Thread Closed 
List of pending basketball rule changes
Bookmark and Share
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
List of pending basketball rule changes
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/...-proposals

In addition to these is the elimination of the 5 second closely guarded rule *except* when holding the ball.

...the men's basketball rules committee announced that it would recommend shortening the shot clock from 35 seconds to 30, increase the restricted area arc in front of the basket from three feet to four feet, and three changes aimed at reducing timeouts.

The strategy is simple: A shorter shot clock is expected to lead to more possessions, a faster pace of play and perhaps an increase in scoring. Expanding the charge circle should reduce the low-post collision rate.

For timeouts, the recommendation are to reduce timeouts from five to four, with no more than three carrying over from the first to the second half; quicker resumption of play coming out of timeouts and player disqualifications; disallowing coaches from calling timeouts in live ball situations; and making a timeout called within 30 seconds of a media timeout stand for the media timeout.

In addition, the committee wants officials to be able to review shot clock violations on made field goals at any point in a game. And the committee recommended lifting the ban on dunks in pre-game warmups. Finally, the committee wants officials be able to penalize players for faking fouls, or diving.
05-19-2015 07:36 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: List of pending basketball rule changes
The recommendations must be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which is scheduled to discuss the changes via conference call June 8....
05-19-2015 07:56 AM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

These all seem like pretty good rule changes IMO.
05-19-2015 07:57 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-19-2015 07:57 AM)Tygrys Wrote:  These all seem like pretty good rule changes IMO.

Thinking they'll enforce the flop rule with a technical ---
05-19-2015 08:08 AM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(05-19-2015 07:36 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/...-proposals

In addition to these is the elimination of the 5 second closely guarded rule *except* when holding the ball.

...the men's basketball rules committee announced that it would recommend shortening the shot clock from 35 seconds to 30, increase the restricted area arc in front of the basket from three feet to four feet, and three changes aimed at reducing timeouts.

The strategy is simple: A shorter shot clock is expected to lead to more possessions, a faster pace of play and perhaps an increase in scoring. Expanding the charge circle should reduce the low-post collision rate.

For timeouts, the recommendation are to reduce timeouts from five to four, with no more than three carrying over from the first to the second half; quicker resumption of play coming out of timeouts and player disqualifications; disallowing coaches from calling timeouts in live ball situations; and making a timeout called within 30 seconds of a media timeout stand for the media timeout.

In addition, the committee wants officials to be able to review shot clock violations on made field goals at any point in a game. And the committee recommended lifting the ban on dunks in pre-game warmups. Finally, the committee wants officials be able to penalize players for faking fouls, or diving.

Good changes overall. Hope the 30 second rule doesn't end up with a bunch of stupid shots. For teams that run an aggressive full court press this could actually turn into a 20 second shot clock. But, the 5 second closely guarded rule should have gone out with the advent of the shot clock way back then.

No live timeouts will change a lot of strategy.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2015 08:32 AM by Tiger46.)
05-19-2015 08:31 AM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

Josh is big on calling timeout right before the TV timeout. That'll change.

As far as increasing scoring, hate to say it, but

Ya gotta make shots.
05-19-2015 08:38 AM
Advertisement

Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(05-19-2015 08:38 AM)holyterror Wrote:  Josh is big on calling timeout right before the TV timeout. That'll change.

Ya gotta make shots.

I was thinking last year that he must have led the nation in calling timeouts about ten seconds before the media timeouts.
05-19-2015 08:42 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
(05-19-2015 08:08 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  
(05-19-2015 07:57 AM)Tygrys Wrote:  These all seem like pretty good rule changes IMO.

I'll believe it when I see one called on Duke.
05-19-2015 08:43 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(05-19-2015 08:42 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  
(05-19-2015 08:38 AM)holyterror Wrote:  Josh is big on calling timeout right before the TV timeout. That'll change.

Ya gotta make shots.

I was thinking last year that he must have led the nation in calling timeouts about ten seconds before the media timeouts.

That is what you do to get your players extra rest. When you know you are not going to be subbing much you call a timeout right before the media timeout getting your players two large rest periods fairly close together.

Ben Howland did this to us in the Elite 8 when he barely subbed.
05-19-2015 09:03 AM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

(05-19-2015 08:43 AM)tiger2000 Wrote:  
(05-19-2015 08:08 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  

I'll believe it when I see one called on Duke.

You will have to watch them play some directional school and be up by about 40...
05-19-2015 10:00 AM
UofMark Offline
Heisman

I love the new rule about called timeouts within 30 seconds of the media timeout become the media timeout. That rule is so obvious you wonder why it wasn't enacted years ago. College ball is slowly, painfully so, moving into the 21st century.
05-19-2015 11:01 AM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
They've needed this rule for years. Too much over coaching going on everywhere. Coaching should be done more in practice than during the game.
05-19-2015 11:21 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-19-2015 11:01 AM)UofMark Wrote:  I love the new rule about called timeouts within 30 seconds of the media timeout become the media timeout. That rule is so obvious you wonder why it wasn't enacted years ago. College ball is slowly, painfully so, moving into the 21st century.

True --- college needs to move into the low attention span non-analytical world.
05-19-2015 08:59 PM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
If the refs are reviewing video, the players should be made to stay on the court instead of huddling up on the bench. If they do, it should be counted as a timeout against that team.
05-20-2015 04:14 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(05-19-2015 08:31 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  Good changes overall. Hope the 30 second rule doesn't end up with a bunch of stupid shots. For teams that run an aggressive full court press this could actually turn into a 20 second shot clock. But, the 5 second closely guarded rule should have gone out with the advent of the shot clock way back then.

Live timeouts are still allowed called by players (like it use to be) but now coaches can't be the ones calling them to the refs.

Shorter shot clock is an advantage with a team that can press...and I think the rule is for 10 "total" seconds in the backcourt (i.e. if ball is knocked out of bounds...they don't reset it back to 10...again, like it was back in the day).

Time outs just prior to media timeouts could help at least one stoppage/commercial break per game (many times coaches would wait for media timeout since it would be coming up in 30 plus seconds).

Can't wait for ESPN to ask for LONGER TV breaks since they might lose 1 (or maybe 2) per game.

Just need CBS Sports to go back to just 4 tv timeouts per quarter for college football (believe CBS was the first to move to 5 tv timeouts per quarter), which is why so many games last 3 hours plus.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2015 08:20 AM by KnightLight.)
05-21-2015 08:18 AM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(05-19-2015 08:31 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  
(05-19-2015 07:36 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/...-proposals

Good changes overall. Hope the 30 second rule doesn't end up with a bunch of stupid shots. For teams that run an aggressive full court press this could actually turn into a 20 second shot clock. But, the 5 second closely guarded rule should have gone out with the advent of the shot clock way back then.

Seems the changes are going to continue the move toward helping the teams who rely on pure talent and work against those who rely on fundamentally sound players.

College basketball blows the NBA out of the water in TV numbers but for some reason they continue to move more and more toward the NBA style of game. Be prepared for a drop in upsets in the tournament and for lower shooting percentages overall. Also more turnovers.
05-21-2015 08:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
(05-21-2015 08:30 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  

Seems the changes are going to continue the move toward helping the teams who rely on pure talent and work against those who rely on fundamentally sound players.

College basketball blows the NBA out of the water in TV numbers but for some reason they continue to move more and more toward the NBA style of game. Be prepared for a drop in upsets in the tournament and for lower shooting percentages overall. Also more turnovers.

You can compare it to badminton if you want, college bball viewership and attendence are down.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/03/...fs1-nbcsn/

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wic...65834.html

In 2006, college basketball’s average attendance was 5,327. Last year, it was 4,817. In the Big 12, three teams averaged more than 12,000 fans – Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State. Baylor, ranked throughout the season and a No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament, averaged 6,650 fans.

Interest is also down on TV. ESPN averaged roughly 1.5 million viewers on its flagship network for games this season, down about 6 percent from last year.

Everyone tunes in in March and the $ makers (NCAA and networks) are trying to figure out how to get more viewers.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2015 08:39 PM by tiger2000.)
05-21-2015 08:35 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(05-19-2015 11:01 AM)UofMark Wrote:  I love the new rule about called timeouts within 30 seconds of the media timeout become the media timeout. That rule is so obvious you wonder why it wasn't enacted years ago. College ball is slowly, painfully so, moving into the 21st century.

When the Tigers go on their first period of out of control ball a minute before a TV time out and they end up losing a lead or getting thump in the last 30 seconds of that period you and others will be yelling and screaming because Pastner did not call a time out to stop a run.

Let the coaches coach.
05-21-2015 08:35 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

(05-21-2015 08:35 PM)tiger2000 Wrote:  
(05-21-2015 08:30 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  

You can compare it to badminton if you want, college bball viewership and attendence are down.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2015/03/...fs1-nbcsn/

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wic...65834.html

The worst thing to do to counter a decline in TV viewership is to adopt the same rules of someone with WORSE TV viewership.
05-21-2015 08:38 PM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
More reason to run and press
05-22-2015 07:31 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.