SOT: Longhorn Network is the most disastrous launch in ESPN history
05-17-2015 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ECMAN79 Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
RE: SOT: Longhorn Network is the most disastrous launch in ESPN history
haha - that's one of the best reads I've read in a long time.......
05-17-2015 09:25 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

ESPN has the leverage here. Tell Texas they either make it into the Big 12 Network or the channel folds. That's literally the only options they have at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
05-17-2015 09:36 AM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
I cant imagine ESPN is dumb enough to think that third tier rights for a single team can support a national network. I think his was always a 15 million a year bribe to Texas designed to keep the Big-12 stable and viable.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 09:54 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-17-2015 09:38 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
ESPN isn't dumb, they knew this would be a $$ loser. for 15 mil per year, 2/3 of what B12 schools get for TV they saved the B12.

All the #s they showed was for subscriber cost, didn't show what they bring in with regular advertising. I have no doubt they are losing $$$ but the #s may not be anywhere near what is implied.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 09:52 AM by goodknightfl.)
05-17-2015 09:50 AM
Attackcoog Online

(05-17-2015 09:50 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  ESPN isn't dumb, they knew this would be a $$ loser. for 15 mil per year, 2/3 of what B12 schools get for TV they saved the B12.

All the #s they showed was for subscriber cost, didn't show what they bring in with regular advertising. I have no doubt they are losing $$$ but the #s may not be anywhere near what is implied.

I doubt they make much with advertising. I also doubt thier costs are that high. There is no traveling. The events covered are all at one location and are set in a handful of venues. I suspect it probably isn't a big financial burden nor do I believe it will ever be a large financial windfall. It was just a cheap way to keep the Big12 together.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 09:59 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-17-2015 09:58 AM
Advertisement

Pirate1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePiratesofECU
ESPN could push the Big 12 to expand to new virgin markets that would snap up the Big 12 network if their area school would be added in.... that is if anyone could think of any candidates.07-coffee3
05-17-2015 10:18 AM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(05-17-2015 09:36 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  ESPN has the leverage here. Tell Texas they either make it into the Big 12 Network or the channel folds. That's literally the only options they have at this point.

ESPN has no leverage--UT has a contract. UT gets their money come hell or high water, unless ESPN can find a way to make UT *want* the LHN to go away. ESPN could shut down the LHN, but they'd be in breach of contract and still have to pay UT.

That said, ESPN and UT didn't exactly plan on a channel no one wants and no one watches. It's an irritation to the UT coaches, who have to produce content whose only audience is other schools' film rooms.

EDIT: Something I hadn't noticed before--if the LHN is pulling in $22M in Texas from subscribers, then it's making an operating profit for ESPN. $22M - $15M is $7M. The "ESPN has lots its shirt on the LHN" includes the startup costs for the network, which is true from an accounting perspective, but meaningless from a going-forward perspective. The money spent to build LHN Studios or whatever is gone whether or not ESPN keeps the LHN or shuts it down or whatever. It's not like ESPN can get a do-over on those costs.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 10:46 AM by johnbragg.)
05-17-2015 10:41 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
"In today's sports marketplace, there's no room for single-team channels."

The writer could of saved an ink cartridge and tremendous precious time in bad mouthing UT and ESPN's horrible business tactics by simply writing this ^^^. (above)

But NO, he felt the need everyone who read his piece would have no trouble recognizing a masterful hater A+ bashing vs a good positive one.

LOL
05-17-2015 10:55 AM
Attackcoog Online

(05-17-2015 10:55 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  "In today's sports marketplace, there's no room for single-team channels."

The writer could of saved an ink cartridge and tremendous precious time in bad mouthing UT and ESPN's horrible business tactics by simply writing this ^^^. (above)

But NO, he felt the need everyone who read his piece would have no trouble recognizing a masterful hater A+ bashing vs a good positive one.

LOL

Exactly. If Notre Dame can't do it, there's little reason to think Texas could support a single school national network. My guess is the current contract plays out and the LHN morphs into a Big-12 Network, which would likely enjoy better and wider distribution and would have 10 football games rather than one.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 11:10 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-17-2015 11:08 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

(05-17-2015 11:08 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(05-17-2015 10:55 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  "In today's sports marketplace, there's no room for single-team channels."

LOL

Exactly. If Notre Dame can't do it, there's little reason to think Texas could support a single school national network. My guess is the current contract plays out and the LHN morphs into a Big-12 Network, which would likely enjoy better and wider distribution and would have 10 football games rather than one.

The LHN $$$ was the only thing that kept the Horns from bolting the Big1/2 not its present fellow members.

I think if the LHN is pulled away from them, UT could take the independence route much like what BYU just did but be more successful quicker and away from programs who in reality bring nothing to the table to begin with.
05-17-2015 11:42 AM
Advertisement

Knightbengal Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
The network was a bribe and is the reason it would pay out what it regardless of it's subscriptions. That being said UT has no motivation to do anything until the end of the current contract cycle. There is a consolidation of content going on and that's why I think the acc grew. It was a hedge. Espn is probably going to lose the b10. If they do I thnk fox also goes hard after the b12. Then espn strips the core properties and sends them to the PAC. The texoma brands are worth the most and they will be sheltered in an espn conf. After that I think fox starts a network and will invite mostly eastern time zone population centers to make up for the lack of TVs in the the other markets. I think the AAC loses members then. Jmo
05-17-2015 12:04 PM
mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
(05-17-2015 10:41 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(05-17-2015 09:36 AM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  ESPN has the leverage here. Tell Texas they either make it into the Big 12 Network or the channel folds. That's literally the only options they have at this point.

ESPN has no leverage--UT has a contract. UT gets their money come hell or high water, unless ESPN can find a way to make UT *want* the LHN to go away. ESPN could shut down the LHN, but they'd be in breach of contract and still have to pay UT.

That said, ESPN and UT didn't exactly plan on a channel no one wants and no one watches. It's an irritation to the UT coaches, who have to produce content whose only audience is other schools' film rooms.

EDIT: Something I hadn't noticed before--if the LHN is pulling in $22M in Texas from subscribers, then it's making an operating profit for ESPN. $22M - $15M is $7M. The "ESPN has lots its shirt on the LHN" includes the startup costs for the network, which is true from an accounting perspective, but meaningless from a going-forward perspective. The money spent to build LHN Studios or whatever is gone whether or not ESPN keeps the LHN or shuts it down or whatever. It's not like ESPN can get a do-over on those costs.

Even with the $25 million they are making, I am not exactly certain they are making much money. Remember that they have to buy content at times. They have paid over a million each year to get an additional football game.
Then they have operational expenses which run in the millions and of courses taxes on all of that... but for arguments sake, let say they are making $5 million a year... with over $40 million invested it will take them 8 years to just break even.
Thats a bad investment all the way around.

This is why I have thought for some time that the LHN was simply a bribe to hold them steady for a period of time. In time, I believe they will convert the channel to being a regional network on the Pac12 network.... which is making money hand over fist.

the one line that I found REALLY interesting was this:

"Without Texas A&M leaving for the SEC, the SEC's own network wasn't lucrative enough to undertake. It was the eight million cable and satellite subscribers in Texas that made the SEC Network financially viable."

The SEC has so many small markets that it wouldnt have been financially feasable to start.... and yet many people when talking about conference realignment believe that if the Big 12 were to fold, teams like West Virginia or TCU could get into the SEC. I think this pretty much shows what it will take to move the needle within the SECs income.
05-17-2015 12:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
We are really bored if we are discussing articles from 2011
05-17-2015 12:43 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(05-17-2015 12:43 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  We are really bored if we are discussing articles from 2011

It was posted May 11th, 2015

05-17-2015 02:57 PM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(05-17-2015 12:24 PM)mtmedlin Wrote:  

Even with the $25 million they are making, I am not exactly certain they are making much money. Remember that they have to buy content at times. They have paid over a million each year to get an additional football game.
Then they have operational expenses which run in the millions and of courses taxes on all of that... but for arguments sake, let say they are making $5 million a year... [b]with over $40 million invested it will take them 8 years to just break even.[/b]
Thats a bad investment all the way around.

My point is, though, that the $40M is GONE. The $40M is only relevant if you're deciding today whether to start the LHN. But they're not. The question is, are LHN expenses in FY 2015 more or less than LHN revenues in 2015. It doesn't matter how much ESPN spent to build the studios or whatever. (Except in so far as the ESPN honchos that made the decision are still invested in it.)

Unless there is a time machine in Bristol somewhere, the choice is A) continue to operate the LHN or B) shut down the LHN. Since the network is making an operating profit (before deductions for debt, taxes, etc) the network is going to keep operating.

The only way the LHN would go away is if
A) ESPN figured out a way to make Texas want the LHN to go away
B) ESPN were losing so much money on the LHN that they would pay Texas to let them out of the contract.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 04:05 PM by johnbragg.)
05-17-2015 04:03 PM
Advertisement

RoyK Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia
(05-17-2015 12:04 PM)Knightbengal Wrote:  The network was a bribe and is the reason it would pay out what it regardless of it's subscriptions. That being said UT has no motivation to do anything until the end of the current contract cycle. There is a consolidation of content going on and that's why I think the acc grew. It was a hedge. Espn is probably going to lose the b10. If they do I thnk fox also goes hard after the b12. Then espn strips the core properties and sends them to the PAC. The texoma brands are worth the most and they will be sheltered in an espn conf. After that I think fox starts a network and will invite mostly eastern time zone population centers to make up for the lack of TVs in the the other markets. I think the AAC loses members then. Jmo

This I could see happening. Except about the PAC. I could see where UCF, USF,Cincinnati Tulane and Memphis maybe a New Mexico type.(long shot) would be very favorable as it brings new areas and gets into some new states. Nothing against Tulsa and Houston but I just think the markets are already saturated. Unless a Texas left or Oklahoma then it just doesn't make much sense. Longhorn network would morph into bug whatever network.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 05:33 PM by RoyK.)
05-17-2015 05:28 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane

because contracts are always honored and never have backdoor or performance clauses.

odd troll attempt defending espn and the lhn from a c7 fan. just odd
05-17-2015 06:06 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

(05-17-2015 05:28 PM)RoyK Wrote:  
(05-17-2015 12:04 PM)Knightbengal Wrote:  The network was a bribe and is the reason it would pay out what it regardless of it's subscriptions. That being said UT has no motivation to do anything until the end of the current contract cycle. There is a consolidation of content going on and that's why I think the acc grew. It was a hedge. Espn is probably going to lose the b10. If they do I thnk fox also goes hard after the b12. Then espn strips the core properties and sends them to the PAC. The texoma brands are worth the most and they will be sheltered in an espn conf. After that I think fox starts a network and will invite mostly eastern time zone population centers to make up for the lack of TVs in the the other markets. I think the AAC loses members then. Jmo

This I could see happening. Except about the PAC. I could see where UCF, USF,Cincinnati Tulane and Memphis maybe a New Mexico type.(long shot) would be very favorable as it brings new areas and gets into some new states. Nothing against Tulsa and Houston but I just think the markets are already saturated. Unless a Texas left or Oklahoma then it just doesn't make much sense. Longhorn network would morph into bug whatever network.

Depending what areas of US the saturated part you basing your point across is a point very much loudly overrated... Now this, having small town schools with absolutely ZERO market at all like many presently in the so called p5 who literally just bring a bag of peanuts and yet everyone says you must bring $15-20 million to the table in order to be invited. lol

Nothing against you but that's pretty much how I feel when someone mentions areas being saturated.

And too, I guess ESPN had the same business view/mindset and thought Texas was saturdated and paid dearly $$$ for the LHN. Brilliant.
05-17-2015 06:22 PM
ElectricCoogaloo Offline
Special Teams

What is all this 'ESPN saved the big 12' crap?

The LHN is the reason the big 12 almost imploded....
05-17-2015 08:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.