf doesnt go i really need that acess money

you completely twisted the motives for this to something not even true...navy wants to save the date to fight to keep the tradition strong (unlikely if the date is moved) and give a special day for its cadets (who are all enlisted)..and navy wants the access for the same reason we all want the access and it isnt the access bowl money
05-27-2015 08:20 AM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(05-27-2015 07:33 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

Not simple...as you won't ever get a P5 Conf to approve to "wait" another week on making bowl trip plans, let alone more importantly, bowl ticket SALES.

Teams sell majority of their bowl tix in the days immediately following their bowl invite...and now way will a P5 team wait till almost mid-Dec to find out where they are going.

the P5 DOESNT CARE!!! the p5 ad's on the committee said they were fine with te model as is, it is the mwc commissar pushing to have navy band if the game isnt moved, and has gained some support from the MAC...why would the p5 care at all??? literally zero percent of them think navy will ever make a playoff, and if the worst case scenario happened that navy made the access and then lost to army, its a g5 problem and doesnt affect them at all

did you even read the article, the contingency plan is what aresco has proposed and the committee says that things are looking "positive"
05-27-2015 08:27 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(05-27-2015 08:27 AM)pesik Wrote:  

the P5 DOESNT CARE!!! the p5 ad's on the committee said they were fine with te model as is....

That's because they will never ever WAIT on an access or playoff invite for Navy.

Navy basically eliminated themselves from consideration...regardless what P5 Committee Members (since they dominate the board) say publicly.
05-27-2015 09:15 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
you have it all wrong, th army/navy game isnt about tv money, but that they want a day just for the service players and that the significance of that game is wooven in american tradition. thy know its unrealistic to think it can compete with power programs of today as they cant recruit like they did in the past...accordding to report after the current contract is inished navy will give up the revenue from the game to be added to the rest of the AAC contract

and second the access has absolutely nothing to do with money ...first off the aac isnt the MWC, getting the "access bowl" means nothing crazy as it split evenly amoung all members. if Cincy gets it over navy, navy will still get the same amount of money...your statement is like saying ucf competes for the access fro the access money. which is completely false, ucf competes for it to be great, make history and grow its national brand, ucf doesnt go i really need that acess money

you completely twisted the motives for this to something not even true...navy wants to save the date to fight to keep the tradition strong (unlikely if the date is moved) and give a special day for its cadets (who are all enlisted)..and navy wants the access for the same reason we all want the access and it isnt the access bowl money
[/quote]

Wow. You sir are the one that could not have this more wrong. If it has nothing to do with the money, then just reschedule to week 1 with all the other out of conference games. Problem solved. A specific weekend in December is not woven into American tradition, the game is. It's not just tradition that motivates them to have that week all to themselves.
05-27-2015 10:01 AM
BullsFanInTX Online
Hall of Famer

Why wouldn't they want to wait? It's either wait, or they aren't going anyway. They were, in fact the #2 team and weren't going anyway. So by waiting, they may actually be achieving something that they weren't going to get anyway (an access bowl), since they weren't the #1 G5 team anyway.
05-27-2015 10:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.