Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

big12 comish announces move to hold championship gsme!
Bookmark and Share
trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
According to a press release, the big12 will strive to have a conference championship game. If the deregulation of the current rules doesn't pass then they will be looking to expand. Apparently after the big12 meetingthey decided that not having the extra game hurts them in the new playoff system.

Here we go boys and girls.

Sorry no link, just read the article on my sports app.
04-30-2015 08:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
RE: big12 comish announces move to hold championship gsme!
(04-30-2015 08:04 PM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  According to a press release, the big12 will strive to have a conference championship game. If the deregulation of the current rules doesn't pass then they will be looking to expand. Apparently after the big12 meetingthey decided that not having the extra game hurts them in the new playoff system.

If you're reading this story:

Quote:Bowlsby, who was attending the CFP meetings in Irving, said he learned from selection committee chairman Jeff Long the importance of having a conference championship game.

"What we heard was that if we don't go to a championship game, we're at a disadvantage," Bowlsby said. "If we don't make changes, we're potentially going into the season with a short stick in our hand."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...wlsby-says

then it doesn't say a thing about expansion, only that they realized that not having a championship game hurt their chances at the end of the year. Most folks think the NCAA will deregulate and let the conferences decide their own structure for a championship game.
04-30-2015 08:28 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(04-30-2015 08:04 PM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  According to a press release, the big12 will strive to have a conference championship game. If the deregulation of the current rules doesn't pass then they will be looking to expand. Apparently after the big12 meetingthey decided that not having the extra game hurts them in the new playoff system.

CBS Sports and SB Nation both have recent stories on this . . . . I'm sure others do as well . . . . It was made clear to Bowlsby (Big 12 Comish) that NOT having a CG put the 10 in the 12 at a disadvantage under the "New" playoff model.

Not a big surprise there . . . . What will be interesting, is whom the 10 in the 12 go after if/when the NCAA rejects their bid to have a CG with less than 12 members . . .

If the 12 expands, it'll be interesting watching the Dominoes fall . . .

The silly season may be getting ready to get interesting . . . .

Any Bobcats out there close to Larry, tell him to dust off the 'ol PP . . . . You know. .. . Just in case. .
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 08:34 PM by Bobcat87.)
04-30-2015 08:30 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
12 isnt expanding

Deregulation will allow 10 team title games. Memphis and Cincy don't help their football situation.
04-30-2015 09:04 PM
Louisiana99 Online
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(04-30-2015 09:04 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  12 isnt expanding

Deregulation will allow 10 team title games. Memphis and Cincy don't help their football situation.

Unless the SEC says 10 team title games aren't allowed... Big 12 don't call the shots
04-30-2015 09:05 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-30-2015 09:05 PM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  

Unless the SEC says 10 team title games aren't allowed... Big 12 don't call the shots

All the Big 12 has to do is say that them expanding means eventually more teams in FBS (SEC does not want that) and they'll get their way.

Especially with the ACC pushing to get rid of the 2 division requirement. The Big 12 could cripple themselves if they take two very average AAC programs...they will do everything in their power to make sure the 12 team rule goes away. They'll get their way.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 09:09 PM by chiefsfan.)
04-30-2015 09:08 PM
Advertisement

Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
Re: big12 comish announces move to hold championship gsme!
I'm not so sure chief. The other conferences have nothing to gain by pushing this through.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
04-30-2015 09:09 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
Lol.
If you think the P5 is concerned about a few FCS call ups, you need your head checked.
04-30-2015 09:14 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(04-30-2015 09:14 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  Lol.
If you think the P5 is concerned about a few FCS call ups, you need your head checked.

. . . Yeah, speaking of call ups . . . . When are you guys gonna figure out what the hell you're doing?
04-30-2015 09:16 PM
Louisiana99 Online
All American

(04-30-2015 09:08 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

All the Big 12 has to do is say that them expanding means eventually more teams in FBS (SEC does not want that) and they'll get their way.

Especially with the ACC pushing to get rid of the 2 division requirement. The Big 12 could cripple themselves if they take two very average AAC programs...they will do everything in their power to make sure the 12 team rule goes away. They'll get their way.

Everything in the big 12's power don't add up to the SEC's power in their lent trap.. If the others have to split theirs by at least 12... So will the big 12. It's the big 12 against the pac12, big10 and SEC
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 09:27 PM by Louisiana99.)
04-30-2015 09:26 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!

I think the rationale is that they don't need to help their football situation past getting a championship game. Folks were saying that Baylor would've been in the playoffs if they won a championship game. Didn't say "if they had X & Y teams that they beat and won the championship game".
04-30-2015 10:00 PM
Advertisement

GeauxUL Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
I agree, not so sure the deregulation happens either...
04-30-2015 10:12 PM
eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
The Big 10 is the political and monetary factor in college. If they say so it will be.
05-01-2015 03:49 AM
SBEagle Online
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
Re: RE: big12 comish announces move to hold championship gsme!
(05-01-2015 03:49 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  The Big 10 is the political and monetary factor in college. If they say so it will be.

Yeah, 30 years ago.
05-01-2015 07:01 AM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(04-30-2015 09:08 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

I always thought it was odd the ACC, the conference at the forefront of the expansion movement who has 14 teams and two divisions, would support legislation to do away with the two division requirement. You just knew Swafford had somethig up his sleeve. This story from ESPN sheds some insight into their motivation. It appearss the ACC can't get enough and has it's eye on even more schools.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...-pass-2016
05-01-2015 07:25 AM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
Big 12 expansion would be great news for the Sun Belt Conference. It would completely change how CUSA looks at replacing UAB. If it happens, Big 12 expansion will have helped to create a new 12 member CUSA. Everything will hinge on who the Big 12 adds.

If the Big 12 adds Houston, then UTSA will replace them in the AAC. That would greatly enhance Texas State's chances at CUSA.

If the Big 12 adds Cincy, then Marshall will replace them in the AAC. That would greatly enhance JMU's chances at CUSA.

If the Big 12 adds Memphis, Ark St would at least become a long shot for CUSA.

If USM is added to the AAC, then USA's chances at CUSA would be greatly enhanced.

ULL's luck in realignment will remain unchanged, as this Big 12 development will probably cost them any shot they had at CUSA membership.

My gut tells me that when the dust settles, JMU will have been added to CUSA and the SBC will remain unchanged.
05-01-2015 08:10 AM
Advertisement

Louisiana99 Online
All American

Imagine that a laturd fan thinks every scenario imaginable leaves the cajuns out... Totally objective thinking obviously.
05-01-2015 08:29 AM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(05-01-2015 08:10 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  Big 12 expansion would be great news for the Sun Belt Conference. It would completely change how CUSA looks at replacing UAB. If it happens, Big 12 expansion will have helped to create a new 12 member CUSA. Everything will hinge on who the Big 12 adds.

If the Big 12 adds Houston, then UTSA will replace them in the AAC. That would greatly enhance Texas State's chances at CUSA.

If the Big 12 adds Cincy, then Marshall will replace them in the AAC. That would greatly enhance JMU's chances at CUSA.

If USM is added to the AAC, then USA's chances at CUSA would be greatly enhanced.

ULL's luck in realignment will remain unchanged, as this Big 12 development will probably cost them any shot they had at CUSA membership.

My gut tells me that when the dust settles, JMU will have been added to CUSA and the SBC will remain unchanged.

Houston won't be going to the Big XII. There's zero benefit to the Big XII to bring them in.

- Houston doesn't increase the football profile.
- Houston doesn't increase the basketball profile.
- Houston doesn't bring a new market.

If they were added, it would be nothing more than the Big XII just wanting a body (and that won't happen).
05-01-2015 08:46 AM
Farmer Jack Offline
Banned

I Root For: Univ of Houston
(05-01-2015 08:46 AM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 08:10 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  Big 12 expansion would be great news for the Sun Belt Conference. It would completely change how CUSA looks at replacing UAB. If it happens, Big 12 expansion will have helped to create a new 12 member CUSA. Everything will hinge on who the Big 12 adds.

Houston won't be going to the Big XII. There's zero benefit to the Big XII to bring them in.

- Houston doesn't increase the football profile.
- Houston doesn't increase the basketball profile.
- Houston doesn't bring a new market.

If they were added, it would be nothing more than the Big XII just wanting a body (and that won't happen).

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but the chances we go to the Big 12 are actually a lot higher than you think.
05-01-2015 08:50 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
In the end the B12 will get champ game with 10. In the end the B12 will not make more $$ than the B10 nor SEC. And the other p5 schools have no desire to move up even more G5 schools to P5 status. Once the B12 signs its new deal expansion is over at P5 level until next round of TV deals.
05-01-2015 09:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.