Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
What are your thoughts on Mike Tranghese?
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
What are your thoughts on Mike Tranghese?
Now that the new league has been together for two yrs and all the fans should be familar with the BE office, what are everyone's thoughts on Tranghese?

Do you think he is he a good commish that made the right choices in terms of expansion, kept the league together and got a great tv contract or a poor one who has never been able to fully grasp or does not have the ability to solve some of the major football issues facing the league?

Jackson
04-19-2007 01:00 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Re: What are your thoughts on Mike Tranghese?
Jackson1011 Wrote:Now that the new league has been together for two yrs and all the fans should be familar with the BE office, what are everyone's thoughts on Tranghese?

Do you think he is he a good commish that made the right choices in terms of expansion, kept the league together and got a great tv contract or a poor one who has never been able to fully grasp or does not have the ability to solve some of the major football issues facing the league?

Jackson

MT has done a respectable job in holding the league together. If that is the end he wanted to reach. Of course I'm of the opinion that the football members could be substantially more successful on their own. MT imo has his head in the sand. He had it in the sand prior to the ACC raid, pulled it out for a few brief moments to salvage his conference and then reinserted it into the ground. The Big East Conference on the football and basketball front faces a myriad of issues aside from its unwieldy and diverse membership that will never be resolved in this configuration from unbalanced scheduling in basketball to an 8 member football conference in the era of a 12 game season. These issues serve as fractures that will never allow the conference to gel for the long term. It will never be immune to poaching from other conferences as long as this is the case and the football membership will have to work harder to establish their identities and intra-conference rivalries than they would in a separate conference. The fact that Louisville and WVU didn't play a regular season basketball game this past year is a testament to that.
04-19-2007 01:35 PM
Capital Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina

Crappies

IMO, Tranghese is probably the 2nd most inept commish in the country....behind Britt Banowsy..... ;-)
04-19-2007 02:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS

Capital Pirate Wrote:IMO, Tranghese is probably the 2nd most inept commish in the country....behind Britt Banowsy.....

You are welcome to your opinion, but I regard C-USA's Brit Banowsky as one of the very best, not only in terms of credentials and experience (an attorney, former right-hand man for the Big 12 commissioner and former Southland Conference commissioner) but proven by the job he has done so far with C-USA. Bear in mind that within months after taking the reins of C-USA, our conference suffered the losses of 4 all-sports members plus 4 non-football members almost overnight. Out of the wreckage, he forged a geographically-sensibe, 12-school, all-sports conference comprised of a blend of institution having class, tradition, academic excellence, large markets, championship potential in a wide array of sports and a surprisingly good TV and bowl package. Few others could have done so well with the hand that was dealt. You may or may not like his decisions, but those who think him incompetent are foolish.
04-19-2007 02:54 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Gray Avenger Wrote:
Capital Pirate Wrote:IMO, Tranghese is probably the 2nd most inept commish in the country....behind Britt Banowsy.....

You are welcome to your opinion, but I regard C-USA's Brit Banowsky as one of the very best, not only in terms of credentials and experience (an attorney, former right-hand man for the Big 12 commissioner and former Southland Conference commissioner) but proven by the job he has done so far with C-USA. Bear in mind that within months after taking the reins of C-USA, our conference suffered the losses of 4 all-sports members plus 4 non-football members almost overnight. Out of the wreckage, he forged a geographically-sensibe, 12-school, all-sports conference comprised of a blend of institution having class, tradition, academic excellence, large markets, championship potential in a wide array of sports and a surprisingly good TV and bowl package. Few others could have done so well with the hand that was dealt. You may or may not like his decisions, but those who think him incompetent are foolish.

Get back to work Britton. This thread has nothing to do with you.
04-19-2007 02:58 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

L-yes Wrote:
Gray Avenger Wrote:

Get back to work Britton. This thread has nothing to do with you.

lmfao lmfao
04-19-2007 03:17 PM
Advertisement

David Krysakowski Offline
1st String

I Root For:

John Swofford and Mike Tranghese should have worked together on a sensible realignment plan instead of sueing each other.
04-19-2007 03:25 PM
Capital Pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina

Crappies

Gray Avenger Wrote:

We obviously have a difference of opinion on Banowsky - and CUSA, for that matter.....

...and I'd add that "geographically-sensible" is in the eyes of the beholder..... ;-)
04-19-2007 04:07 PM
tigersharktwo
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Back to the cusa board and discuss your leader.
04-19-2007 04:12 PM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI

David Krysakowski Wrote:John Swofford and Mike Tranghese should have worked together on a sensible realignment plan instead of sueing each other.

MT 'supposedly' offered the ACC the BE 'FB' schools prior to the formation of the BE FB in the early 90s to keep the BE a BB conference.

Swofford and the ACC presidents weren't interested in a sensible realignment plan (ie Miami only).
04-19-2007 04:20 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Capital Pirate Wrote:IMO, Tranghese is probably the 2nd most inept commish in the country....behind Britt Banowsy..... ;-)

04-jawdrop Something is wrong because I am agreeing with you 100% for once. 04-bow
04-19-2007 04:57 PM
Advertisement

CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

Gray Avenger Wrote:

I was wondering where that smell of moth balls and urine were coming from, and then I realized that the great Avenger is hanging around the BigEast boards again. 05-mafia
04-19-2007 05:16 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

I am obviously biased but USF fans love MT. If not for his vision and Boston College's treachery USF would be stuck in C-DOA.
04-19-2007 05:18 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati

I know Tranghese is getting hammered for being blindsided, and rightfully so, but he has rebounded UNBELIEVABLY well and has been on FIRE. The Big East needed football help to keep their BCS bid? All he did was pick up a BCS bowl champion and Top 10 program (Louisville) and a 9 win program in an important market (South Florida) and an 8 win program in a brand new, huge market (Cincinnati). He not only retained the Big East's BCS bid and watched the conference return to elite status but much deeper and more balanced. We were in danger of losing bowls, and did lose bowls, and he still put together a respectable bowl lineup. He inked the Big East to the best television contract in history including a very good football television contract after watching it sliced in half. The Big East is a major player again so you have to give the man his props. And, as CyberBull said, Cincinnati fans have a personal bias in his favor! ;-)
04-19-2007 05:30 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

CatsClaw Wrote:I know Tranghese is getting hammered for being blindsided, and rightfully so, but he has rebounded UNBELIEVABLY well and has been on FIRE. The Big East needed football help to keep their BCS bid? All he did was pick up a BCS bowl champion and Top 10 program (Louisville) and a 9 win program in an important market (South Florida) and an 8 win program in a brand new, huge market (Cincinnati). He not only retained the Big East's BCS bid and watched the conference return to elite status but much deeper and more balanced. We were in danger of losing bowls, and did lose bowls, and he still put together a respectable bowl lineup. He inked the Big East to the best television contract in history including a very good football television contract after watching it sliced in half. The Big East is a major player again so you have to give the man his props. And, as CyberBull said, Cincinnati fans have a personal bias in his favor! ;-)

Agreed. 04-bow
04-19-2007 05:53 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL

I think MT is a great commish.
He has done a great job witht he BEast.
He is definitely a basketball first guy.
He could do much more for the football side of things.
He needs a few lessons in scheduling. More than a few.
04-19-2007 06:18 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

As Cyber said.
Im partial to MT because he fought to bring USF into BE, with that said he represents a league that is split in two between football playing BE teams and those that do not. Is hard to take care of ALL the leagues teams when their priorities are NOT the same. I think thats why he said that he would step down if the league had split.
04-19-2007 06:23 PM
SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut

CatsClaw Wrote:I know Tranghese is getting hammered for being blindsided, and rightfully so, but he has rebounded UNBELIEVABLY well and has been on FIRE. The Big East needed football help to keep their BCS bid? All he did was pick up a BCS bowl champion and Top 10 program (Louisville) and a 9 win program in an important market (South Florida) and an 8 win program in a brand new, huge market (Cincinnati). He not only retained the Big East's BCS bid and watched the conference return to elite status but much deeper and more balanced. We were in danger of losing bowls, and did lose bowls, and he still put together a respectable bowl lineup. He inked the Big East to the best television contract in history including a very good football television contract after watching it sliced in half. The Big East is a major player again so you have to give the man his props. And, as CyberBull said, Cincinnati fans have a personal bias in his favor! ;-)

Despite TM inept, he was lucky to be able to rely on UConn and Syracuse national championships to sell to the world that we have the best basketball league in the nation and until West Virginia beat Georgia to give us all a breathing room and follow by 5-0 bowls wins. If we didn
04-19-2007 07:15 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

If he goes through with his threat not to make UC/WVU a mirror game, then...

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!
04-19-2007 07:41 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati

SO#1 Wrote:[quote="CatsClaw"]I know Tranghese is getting hammered for being blindsided, and rightfully so, but he has rebounded UNBELIEVABLY well and has been on FIRE. The Big East needed football help to keep their BCS bid? All he did was pick up a BCS bowl champion and Top 10 program (Louisville) and a 9 win program in an important market (South Florida) and an 8 win program in a brand new, huge market (Cincinnati). He not only retained the Big East's BCS bid and watched the conference return to elite status but much deeper and more balanced. We were in danger of losing bowls, and did lose bowls, and he still put together a respectable bowl lineup. He inked the Big East to the best television contract in history including a very good football television contract after watching it sliced in half. The Big East is a major player again so you have to give the man his props. And, as CyberBull said, Cincinnati fans have a personal bias in his favor! ;-)

Despite TM inept, he was lucky to be able to rely on UConn and Syracuse national championships to sell to the world that we have the best basketball league in the nation and until West Virginia beat Georgia to us all a breathing room and follow by 5-0 bowls wins. If we didn
04-19-2007 07:54 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.