Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB boosters fund study that concludes football, rifle and bowling would be profitabl
Bookmark and Share
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
UAB boosters fund study that concludes football, rifle and bowling would be profitabl
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/...would.html

Quote:UAB football, rifle and bowling made money for the 2013-14 academic year, and those three sports combined would result in an annual surplus of more than $500,000 if the school reinstated them and remained in Conference USA.

From CBS Sports

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...ling-rifle

Quote:

The University of Alabama at Birmingham's decision to end football, bowling and rifle was “ill advised from a net cash-flow perspective,” according to a study released Thursday by a consulting firm fired by UAB last month to perform this task.
04-23-2015 11:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
RE: UAB boosters fund study that concludes football, rifle and bowling would be profitabl
Please find these articles on twitter and re-tweet them. Blow them up!

More to come!
04-23-2015 11:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

RE: UAB boosters fund study that concludes football, rifle and bowling would be profitabl
04-23-2015 11:25 AM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
04-23-2015 11:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

Blow it up EVERYONE get viral. The pressure is on them now.
04-23-2015 11:39 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

04-23-2015 11:41 AM
Advertisement

usmgh Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: G5
So UAB's football boosters paid the consulting firm that everyone knew was already on the side of UAB football to produce a report saying UAB football was "profitable".

What else would you expect?

You get what you pay for.
Especially from a consulting firm that specializes in providing reports and expert witness testimony to whomever pays them the most money.
04-23-2015 12:28 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
As much as Watts needs to pound sand any report that suggests rifle and bowling as profitable is disingenuous.

It just loses merit, because everyone who has worked in athletics knows that non-revenue sports are called that for a reason. Not only do they not generate revenues they most definitely do not generate profits.

So, now we have what appears to be two biased reports on opposite ends of the spectrum. Considering numbers can easily be manipulated to come to a desired conclusion, I wonder if we will ever get a legitimate and unbiased view on the financials of this situation.
04-23-2015 12:30 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-23-2015 12:28 PM)usmgh Wrote:  So UAB's football boosters paid the consulting firm that everyone knew was already on the side of UAB football to produce a report saying UAB football was "profitable".

Especially from a consulting firm that specializes in providing reports and expert witness testimony to whomever pays them the most money.

Exactly. UAB boosters have fallen into the trap of trying to prove they can afford the team. Whether the team is profitable should have no bearing on whether a school should be allowed to have a team.
04-23-2015 12:30 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-23-2015 12:28 PM)usmgh Wrote:  So UAB's football boosters paid the consulting firm that everyone knew was already on the side of UAB football to produce a report saying UAB football was "profitable".

Carr already delivered that report. It said that football should be killed, just like they were paid to.

OSKR used real numbers instead of searching out the worst ones they could find. These reports are not free, someone has to pay for them.
04-23-2015 12:34 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
Is this the bombshell?
04-23-2015 12:49 PM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(04-23-2015 12:34 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  

Carr already delivered that report. It said that football should be killed, just like they were paid to.

OSKR used real numbers instead of searching out the worst ones they could find. These reports are not free, someone has to pay for them.

Did OSKRs report include the cost for a new stadium?
04-23-2015 12:50 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES

But OSKR even admitted they don't have real numbers...and the most amazing thing to me, they created their own accounting basis for a scholarship cost? That is hilarious.

It's as worthless as the Carr report in my mind. Both had predetermined outcomes.

Consultants have the best job in the world. Tell your client what they want to hear, and use whatever it takes to make it look "real".
04-23-2015 12:50 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

(04-23-2015 12:50 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Did OSKRs report include the cost for a new stadium?

Nope. It assumes all as before. To get that we'd have to get it past the Alabama Board of Trustees.
04-23-2015 01:04 PM
SATXBOSSMAN Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTSA
Were we supposed to expect them to say anything other than what they said? Thought that was reasoning behind firing them in the first place.
04-23-2015 01:05 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(04-23-2015 12:30 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Exactly. UAB boosters have fallen into the trap of trying to prove they can afford the team. Whether the team is profitable should have no bearing on whether a school should be allowed to have a team.

This is the correct answer.

On paper, few programs at our level generate enough dollars to cover costs though a successful athletic program is a valuable marketing tool for a university. Having said that, it's almost impossible to calculate that value. It's normally up to the university's administration to decide if the value in marketing is worth the cost.

The problem for UAB is that its decisison-making structure is compromised by the BOT.
04-23-2015 01:07 PM
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

(04-23-2015 12:50 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

But OSKR even admitted they don't have real numbers...and the most amazing thing to me, they created their own accounting basis for a scholarship cost? That is hilarious.

It's as worthless as the Carr report in my mind. Both had predetermined outcomes.

Consultants have the best job in the world. Tell your client what they want to hear, and use whatever it takes to make it look "real".

No, what they said was that almost universally, colleges play a shell game with those costs. It costs what they say it does. The room will be there, the lights will be on, the professor will be teaching whether a football player is in that room or not.

If I decide to charge myself car fare, and after every trip I charge myself $10 and take it from one pocket and put it in another, do I make a profit? If I charge myself $20, do I do better? That one is always an accounting game.
04-23-2015 01:07 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

(04-23-2015 01:07 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  
(04-23-2015 12:30 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Exactly. UAB boosters have fallen into the trap of trying to prove they can afford the team. Whether the team is profitable should have no bearing on whether a school should be allowed to have a team.

This is the correct answer.

On paper, few programs at our level generate enough dollars to cover costs though a successful athletic program is a valuable marketing tool for a university. Having said that, it's almost impossible to calculate that value. It's normally up to the university's administration to decide if the value in marketing is worth the cost.

The problem for UAB is that its decisison-making structure is compromised by the BOT.

UAB's problem is that anything that it wants for athletics must be approved by boosters of another school that dislikes UAB.
04-23-2015 01:08 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
NCAA Accounting:

Athletic department owes school $3,000,000 for athletes' scholarships.
School gives athletic department $3,000,000 subsidy.
Athletic department writes school a check for $3,000,000.
Athletic department reports $3,000,000 loss.

It's literally the school paying itself. One department reports $3,000,000 in revenue while another department reports a $3,000,000 loss.
04-23-2015 01:09 PM
cajunhawk2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Louisiana
(04-23-2015 01:09 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  NCAA Accounting:

Athletic department owes school $3,000,000 for athletes' scholarships.
School gives athletic department $3,000,000 subsidy.
Athletic department writes school a check for $3,000,000.
Athletic department reports $3,000,000 loss.

It's literally the school paying itself. One department reports $3,000,000 in revenue while another department reports a $3,000,000 loss.

That's not NCAA Accounting...it's governmental accounting.
04-23-2015 01:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.