Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Map showing where your school finds recruits.
Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:
Map showing where your school finds recruits.
Thought some might find this interesting.

http://www.mapgameday.com/recruit/confer...ig%20East/

Got this from another board.
04-22-2007 04:16 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

OUBOBCATJOHN Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats

Cincinnati - 4 different states
Miami-OH 6 different states
Ohio- 10 different states

The Solich effect at Ohio is unique for a non-bcs school. Ohio has rare exposure for a non-bcs school. The Bobcats landed kids from NY,CA, WA, AZ, TX, FL and Nebraska. That shows how well things are going for Frank Solich at Ohio. That is national recruiting.

A story many years ago when an recuit from Hawaii showed up......he didn't realize Ohio State was so far from Columbus and wondered why the horseshoe was so small. He assumed he was being recruited by Ohio State because he didn't think there was a difference Ohio State University and Ohio University.
04-23-2007 12:13 AM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska

Good link. I'm surprised WVU doesn't land any North Carolina recruits considering the ECU game is an annual matchup.
04-23-2007 07:24 AM
Brick City Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For:

Don't forget about half of North Carolina residents were born in West Virginia. ;-)
04-23-2007 07:30 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

OUBOBCATJOHN Wrote:Cincinnati - 4 different states
Miami-OH 6 different states
Ohio- 10 different states

The Solich effect at Ohio is unique for a non-bcs school. Ohio has rare exposure for a non-bcs school. The Bobcats landed kids from NY,CA, WA, AZ, TX, FL and Nebraska. That shows how well things are going for Frank Solich at Ohio. That is national recruiting.

A story many years ago when an recuit from Hawaii showed up......he didn't realize Ohio State was so far from Columbus and wondered why the horseshoe was so small. He assumed he was being recruited by Ohio State because he didn't think there was a difference Ohio State University and Ohio University.

And your point is? 01-wingedeagle

If you are yet again attempting to make a case for Ohio or Miami to be in the Big East over Cincinnati or in addition to Cincinnati I don't believe the # of different states the football program gets their recruits from is a strong argument.

In the first place UC had to recruit this past season with a new coaching staff so it was not possible for them to lay the groundwork all over the nation. UC has in the past recruited very well all over the country and I have no doubt that will continue to be the case as Coach Kelly and his staff develop.

And I really don't care where the Bearcats get their recruits from as long as they are good players. If all they have are players from the states of Ohio and Michigan, you can build one heck of a team that way.
04-23-2007 07:34 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

It is a neat site--I loaded this information in for Syracuse--for tailgating/visitor info.

http://www.mapgameday.com/school/71/
04-23-2007 08:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

I show 6 states for UC. Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Tennessee. Not sure what you are looking at. UC also has within recent years brought guys in from Kentucky, California, Georgia, and Florida.
04-23-2007 09:10 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Good link. I'm surprised WVU doesn't land any North Carolina recruits considering the ECU game is an annual matchup.

-- WVU doesn't play ECU for recruiting although we have gotten a hand full of kids from NC over the yrs. We do play the game because of the amount of WV transplants and WVU alums that live in NC

-- Don't be suprised if WVU starts scheduling another NC school in football. There are a lot of rumors of a Wake Forest/WVU football series coming down the line and for the same reasons

Jackson
04-23-2007 01:08 PM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska

WVU-Wake would be an interesting matchup due to the unique offense featured by each team. I'd like to see that happen. I've enjoyed the WVU-ECU series over the years; I just figured it would yield more NC recruits to the Mountaineers. Since they're both in C-USA, how viable it is to continue playing ECU now that the Marshall series is happening?
04-23-2007 01:23 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:I've enjoyed the WVU-ECU series over the years; I just figured it would yield more NC recruits to the Mountaineers. Since they're both in C-USA, how viable it is to continue playing ECU now that the Marshall series is happening?

-- That's a tough question to answer. From the outside looking in the future of the WVU/ECU series depends on a few variables

A) What kind of contract would ECU be willing to accept? Would the Pirates take a 2 for 1 or a 3 for 2 from West Virginia? I can't imagine WVU take a 1 for 1 from ECU in the long term

B) What will the future of the Marshall series be? Will the two school continue to play or will the series last only as long as the current Governor is in power?

C) If WVU and ECU do sign a deal, how many of the ECU home games would the Pirates be willing to play in Charlotte?

WVU already has on annual non conference foe in Maryland, and may have two if the state government is insistent on playing the Herd series. I don't know if WVU can schedule ECU to a one and one as well and still get seven home games per yr and schedule big time one and ones with BCS powers. Its very possible that the Pirate series will get lost in the shuffle in the future

Again, JMO

Jackson
04-23-2007 06:18 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Isnt Maryland getting out of an annual game with WV?
I thought i read it somewhere that they dont want to play annually.
04-23-2007 06:22 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Isnt Maryland getting out of an annual game with WV?
I thought i read it somewhere that they dont want to play annually

-- Its going on a two year hiatus so the Terps can play Cal after the game in College Park this fall. I guess they didn't want to play WVU and Cal non conference during the same yr. Officially at least, the series will continue after the two yr gap

I would be very suprised if this series did not continue. Frankly, its a money maker for both schools

Jackson
04-23-2007 06:58 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

Jackson, what is the setup in the WVU-Marshall contract? I believe I read a post recently on the CUSA board from a Herd fan that said the contract involves an unusual and creative "win" component to determine how many games each team got.

If my understanding was correct its a 7 year deal (starting this past fall), that rotates between venues, with it being WVU 4 and Marshall 3. He said something though about how a WVU win this year means they steal 1 of the 3 home games from the Herd. What's the deal there?
04-23-2007 09:22 PM
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mid American

bearcatfan Wrote:And your point is? 01-wingedeagle

If you are yet again attempting to make a case for Ohio or Miami to be in the Big East over Cincinnati or in addition to Cincinnati I don't believe the # of different states the football program gets their recruits from is a strong argument.

Here is a strong argument for Ohio or Miami to the Big East....

Recruits by state

Ohio 136....(Ohio/Miami)
North Carolina 92....(ECU)
Tennesse 57....(Memphis)
New York 29....(Buffalo)
Massachusetts 12....(UMass)
West Virginia 5....(Marshall)

The Big East already has 1 Ohio school with UC in the conference.....so what is said on here is UMass adds a state to the Big E, while Miami/Ohio does not but what kind of football state is it adding?

A) The state of Ohio has twice the population of Mass. and 10 times the amount of football talent......there is far more talent to tap into with a second school from Ohio in the Big East than 1 school from Mass.

B) UC is not a strong Big East football school and could use an instate conference rival to generate more interest in Big East football in Ohio.

C) Miami has a good tradition in 1-A and can expand its stadium to 41k. Ohio has expansion designs for a 36k stadium. Freaking UMass is still a 1-AA school.

D) Miami/Ohio are residential campuses appealing to recruits and would compliment UC's urban campus setting. UMass is a cheap imitation of UConn, adding nothing new up in New England.

For some reason these points have been obvious to me, but everyone else on here pretty much thinks UMass is the savior because it adds another state.......its silly.
04-23-2007 10:38 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Jackson, what is the setup in the WVU-Marshall contract? I believe I read a post recently on the CUSA board from a Herd fan that said the contract involves an unusual and creative "win" component to determine how many games each team got.

If my understanding was correct its a 7 year deal (starting this past fall), that rotates between venues, with it being WVU 4 and Marshall 3. He said something though about how a WVU win this year means they steal 1 of the 3 home games from the Herd. What's the deal there

-- Basically its a seven yr contract. The winner of 2 out of the first three gets an extra home game. So in other words if WVU wins one out of the next two the series becomes a 5 for 2. If Marshall wind the next couple games the series becomes a 4 for 3.

Can you tell it was written by a politican?? ;-)

Jackson
04-24-2007 07:00 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

Airport KC Wrote:Here is a strong argument for Ohio or Miami to the Big East....

You can have all the arguments you want, neither school will be invited into the Big East. Cincinnati has a better hope for people to be interested in the Big East because the city is not full of OSU fans like everywhere else in Ohio. Athens and Oxford are both huge OSU cities, while Cincinnati is split in a bunch of different ways.

A knock against Miami is that they are basically in the same market as Cincinnati, they won't want to add another school in the same market.

Ohio just doesn't have the overall athletic program to bring anything to the Big East. Basketball is mediocre at best, football is as bad historically as Cincinnati (probably worse).

Cincinnati brings along a pretty good fan base (especially in basketball), a major TV market, a state with a lot of football recruits (which Ohio and Miami would not help the rest of the Big East recruit in), a top 10 basketball program historically... Miami and Ohio U. just can't do any of that.
04-24-2007 07:17 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

Airport KC Wrote:
bearcatfan Wrote:And your point is? 01-wingedeagle

Here is a strong argument for Ohio or Miami to the Big East....

Recruits by state

Ohio 136....(Ohio/Miami)
North Carolina 92....(ECU)
Tennesse 57....(Memphis)
New York 29....(Buffalo)
Massachusetts 12....(UMass)
West Virginia 5....(Marshall)

If that's the only thing that matters...then why not another school in FLA...which had 325 Div I signees? (211 that went out of STATE!)

Texas, California, then Florida had the most High School players sign Div I Scholarships this past Feb (or Dec '06).

There is a reason why Big East Teams like Rutges, UL, West Virginia, Pitt, and even now CT, (and Syracuse in the past...who use to dominate South FL) like to recruit in FLA...because there are a TON of good players...and many (66% just this past year) that don't mind leaving FLA to go to an out-of-state school.

PS. If Miami/Ohio campuses' residential setting was so appealing to recruits...where are the Top 20 recruiting classes?
04-24-2007 07:56 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC

I can't speak for OU but Miami's attendance makes UC look like OSU or Michigan. I think if a fan is running late to a Redhawk game you just call the school and they hold up the game for you since the only other people there are related to the players.
04-24-2007 08:04 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

mlb Wrote:
Airport KC Wrote:Here is a strong argument for Ohio or Miami to the Big East....

You can have all the arguments you want, neither school will be invited into the Big East. Cincinnati has a better hope for people to be interested in the Big East because the city is not full of OSU fans like everywhere else in Ohio. Athens and Oxford are both huge OSU cities, while Cincinnati is split in a bunch of different ways.

A knock against Miami is that they are basically in the same market as Cincinnati, they won't want to add another school in the same market.

Ohio just doesn't have the overall athletic program to bring anything to the Big East. Basketball is mediocre at best, football is as bad historically as Cincinnati (probably worse).

Cincinnati brings along a pretty good fan base (especially in basketball), a major TV market, a state with a lot of football recruits (which Ohio and Miami would not help the rest of the Big East recruit in), a top 10 basketball program historically... Miami and Ohio U. just can't do any of that.

Add to that the fact that UC is already in the Big East and does not have to apologize for it or take a back seat to anyone.

UC football had a good season last year and is on the rise. Football attendance will grow considerably this season. Basketball just had a good recruiting season and is on the fast track back to national prominence.

Oh - and one other thing - THE BIG EAST DOES NOT HAVE PLANS FOR EXPANSION!
04-24-2007 08:16 AM
Airport KC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mid American

mlb Wrote:

Have you ever been to Athens or Oxford?

They are not huge cities.....do they have some OSU fans at those schools.....sure if they are from Columbus.

Do they have any Big East fans? Nobody cares about Big East football in those towns......you can extend that to the rest of Ohio.

Ohio/Miami type college town would add a different recruiting environment to the Big East......it would pickup players for the Big East that do not want to play in the big city.

UC has a nice fan base in the cincinnati area but Ohio has students statewide and when the two schools played basketball up in Cleveland.......Ohio fans outdrew UC fans 3 to 1.

Ohio is far from medicore in basketball.

-We have a 13,000 seat arena.
-We have been as high as #5 in the polls.
-We have beaten UK and Louisville in the NCAA tourney.
-We have beaten UConn, Syracuse, UCLA, UNC, UVA, OSU, ect all in recent years.

Not many mid majors have this kind of resume.
04-24-2007 10:46 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.