Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Shaka to replace Rick Barnes at Texas?
Bookmark and Share
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
Sure looks like Texas is serious, and so is Shaka. Could be a huge blow to VCU.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketba...ching-post
03-30-2015 05:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
I don't think it's the end of the world for VCU if Smart leaves for Texas. Smart has built a very, very good system at VCU and the Rams have typically made good hires in the past. Add in the fact they play in an attractive conference for coaches on the rise, and their recent success should help them to continue the positive trends going forward. They will be fine.
03-30-2015 06:10 PM
cshoff21 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Shaka to replace Rick Barnes at Texas?
This seems to be the way every one is leaning, but I think Smart commands a $12 million buyout. Marshall is another guy who might fit better.

Patterson, the UT AD, is a former NBA GM so it wouldnt be surprising if Texas winds up with a NBA guy
03-30-2015 06:50 PM
seaplus Offline
Water Engineer

(03-30-2015 06:50 PM)cshoff21 Wrote:  This seems to be the way every one is leaning, but I think Smart commands a $12 million buyout. Marshall is another guy who might fit better.

Patterson, the UT AD, is a former NBA GM so it wouldnt be surprising if Texas winds up with a NBA guy

I couldn't find the $12mil buyout anywhere, just that the school that hires Smart would have to play VCU home-and-home for two years or pay VCU $250k per game. but Smart has to pay $500k to VCU if he leaves before April 30 this year ... so that puts his buyout at $1.5mil.

my information is from last year but I can't find anything saying a buyout would cost more

also Texas could have waited until Wednesday to fire Barnes and it would have cost them $500k less to let him go. money doesn't seem to be an issue if Shaka wants Texas and Texas wants Shaka
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2015 07:11 PM by seaplus.)
03-30-2015 07:10 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(03-30-2015 07:10 PM)seaplus Wrote:  
(03-30-2015 06:50 PM)cshoff21 Wrote:  This seems to be the way every one is leaning, but I think Smart commands a $12 million buyout. Marshall is another guy who might fit better.

I couldn't find the $12mil buyout anywhere, just that the school that hires Smart would have to play VCU home-and-home for two years or pay VCU $250k per game. but Smart has to pay $500k to VCU if he leaves before April 30 this year ... so that puts his buyout at $1.5mil.

my information is from last year but I can't find anything saying a buyout would cost more

also Texas could have waited until Wednesday to fire Barnes and it would have cost them $500k less to let him go. money doesn't seem to be an issue if Shaka wants Texas and Texas wants Shaka

Texas is an old money school with lots of old money. Money is definitely not going to be an issue for them. Their pockets run deep from the success of their football program, I'm sure. That's not even mentioning alumni donors, etc. Financially, they have the clear upper hand on VCU in terms of waving the green stuff at Shaka.
03-30-2015 07:18 PM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

(03-30-2015 07:18 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  Texas is an old money school with lots of old money. Money is definitely not going to be an issue for them. Their pockets run deep from the success of their football program, I'm sure. That's not even mentioning alumni donors, etc. Financially, they have the clear upper hand on VCU in terms of waving the green stuff at Shaka.

Not to mention the Longhorn TV network. Financially speaking, UT is the healthiest of all athletic programs. Guys like Smart and Marshall are waiting for the perfect opportunity to make a move. I believe UT fits the bill, although I could see these guys waiting for a blue blood opportunity.
03-31-2015 10:30 AM
Advertisement

jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
Texas is a football school and really could care less about basketball when compared.The AD is an absolute JA and I think Smart should stay away from it.
On the other hand I hear Alalbama has 4 million a year on the table and they are at least east coast.
Take a vist to Austin,Texas and get back to me on that traffic situation.It might the worst in the country for a place that size,talk about poor planning.
03-31-2015 12:01 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

Strange. I've traveled all up and down the east coast. From New York to Florida, and have never driven through Alabama. Is it because it's between Maine and New York? Or Florida and Cuba?
03-31-2015 03:16 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(03-31-2015 12:01 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  Texas is a football school and really could care less about basketball when compared.The AD is an absolute JA and I think Smart should stay away from it.
On the other hand I hear Alalbama has 4 million a year on the table and they are at least east coast.
Take a vist to Austin,Texas and get back to me on that traffic situation.It might the worst in the country for a place that size,talk about poor planning.

You can't be serious at all here. You just can't. You start this post by slamming Texas' basketball program on the grounds that they're a football school... and then reference ALABAMA? LOL

I'm not sure your point, but if it's the fact that Alabama can possibly offer more money and they're both football schools then I'd counter with this:

Yes, they both prioritize football and rightfully so. Football at those schools is the clear money maker. That doesn't mean that neither can have a successful basketball program. Arguably, Texas has a successful basketball program. 16 NCAA tournament trips in the last 17 years under Barnes, vs whatever number Alabama has (not even close) in that same stretch of time. Texas is FAR AND AWAY a better situation for a bball HC. When is the last time Alabama ever had a bball player/recruit on the level of Kevin Durant? Oh that's right... never.

Now, I'll also play a little devil's advocate here. If there's a HC out there looking to make a move into the big leagues of the power conferences and could turn a program like Alabama into a perennial winner... it would be Shaka Smart or a coach of his pedigree. With the success he's tasted he'll be able to recruit well in a power conference, IMO. He plays a fun style of basketball to play and watch. Wherever he ends up, I think he'll be successful. You just get that feeling on the eye test alone with him.
03-31-2015 04:03 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(03-31-2015 03:16 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  Strange. I've traveled all up and down the east coast. From New York to Florida, and have never driven through Alabama. Is it because it's between Maine and New York? Or Florida and Cuba?

I've driven through Alabama twice. It sucked both times. I'm going to try and avoid it in June... we'll see what happens.
03-31-2015 04:04 PM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

I personally think Shaka is a good hire. As stated, he passes the eye test, but it has been interesting reading counterarguments. Never won a league title, hasn't been past the round of 32 other than the trip to the Final Four in 2011, and hasn't developed a big man.

I have no idea what Mullet is talking about. There is no advantage to Bama over Texas. Personally, I doubt traffic is a major driver in his final decision.
03-31-2015 04:45 PM
Advertisement

Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I remember entering a convenience store in Alabama. No reading materials whatsoever but I did notice samurai swords. Also Montgomery, the capital, was a ghost town, even on 4th of July weekend when we were passing through (on our way to New Orleans).

Strange state.
03-31-2015 04:53 PM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I am saying Austin,Tx sucks as a place to drive in and if you live there -you drive a lot.I don't like the Alabama job but they are paying a ton of cash.
I don't like the Texas for Shaka-he should out but maybe he has the itch to move on to bigger money.
03-31-2015 09:09 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(03-31-2015 09:09 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  I am saying Austin,Tx sucks as a place to drive in and if you live there -you drive a lot.I don't like the Alabama job but they are paying a ton of cash.
I don't like the Texas for Shaka-he should out but maybe he has the itch to move on to bigger money.

LOL. I've lived in several major cities across the country. EVERY city in America "sucks as a place to drive", even Wilmington, NC.

I don't even know why you think that would matter in a situation like this. I'm sure that's the last thing he's going to mull over, if even at all when going from a program like VCU to Texas.
03-31-2015 09:20 PM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

It is a problem if you live there and drive-I put it right up there with LA,NY,Boston but its not a major city and not even close to it.I doubt it keeps him from taking the job but it would keep me out of there for sure.
The bigger deal is the AD and the fan base.I don't think it is a good at all for him and I think he can get a bette gig at a real basketball program and not just a huge college with deep pockets,same for Alabama.VCU is a better basketball program right now.
By the way-Wilmington has no traffic problems that I can see when compared to big citiies.With Austin you get the headache and very little return.
03-31-2015 09:59 PM
seaplus Offline
Water Engineer

(03-31-2015 12:01 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  On the other hand I hear Alalbama has 4 million a year on the table and they are at least east coast.

[Image: indy10.gif]
03-31-2015 10:19 PM
Advertisement

bricksnivy Offline
All American

(03-31-2015 09:59 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  I think he can get a bette gig at a real basketball program and not just a huge college with deep pockets,same for Alabama.

This I agree with. Plus, Shaka's from Madison (I believe), so he could always wait out the aging Bo Ryan for the Wisconsin job.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2015 07:15 AM by bricksnivy.)
04-01-2015 07:10 AM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

(04-01-2015 07:10 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(03-31-2015 09:59 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  I think he can get a bette gig at a real basketball program and not just a huge college with deep pockets,same for Alabama.

This I agree with. Plus, Shaka's from Madison (I believe), so he could always wait out the aging Bo Ryan for the Wisconsin job.

I agree he can get a big time job but I doubt it would be at Wisconsin and it's pretty obvious why.He would have to go away 100% from what Ryan has been doing there for years and I am not sure if he get his type players to go to school there.He seemed like a perfect fit at NCSU and I am no sure why he passed on it.I don't see him at a blue blood program like UNC,Kansas but maybe Kentucky.
04-01-2015 07:54 AM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

I have never considered Texas a powerhouse in basketball. But Rick Barnes was there for 17 years and took them to post season play 16 of those years. That with questions on whether he got the best from the talent he had. Smart is one who could take a program like Texas and raise them to the next level. I don't think he would have a problem recruiting the type of players he likes to play at Texas.
But, no one knows what he is looking for, considering what he has already turned down.
04-01-2015 08:11 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-31-2015 10:19 PM)seaplus Wrote:  
(03-31-2015 12:01 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  On the other hand I hear Alalbama has 4 million a year on the table and they are at least east coast.

[Image: indy10.gif]

Geography is apparently not Mullet's strong suit. Personally I blame the public education system. And Pepperdine.
04-01-2015 08:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.