Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Austin Bowl and Cure Bowl Officially Approved By NCAA For 2015
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN · 6m6 minutes ago
NCAA certifies new bowls in Tucson (MW-CUSA), Austin (AAC-SB), Orlando (AAC-SB), sources tell @ESPN; record 42 bowls in 2015
05-05-2015 08:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
RE: Austin Bowl and Cure Bowl Officially Approved By NCAA For 2015
good news
05-05-2015 08:41 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF, UofH, AAC!
I'm excited for both, especially for Austin. We needed a Texas bowl, and now we have one in a city with no competing bowl. I hope Austin and the AAC both go all-in and make this an awesome event. (Regardless of who the opponent is!)
05-05-2015 08:43 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
I know the Austin bowl people and they are excited
05-05-2015 08:47 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
I'm stoked

We know the AAC will send a darn good team here, hope the opponent equals the AAC's.
05-05-2015 11:14 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(05-05-2015 08:14 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  record 42 bowls in 2015

Holy sh*t that's a bunch
05-05-2015 11:46 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

Well--I actually thought this was a typo---but there is more news in the McMurphy tweet. The Austin Bowl was roundly believed to be AAC vs CUSA. Its not---its AAC vs Sunbelt. Dennis Dodd at CBS-Sports is saying the same thing. Also, the game may not be at DKR Stadium, apparently----they are considering playing the thing at a MINOR league baseball stadium.......Dell stadium in Round Rock (just my guess)? If they are going to Round Rock, it sure makes a lot more sense to play the thing 20 minutes away in San Marcos (recenty expanded/remodeled 30K stadium).

The Austin game will feature a matchup between teams from the American Athletic Conference and the Sun Belt. In Tucson and Orlando, representatives from Conference USA and the Mountain West will meet.

Austin bowl officials have spoken to University of Texas officials about playing the game in Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. Playing at a nearby minor league baseball stadium remains a possibility, too.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...-landscape
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 12:57 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-06-2015 12:36 AM
SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
(05-06-2015 12:36 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Well--I actually thought this was a typo---but there is more news in the McMurphy tweet. The Austin Bowl was roundly believed to be AAC vs CUSA. Its not---its AAC vs Sunbelt. Dennis Dodd at CBS-Sports is saying the same thing. Also, the game may not be at DKR Stadium, apparently----they are considering playing the thing at a MINOR league baseball stadium.......Dell stadium in Round Rock (just my guess)? If they are going to Round Rock, it sure makes a lot more sense to play the thing 20 minutes away in San Marcos (recenty expanded/remodeled 30K stadium).

The Austin game will feature a matchup between teams from the American Athletic Conference and the Sun Belt. In Tucson and Orlando, representatives from Conference USA and the Mountain West will meet.

Austin bowl officials have spoken to University of Texas officials about playing the game in Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. Playing at a nearby minor league baseball stadium remains a possibility, too.

Why would the NCAA approve this bowl if a location wasn't yet solidified?
05-06-2015 01:18 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-06-2015 01:18 AM)SApuro Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 12:36 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Well--I actually thought this was a typo---but there is more news in the McMurphy tweet. The Austin Bowl was roundly believed to be AAC vs CUSA. Its not---its AAC vs Sunbelt. Dennis Dodd at CBS-Sports is saying the same thing. Also, the game may not be at DKR Stadium, apparently----they are considering playing the thing at a MINOR league baseball stadium.......Dell stadium in Round Rock (just my guess)? If they are going to Round Rock, it sure makes a lot more sense to play the thing 20 minutes away in San Marcos (recenty expanded/remodeled 30K stadium).

The key items needed are an agreement between two conferences, a tv contract, and a million dollar bond to show financial security. I guess they are flexible with venue. The bowl probabky has a signed option on DKR-----my guess is DKR's 100K+ seating will look silly with a G5 bowl crowd so they are checking out available alternatives.
05-06-2015 01:30 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
(05-06-2015 01:30 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 01:18 AM)SApuro Wrote:  

The key items needed are an agreement between two conferences, a tv contract, and a million dollar bond to show financial security. I guess they are flexible with venue. The bowl probabky has a signed option on DKR-----my guess is DKR's 100K+ seating will look silly with a G5 bowl crowd so they are checking out available alternatives.

That should have been figures out before being approve.
05-06-2015 05:43 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
(05-05-2015 08:41 PM)No Bull Wrote:  good news

Good news as soon the bowl bubble will burst and we'll have a true playoff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
05-06-2015 07:05 AM
Advertisement

Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF, UofH, AAC!

What???? What the hell is going on here?? Are we actually TRYING to look G-5 bush league?

Googled the options... the Dell stadium looks like a joke for football. Tiny and the majority of the seats would be around the end zone. The San Marcos (Bobcat Stadium, right?) looks pretty good size, and it's actually a football stadium.

I thought this would be attractive to actually be IN Austin, and at such a well known venue. Frankly, lots of bowls don't get huge crowds, as we've discussed they are primarily for TV. Bowls always showcase the city a bit, I just don't see San Marcos being as much a positive as the Capital of Texas.

Can someone explain to me why, if we want a bowl in Texas, we want a football stadium that's perfectly sized, we don't just have it in the Coogs stadium? Brand new, Houston only has one bowl (at Reliant), and having it at a member school ought to help attendance a bit.

smh...
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 07:34 AM by Bull.)
05-06-2015 07:31 AM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF Knights
(05-06-2015 07:31 AM)Bull Wrote:  

What???? What the hell is going on here?? Are we actually TRYING to look G-5 bush league?

Googled the options... the Dell stadium looks like a joke for football. Tiny and the majority of the seats would be around the end zone. The San Marcos (Bobcat Stadium, right?) looks pretty good size, and it's actually a football stadium.

I thought this would be attractive to actually be IN Austin, and at such a well known venue. Frankly, lots of bowls don't get huge crowds, as we've discussed they are primarily for TV. Bowls always showcase the city a bit, I just don't see San Marcos being as much a positive as the Capital of Texas.

Can someone explain to me why, if we want a bowl in Texas, we want a football stadium that's perfectly sized, we don't just have it in the Coogs stadium? Brand new, Houston only has one bowl (at Reliant), and having it at a member school ought to help attendance a bit.

smh...

I agree the game at Dell Diamond (Seating capacity around 12k would be a complete joke). I've never been a fan of football games in baseball specific stadiums as the field doesn't fit very well and the seats are almost all on one side of the stadium (I was at the 2014 St Petersburg Bowl at Tropicana Field).

Anyways, if not too far the game at Texas State's Bobcat Stadium in San Marcos (30 miles south of Austin) would be PERFECT. New expansion/renovation, football specific with 30k seats. Perfect size for this bowl game.
05-06-2015 07:49 AM
justin_sane15 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH and Texas St
[Image: l4j8a.jpg]
05-06-2015 08:30 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
(05-06-2015 08:30 AM)justin_sane15 Wrote:  [Image: l4j8a.jpg]

Ha, ha, very good. I have no idea why we sign these games with the Sun Belt. Aresco hopefully knows what he is doing here.
05-06-2015 08:38 AM
Danger in Carolina Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU & AAC & MWC
Great locations. Wish we had better match-ups. One against MWC would have been nice knowing it is probably next to impossible to get a P5 match-up.
05-06-2015 08:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
(05-06-2015 08:38 AM)Danger in Carolina Wrote:  Great locations. Wish we had better match-ups. One against MWC would have been nice knowing it is probably next to impossible to get a P5 match-up.

I agree I don't know why we didn't get the MWC to play in this game. Why are we in bed with the Sun Belt which most consider #10 out of 10. Just makes not making a strong push for New Orleans even more odd in my opinion. Not that it is great but at least it is in New Orleans getting one of the top couple of teams. This bowl will be getting the 4th or 5th sun belt team.
05-06-2015 08:58 AM
rollgreenwave Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
(05-06-2015 08:38 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 08:30 AM)justin_sane15 Wrote:  [Image: l4j8a.jpg]

Ha, ha, very good. I have no idea why we sign these games with the Sun Belt. Aresco hopefully knows what he is doing here.

Higher win percentage in the post-season?
05-06-2015 09:20 AM
USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

I Root For: South Florida
You can say what you want but, our Bowl line-up and opponents have ESPN's hands all over them. It's a continual process of devaluing the product. Yes we fill a content need but, we're only there so they can promote their other conferences during our telecast's.

Aresco, I'm looking at you. I used to support you, now I'm not so sure whose side you're on. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 09:21 AM by USFRamenu.)
05-06-2015 09:20 AM
Danger in Carolina Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU & AAC & MWC
(05-06-2015 09:20 AM)USFRamenu Wrote:  You can say what you want but, our Bowl line-up and opponents have ESPN's hands all over them. It's a continual process of devaluing the product. Yes we fill a content need but, we're only there so they can promote their other conferences during our telecast's.

Aresco, I'm looking at you. I used to support you, now I'm not so sure whose side you're on. 07-coffee3

Overall I agree. On the surface it would be crazy for ESPN to devalue product they own.

But the truth is they have more than enough inventory and the costs down the road of running / servicing the P5 networks they have are rising. So the end result is to make the costs of the other properties they have an interest in less costly to run.

We are caught in an ugly giant sucking vortex with ESPN. Play by their rules and get devalued, but have the exposure of the most prominent sports network in the world. Try for a better deal with less watched NBC or Fox and lose because editorially they will make the conference irrelevant.
05-06-2015 09:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.