Named QB coach at Illinois
04-11-2015 12:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
RE: Ryan Cubit promoted
Good for Ryan, always glad to see former Broncos advance.

Will be interesting when we play Illinois in 2016.
04-11-2015 03:51 PM
Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

I Root For: WMU
Didn't he just get convicted of a DUI?
04-14-2015 10:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fights for Justice

Must be nice having your old man around to promote you at every opportunity.
04-14-2015 10:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
okgc Offline
Heisman

(04-14-2015 10:11 AM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  Didn't he just get convicted of a DUI?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-s...52339.html
04-14-2015 10:25 AM
Fights for Justice

A 2003 MIP gave the judge "pause?" Give me a break.
04-14-2015 11:43 AM
Advertisement

Fights for Justice

$80k a year job. LOL.
04-14-2015 11:45 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(04-14-2015 11:45 AM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  $80k a year job. LOL.

Granted 80k where you live won't get you much, but where he's at it's a good beginning.

As for his DUI, should he be disqualified from employment the rest of his life? I'd wager to say every person who drinks has left a bar, restaurant, wedding, etc. and driven legally intoxicated AT LEAST ONCE, but we're never pulled over.
04-14-2015 02:51 PM
Fights for Justice

(04-14-2015 02:51 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  
(04-14-2015 11:45 AM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  $80k a year job. LOL.

Granted 80k where you live won't get you much, but where he's at it's a good beginning.

As for his DUI, should he be disqualified from employment the rest of his life? I'd wager to say every person who drinks has left a bar, restaurant, wedding, etc. and driven legally intoxicated AT LEAST ONCE, but we're never pulled over.

$80k is good in DC, it's even better in Urbana Champaign. I'd like to see Cubit pull down that salary at a private sector job without his father's help, but that's just me.
04-14-2015 03:04 PM
Fights for Justice

(04-14-2015 02:51 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  As for his DUI, should he be disqualified from employment the rest of his life?

Did I say that? No. I DO believe it should preclude you from an immediate promotion, especially in a public sector position and ESPECIALLY one where you are working with young adults and college students.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2015 03:05 PM by Charm City Bronco.)
04-14-2015 03:05 PM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

Oh please. You want a new Department of Alchohol and Promotion Police?

We have enough buerocracies already.
04-14-2015 03:08 PM
Advertisement

Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(04-14-2015 03:05 PM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  
(04-14-2015 02:51 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  As for his DUI, should he be disqualified from employment the rest of his life?

Did I say that? No. I DO believe it should preclude you from an immediate promotion, especially in a public sector position and ESPECIALLY one where you are working with young adults and college students.

The biggest drunkfest I ever saw was at tge FOP lodge. People drink in every profession, and lord knows college athletes aren't going to be swayed from it by a coach who doesn't partake.

Drink responsible, hope tou don't get pulled over if you're on the margins, and if you're trashed find alternate transportation.
04-14-2015 04:16 PM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

Apart from being irresponsible, getting caught is quite expensive and for normal people it takes several years to get the monkey off your back. Injure someone and you are screwed. Kill someone you will live a very different life.
04-14-2015 07:01 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Did I say that? No. I DO believe it should preclude you from an immediate promotion, especially in a public sector position and ESPECIALLY one where you are working with young adults and college students.

IMO, if it was done when getting in the way of work in any way, I'd agree. They have very active punishments for that -- there's no reason to banish someone because of that.

Now, if he was drinking and was throwing the ball on a field Horribly -- Then I'd say definitely don't promote him to QB coach.

He looks like he gained a lot of weight!
04-15-2015 07:45 AM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

It is interesting we have a very strong bias against drinkers.

You never see a headline, "sober driver kills teenage girl". What you will see is, the sober driver was involved in a tragic accident, and we all feel sorry for him/her because of the emotional pain they feel because of it.

Contrast the person carefully driving home from the wedding reception, they get pulled over on a quiet side street two blocks from home because the officer makes a point of pulling a few people over in late night situations hoping to score a drunk driver bust. Now this driver was causing no problem, had no accident, didn't hurt anyone. This driver will be paying out $10,000 in fines and lawyer fees, blow device on his car, higher insurance premiums, scorn from the community, and as Charm suggests, possible employment problems.

Yet no one is questioning the sober driver. We're they on prescriptions that cautioned against operating machinery? We're they glancing at their device? Turning around to deal with a toddler in the back seat? Fondling their girl friend? 86 years old and no one questioned their fitness to drive.

So it is not as cut and dried as it seems. Lots of accidents every day between sober drivers. No disdain for them, just gee are you OK? So sorry this happened to you.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2015 08:02 AM by Dirty Ernie.)
04-15-2015 07:59 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Concerning that this is his second such incident.

Perhaps that's why Dad's trying to keep him close.

Still does not mean he's banished forever to unemployment and homelessness.

Now if he has another "episode" even Dad and friends probably won't be able to keep him in CFB coaching field.
04-15-2015 08:29 AM
Advertisement

flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-15-2015 07:59 AM)Dirty Ernie Wrote:  It is interesting we have a very strong bias against drinkers.

You never see a headline, "sober driver kills teenage girl". What you will see is, the sober driver was involved in a tragic accident, and we all feel sorry for him/her because of the emotional pain they feel because of it.

Contrast the person carefully driving home from the wedding reception, they get pulled over on a quiet side street two blocks from home because the officer makes a point of pulling a few people over in late night situations hoping to score a drunk driver bust. Now this driver was causing no problem, had no accident, didn't hurt anyone. This driver will be paying out $10,000 in fines and lawyer fees, blow device on his car, higher insurance premiums, scorn from the community, and as Charm suggests, possible employment problems.

Yet no one is questioning the sober driver. We're they on prescriptions that cautioned against operating machinery? We're they glancing at their device? Turning around to deal with a toddler in the back seat? Fondling their girl friend? 86 years old and no one questioned their fitness to drive.

So it is not as cut and dried as it seems. Lots of accidents every day between sober drivers. No disdain for them, just gee are you OK? So sorry this happened to you.

If you are driving home from a wedding reception and are drunk enough to incur the fines and require a blow device in your car... you were in NO WAY FIT TO DRIVE... that's just plain irresponsible and thus the scorn self inflicted or otherwise...

If you are driving and get in an accident because you were texting and not paying attention to the primary function of operating your vehicle safely... you again are being irresponsible and NOT FIT TO BE OPERATING YOUR VEHICLE.... Same scenario... different cause of distraction...

To be honest... I think people who text and drive are more dangerous than those who are considered to be drunk by legal limit (super drunk not withstanding)... People who are texting and driving are likely not taking the same precautions as people who have had a few drinks and know that they are in danger of getting busted... Texters are usually driving faster, and NOT EVEN LOOKING AT THE DAMN ROAD!....

Now what were we talking about again?.... Oh yeah... that Ryan Cubut got promoted and some people think that because he slipped up and drove drunk and got caught that he should pay for it for the rest of his life... Not to mention... he may have an alcohol problem... which requires support, not banishment.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2015 08:33 AM by flushtheherd.)
04-15-2015 08:32 AM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Concerning that this is his second such incident.

Well, getting a citation for underage drinking is NOT the 1st incident, where this is the 2nd. Very different, as they aren't the same incidents. IMO, it's about the same as illegally parking your car, then 11 years later getting a speeding ticket going 20mph over. Both involve a car, but a Very different situation. In Cubit's case 11 years ago, he was doing nothing wreckless when drinking -- just drinking, because he was young. Like sneaking into a rated NC-17 movie.

Quote:If you are driving home from a wedding reception and are drunk enough to incur the fines and require a blow device in your car... you were in NO WAY FIT TO DRIVE...

Yeah, not Legally fit to drive. If they made the legal limit to .03, the same thing could be said. Many places, as it is the norm today, pile on fines and are very sensitive to it all... it brings in $$ to the state while also appeasing to support groups that protest pretty much drinking at all... and who's going to blame them? You throw the book at offenders and then some because you'll only catch a small % of them anyway -- in order to keep people from doing it... whether they themselves at that point are physically able to drive just fine or not.

Quote:I think people who text and drive are more dangerous than those who are considered to be drunk by legal limit (super drunk not withstanding)

I agree. I actually did a report in high school about driving while sleepy. Basically, if you only included those who drank at DUI-level (legal limit was .10 back then I believe tho) who were Not sleepy/out-of-it, driving sleepy was Worse. It's that alcohol's a sedative and that's one key reason why folks will screw up while driving. Just take people sleepy -- whether drinking or not -- it's worse than those merely over the limit but not sleepy. Both aren't good, don't get me wrong.

But we're conditioned to lash out at drinking anything and considering driving, in and of itself, to an Amplified, over-the-top Degree on purpose to promote not doing it, as most people will do it anyway. But at the same time, we don't care hardly much about things roughly equally dangerous in actuality -- like texting or sleepy -- unless they're driving right in front of us in rush hour and they're holding things up. :)
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2015 08:55 AM by toddjnsn.)
04-15-2015 08:53 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-15-2015 08:53 AM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:Concerning that this is his second such incident.

Well, getting a citation for underage drinking is NOT the 1st incident, where this is the 2nd. Very different, as they aren't the same incidents. IMO, it's about the same as illegally parking your car, then 11 years later getting a speeding ticket going 20mph over.

You are right, should've worded it differently (not used qualifier 'such').

My point is he's had two brushes with the law involving alcohol which may be indicative of a "problem" that needs addressing in addition to the legal consequences.
04-15-2015 09:04 AM
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
(04-15-2015 07:59 AM)Dirty Ernie Wrote:  It is interesting we have a very strong bias against drinkers.

Got my only DUI 20 years ago. I was not in the car. Because I had my keys and was close to my car, it was intent to drive.
04-15-2015 09:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.