Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

No Little Rock Bowl This Year.
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
No Little Rock Bowl This Year.
Schroeder ‏@GeorgeSchroeder · 1h1 hour ago
Little Rock, 1 of 4 cities that applied to NCAA to host a bowl game this season, announces it has decided to wait at least another year.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN · 35m35 minutes ago
With Little Rock no longer pursuing a new bowl this fall, we may “only” have 42 bowls this fall

The full release from the Little Rock Bowl Organization--

A group of government, civic and business leaders from Central Arkansas previously submitted an application to the NCAA for a Division I Football Bowl Subdivision game to be played in Little Rock. Mayors of Little Rock and North Little Rock, the chambers of commerce and the convention and visitors bureaus of the two cities have been involved in this effort. After a significant amount of effort, it has been determined that a game in December 2015 is not feasible.

“Those of us who have been involved in this process have confirmed that all of the pieces for a successful bowl game are in place in our community. We have a historic venue in War Memorial Stadium, supportive public partners and private sponsors. While we are disappointed that the game will not occur in 2015, the depth of information gathered has demonstrated that Little Rock could be a fantastic site for a bowl,” said Kevin A. Crass, chairman of the War Memorial Stadium Commission.

The efforts of the group were led by the work of former UALR Athletic Director Chris Peterson as a volunteer. Peterson did a significant amount of due diligence and analysis to offer support to the effort.

“We appreciate the work of the staffs of the Sun Belt and American conferences,” said Chris Peterson. “I feel strongly that Central Arkansas has a great deal to offer for a bowl, and we will continue to work toward a bowl game in the future.”

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/arc...e8e9b8543d
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2015 05:43 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-23-2015 05:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Danger in Carolina Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU & AAC & MWC
RE: No Little Rock Bowl This Year.
No loss. And if they weren't ready to host, it's probably for the best.
04-23-2015 06:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
carolinaknights Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rutgers / South
Too bad it would have been in the backyard of the western members especially with most of the bowls in the east and Florida. Hopefully the new bowl in Texas will come through for SMU, Tulsa, Houston, and Tulane. It will give those schools a regional landing spot until the AAC starts playing in the bowl in New Orleans later in the bowl contracting years. Otherwise the only 2 bowls in the west are the Armed Forces Bowl flipping with the Hawaii Bowl in alternating years throughout the current contract. 07-coffee3
04-23-2015 09:34 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Dodged that turd....
04-24-2015 08:09 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
No big deal. I like the Austin bowl idea much better, so hopefully that one comes through. Believe we still have 8-9 bowl slots per year, even without Little Rock. The only value of the Little Rock bowl is that it was a chip to be traded away to get a better opponent in Miami.
04-24-2015 10:08 AM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
Some interesting comments in a somewhat painful interview to listen to with Troy Schulte of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette:

http://www.953theticket.com/?p=9161

Properly executed and backed, I felt this bowl was a natural for some of the western AAC teams who became bowl-eligible but otherwise didn't have great seasons. And I only say that because the first year success of the Camellia Bowl was a shock to me.

However, based on comments in the linked interview, this supposed bowl opportunity is sounding more and more like there was less and less interest from the city of Little Rock, a sponsor, and TV. Not to mention, the guy being interviewed claims he spoke personally with Aresco and it appeared to him that interest on the part of the AAC has waned since the initial announcement.

So, personally, I think the Little Rock Bowl concept might be dead, which I know is fine with some AAC fans.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2015 04:17 PM by CajunFanatico.)
04-26-2015 04:16 PM
Advertisement

Bleeds_Purple Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina!
(04-26-2015 04:16 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Some interesting comments in a somewhat painful interview to listen to with Troy Schulte of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette:

Properly executed and backed, I felt this bowl was a natural for some of the western AAC teams who became bowl-eligible but otherwise didn't have great seasons. And I only say that because the first year success of the Camellia Bowl was a shock to me.

However, based on comments in the linked interview, this supposed bowl opportunity is sounding more and more like there was less and less interest from the city of Little Rock, a sponsor, and TV. Not to mention, the guy being interviewed claims he spoke personally with Aresco and it appeared to him that interest on the part of the AAC has waned since the initial announcement.

So, personally, I think the Little Rock Bowl concept might be dead, which I know is fine with some AAC fans.
My guess is the proposed bowl in Austin Texas killed the interest of the American in the Little Rock bowl.
04-26-2015 04:30 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

(04-26-2015 04:30 PM)Bleeds_Purple Wrote:  
(04-26-2015 04:16 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Some interesting comments in a somewhat painful interview to listen to with Troy Schulte of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette:

My guess is the proposed bowl in Austin Texas killed the interest of the American in the Little Rock bowl.

Yup. That one sort of came out of nowhere and I'd think there's no doubt that Austin has tons more appeal to teams like Houston, SMU, Tulsa, and even Tulane.
04-26-2015 04:41 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(04-26-2015 04:41 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  

Yup. That one sort of came out of nowhere and I'd think there's no doubt that Austin has tons more appeal to teams like Houston, SMU, Tulsa, and even Tulane.

Agree. Austin is closer to the AAC teams. I always thought that another G5 bowl in Texas was needed. I just thought it would be Houston or San Marcos that would try to put something together.
04-26-2015 04:57 PM
PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
(04-26-2015 04:57 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(04-26-2015 04:41 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  

Agree. Austin is closer to the AAC teams. I always thought that another G5 bowl in Texas was needed. I just thought it would be Houston or San Marcos that would try to put something together.

And Austin has 1000x more things to do in the city, vs Arkansas.
04-26-2015 05:54 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
AAC backed out of Little Rock, when the Austin deal came open, IMO. Austin is 500X better. Better location, better weather, better city, better everything.
04-26-2015 09:41 PM
Advertisement

baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
I an willing to bet that the proposed bowl in Little Rock did not put up the money that they originally promised.These things break down quickly if the money becomes a question mark.
04-27-2015 04:04 AM
Savacool Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulane
Little Rock Arkansas. That is the last place I want to go in the USA.
04-27-2015 04:26 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Depending on date and matchup, I'd consider going to Austin. Great town. No way in the world would I have ever considered going to Little Rock to play a Sun Belt team.
04-27-2015 09:10 AM
rollgreenwave Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
Austin is definitely a better option. It's got a lot to do, which makes it more of a vacation, plus it's closer to most of the AAC West. Easier, cheaper, and faster to fly to as well. I'd definitely make it there if Tulane got a bowl bid. Little Rock...not so much.
04-27-2015 09:42 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
I'd follow the Blue & Gray to Bogalusa, LA, if necessary to see them play in a bowl game. And I'd have a damned good time, too.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2015 10:03 AM by Gray Avenger.)
04-27-2015 10:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

(04-27-2015 04:26 AM)Savacool Wrote:  Little Rock Arkansas. That is the last place I want to go in the USA.

Interesting. The city of Little Rock has voted you as the last person they want to see visit their city, asswipe.
04-27-2015 04:28 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
So that gives us 'only' 8 bowls for 12 teams, right?

Doubt we fill em all anyway...
04-27-2015 06:09 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(04-27-2015 04:28 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  
(04-27-2015 04:26 AM)Savacool Wrote:  Little Rock Arkansas. That is the last place I want to go in the USA.

Interesting. The city of Little Rock has voted you as the last person they want to see visit their city, asswipe.

Each of us has a clear choice every day we get out of bed.

As near as I can tell, Savacool and I make completely different choices each morning. One chooses to be as negative as possible on most things and one chooses to be as positive as is reasonable.

I'm very happy with my choice and I'm sure Savacool is happy with his.

It's interesting how such opposites can be so apparently happy in the environment they create.
04-27-2015 11:56 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(04-27-2015 06:09 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  So that gives us 'only' 8 bowls for 12 teams, right?

Doubt we fill em all anyway...

9 some years (ten if we win the access bowl). lol...I think we are ok.
04-28-2015 12:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.