Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

How Many Coaches Have Survived The One More Season Ultimatum?
Bookmark and Share
JTS Offline
All American

I Root For:
How Many Coaches Have Survived The One More Season Ultimatum?
Has it ever worked? Your thoughts...
03-27-2015 10:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
RE: How Many Coaches Have Survived The One More Season Ultimatum?
Who has given the Ultimatum? This board? I'm sure he's losing a ton sleep over what we think
03-27-2015 10:18 AM
bmcgee81 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
(03-27-2015 10:18 AM)gotigers1 Wrote:  Who has given the Ultimatum? This board? I'm sure he's losing a ton sleep over what we think

I thought he didn't sleep anyways
03-27-2015 10:27 AM
SmokyTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
There is no ultimatum.
03-27-2015 10:47 AM
southpaw1 Offline
Southpaw

I Root For: Dry Trails
03-27-2015 11:02 AM
hopeum Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tiger basketbal
(03-27-2015 10:27 AM)bmcgee81 Wrote:  
(03-27-2015 10:18 AM)gotigers1 Wrote:  Who has given the Ultimatum? This board? I'm sure he's losing a ton sleep over what we think

He is losing sleep. It's not just this board, the entire universe knows next year is it. I have zero confidence that he can even backdoor into a Sweet 16. I think most of us feel like he would have found a way to not even get a bronze with the original dream team. Dude is done, now its just down to when, not if, not even remotely if. Just when.
03-27-2015 11:24 AM
Advertisement

TigerK Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-27-2015 11:24 AM)hopeum Wrote:  
(03-27-2015 10:27 AM)bmcgee81 Wrote:  

He is losing sleep. It's not just this board, the entire universe knows next year is it. I have zero confidence that he can even backdoor into a Sweet 16. I think most of us feel like he would have found a way to not even get a bronze with the original dream team. Dude is done, now its just down to when, not if, not even remotely if. Just when.

+1 on the just when.
03-27-2015 12:09 PM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-27-2015 10:47 AM)SmokyTiger Wrote:  There is no ultimatum.

Yes there is.

If next year isn't better, he's fired.
03-27-2015 12:15 PM
Poorwill Offline
Special Teams

(03-27-2015 12:15 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  

Yes there is.

You really should keep your use of power closer to the vest.
03-27-2015 12:33 PM
SmokyTiger Offline
Special Teams

Re: RE: How Many Coaches Have Survived The One More Season Ultimatum?
(03-27-2015 12:33 PM)Poorwill Wrote:  

Yes there is.

03-27-2015 12:56 PM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-27-2015 12:56 PM)SmokyTiger Wrote:  
(03-27-2015 12:33 PM)Poorwill Wrote:  

Yes there is.

It's general knowledge...you don't have to be a insider/booster to know that. It would be MORE shocking to EVERYONE if we kept Josh after ANOTHER bad year...

You 2 seem to be the only people who fail to grasp this...
03-27-2015 01:02 PM
Advertisement

George Can'tStandYa Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I would wager that these type of deals work exactly as they are designed to, it is a very loaded game that only ends one way. Either he has a subpar year, and he is gone, or he has a great year and he says screw you guys, and rides off to greener pastures. So, IMHO, this isn't about making a decision as much as setting up a timetable for a decision that is already made.
03-27-2015 01:19 PM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
Next year we'll probably be an NCAA bubble team. He'll show just enough improvement to get to year 8.
03-27-2015 02:47 PM
RekeHavoc Offline
#DoIt4Dez

(03-27-2015 02:47 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  Next year we'll probably be an NCAA bubble team. He'll show just enough improvement to get to year 8.

Of all the possible scenarios, this is by far my greatest fear.
03-27-2015 02:48 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

Yes there is.

If you mean not making the NIT then you may be right, but not making the NIT is very unlikely.

The most likely scenario is making the Ncaa as a 6 to12 seed, losing in the 1st or 2nd round and keeping his job.
03-28-2015 07:43 AM
George Can'tStandYa Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(03-27-2015 02:47 PM)bluebacker Wrote:  Next year we'll probably be an NCAA bubble team. He'll show just enough improvement to get to year 8.

I understand this concern, but in these situations there is no good enough. Either he does well enough to get another job offer (which he would take) or he gets fired. It's a fix, if he does well enough to keep his job here he will be somewhat in demand. If he doesn't he is gone. It is now important that he does so well enough to get another job, because it would be so much better financially for the University, not to mention making the season a lot more fun.
03-28-2015 08:31 AM
Advertisement

Grateful Tiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Antelope
(03-27-2015 10:12 AM)JTS Wrote:  Has it ever worked? Your thoughts...

Back to the op's original question, the most famous is coach K at Duke. I think it took ten years to make the tournament, could be wrong, but he was pretty much gone daddy gone until Christian Latener (? Sp) came along.
I am sure if someone wanted to waste enough time they could find other examples, but that also depends on your definition of "worked out". A closer to home example could be John Calipari, his seat was very hot before he started one of the most incredibly amazing runs in the history of NCAA hoops.
The fact that it took this long for someone to mention Cal shows the how short sighted our fans Are. I could be mistaken but only three Memphis coaches have made four NCAA tournaments in a row. Two of them got hammered by the NCAA!
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2015 09:00 AM by Grateful Tiger.)
03-28-2015 08:59 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
An expected down season has certainly turned the Internet fans into mean spirited comedians...and attendance has waned, although waned less than the last time Memphis had a similar struggling season, like it does at all schools who have a down step...

And while there is no make the Sweet Sixteen or lose your job declaration, there is likely the real idea that the team should show significant improvement from last year...I would suspect five to seven games, which would place team in the tourney with a solid seed and a better opportunity to win a few games, or in theory, all of them.

In terms of coaches where that pressure seemed to exist, Narcissist in 2006 felt it...and team went from one with several NBA level players in the NIT to the first of minimum Sweet sixteen runs. After Finch suffered a losing season in 1994, there was pressure for 1995, but instead of a fire able second straight mediocre season the team made the tourney as a six seed and made the Sweet sixteen.

So, locally, it seems our coaches have survived that, and with the exception, and it is a big exception, of Penny's Elite Eight tourney run, Pastner actually has performed better heading into that crucial season than the prior two.

Regardless, if I am Pastner, I leave if another successful season provides him the opportunity. Then another school will have a significantly more mature our of the box coach who is entering his prime years, very likely to address weaknesses that he does have.
03-28-2015 09:44 AM
boss man Offline
The Collapse is Imminent

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
I think Calipari was feeling a bit of a hot seat after the 2005 season, rumors were flying.

He worked with that older coach on the dribble drive offense, hooked up with the WWW pipeline, and had that incredible run that resulted in a vacated Final Four season and him leaving for Lexington just ahead of the NCAA posse.

#memphisiswhereiwanttobe

#strictliability
03-28-2015 10:02 AM
alcalde Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-28-2015 09:44 AM)Mimi Wrote:  An expected down season has certainly turned the Internet fans into mean spirited comedians...and attendance has waned, although waned less than the last time Memphis had a similar struggling season, like it does at all schools who have a down step...

And while there is no make the Sweet Sixteen or lose your job declaration, there is likely the real idea that the team should show significant improvement from last year...I would suspect five to seven games, which would place team in the tourney with a solid seed and a better opportunity to win a few games, or in theory, all of them.

In terms of coaches where that pressure seemed to exist, Narcissist in 2006 felt it...and team went from one with several NBA level players in the NIT to the first of minimum Sweet sixteen runs. After Finch suffered a losing season in 1994, there was pressure for 1995, but instead of a fire able second straight mediocre season the team made the tourney as a six seed and made the Sweet sixteen.

So, locally, it seems our coaches have survived that, and with the exception, and it is a big exception, of Penny's Elite Eight tourney run, Pastner actually has performed better heading into that crucial season than the prior two.

Regardless, if I am Pastner, I leave if another successful season provides him the opportunity. Then another school will have a significantly more mature our of the box coach who is entering his prime years, very likely to address weaknesses that he does have.

Finch had a similar issue that Josh has now. The only difference being that Finch was a local legend and related well to the kids and to the city, unlike Josh. Other worldly talent is what gave Finch some breathing room in the 90s. Great talent is what has gave Pastner his great record against non top 50 teams. In the end, neither of them is a good coach. And the intelligent posters on here know that when the talent well drys and our coach can no longer even draw above average talent any longer, losing seasons will become the norm. Was this season a down year and do we expect to improve next season? Of course, but do future seasons hold promise after Nichols and Shaq are gone? Not much
03-29-2015 05:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.