I Root For: Mean Green
UAB Boosters Pledge $6 Million To Revive Football
05-08-2015 08:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
RE: UAB Boosters Pledge $6 Million To Revive Football
A LOT more on the way. This was two weeks during the silent phase. Now we have gone public.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2015 04:50 PM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
05-09-2015 07:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Why did someone not take these steps a few years ago when you were planning the on campus stadium?
05-09-2015 08:45 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Survivor Runner-up
(05-09-2015 08:45 AM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  Why did someone not take these steps a few years ago when you were planning the on campus stadium?

We had $15 million and the boxes all sold for 5 years. There have been road blocks every step of the way. If the program is brought back, I think the bs is going to stop because of all the negative publicity lately.
05-09-2015 08:54 AM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(05-09-2015 08:54 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  If the program is brought back, I think the bs is going to stop because of all the negative publicity lately.

Do you base that expectation upon the BoT suddenly grasping the concept of shame, or intervention on the part of higher authorities? I wouldn't count on the former.
05-09-2015 10:10 AM
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-09-2015 10:10 AM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 08:54 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  If the program is brought back, I think the bs is going to stop because of all the negative publicity lately.

Do you base that expectation upon the BoT suddenly grasping the concept of shame, or intervention on the part of higher authorities? I wouldn't count on the former.

Oh they haven't found Jesus that's for sure, but this proposed legislation scares the bejesus out of them. If they allow UAB to restore their sports, the bills will lose steam for this year or any future year. It all depends on what is more important to the BOT, to kill UAB undergraduate programs and inherit the future students, or to erase the possibility of a couple of real UAB alumni on the board looking over their shoulders with a flashlight while they are work their nefarious deeds out of the light of day. The legislative threat would be a threat that could be used forever.

I'm good either way. One way we get our programs back and the BOT off our shoulders. The other way we can actually get very likely change in the actions of the board and hopfully some orange jump suits for the evilest.
05-09-2015 10:57 AM
Advertisement

HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(05-09-2015 10:57 AM)UABGrad Wrote:  Oh they haven't found Jesus that's for sure, but this proposed legislation scares the bejesus out of them. If they allow UAB to restore their sports, the bills will lose steam for this year or any future year. It all depends on what is more important to the BOT, to kill UAB undergraduate programs and inherit the future students, or to erase the possibility of a couple of real UAB alumni on the board looking over their shoulders with a flashlight while they are work their nefarious deeds out of the light of day. The legislative threat would be a threat that could be used forever.

I'm good either way. One way we get our programs back and the BOT off our shoulders. The other way we can actually get very likely change in the actions of the board and hopfully some orange jump suits for the evilest.

Now that's what I'm talking about. If you guys can hang an axe over their heads politically, you might get something done. Otherwise, you can raise 8 bajillion dollars and it won't matter in the end.

How are the prospects for the legislation looking? Is there enough UAB support in the statehouse to beat the Tiders in the building? If the BoT thinks they can win that battle, then the Long Game continues, and eventually, there will be no more UAB alumni to bug them.

Frankly, if I were in your shoes, I'd put the fundraising on the back burner because it's not and never was about that anyway. I'd concentrate every ounce of effort and every second of the day on a all-out assault on the political/legal front.
05-09-2015 11:13 AM
chidave Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I would imagine the fundraising gives more ammunition in the legal/political battle.
05-09-2015 11:18 AM
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-09-2015 11:13 AM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 10:57 AM)UABGrad Wrote:  Oh they haven't found Jesus that's for sure, but this proposed legislation scares the bejesus out of them. If they allow UAB to restore their sports, the bills will lose steam for this year or any future year. It all depends on what is more important to the BOT, to kill UAB undergraduate programs and inherit the future students, or to erase the possibility of a couple of real UAB alumni on the board looking over their shoulders with a flashlight while they are work their nefarious deeds out of the light of day. The legislative threat would be a threat that could be used forever.

Now that's what I'm talking about. If you guys can hang an axe over their heads politically, you might get something done. Otherwise, you can raise 8 bajillion dollars and it won't matter in the end.

How are the prospects for the legislation looking? Is there enough UAB support in the statehouse to beat the Tiders in the building? If the BoT thinks they can win that battle, then the Long Game continues, and eventually, there will be no more UAB alumni to bug them.

Frankly, if I were in your shoes, I'd put the fundraising on the back burner because it's not and never was about that anyway. I'd concentrate every ounce of effort and every second of the day on a all-out assault on the political/legal front.

The legislation is in both house and senate committees right now. This would be a five page post to try to tell even that portion of our fight. Let me just say the trustees themselves are in Montgomery fighting against these bills as is the most powerful Alabama lobbying firm. They wouldn't be there doing that if we were not a threat. Most of the legislative voting in Alabama happens in a flurry the last few days of the session. Our session ends in mid-June after the C-USA deadline. In my humble opinion if the admin lets this date slip by without a committment to reinstate, there may be a politcal backlash spark by the new protests. We sent 300 down the statehouse to sit in reps ofices and lobby in March. We may return with reinforcements. Hopefully on day someone will write a book on all that has happened and reveal all the stuff that hasn't been reported. Our Lt Gov was involved in one of the most dastardly deeds in Montgomery.
05-09-2015 11:39 AM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(05-09-2015 11:39 AM)UABGrad Wrote:  The legislation is in both house and senate committees right now. This would be a five page post to try to tell even that portion of our fight. Let me just say the trustees themselves are in Montgomery fighting against these bills as is the most powerful Alabama lobbying firm. They wouldn't be there doing that if we were not a threat. Most of the legislative voting in Alabama happens in a flurry the last few days of the session. Our session ends in mid-June after the C-USA deadline. In my humble opinion if the admin lets this date slip by without a committment to reinstate, there may be a politcal backlash spark by the new protests. We sent 300 down the statehouse to sit in reps ofices and lobby in March. We may return with reinforcements. Hopefully on day someone will write a book on all that has happened and reveal all the stuff that hasn't been reported. Our Lt Gov was involved in one of the most dastardly deeds in Montgomery.

Three questions:

1) Is the plan to follow through on this no matter what happens, or is this just the "or else" in "Give us football back or else?"

2) What's the timeline on the bills either dying in or making it out of committee?

3) How receptive have the legislators been to the lobbying efforts?

Ultimately, y'all have got to either fundamentally change the BoT or get out from under its thumb, even if they blink first in this one instance. They're not going to suddenly grow a conscience, see the error of their ways, and play nice rest of the way. If you simply force them to relent to bringing back football, they'll be screwing you again as soon as things cool off a little. If y'all can change the very rules of the game, though, then it's a whole new day.
05-09-2015 12:16 PM
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-09-2015 12:16 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 11:39 AM)UABGrad Wrote:  The legislation is in both house and senate committees right now. This would be a five page post to try to tell even that portion of our fight. Let me just say the trustees themselves are in Montgomery fighting against these bills as is the most powerful Alabama lobbying firm. They wouldn't be there doing that if we were not a threat. Most of the legislative voting in Alabama happens in a flurry the last few days of the session. Our session ends in mid-June after the C-USA deadline. In my humble opinion if the admin lets this date slip by without a committment to reinstate, there may be a politcal backlash spark by the new protests. We sent 300 down the statehouse to sit in reps ofices and lobby in March. We may return with reinforcements. Hopefully on day someone will write a book on all that has happened and reveal all the stuff that hasn't been reported. Our Lt Gov was involved in one of the most dastardly deeds in Montgomery.

Three questions:

1) Is the plan to follow through on this no matter what happens, or is this just the "or else" in "Give us football back or else?"

2) What's the timeline on the bills either dying in or making it out of committee?

3) How receptive have the legislators been to the lobbying efforts?

Ultimately, y'all have got to either fundamentally change the BoT or get out from under its thumb, even if they blink first in this one instance. They're not going to suddenly grow a conscience, see the error of their ways, and play nice rest of the way. If you simply force them to relent to bringing back football, they'll be screwing you again as soon as things cool off a little. If y'all can change the very rules of the game, though, then it's a whole new day.

1. The bills are written and in committee as we speak so they are real and there is no "or else" attached

2. I am no expert, but I believe it goes down to the last days of the session. IIRC that is June 15 this year.

3. We have those for it and those that are being pressured by the BOT. There is not way justifiable defendable position to oppose UAB having 2 members added to the 15 member BOT. I guess hey have to weigh justice against campaign funds. There is much more.

I suggest you join the freeuabfootball facebook page if you really want to keep up with all the twists and turns. There are like 13,000 members
05-09-2015 01:11 PM
Advertisement

FastTheo Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
Good luck to UAB.
05-09-2015 07:35 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
Before the football team retakes the field, UAB should rebrand itself as Birmingham for athletic purposes. Much like UNCC does by renaming itself, Charlotte. ESPN, CBS, Fox Sports and NBC Sports all refer to UNCC as Charlotte. You may not be able to free UAB, but you can still establish a new brand name.

Good Luck and welcome back.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 09:06 PM by Sirloin Burger.)
05-09-2015 08:56 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
UAB Boosters Pledge $6 Million To Revive Football
(05-09-2015 08:56 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  Before the football team retakes the field, UAB should rebrand itself as Birmingham for athletic purposes. Much like UNCC does by renaming itself, Charlotte. ESPN, CBS, Fox Sports and NBC Sports all refer to UNCC as Charlotte. You may not be able to free UAB, but you can still establish a new brand name.

Good Luck and welcome back.

I am for Birmingham!
05-10-2015 02:23 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Remember the basketball jerseys we broke out AFTER they killed football?

[Image: profile-pic-jersey.jpg]
05-10-2015 06:14 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
The Birmingham Blazers... I like it already! 04-cheers
05-10-2015 08:01 PM
Advertisement

Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
The media still refers to you as UAB. That should change.
05-10-2015 10:29 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
(05-10-2015 06:14 PM)Smaug Wrote:  Remember the basketball jerseys we broke out AFTER they killed football?

[Image: profile-pic-jersey.jpg]

I think this is the direction we should go.

I would love to see last year's football unis with Birmingham on the front instead of UAB.
05-11-2015 04:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cajunhawk2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Louisiana
(05-10-2015 10:29 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  The media still refers to you as UAB. That should change.

Is it that easy to get the media to call you what you want to be called?
05-12-2015 10:00 AM
blazerjay Offline

I Root For: UAB
Donators
(05-12-2015 10:00 AM)cajunhawk2 Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 10:29 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  The media still refers to you as UAB. That should change.

Is it that easy to get the media to call you what you want to be called?

No, it's not...it took a couple of decades to get them to finally begin to refer to us as UAB instead of Alabama-Birmingham.

Charlotte seemed to somehow pulled off the name change relatively quickly though.
05-12-2015 10:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.