Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Perhaps playing Tuesday & Wednesday is not so bad
Bookmark and Share
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
Perhaps playing Tuesday & Wednesday is not so bad
Here is the NFL Thursday night football schedule vs NCAA College games this fall:

Sept 17 Denver @ Kansas City(Opposite Clemson/Louisville)
Sept 24 Washington @ NY Giants(opposite Cincy/Memphis)
Oct 1 Baltimore @ Pittsburgh(opposite Miami/Cincy)
Oct 8 Indianapolis @ Houston(opposite SMU/Houston, Washington/USC) NCAA can win
Oct 15 Atlanta @ New Orleans(opposite Auburn/Kentucky, UCLA/Stanford) NCAA can win
Oct 22 Seattle @ San Francisco(opposite Cal/UCLA)
Oct 29 Miami @ New England(opposite UNC/Pitt, WVU/TCU)
Nov 5 Cleveland @ Cincy(opposite Miss St/Missouri, Baylor/Kan St) NCAA can win

The 2 weeks where the games are on NFL network opposite college football-
Nov 12 Buffalo @ NY Jets(opposite Va Tech/Ga Tech)
Nov 19 Tennessee @ Jacksonville(opposite ECU/UCF

Several Thursdays where the NCAA game(s) won't draw flies for ratings and attendance won't be the same as Saturdays.
04-22-2015 02:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
RE: Perhaps playing Tuesday & Wednesday is not so bad
The largest Thursday night college football television audience ever is 4.9 million. In fact, the most watched regular season college football game ever on ESPN is 6.3 million.

By comparison, Thursday Night NFL telecast averages from last year ranged from 7-11.8 million.

So, in summary, even the most terrible, biggest blowout, worst NFL matchups last year still had a larger audience than any regular season college football game ESPN has EVER aired. So to address those few games you marked that NCAA can win, the answer is absolutely no chance, and it will never be even remotely close on Thursday night.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2015 10:43 PM by CoachMaclid.)
04-24-2015 10:42 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(04-24-2015 10:42 PM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  The largest Thursday night college football television audience ever is 4.9 million. In fact, the most watched regular season college football game ever on ESPN is 6.3 million.

By comparison, Thursday Night NFL telecast averages from last year ranged from 7-11.8 million.

So, in summary, even the most terrible, biggest blowout, worst NFL matchups last year still had a larger audience than any regular season college football game ESPN has EVER aired. So to address those few games you marked that NCAA can win, the answer is absolutely no chance, and it will never be even remotely close on Thursday night.

Lesson: Do not attempt to go up against the NFL.

In MLB, folks like to watch their team but not much else. In NFL, everyone seems to like to watch every team...
04-25-2015 04:49 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(04-25-2015 04:49 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(04-24-2015 10:42 PM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  The largest Thursday night college football television audience ever is 4.9 million. In fact, the most watched regular season college football game ever on ESPN is 6.3 million.

Lesson: Do not attempt to go up against the NFL.

In MLB, folks like to watch their team but not much else. In NFL, everyone seems to like to watch every team...

ESPN should just announce their Thursday night schedule after the NFL announces theirs. Work the games around the NFL game so the market of the college game is not directly competing with the NFL game.
04-25-2015 09:45 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
In my mind, college fb >NFL

I like the pros, but I am a passionate CFB fan! I will be watching some weeknight MACtion!
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 12:20 PM by THUNDERStruck73.)
04-29-2015 12:20 PM
Advertisement

lance99 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron Zips
(04-22-2015 02:16 AM)Policiious Wrote:  Here is the NFL Thursday night football schedule vs NCAA College games this fall:

Oct 15 Atlanta @ New Orleans(opposite Auburn/Kentucky, UCLA/Stanford) NCAA can win

Several Thursdays where the NCAA game(s) won't draw flies for ratings and attendance won't be the same as Saturdays.

Uh, No. The only way that happens is if both NO and Atlanta is really bad, and that is a stretch.
04-30-2015 01:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
(04-30-2015 01:39 AM)lance99 Wrote:  
(04-22-2015 02:16 AM)Policiious Wrote:  Here is the NFL Thursday night football schedule vs NCAA College games this fall:

Uh, No. The only way that happens is if both NO and Atlanta is really bad, and that is a stretch.

Atlanta was bad last year and NO was boringly mediocre. SEC games draw well and UCLA is one of the top 25 college football attendance draws. I'd rather watch 2 quality college teams play than 2 bad or boring nfl teams
05-01-2015 02:44 PM
RedandBlackAttack Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(05-01-2015 02:44 PM)Policiious Wrote:  
(04-30-2015 01:39 AM)lance99 Wrote:  

Atlanta was bad last year and NO was boringly mediocre. SEC games draw well and UCLA is one of the top 25 college football attendance draws. I'd rather watch 2 quality college teams play than 2 bad or boring nfl teams

It's a bit of a stretch to think ANY NCAA football game will outdraw viewers from the NFL games. The ONLY week that there may be a chance is November 5th and thats about it.
05-01-2015 04:01 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
If I'm not mistaken, Miami plays UB on the Thursday before Halloween (the 29th) against the other Miami vs. New England game.
05-01-2015 05:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.