Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2 weekends to go in Belt baseball season
Bookmark and Share
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
Stange happenings this weekend with USA sweeping GS in Statesboro and Louisiana losing 2 of 3 to App in Boone.

Louisiana hurt their chances of an at-large a good bit by dropping 2 in Boone. Their RPI is now 53 and that won't get it done. They still have some time to lower it however.

As I see it now South Alabama is the clear front runner. I got to see 1 game this weekend vs. GS and came away very impressed with their offensive approach. They consistently put the ball in play and have enough speed to make things happen on the bases. South's RPI of 86 however isn't going to get them any consideration as an at-large if they don't win the tournament.
05-03-2015 07:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: 2 weekends to go in Belt baseball season
(05-03-2015 07:58 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Stange happenings this weekend with USA sweeping GS in Statesboro and Louisiana losing 2 of 3 to App in Boone.

Louisiana hurt their chances of an at-large a good bit by dropping 2 in Boone. Their RPI is now 53 and that won't get it done. They still have some time to lower it however.

As I see it now South Alabama is the clear front runner. I got to see 1 game this weekend vs. GS and came away very impressed with their offensive approach. They consistently put the ball in play and have enough speed to make things happen on the bases. South's RPI of 86 however isn't going to get them any consideration as an at-large if they don't win the tournament.

Why is that strange?
05-03-2015 09:04 PM
SBEagle Offline
1st String

Re: RE: 2 weekends to go in Belt baseball season
(05-03-2015 09:04 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(05-03-2015 07:58 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Stange happenings this weekend with USA sweeping GS in Statesboro and Louisiana losing 2 of 3 to App in Boone.

Why is that strange?

Are you really asking that?
05-03-2015 09:18 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I think it has been 3 years since we were swept at home in a conference series so it is a bit strange or unusual. But I will give the Jaguars full credit. They were clearly the better team this weekend.
05-03-2015 09:19 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(05-03-2015 09:19 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  I think it has been 3 years since we were swept at home in a conference series so it is a bit strange or unusual. But I will give the Jaguars full credit. They were clearly the better team this weekend.

. . . .And Welcome to Sun Belt Baseball!
05-03-2015 09:27 PM
Advertisement

IdahoCajun Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns

Why is that strange?

I was asking myself the same thing. If he was so impressed with USA, then what is so strange. The more strange thing is the Cajuns losing the series to Appalachian St since they only 1 series before this weekend.

Cajun hitting and pitching is so inconsistent. They had more homeruns yesterday than hits today. You never know which team will show up. Alot of inexperience with 3 Freshman pitchers in the weekend rotation and only one hitter who started last year.
05-03-2015 09:32 PM
CajunFan3406 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UL
(05-03-2015 09:32 PM)IdahoCajun Wrote:  

Why is that strange?

I was asking myself the same thing. If he was so impressed with USA, then what is so strange. The more strange thing is the Cajuns losing the series to Appalachian St since they only 1 series before this weekend.

Cajun hitting and pitching is so inconsistent. They had more homeruns yesterday than hits today. You never know which team will show up. Alot of inexperience with 3 Freshman pitchers in the weekend rotation and only one hitter who started last year.

Butler (RF), Trahan (SS), and Girouard (DH) were all in the starting lineup last year.
05-04-2015 06:34 AM
Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

(05-03-2015 09:27 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(05-03-2015 09:19 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  I think it has been 3 years since we were swept at home in a conference series so it is a bit strange or unusual. But I will give the Jaguars full credit. They were clearly the better team this weekend.

. . . .And Welcome to Sun Belt Baseball!

I like the quality of SBC Baseball, but honestly it's not that big of a change. The Citadel, Western Carolina, College of Charleston, and Samford all have programs that will compete with any G5 and many P5's. Other regional teams like Mercer, Coastal Carolina, Kennesaw State, and Stetson are also strong. Baseball doesn't fall in line with differences in strength like Football or basketball. It's all about finding those players the MLB scouts missed.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2015 11:53 AM by Eagle's Cliff.)
05-04-2015 11:53 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

South is ranked #97 in batting average. Good, but not great. If they were hitting the covers off the ball all year I would be more inclined to give them more credit, but from what I saw we did ourselves absolutely no favors with how we managed the pitching staff not only in terms of changes but in how they pitched.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are probably the best team in the league, but what I watched this weekend wasn't Georgia Southern baseball.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2015 12:09 PM by EigenEagle.)
05-04-2015 12:06 PM
Advertisement

SkullyMaroo Offline

(05-04-2015 12:06 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  South is ranked #97 in batting average. Good, but not great. If they were hitting the covers off the ball all year I would be more inclined to give them more credit, but from what I saw we did ourselves absolutely no favors with how we managed the pitching staff not only in terms of changes but in how they pitched.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are probably the best team in the league, but what I watched this weekend wasn't Georgia Southern baseball.

USA is #97 nationally in batting average. It's good but not great as you say, but it is good enough to be #1 in the Sun Belt. USA is #38 nationally in ERA, which is also #1 in the Sun Belt.
05-04-2015 12:19 PM
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

(05-04-2015 12:19 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(05-04-2015 12:06 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  South is ranked #97 in batting average. Good, but not great. If they were hitting the covers off the ball all year I would be more inclined to give them more credit, but from what I saw we did ourselves absolutely no favors with how we managed the pitching staff not only in terms of changes but in how they pitched.

USA is #97 nationally in batting average. It's good but not great as you say, but it is good enough to be #1 in the Sun Belt. USA is #38 nationally in ERA, which is also #1 in the Sun Belt.

If you look at the stats, the only surprise should be the Georgia Southern pitching. I know Challenger had a bad day because I have seen him play better than that. I'm not sure how all of your pitchers struggled the same weekend, but they did.

Here is a look at some stats that I thought were interesting:

- USA's batters strike out less than any other team in the conference (231 times this season, #2 team has 288). USA struck out 2 times in this series.
- USA's pitchers have struck out the most batters in the conference (406, #2 team has 348). USA struck out 31 batters in this series
- USA is #1 (have bounced between #1 and #2) in fielding percentage. USA comitted 1 error in this series.

On the other side...
- GS's batters have the most strikeouts this season (439, #2 team has 385). GS struck out 31 times in this series.
- GS ranks last in the conference in fielding. GS commited 7 errors in this series.

I'm not at all saying Georgia Southern is a bad team, but this was not a good matchup for Georgia Southern. This also seems to be the same problems that Georgia Southern has struggled with all year, not just this weekend.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2015 01:24 PM by USAJag2011.)
05-04-2015 01:22 PM
eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
Rodney Hennon. Our starting pitching is the strength of the team. Our bullpen is a joke. Yet, the guy continues to pull the starters far too early just about every single game.
05-05-2015 01:58 AM
SkullyMaroo Offline

(05-05-2015 01:58 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  Rodney Hennon. Our starting pitching is the strength of the team. Our bullpen is a joke. Yet, the guy continues to pull the starters far too early just about every single game.

I recall at least twice in our series where there were three different GS pitchers that appeared in a single inning. How often does that happen?
05-05-2015 07:52 AM
Advertisement

FLEagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(05-05-2015 07:52 AM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 01:58 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  Rodney Hennon. Our starting pitching is the strength of the team. Our bullpen is a joke. Yet, the guy continues to pull the starters far too early just about every single game.

I recall at least twice in our series where there were three different GS pitchers that appeared in a single inning. How often does that happen?

Just about every game. Hell, we used 9 pitchers against CofC two weeks ago in a midweek game. Put in our "closer" and blew a 3 run lead with 2 outs in the 9th
05-05-2015 08:50 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I just want the season to be over with. Need to make staff changes and forget this whole mess every happened.
05-05-2015 10:25 AM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(05-05-2015 10:25 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I just want the season to be over with. Need to make staff changes and forget this whole mess every happened.

What's wrong with the staff u have? I say extend the contract!03-drunk
05-05-2015 10:30 AM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
App officially can't make the tourney. Three games behind and UALR and ULM who are fighting for 8th, but they play each other this weekend so someone is guaranteed to win a game.
05-05-2015 11:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.