Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hope everyone has enjoyed kicking USM around.
Bookmark and Share
Noodles Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Exclamation Hope everyone has enjoyed kicking USM around.
The party is just about over.
Get ready for C-USM 3.0.
04-10-2015 07:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fatalisk Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Hope everyone has enjoyed kicking USM around.
What's different?
04-10-2015 07:03 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
RE: Hope everyone has enjoyed kicking USM around.
03-lmfao
04-10-2015 07:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Noodles Offline
All American

Depth.
Experience.
Continuity.

We'll be competitive again for sure.

Sure do wish Memphis could see their way to scheduling their oldest rival.
04-10-2015 07:23 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
we're going the way of Jonestown
04-10-2015 08:00 PM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
WKU was the team that started the usm meltdown and have not played since
04-10-2015 09:01 PM
Advertisement

Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
(04-10-2015 07:23 PM)Noodles Wrote:  Sure do wish Memphis could see their way to scheduling their oldest rival.

We've tried, but they won't schedule us.
04-10-2015 09:04 PM
paintedblue2 Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
(04-10-2015 09:04 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 07:23 PM)Noodles Wrote:  Sure do wish Memphis could see their way to scheduling their oldest rival.

We've tried, but they won't schedule us.

Even the C*USA teams that aren't currently doing so well are in on the conspiracy to avoid scheduling Sun Belt teams.

Bwhahaha, EXCELLENT! 05-stirthepot
04-10-2015 10:03 PM
winston70 Offline
All American

I Root For: La Tech
I agree if USM doesn't get bowl eligible this year then a new coach might be needed but it is only a matter of time before their FB program starts winning again.
04-10-2015 11:50 PM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

I hope you're right, but nothing I've seen has remotely convinced me that Monken is a turnaround kind of guy. A good football coach? Sure, but it takes a little something extra to get a program out of a ditch.

To have any hope at .500, ours will have to be a completely different team than the lifeless, unfocused bunch that didn't bother to show up at UTSA and rolled over for UAB to end last season. Yes, talent is a big issue after bringing in Johnson & dumping him after one year, but the attitudes & efforts I saw last year completely sucked. This program needs a boot in its a**, and I'm not sure if Monken has it in him to deliver it.
04-11-2015 12:18 AM
Herd_fever Offline
Banned

I Root For: Marshall
(04-11-2015 12:18 AM)HarborPointe Wrote:  I hope you're right, but nothing I've seen has remotely convinced me that Monken is a turnaround kind of guy. A good football coach? Sure, but it takes a little something extra to get a program out of a ditch.

To have any hope at .500, ours will have to be a completely different team than the lifeless, unfocused bunch that didn't bother to show up at UTSA and rolled over for UAB to end last season. Yes, talent is a big issue after bringing in Johnson & dumping him after one year, but the attitudes & efforts I saw last year completely sucked. This program needs a boot in its a**, and I'm not sure if Monken has it in him to deliver it.

Harbor, I think has a lot to do with whoever your S&C coach is. I believe the S&C coach is the coach who breeds discipline

We had the same attitudes during the Snyder years and the first 2 years under Doc. It all starts with your HC then S&C coach
04-11-2015 12:50 AM
Advertisement

Shrack Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(04-11-2015 12:50 AM)Herd_fever Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 12:18 AM)HarborPointe Wrote:  I hope you're right, but nothing I've seen has remotely convinced me that Monken is a turnaround kind of guy. A good football coach? Sure, but it takes a little something extra to get a program out of a ditch.

Harbor, I think has a lot to do with whoever your S&C coach is. I believe the S&C coach is the coach who breeds discipline

We had the same attitudes during the Snyder years and the first 2 years under Doc. It all starts with your HC then S&C coach
USM hired UABs S&C coach after we dropped football... And he is good.
04-11-2015 03:13 AM
MadEagle Offline
All American

(04-10-2015 09:01 PM)wkuhilltopperfan Wrote:  WKU was the team that started the usm meltdown and have not played since

No that actually goes to Nebraska, most of us who actually follows college football knew after that game with the cornhuskers Southern Miss was about to trend downward. None of us knew it was going to be like this though.
04-11-2015 03:26 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(04-10-2015 07:01 PM)Noodles Wrote:  The party is just about over.
Get ready for C-USM 3.0.

I like the confidence. CUSA is always better when USM is playing well.
04-11-2015 06:28 AM
goherd24herdfans Offline
All American

I Root For: marshall

UAB had a pretty talented team last season. UTSA was a head scratcher sure, but not like they were the worst team in the country. Gotta give the man time. Is this his 3rd or 4th year?
04-11-2015 07:46 AM
Herd_fever Offline
Banned

With all that talent Along the I-10 corridor between Jacksonville and Houston, there is no reason why Southern Miss can't reload again
04-11-2015 07:48 AM
Advertisement

HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(04-11-2015 07:46 AM)goherd24herdfans Wrote:  

UAB had a pretty talented team last season. UTSA was a head scratcher sure, but not like they were the worst team in the country. Gotta give the man time. Is this his 3rd or 4th year?

It's not that we lost those games, it's how we lost them. The UAB game was the most pathetic display of energy on a sideline I've ever seen. Half the team wasn't even paying attention to the field. Even in the Johnson year when the players were in full revolt mode, those guys at least looked like they cared. They did not vs UAB, after 2 full seasons and 11 games under Monken's leadership.

Again, Monken is obviously a brilliant football guy, but the jury's still out on whether or not he's a head coach. He's a very matter-of-fact guy. If he thinks we're gonna get our butts kicked, it shows in his choice of words & mannerisms in public, and if we do get out butts kicked, it's "Oh, well. Nothing we can do about it now. On to next week." That level-headedness can be good in a lot of situations, but is it the right approach to snapping a bunch of 17-21-year-old young men out of a years-long funk?

Maybe the new S&C guy will provide the spark, and the TCU transfer at QB will be the real deal, but I'm not assuming any great change just because everybody's a year older & we finally have some depth. We barely beat Alcorn at home last year & ended the season losing 5 in a row. This group is still buried in stink & has a long way to dig out.
04-11-2015 08:50 AM
Herd_fever Offline
Banned

How many players did he dismiss? I know Doc in his first 3 years, he cleaned house and dismissed around 40 players
04-11-2015 08:52 AM
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
(04-10-2015 07:01 PM)Noodles Wrote:  The party is just about over.
Get ready for C-USM 3.0.

Oh joy.....Ever heard about proving something on the field before you mouth off. USM could get light years better and still just win 5-6 games. What has Monken done to prove he can win big this year? Hope it happens, but to come post that is just insane.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2015 09:16 AM by EagleRockCafe.)
04-11-2015 09:03 AM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

(04-11-2015 08:52 AM)Herd_fever Wrote:  How many players did he dismiss? I know Doc in his first 3 years, he cleaned house and dismissed around 40 players

I have no idea how many he kicked to the curb. I don't know how many he could afford to kick to the curb because we've been so desperate for bodies.

There's always some attrition with any coaching change. We had 2 changes in as many years, and it decimated our roster. Commits don't make it to campus. Players brought in to play a role by the previous coach no longer fit in a role with the new one, so they get disillusioned and leave. Some guys' personalities just don't jive anymore, so they end up gone. We may as well have been on major probation with all the scholarships that have been unused.
04-11-2015 09:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.