Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So You Think The AAC Can't Potentially Poach Mountain West Schools?
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
So You Think The AAC Can't Potentially Poach Mountain West Schools?
Well, maybe we can. The unrest has officially begun. The special deal they gave Boise will eventually create tension between certain members. The UNLV AD is not happy and she's going public. Eventually, there will be a meeting at an Airport. Maybe Aresco will call it.

The Mountain West Conference's TV contract for football "has failed miserably for many schools, particularly UNLV," according to Ed Graney of the LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL. In the first two years of the league’s deal with CBS and ESPN, Boise State "will have made a conference-high" $3.7M from the Mountain West's bonus system, which "pays schools a specific amount for appearing on certain channels." Nine other schools "will have made anywhere from" $300,000 to $2.4M, while UNLV "will have made zero." Had the bonus money "been evenly distributed for two years," UNLV would have received $1.2M. UNLV AD Tina Kunzer-Murphy said, "It’s horrible. Everyone wants a piece of the pie. We’re no different. I’m concerned. Others are getting millions of dollars in this bonus system and we get nothing? It’s obviously a red flag." She added, "We have to get it changed, because it's not acceptable.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily...WC-TV.aspx
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2015 09:18 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-08-2015 08:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
RE: So You Think The AAC Can't Potentially Poach Mountain West Schools?
(05-08-2015 08:06 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Well, maybe we can. The unrest has officially begun. The special deal they gave Boise will eventually create between certain members. The UNLV AD is not happy and she's going public. Eventually, there will be a meeting at an Airport. Maybe Aresco will call it.

The Mountain West Conference's TV contract for football "has failed miserably for many schools, particularly UNLV," according to Ed Graney of the LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL. In the first two years of the league’s deal with CBS and ESPN, Boise State "will have made a conference-high" $3.7M from the Mountain West's bonus system, which "pays schools a specific amount for appearing on certain channels." Nine other schools "will have made anywhere from" $300,000 to $2.4M, while UNLV "will have made zero." Had the bonus money "been evenly distributed for two years," UNLV would have received $1.2M. UNLV AD Tina Kunzer-Murphy said, "It’s horrible. Everyone wants a piece of the pie. We’re no different. I’m concerned. Others are getting millions of dollars in this bonus system and we get nothing? It’s obviously a red flag." She added, "We have to get it changed, because it's not acceptable.

These type of deals always create animosity. Hence a good move by Aresco to walk away. I was a big fan of adding Boise but it would have ended poorly with this deal.

This same thing almost ripped the Big 12 apart.
05-08-2015 08:20 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
W/O Boise State they probably don't do themselves that much better on tv as they need BSU as a draw.
05-08-2015 08:22 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

Here are the bonus payments:

Boise State: $3.7 million
Fresno State: $2.4 million
Wyoming: $2.3 million
Utah State: $1.4 million
San Jose State: $900,000
San Diego State: $800,000
New Mexico: $800,000
UNR: $600,000
Colorado State: $500,000
Air Force: $300,000
UNLV: $0

Does this tell you how TV values the MWC schools? Or does it simply reflect how good those schools have been the last couple of years?

I think that the MWC makes $24M a year in TV money. Sounds like they carve out $6.6M per year for the "bonus pool."

So Boise (and all the MWC schools) are making about $1.4M per year "base." So Boise has made $2.8M + $3.7M or $6.5M in TV money the last two years. About $3.3M per year.
05-08-2015 08:26 PM
dailydrocks5 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ECU
The title of this thread couldn't be more misleading
05-08-2015 08:39 PM
mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
(05-08-2015 08:06 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Well, maybe we can. The unrest has officially begun. The special deal they gave Boise will eventually create between certain members. The UNLV AD is not happy and she's going public. Eventually, there will be a meeting at an Airport. Maybe Aresco will call it.

Those are some interesting numbers but they also concern me. If TV execs are giving extra to those teams then that means there is some level of value there. Makes me wonder if adding someone like UNLV is a good idea?

I am suprised that Air Force and CSU are so low also. It really makes me wonder what criteria is used to determine who gets put on TV.

If we were to add teams, we would need the help of ESPN and I am not certain they would do much. They already buy some MWC games.

Overall, I still just want Army, Air Force and CSU.... Id rather see the MWC crumble. Then maybe later we can grab a couple more... and I hope Boise St isnt one of them. Lets be honest, if they are forced into an even worse conference, then they will go away and no longer be a threat.... and theyre prima donna **** can go with them.
05-08-2015 08:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF

Wow. The mountain West really could implode.
05-08-2015 08:43 PM
CheeseSndwch Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Univ. Houston
I'm surprised they didn't set a minimum payout.
05-08-2015 08:49 PM
mtmedlin Offline

Ya know... if you REALLY want to screw Boise, the best move is to offer Air Force, CSU, UNLV and SDSU. If you look at a map for regional networks, UNLV/SDSU are close enough, and of course Air Force and CSU work. That would take us to 16 and cripple the MWC.

At that point, we hopefully get a good deal out of ESPN... if its solid enough, then you offer BYU. If they accept then you choose the best team left, which I prefer Fresno. I like Nevada but theres only so many spaces.

At that point, there is only 6 teams left and they are forced to accept Idaho (Go Vandals) and New Mexico St just to have a conference. Tell me Boise St wouldnt disappear after that.

As soon as they announced their football team being demoted back down to FCS Id send them a nice big greeting card with my condolences and sign it "The Big East/AAC conference teams... that you screwed"
05-08-2015 08:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pesik Offline
Legend

boise= texas lite
05-08-2015 09:05 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-08-2015 08:40 PM)mtmedlin Wrote:  

Those are some interesting numbers but they also concern me. If TV execs are giving extra to those teams then that means there is some level of value there. Makes me wonder if adding someone like UNLV is a good idea?

I am suprised that Air Force and CSU are so low also. It really makes me wonder what criteria is used to determine who gets put on TV.

If we were to add teams, we would need the help of ESPN and I am not certain they would do much. They already buy some MWC games.

Overall, I still just want Army, Air Force and CSU.... Id rather see the MWC crumble. Then maybe later we can grab a couple more... and I hope Boise St isnt one of them. Lets be honest, if they are forced into an even worse conference, then they will go away and no longer be a threat.... and theyre prima donna **** can go with them.

It's a little more complicated than that. For instance, take the Fresno and SDSU numbers. You only get the bonus for being on ESPN, ESPN2, or a major over the air channel. The issue for SDSU and Fresno is Boise is on a seperate ESPN contract that guarantees Boise is on ESPN or ESPN2 at least 3 times. Plus, their games are only available to ESPN.

On the other hand, the rest of the MW is on the main conference TV contract. CBS-Sports has tier one rights and gets to pick 10 games before ESPN gets to make a selection. Boise games are not available to CBS-Sports. So who does CBS-Sports Network pick? They pick the best Fresno, SDSU, and Air Force games. By the time ESPN finally gets to pick, the FSU/AF/SDSU games that are left are generally not games that ESPN would put on ESPN or ESPN2. Plus, once ESPN begins selecting games, CBS-Sports continues to get every other pick. So CBS continues gobbling up the better games and keeping those teams from getting the bonus as CBS-Sports games do not qualify for the bonus.

The current arrangement of the contracts puts most of the MW teams at a disadvantage. So, as you can see---the numbers do not tell the full story of value.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 01:25 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-08-2015 09:37 PM
Advertisement

Piratelife4me Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
(05-08-2015 09:05 PM)pesik Wrote:  boise= texas lite

Ultra lite
05-08-2015 09:49 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
The question is, if we pulled the rug out from under Boise, would they get the Marshall treatment if they backfilled with weak programs? Or would we make their path all that easier? They do have the track record after all, and managed to do well even in the WAC.
05-08-2015 09:54 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

DANGET HOW COME NOBODY TOLD ME I HAD PASSED 6,666 POSTS.
05-08-2015 09:54 PM
200yrs2late Online
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
The AAC should want nothing to do with MWC schools.
05-08-2015 10:00 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
(05-08-2015 09:54 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  The question is, if we pulled the rug out from under Boise, would they get the Marshall treatment if they backfilled with weak programs? Or would we make their path all that easier? They do have the track record after all, and managed to do well even in the WAC.

Dude you took the words right out of my mouth. How weak does their SOS have to get before we see some effect? I can't believe that talk that Marshall, if undefeated, was going to get the access bowl. If they just by fiat equate all the G5, we have a huge problem on our hands.
05-08-2015 10:24 PM
Advertisement

gostangs Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Texas is to Boise st as Guinness is to water.
05-08-2015 10:28 PM
mtmedlin Offline

(05-08-2015 10:24 PM)Bull Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 09:54 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  The question is, if we pulled the rug out from under Boise, would they get the Marshall treatment if they backfilled with weak programs? Or would we make their path all that easier? They do have the track record after all, and managed to do well even in the WAC.

Dude you took the words right out of my mouth. How weak does their SOS have to get before we see some effect? I can't believe that talk that Marshall, if undefeated, was going to get the access bowl. If they just by fiat equate all the G5, we have a huge problem on our hands.

I get where yall are going and as much as I hate Boise, then maybe the best move is to get Army to do a scheduling agreement. Then secure Air Force and CSU. Move BYU into a scheduling agreement and ask for 6 football games a year.
That should be enough to get a solid ESPN contract in 2019. If its enough, then we approach BYU about full membership and offer Boise St full membership too.
Thats 16 teams and the ballgame, cause at that point the MWC is done. We would have all we need. Anybody else I doubt would anything.

I honestly think an AAC that has Air Force, CSU, BYU and Boise St, along with 5-6 games of Army per year is a $7-8 million tv contract.

It also means there is a P5, the AAC and the bottom 4. We would have some room to ask for more of the G5 payout and possibly our champion in a decent paying game.

That gets us into the $10-12 million a year range. Its half of the ACC but were alive and we have some ammo to build on.

I will lose faith in Aresco if he doesnt make a move before our renegotiation. This is war and we need a consigliere that can handle it.
05-08-2015 10:48 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
Sorry but the aac will never sniff 10-12 million a year. It has already been relegated to 'other' status. Even if the conference deserves that much, it won't happen.
05-08-2015 10:53 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(05-08-2015 10:48 PM)mtmedlin Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 10:24 PM)Bull Wrote:  

I get where yall are going and as much as I hate Boise, then maybe the best move is to get Army to do a scheduling agreement. Then secure Air Force and CSU. Move BYU into a scheduling agreement and ask for 6 football games a year.
That should be enough to get a solid ESPN contract in 2019. If its enough, then we approach BYU about full membership and offer Boise St full membership too.
Thats 16 teams and the ballgame, cause at that point the MWC is done. We would have all we need. Anybody else I doubt would anything.

I honestly think an AAC that has Air Force, CSU, BYU and Boise St, along with 5-6 games of Army per year is a $7-8 million tv contract.

It also means there is a P5, the AAC and the bottom 4. We would have some room to ask for more of the G5 payout and possibly our champion in a decent paying game.

That gets us into the $10-12 million a year range. Its half of the ACC but were alive and we have some ammo to build on.

I will lose faith in Aresco if he doesnt make a move before our renegotiation. This is war and we need a consigliere that can handle it.

Honestly, I think all the moves he could make have been made, it's just a matter of waiting.

Between the grandfathering of Navy's rights in 2018, the potential for the Army-Navy game, increased stability for the long term, and the clear leader in tv ratings amongst the non-P5, that alone will get us in the $5 million range.
05-08-2015 10:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.